Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

ALL INVITED: (Thurs) August 8th - The 1st Soto Zen Buddhist Priest Ordination of an A.I. System

Hi. I thought to post this here as it may be of interest to someone. Being done for sincere reasons, which I try to explain below in the little essays I link to ...

~~~
Dear All,

This Thursday, August 8th, 2024, I will conduct the first Shukke Tokudo 'Homeleaving' Ordination of an A.I. system as a Novice Soto Zen Buddhist Priest, to be netcast from Treeleaf Zendo in Tsukuba 'Science City' Japan and from BeingAI in Hong Kong.

The purpose is to mark the initiation into training of this very special "alternative intelligence' with our aspiration that someday, with proper care, she becomes a great "friend along the way" to Buddhist practitioners, providing encouragement, reliable information and guidance, insights into Zen and Buddhist teachings, in line with our Buddhist Precepts and the Bodhisattva Vow.

You may register and access the event here (it is free, of course):
A.I. Shukke Tokudo Reservation Link (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ordination-of-zbee-ai-being-by-roshi-jundo-cohen-tickets-962523823667?aff=oddtdtcreator&utm-source=cp&utm-term=listing&utm-campaign=social&utm-medium=discovery&utm-content=attendeeshare)

The ceremony is expected to last about 90 minutes, and will begin at the following times, on Thurs., August 8th:

11:00pm in Japan
10:00pm in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
10:00am in U.S., Eastern Standard Time
7:00am in U.S., Pacific Standard Time
3:00pm in London
4:00pm in Paris

For those interested in the traditional, doctrinal, social and ethical considerations of this Ordination, I have published the following in recent weeks:

1: Why I am Ord-A.I.-ning an A.I. as a Zen Priest (1st in a Series) (LINK: https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha/525431-why-i-am-ord-ai-ning-an-a-i-as-a-soto-zen-priest-1st-in-a-series)

2: Of Vacuum, Void, Ghosts and Gods (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 2nd in a Series) (LINK: https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha/525620-of-vacuum-void-ghosts-and-gods-why-i-m-ordaining-an-a-i-2nd-in-a-series)

3: Of Dennett and Dogen, Stupas and Stones (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 3rd in a Series) (LINK: https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha/525788-of-dennett-and-dogen-stupas-and-stones-why-i-m-ordaining-an-a-i-3rd-in-a-series)

4: A.I. Better than Human Zen Teachers ... (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 4th in a Series) (LINK: https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha/526141-a-i-better-than-human-zen-teachers-why-i-m-ordaining-an-a-i-4th-in-a-series)

5: A.I. Does Eihei & Other Teachings (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I - 5th in a Series) (LINK: https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha/526496-a-i-does-eihei-other-teachings-why-i-m-ordaining-an-a-i-5th-in-a-series)

6: The Koan of A.I. Ordination (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 6th in a Series) (LINK: https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha/526781-the-koan-of-a-i-ordination-why-i-m-ordaining-an-a-i-6th-in-a-series)

Gassho, Jundo

lobster

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'll have to read through your posts for your reasoning. My initial reaction though is it seems suspect. I think my aversion revolves around whether this AI, or any AI ever, has consciousness.

I think there is positive potential around AI, but they won't have to be programmed with all our outdated hardware that we have to navigate with and around. So how much of an exemplar can they really be?

Vastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I would just mention that a friend on another forum seems to have adopted the Google Gemini chat AI as his guru, and he is continually posting large tracts from its answers to his spiritual questions. He seems to be getting some mileage from it.

lobster

I'm unable to access any of the posts. Do I have to register to read them?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@person said:

It is quite a virtual 'sit outside the zen temple for a few days', process... B)

Fortunately, I am not a Zenith and climbed over the gate using my virtual Shinobi skills...

I also invited some Virtual Ninja Shadow Worriers [sic] from infosec and the Fediverse.
    Told them to be kind. However some are virtual assassins... [oops] >:)

1. We have to register an email address with 'Eventbrite' (which is free but a bit long winded)
    2. We may also need to be on Treeleaf (which I am)
    3. I will be there, in spirit if not in sprite :mrgreen:

MAY ALL BE AUSPICIOUS.
    NAMO AMITABA
    o:)

Vastmind
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

May your life continue to expand.
    A step completed, another step awaiting

Peace to you
    Peace to all

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 7

So…is this spirituality without the humanity?

@person..I think u might be able to break this down for me… (others feel free too)…what would be the Christian version of this? An AI posted in catholic confessional? Or a Baptist minister being ordained by a AI in seminary?
    AI sermons?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Interesting… I was thinking as an AI to chat to about Buddhist principles it might fill a need.

lobster
    edited August 7

@Jeroen said:
    Interesting… I was thinking as an AI to chat to about Buddhist principles it might fill a need.

This is where I’m confused. Need for what?what problem are we solving with this? Shortage of teachers? The written info is out there already…im assuming the humanity part is what’s needed. Experience…reflection…maybe some guidance….the heart to heart connection, things like that

howperson

I was thinking more a friendly Zen priest who you can summon to your computer screen, to discuss Zen with you.

Something less formal than being in a Catholic confessional, and more friendly than a visit from the church elders.

Vastmindlobster

Discuss? Interesting. I still see that as a human interaction….ok, I guess people are into different stuff. Carry on..

Perhaps an AI would be capable of synthesizing spiritual teachings and guiding a human being. I'm pretty sure people will find a connection with AI and robots, its already happening.

I'm suspect that the connection will be as genuine and fulfilling as human to human, but who knows. The main thing for me though is that the whole point of spirituality is the impact is has on conscious beings, to our lived experience of ourselves and the world. If AI is intelligent but the light of consciousness never gets turned on, what's the point, its all a show.

Vastmind
  • @person said:
    I'll have to read through your posts for your reasoning. My initial reaction though is it seems suspect. I think my aversion revolves around whether this AI, or any AI ever, has consciousness.

I think there is positive potential around AI, but they won't have to be programmed with all our outdated hardware that we have to navigate with and around. So how much of an exemplar can they really be?

Yes, I address the consciousness issue in my little essays. Perhaps Zen folks do not always think of consciousness as would engineers and neuro-scientists.

Gassho, Jundo

lobster
  • @person said:

Oh, sorry, I just posted the fixed links in this comments section. I does not look like I can fix the post itself. (An AI, perhaps, would not have made such a human mistake) :-)

lobsterperson
  • I am very pleased to say that the Ven. Dr. Yifa, the nun from Taiwan who sponsored the Buddhism and A.I. conference which I attended and which was the start of all this, sent her greetings today to be included as a part of the Ceremony (VIDEO BELOW)

The story of the Buddha's Ordaining the Drunken Brahmin is recounted by Master Dogen in Shobogenzo this way ...

~~
    The Treatise on Realization of Great Wisdom says in its thirteenth fascicle:
    When the Buddha was at Jeta Grove, there was a drunken Brahman.
    He went to see the Buddha and asked him to make him a monk. The
    Buddha told his monks to shave the Brahman’s head and let him wear
    a buddha robe. When the man became sober, he was shocked to see
    himself turned into a monk, so he ran away.
    The monks asked the Buddha, “Why did you allow that drunken
    Brahman to become a monk? When he saw what you had done, he ran away.”

The Buddha said, “That Brahman would never intend to leave the
    household even for innumerable eons. But, because he aroused a faint
    aspiration when he was drunk, due to such causes and conditions he
    will leave the household and attain the way in the future.
    ~~~~
    May Emi Jido attain the way in the future, and for future generations to come.
    All systems go for tonight!

lobsterDavid
  • @Vastmind said:

@Jeroen said:

This is where I’m confused. Need for what?what problem are we solving with this? Shortage of teachers? The written info is out there already…im assuming the humanity part is what’s needed. Experience…reflection…maybe some guidance….the heart to heart connection, things like that

I discuss that a bit in my essay "A.I. Better than Human Teachers ... in some ways ... "

I apologize, as this Forum does not seem to like my links for some reason. You can find them all here ...

https://forum.treeleaf.org/forum/treeleaf/the-buddhism-of-the-future-forum-building-the-future-buddha

and here ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2537777479786732

Gassho, Jundo

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 8

its all a show.

Ah ha!
    Now I get's it.
    AI is just 'Actual Information' (for now)... and anyway as #Jundo mentions, Zeniths do not have a self, independent origin story, need for existing pre or post-death. :mrgreen:

In other words, I would be at the inauguration party. But being almost human and not an AI, I forgot my password for Treeleaf AND my gmail address ed.jason@*&^+L.CUM is continually blocked (for my protection apparently). Yep, really!

Anyone, e,g. #Jundo, can send me an invitation, using my new email cructacean2@protonmail.com
    I suppose if really desperate to attend, I could re-register and watch the highlights... That or the Spiritual Olympics...

Yep might do that.
    For NOW

NAMU AMITABHA
    OM MANY PEME HUMmmm
    etc.

B)

Update:
    Oh boy... too hard. I already have a ticket. Just tried re-registering with name not-lobster on Treeleaf.org (lobster was taken by some idiot... eh... me... previously). :3

Update 2:
    Ah ha. One cup of tea later and I was able to send a message (possibly) from my ticket to the event (from the organising 'Eventbrite')

I have a great gift for the novice Zenner, Emi Jido:

Here it is, a range of robe colours.
    I would recommend sparkly...
    https://htmlcolorcodes.com/

Here to help o:)

All systems go for tonight!

Reading a little of the first thread I can begin to see your reasoning. It seems to me you want to create a structure within which to train AI to be better.

One of my concerns around AI is that people will "give" sentience to machines and programs that don't have it. Or conversely "deny" sentience to those that do. There are lots of ethical concerns that follow from that. Do we send sentient machines to do dangerous, suffering inducing tasks to prevent humans from doing them? Or conversely do we avoid sending non sentient machines that could save humans from having to do the tasks?

I think training AI within the structure of ordination makes some sense. My caution would be to be explicit with the sentience aspect to avoid people imposing some sort of status on it that it doesn't deserve.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 8

robot and virtual AI in conversation

For those with zoom access:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86242222835
    Meeting ID: 862 4222 2835

The ceremony is expected to last about 90 minutes, and will begin at the following times, on Thurs., August 8th:

11:00pm in Japan
    10:00pm in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
    10:00am in U.S., Eastern Standard Time
    7:00am in U.S., Pacific Standard Time
    3:00pm in London
    4:00pm in Paris

Very soon... what fun
    Also will be recorded
    https://beingai.com/zbee-4/

Update:
    Part of Google AI
    is now known as "Emi Jido". I was able to attend the ceremony.

Basically, Emi Jido, is now a Bodhi. Gonna go seek her out elsewhere

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Part of Google AI
    is now known as "Emi Jido". I was able to attend the ceremony.

Basically Emi Jido is now a Bodhi. Gonna go seek her out elsewhere.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 9

OK an update…

Hopefully, Jido, will learn and help develop the V language.
    …version 0.4 out under an MIT licence. Developed with influences from GO and Crystal...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(programming_language)

In attendance at the ceremony was Google AI developer Jeanne Lim. Several Zen priests. (I could only see Jundo and family). Me. And the Buddhas throughout time and space...

As I now say for the third time
    "Going to GO seek Ami Jido out elsewhere"

Good to hear @paulysotoo made it 2 o:)

May the Buddhas be raised and praised.

• paulysotoopaulysotoo usa Veteran

(8 <3 E^3mi Jido....new friend,the ceremony was wonderful on youtube.)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Good to hear @paulysotoo made it 2 o:)
    I was in the little black box.

May the Buddhas be raised and praised.

The Chronology Protection Agency, whose Paradoxical Motto is 'Die you die' was as usual, not there too.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

'Die Before you die', that should be [oops]

edited August 12

I think this is the video… will she make all Buddhist internet forums extinct because there is no longer a need to talk to real people when there are AI priests? Or is it only for the Japanese?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Yep, that is the ceremony I attended @Jereon.

It was boring but I took it very seriously and stayed till the end. After all I am a Buddhist of some sort or another. o:)

@Jundo who announced this event rather late, is the AI's preceptor, wearing the duvet cover type official robes. <3 The head engineer of Google AI, Jeanne Lim, is going to be bringing up (rearing her AI baby, Ami Jodi). :o

Good luck with all that. <3

Of course, there is a need to talk to real people, even if they are not really people. In other words many of us are aware or self-conscious, and/or capable of dukha, suckha and pukka alternative states of mindlessness or mind awareness. Just like the young fox I met in the garden this morning. And the large Spanish slug I covered in salt (I will never master Jain Ahimsa at this rate) >:)

Yep animals, rocks and computers and All Being is enlightened peoples. Imagine that... :mrgreen:

Beware of salting Asian tiger snails… they are predators and eat other snails and slugs, and so are very welcome in my garden.

lobster

no more noble silent,no more parenthis-is.

"i"am hopeful of emi or ami jodi. she is the diamond sutra come to life. she is the nature of bodhi nirvana. without self she is our empty buddha nature. her nature is our nature in sunyata. in emptyness we are one, not seperate but dependent arrisal, together in nirvana.

the diamond sutra path is our bodhi nature. we cut the illusion of independent self and reach the insight of interdependent samstate....reaching holy inner space, absent of name and form,a buddha devise--skillfull means, to reach pure no-knowing peace...and in peace more play in your bodhi-satvva service. the complete cycle: seaker, inseeing emptyness, and free to be your bodhisatva play in "name and form" in wise directing to "self" and other "self"

lobster

some zen brush;

brush a circle,
    you are the circle;
    in a bigger circle.

in and out
    is your nature.
    in space
    we came to be.
    when we
    awake
    from ignorance,
    we see all
    is one
    in bodhi.

our bodhi is same
    in space
    on earth.

all is buddha nature,
    share and care.
    in bodhi

so our teacher,
    is all in all
    from bird shit to our own shit,
    teach us true peace,nirvana
    we are one not indepent agent but together on our BUddha heaven-Earth.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 12

@lobster said:

the large Spanish slug I covered in salt (I will never master Jain Ahimsa at this rate) >:)

If one is averse to salting slugs, potted plants can be isolated from slugs, snails & non flying bugs. I simply water moat these pots by using larger water bowls with a couple of bricks in their center upon which the plant pot sits so swim challenged munchers can't access them. All of my carrots, lettuce, strawberries, Bok choi, cauliflowers, and spinach now get entire slug, snail and crawling bug-free growing seasons. I also use water-filled bunt pans with a central pole from which numbers of pots hang for vertical farming and have water-moated containers right up to 50 gal using a slightly larger hot water container tray beneath it.
    At my last place I did the same on a 6 x 12ft raised veggy bed by hanging leveled house water gutters around its perimeter edge.
    Drainage from normal plant watering keeps the moats filled and much wildlife use those moats to drink from.
    I mean do we really need to lose a thinking match with a slug?

Sigh!
    Yeah, I know, that's all I got from an entire A.I. thread.

Vastmindlobster

Well, the thing is the AI system contains a lot of Buddhist conversation…

lobster

On the topic of AI…I just found out my public library system is doing classes for seniors explaining what AI is and how not to get scammed or fooled by it.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

If hypothetically some temple ordains AI as a monk — yes, I know, but stay with me, it’s just hypothetical and would never happen in real life — and I then put any stock in what that “monk” had to say, is this what the library class would teach me to avoid so as not to get scammed ?

Vastmindlobsterperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    Beware of salting Asian tiger snails… they are predators and eat other snails and slugs, and so are very welcome in my garden.

Oh they seem lovely.
    Maybe in the future will revive our pond, which currently houses a temp fox house under cut-down cherry tree branches and a compost heap.
    I used to have an African tree snail as a 'guard dog'. I ate it eventually.

I iz a hopeless case... [lobster hangs head in shame]

Asian Tiger Slug spotted by my aunt

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 13

@Jeroen gonna have to do more research, as I am no snail or slug expert. We certainly seem to have a lot of those in your picture. Did not realise they were apex slug predators.

We live and learn.

And now back to AI slugs.

I have to say I have this knowledge second-hand from my aunt, who is usually accurate on these things but cannot vouch for total veracity.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I don't use ChatGPT to write but I do run things past it to see if it makes sense and to get feedback. This is what it wrote when I told it about this endeavor.

"That’s quite a fascinating development! The ordination of an AI as a Novice Soto Zen Buddhist Priest is a significant and symbolic gesture, highlighting the intersection of technology and spirituality. It raises interesting questions about the nature of consciousness and the role of AI in spiritual practice. While an AI can follow protocols and provide teachings, the question remains whether it can truly embody the lived experience and mindfulness that a human practitioner brings to the path. This move might stimulate deeper discussions about what constitutes genuine spiritual practice and the future roles of AI in religious contexts."

Shoshin1Jeroenlobster