Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wild Flowers

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

This is certainly an opinion coming from my perspective, so I don't want to claim that this is the ultimate, best way for everyone at all times, etc.

I've held this view over the years that there is a spectrum of a view on how to live in the world.

On one end you have people who want to be hearty and resilient to life's challenges but don't put much stock in the beauty of the individual. I think of this sort of attitude as like lichen (the thing that lives on rocks). Lichen can grow and live in very harsh conditions, you can walk on it and it will be fine, etc.

On the other end of this spectrum are people who want to be beautiful people but don't put much stock in being hearty and resilient to life's challenges. I think of this sort of attitude as being like a hot house orchid. Orchids are incredibly beautiful flowers. But if you change the humidity or temperature by a few degrees will wilt and die.

I prefer being more like wild flowers (or maybe for myself more like day lilies). They are also beautiful, but thrive in the open, wild spaces. They can stand up to fluctuating conditions and bounce back if trodden on.

FosdickVastmindShoshin1lobstermarcitkoDavid

Comments

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Wildflowers are strong
    Wildflowers are bountiful
    Wildflowers are beautiful
    Wildflowers are free

lobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

I prefer being more like a little weed (dope plant) myself... ;)

Vastmindlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My thinking is, if you cannot be open to the beauty of the individual, or indeed the beauty of all of life’s various expressions, then why are you alive? Man does not live by bread alone, there also have to be roses, perfume, soft and wonderful things.

I’ve always had a liking for cherry blossom trees, I’ll be one of those.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I prefer being/resemble climbing roses.

Climbing roses are vigorous, …. Not only do they provide a plentiful amount of blooms and fragrance, but they can also play a strong and versatile utilitarian role in the garden. They can make a dramatic addition to a landscape. Be careful…stiff and thorny stems.

=)

personlobsterShoshin1David
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I have a small garden with day lilies. I praised wild flowers, but perhaps I'm more like a day lily. They're hearty perennials that only require a bit of maintenance pulling weeds and removing dead flower stalks. Mine bloom twice a summer and continue to grow.

@Jeroen said:
    My thinking is, if you cannot be open to the beauty of the individual, or indeed the beauty of all of life’s various expressions, then why are you alive?

Feeling like I'm making a contribution to the people that I love and society in general. I hope that's the right answer... what if its not?!

Man does not live by bread alone, there also have to be roses, perfume, soft and wonderful things.

Yes and you can't eat perfume.

marcitko
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Ah ha. That is why I would be a rosemary, sage, or thyme. A mint. Chives. Modified grass eg lemon grass. Or a Yew tree (edible berries but spit out the pips). So many choices.

Maybe I will just sit in the dark and grow into a mushroom. As we all do ... B)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 2

@person said:

And what of the ‘practical’ person who uproots the last rose bush in a hundred square miles just in order to plant a few more stalks of wheat?

It’s possible to appreciate the beautiful things in life, and still be a hardy survivalist.

@Jeroen said:

@person said:

And what of the ‘practical’ person who uproots the last rose bush in a hundred square miles just in order to plant a few more stalks of wheat?

I imagine there's a special place in hell for them along side the 'romantic' who uproots all the wheat to plant roses.

JeroenVastmindDavid

@person said:

@Jeroen said:

@person said:

I imagine there's a special place in hell for them along side the 'romantic' who uproots all the wheat to plant roses.

You’re being reasonable again. Might want to watch that ;)

edited July 2

@Jeroen said:

You’re being reasonable again. Might want to watch that ;)

Ditto

JeroenVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

... maybe I'll just be another blade clump of grass...
    https://jamyang.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/Planetary-Crisis-Summit-Report.pdf?

Vastmind
    edited August 5

I just went on vacation in the Colorado Rockies and got above the tree line a couple times. It got me rethinking a bit.

If you find yourself living in such a harsh environment then you probably should be more like lichen. Therefore if you find yourself living in an ideal environment the goal maybe should be more to be like an orchid.

The metaphor breaks down somewhat as human beings and their environments move and change throughout life. So I guess I'd say strive to find a healthy balance between beauty and resilience depending on the environment you find yourself in.

marcitkoJeroenVastmind

@person said:
    If you find yourself living in such a harsh environment then you probably should be more like lichen. Therefore if you find yourself living in an ideal environment the goal maybe should be more to be like an orchid.

Well living in a temperate environment where summer daytime temps are around 23 C and the nighttime temps are a cool 14 C is pretty ideal for a human being. But I doubt whether I should focus on being beautiful — I don’t have to attract pollinators through colour or creating sweet smelling nectar!

But given the spare time and inclination, I can spend time on a spiritual journey. Perhaps that is the equivalent of being a rare and delicate flower?

@Jeroen said:

But given the spare time and inclination, I can spend time on a spiritual journey. Perhaps that is the equivalent of being a rare and delicate flower?

Yeah, this is what I mean in the metaphor rather than being physically beautiful or something.