Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeking joy

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I was going to continue my spiritual search, but I have found it has turned into something serious. Which to me means that some of the life is going out of it. The spiritual should pay homage to life, should be life-positive, not dry and serious.

Osho said, the search for joy becomes the beginning of a long pilgrimage towards God, the essence. So I was thinking, where do I find my joy? Where shall I set my feet upon the path? A few things that give me joy…

• My morning coffee
  • Using my body, in bicycling or even a bit of gardening
  • Making things out of wood or clay

It feels like a daily meditation on the nature of joy would do me much good, if I can discover how to meditate without inquiring with the mind. I have spent too much time and energy fighting darkness, now it is time to search for joy and light.

lobstermarcitkopersonFosdickShoshin1Vastmind

Comments

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

Can you make me Golem please? I just been doing my bit of gardening. Rehoused some tarragon, potted a bee friendly African herb. Been for walkies. Now time to terrorise the AI interweb... :mrgreen:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Other things that give me joy…

• Positive stories, such as those in Studio Ghibli films
    • Loving and being loved, hugs

I could spend more time on these activities, and so gain more joy. But there is more to it than that. Meditating on these things means I consciously give my energy and attention to my joy, not to the negative things that dwell.

During that moment when I was napping I could feel my presence becoming lighter and clearer, less constrained by heaviness and blockages. My energy feels very light now.

Can’t make a Golem, @lobster. What would Rabbi Judah think!

lobster
  • Many things and actions bring joy, Bit I will begin with a true smile.

lobsterShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Joy is more than mere pleasure… it’s like comparing eating chocolate with a potato dish. The chocolate is delicious, briefly stimulating and leaves you wanting more, while a potato dish is what’s truly nourishing and sustains you. Joy comes from deep inside while pleasure just dances on the tastebuds.

lobstermarcitko
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

Seeking joy

Joy is waking up every morning to what the day has on offer...

Reminding me of this:

This being human is a guest house.
    Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
    some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
    Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still, treat each guest honorably.
    He may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
    meet them at the door laughing,
    and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
    because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

~Rumi~

Fosdicklobster
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Not to forget, Joy is a mental state. Like other mental states, we can very often choose whether to be in it or not. It doesn't have to be a conditioned response to objects or circumstances, it does not have to be a reaction to stimuli.

personlobsterVastmindShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

Well said @Fosdick 🤍
    My feeling is that everybodhi, whatever their inspiration/experience level of insight or ignorance… has an offering, medicine, potential part in our unfolding. ⚛️

As ever, our impediments and crazy, can be the very wrathful, last Buddhas. As always we move to our first loves, glimmers, hopes and highest aspirations. o:)

In other words, the easy ones first. ⛩️

Fosdick