Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mt Everest cleanup 2.0

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Buddhist nation Nepal and a drone manufacturer in majority Buddhist China, have signed an agreement to supply Mount Everest’s Buddhist authorities with heavy lift drones that will help clear trash off Everest’s holy slopes.

Dealing with trash on the world’s highest mountain is a complex and multifaceted operation, but the drones, piloted by the same Sherpa porters who for decades have been clearing trash on foot, will allow them to work in the most dangerous areas without risk to their lives.

“Yes, there are concerns that the machines may actually cut jobs. But our sole purpose is to reduce potential deaths in the Khumbu Icefall, the danger zone,” said Bhusal. “We will train Sherpas, as drone operators cannot handle tasks at the higher camps. In the future, all work will be done by Sherpas.”

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/buddhist-nations-team-up-to-use-heavy-lifting-drones-to-clear-everest-slopes-of-trash/

personJeroenShoshin1lobstermarcitkoDagobahZen

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The whole fascination with visiting the peak of the highest mountain… and what do we leave? Thrash and piles of shit.

lobsterVastmindDagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

Tee hee we does drink the kool-aid @Jeroen?
    Great news @Vastmind. I wonder if the bucket A-listers will be plogging their rubbish down with them... oh wait that is not a thing yet...

I can just about make it to a plastic cauldron at the bottom of the garden, we recently bought at a craft shop. I hope to fill it with broken Buddhas, olde lobsters, broken fairies and other abandoned statutes... eh status statues. Or maybe drill drainage holes and plant something in it. Or maybe just fill it with water for the thirsty bees, foxes and... sorry what were we talking about again?

Ah yes butterflys [I think it was]... :mrgreen:

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 15

I wonder, like with helicopters, how diminished their lift capacities would be at those altitudes. I mean, there must be a reason why they not currently using drones to resupply any climbing teams with any emergency supplies.

marcitkoVastmind
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited August 15

At this point climbing Everest is close to another tourist destination. The line to summit is like a queue for a Disneyland ride.

VastmindShoshin1DagobahZenKotishka
  • Drones removing trash from Everest sounds very useful. Sherpas being operators is very nice. If drones will be able to remove trash, they will also be able to fly in supplies, which should increase safety and lower casualties.
    Sometimes a road is expanded to reduce congestion but then people just drive more there or purchase more cars. I hope it won't be like that. For instance, people could conclude that now that there are drones, they don't have to take trash down, or due to increased safety even more people could want to go up.
    I'm waiting for a cable-car to be built up Everest. I'll be first in line! 😂

personVastmind