Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Giving Up?

Dear Friends of the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha,
As we may have guessed, we are not all going to be, in this very moment, lifetime or other indications, capable of giving up...

For example I am:

• Never going to be a Nun
  • Unable to fly,
  • Not seen any alien Buddhas at tea time
  • No enlightened AI to be sentient in my lifetime

Maybe it is time to give up extraordinary and be just so?

Iz plan! Maybe will give it up... o:)
https://tinybuddha.com/blog/letting-go-of-attachment-from-a-to-zen/

VastmindDagobahZenFosdickShoshin1Lionduck

Comments

• AvisitorAvisitor New York New

My question would be what or who is giving up? Do you mean this ego which has been trying to experience enlightenment for the past 50 or so years? Of course, the ego will never experience enlightenment due to the fact that enlightenment means freedom from the ego.

Hmm, deduction, .. never going to be a nun? Either you are a man or do not wish to become a nun? Unable to fly? Either you are not a bird or you do not go no airplanes? Wow, what else can I get wrong???

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

what else can I get wrong?

Asking questions maybe... <3

Avisitor
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran

How do you give up what was never yours to begin with?
    Give up this idea.

Avisitor

@lobster said:

what else can I get wrong?

Asking questions maybe... <3

One can not give up asking questions.
    But, one can stop answering questions.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Meanwhile...
    I tried displaying my phone content on my TV.
    I think I may have to give up swearing at technology... is so hard being in the world... and part of it... >:):angry::scream:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Relax, and just be.
    Remember we are only that which looks out of the eyes, hears with the ears, smells with the nose.
    Not the body, not the thoughts, not the emotions.

lobsterAvisitor
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Anger and its relative fear, are locked in my body AND certain triggers empower its Sith powers. Now, before sitting down to a computer or techno problem, I warn those within earshot of potential expletives. :angry::confounded:

I am not proud of this flaw in my nature. I can control it but I choose to let it manifest. It is not wrathful behaviour (skilful means) BUT a work in progress.

One day I will be like Baby Yoda (Grogu) versed in the Dark Arts but not seduced by them...
    Iz plan! >:)o:)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 7

@lobster said:
    Anger and its relative fear, are locked in my body

I understand that very well. I remember about a year ago when I was having experiences on the edge of sleep that I found myself unable to let go of my fears… it was a kind of drama to do with souls and being crippled in the afterlife, which raised a spectre of fear and anger. It passed, and I saw that it is again about having some kind of body, but this time a soul that has a light body, and can be crippled. How funny and absurd.

Many nondual spiritual teachers say, you cannot lose that which you are. Anything you gain you can also lose, so make sure to shed all wrong identifications. And if you are still losing things, then you haven’t yet reached what you are. The message is, just be, don’t cling. And don’t take it seriously.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

@lobster wrote :
    Meanwhile...
    I think I may have to give up swearing at technology... is so hard being in the world... and part of it... >:):angry::scream:

Zig Ziglar teaches us that there are people who have no problems. No problems at all. In fact, there are many, many of these people. And we can go visit them any time we like. They are in the cemetery.

So to have problems is to be alive! What are we doing today to celebrate these unmistakable manifestations of life?

VastmindShoshin1lobster
    edited July 8

@Jeroen said:
    Relax, and just be.
    Remember we are only that which looks out of the eyes, hears with the ears, smells with the nose.

If that were true, you are not the body, not the thoughts, not the emotions then what are you? Just some "that" which looks out of the eyes? I believe that whatever looks thru the eyes is part of the body. And this body is part of something bigger. Not the other way around. You are not inside this body. Your body is inside of you.

@Avisitor said:

@Jeroen said:
    Relax, and just be.

If that were true, you are not the body, not the thoughts, not the emotions then what are you? Just some "that" which looks out of the eyes? I believe that whatever looks thru the eyes is part of the body. And this body is part of something bigger. Not the other way around. You are not inside this body. Your body is inside of you.

What evidence do you have of this? The Buddha even says there is nothing at all, no-self, no soul. So why think that there is something bigger?

lobster
    edited July 9

@Steve_B said:

@lobster wrote :
    Meanwhile...

Zig Ziglar teaches us that there are people who have no problems. No problems at all. In fact, there are many, many of these people. And we can go visit them any time we like. They are in the cemetery.

So to have problems is to be alive! What are we doing today to celebrate these unmistakable manifestations of life?

So, do you go with the manifestations or not? Do you need to be dead and buried to have no problems? Is there another way?

Gain/loss,
    status/disgrace,
    censure/praise,
    pleasure/pain:
    these conditions among human beings
    are inconstant,
    impermanent,
    subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
    ponders these changing conditions.
    Desirable things don't charm the mind,
    undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming
    & rebelling are scattered,
    gone to their end,
    do not exist.
    Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
    he discerns rightly,
    has gone, beyond becoming,
    to the Further Shore.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.006.than.html

lobster

@Shoshin1 said:

I think I may have to give up swearing at technology...

Choose a new password :

potato

Sorry, password must contain at least 8 letters.

boiled potato

Sorry, password must contain at least one number.

1 boiled potato

Sorry, password cannot contain spaces

50fuckingboiledpotatoes

Sorry, password must contain capital letters.

50FUCKINGboiledpotatoes

Sorry, capital letters must not be consecutive.

IwillShove50FuckingBoiledPotatoesUpYourAss,IfYouDoNotGiveMeAccessImmediately

Sorry, password must not contain punctuation.

NowIamSeriouslyGettingPissedOffIwillShove50FuckingBoiledPotatoesUpYourAssIfYouDoNotGiveMeAccessImmediately

Sorry, that password is already in use!.
    Choose a new password :

It's all his fault!

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.4240252/man-who-made-passwords-hard-to-remember-regrets-rules-that-drive-people-crazy-1.4240255

Shoshin1lobster
    edited July 9

@Avisitor said:

@Jeroen said:
    What evidence do you have of this? The Buddha even says there is nothing at all, no-self, no soul. So why think that there is something bigger?

Nisargadatta once said, you cannot be anything that you observe, because all those things are the object of observation and you are the subject. Can an eye observe itself? So all the things you observe through any sense are ‘other’. It is an exclusive process, you can only say what you are not.

But that is part of the mystery of existence, that we experience it through the body and think we have a freedom of choice, while in fact we are part of the giant whole of the cosmos, shaped by our past experiences to do just certain things in the present in the way that the whole ordains.

It can be said that we are nothing other than consciousness, that through us the universe observes itself. That even our mind is a mechanism in the brain which reflects itself in consciousness, because we can observe our thoughts.

According to Osho just witnessing, so awareness without choices or judgments, leads to observing reality without the veils of the mind. We are not really what we think we are, and a real investigation of what is true is part of the spiritual journey which leads one within.

Avisitor

@Jeroen said:

@Avisitor said:

>

Evidence? Before enlightenment, chop wood carry water
    After enlightenment, chop wood carry water.

What evidence do you want? It is not there. For if, there is nothing at all, no self, no soul then what do you look for? And who is doing the looking?

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Heh!
    A Buddha eats just as a common mortal eats.
    A Buddha sleeps as a common mortal sleeps
    What them is the difference?
    A Buddha understands
    A common mortal guesses and speculates
    A Buddha arises from a common mortal
    A common mortal does not arise from a Buddha

Wine anyone?

lobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran
    edited July 23

Ignorance / Not knowing seeks to know itself, and in doing so it becomes knowing

Thus have I heard...

Awareness is fundamentally non-conceptual before thinking splits experience into subject and object. It is empty and so can contain everything including thought. It is boundless. And amazingly it is intrinsically knowing.

The Jewel is (already) in the Lotus ... In other words What we seek, we already are...

Or as Rumi would say "Everything you seek is already with you".

Om Mani Padme Hung

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 24

LOL
    Aren't we a One?
    Bit late for the Buddhist X-tian Anarchy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anarchy

We just have to be good bODHI NOW! :mrgreen:

I will be in the whine cellar, singin' mantra and breaking precepts if anyone needs me...