Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On Christa Pike

RobinHRobinH Europe Explorer

When I first heard about the upcoming execution of Christa Pike I wondered what would be a most noble way to act if I were to be in her place. I felt like a method that requires the least assistance from others would be that, because I would not want anyone to have bad karma by essentially taking my life, following orders from above. But then I read about how Christa was practicing Buddhism these past years and that she did not want to choose her own method of execution because by doing so, she'd be an active participant in taking her own life, which is strictly forbidden by Buddhism. And then I thought about the tale of Prince Mahasattva, who voluntarily offered his own life and body to feed a starving family of tigers. I wonder what you think about all this and the unfortunately prolonged suffering of Christa Pike that came from the two botched execution attempts. Is there a clear right or wrong path for someone like her once the die is cast?

Comments

  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

    I'm by no means an expert, but I think acceptance of what is would be the choice I would try to take. My heart aches for what's happened, and I am firmly anti capital punishment. I have been all my life since I could understand what it is.

    I'm actually quite concerned for the victim's parents as they have made some disturbing (to me) comments on Christa and her current suffering.

    RobinH
  • JeroenJeroen Not all those who wander are lost Netherlands Veteran

    I read up on the Wikipedia page, I didn’t know the case. First of all, I think it is somewhat absurd to now keep her in intensive care on a ventilator machine, while first they try to take her life by lethal injection.

  • RobinHRobinH Europe Explorer

    @Jeroen said:
    I read up on the Wikipedia page, I didn’t know the case. First of all, I think it is somewhat absurd to now keep her in intensive care on a ventilator machine, while first they try to take her life by lethal injection.

    I'm sure her doctors feel the same way. Especially knowing that another attempt to execute her is a very real possibility once her health is restored. Her entire life was tragic and although I wish for the family of her victim to find peace too, I wish more people would want to prevent such through humane ways as opposed to just take revenge with extreme cruelty.

Sign In or Register to comment.