Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the Buddha an experimentalist?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

To a certain extent… he said his teachings should “be tested like a goldsmith tests gold in the market, by scratching and burning and weighing.”

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Yes.

marcitkoShoshin1Vastmindlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Additionally everyone has different dispositions and are at different places on the path. Absent a truly wise, qualified teacher to direct us step by step experimentation is the way.

The best medicine is that which is customized to the individual. Trying to strictly follow the written teaching might not be that fruitful.

marcitkolobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

He was a Trial and Errorist

marcitkolobsterDagobahZen
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

Buddhism is a teaching of action, of application. Teachings without action are like trying to start a fire by describing the flame. Application, action, is needed to prove the teaching.
    1. Does the teaching make sense?
    2. Can it be rationally and universally applied - can it be tested?
    3. Does the practice (application) render positive results?
    One might say,
    "As I have been practicing, I have noticed my environment is better, people are
    friendlier."
    However, as the body bends, so must the shadow follow - As one's environment is a reflection of oneself, (the shadow) it is the practitioner (the body) who has changed. His or her environment reflect that change.

As I am a slow writer and the hours grow late, I must stop (or pause) here.

Peace to all

Vastmindlobstermarcitko
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Go on - try it yourself!" as Neil Buchanan (Art Attack, UK kid's TV programme) would say.
    All learning is experimental.

lobsterFosdickLionduckDagobahZen
  • paulysotoopaulysotoo usa Veteran

(power of bodhi-quan yin: me in my me feminine nature in emptyness my afterlife place is Sambodhi changes in salvation: fun stuff) (switch females have the key to salvation in the bodhi nature)
    [

(toxic masculinity: love woman and a child of god, queen)
    [

edited July 16

(have fun tranforming your bodhi lifestyle:with a handful of leaves your bodhi life bears many fruit,ps i know what my butterfly family is doing, change is a good thing, learn and grow is our family creed)
    [

Then again, maybe too much experimentation can go wrong and isn't always for the best and there is much merit in following an established path.

lobster

(let our bodhi friend stan bush give us a hope and future:my hope have a blast in your bodhi that the supreme mom earth gives,my victourios friends we will meet in heaven on earth again....Sam.0.holy space,my mom is lady liberty queen of heaven and earth)
    [

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

Gambling on true love.

• LostieLostie Veteran
    edited July 19

@person said:
    Then again, maybe too much experimentation can go wrong and isn't always for the best and there is much merit in following an established path.

Well since The Buddha has no established path to follow so to speak, that would make him an experimentalist. I’m glad I am one too.

@Lostie said:

@person said:

Well since The Buddha has no established path to follow so to speak, that would make him an experimentalist. I’m glad I am one too.

I think that statement was meant to be an addendum to my first post where I was pro experimentation. Sort of as a caution or a tempering of a level of experimentation where you lose track of the path and genuine spiritual development.

@person said:
    Additionally everyone has different dispositions and are at different places on the path. Absent a truly wise, qualified teacher to direct us step by step experimentation is the way.

The best medicine is that which is customized to the individual. Trying to strictly follow the written teaching might not be that fruitful.

Probably where I come down is to take the established teachings, select which are appropriate for your spot on the path and modify them or experiment to better suit them to your disposition.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@person said:
    Probably where I come down is to take the established teachings, select which are appropriate for your spot on the path and modify them or experiment to better suit them to your disposition.

Yesterday whilst drinking wine with Amitaba on a very pleasant visit to the hellrealms (kinda the opposite of the PuréeLands) I:

• became a little tipsy but was unable to taste the blood (A Christian thing)
    • to make up for my sines, I watched 'Pilgramage' series 1 on the BBC
    • found one of my time machines https://tmxxine.tumblr.com/

Amitaba says hi and send more fish

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The Buddha may be an experimentalist, but what about his followers, do they not now have a path to follow?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 22

@Jeroen said:
    The Buddha may be an experimentalist, but what about his followers, do they not now have a path to follow?

Ahhh...Did not the Buddha admonish his followers to be "scientists" testing out the validity of his truths?
    Are Buddhist followers on the Buddha's path not continually experimenting with each moment, where best to place their next step on that path?
    Is the pilgrim, who no longer understands beginner's mind, working only from rote, attached to the results of some past step upon the path, really being the experimentalist that the Buddha called for?

The Buddha's path itself does not prevent us from being experimentalists.
    Being an experimentalist is actually one of its requirements.

Jeroenlobstermarcitko
  • LostieLostie Veteran

Maybe I should add by saying I’m an experimentalist only in my non-spiritual paths.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

There is somewhere unspiritual? [lobster faints] Gosh, who would have thought... B)

LionduckShoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

He was an experientialist...

How would one know truth, if not through experiential understanding...

lobster