Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Dear Simon and Brigid:

Thanks for making me smile. :)
  • edited March 2007
    Hi all
    I'm new here...and a tad shy
    but I'll get quite chatty as I become more comfortable
    So Look out
    Anyway I am a stay at home mom and have been studying Buddhism for about 2 years but I have decided to buckle down and learn as much as I can now. I love this forum, very friendly people and seems to be a relaxing atmosphere: No judging or calling newbies like me a doofus! LOL

I'm 35, married to my best friend, 1 daughter 1 stepdaughter, 1 stepson
    Love cats (all animals really)reading, drawing, like stuff about the old west(books, movies, documentaries, etc).

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

P.S. My real name is Jackie, and I don't mind if you call me that.

Pnutbudder
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Hi Pnutbuddah...

Nice to see you here. :)

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Hi all
    I'm new here...and a tad shy
    but I'll get quite chatty as I become more comfortable
    So Look out
    Anyway I am a stay at home mom and have been studying Buddhism for about 2 years but I have decided to buckle down and learn as much as I can now. I love this forum, very friendly people and seems to be a relaxing atmosphere: No judging or calling newbies like me a doofus! LOL

I'm 35, married to my best friend, 1 daughter 1 stepdaughter, 1 stepson
    Love cats (all animals really)reading, drawing, like stuff about the old west(books, movies, documentaries, etc).

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

P.S. My real name is Jackie, and I don't mind if you call me that.

Pnutbudder

Does your husband know you're married to your best friend? Yikes!

Welcome, and please excuse the occasional levity. I grew up in Rockford, so I know Illinois! Please accept my deepest condolences...

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Welcome, Jackie.

Do ignore Palzang when he's striving for humour (or, in his case. humor). He ias improving tho', which is more than can be said for others (bf, you know who you are!)

This is a good place, with good people and I have learned an enormous amount from them.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    My prayer is that if I practice hard every day I'll become half as funny as bf!

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Welcome Jackie. I'm still pretty new here too. I've found a great wealth of info from just looking back on past conversations. And the "How was your day?" thread is outstanding. I'm sure you'll enjoy the site. Take care.

Adam
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Subakh ul kuhar, everyone!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Please don't swear at us in Klingon, Jason! :tongue2:

Palzang
    edited March 2007
    Elohim wrote:
    Subakh ul kuhar, everyone!

Subakh un Nar, Jason.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Hiya, Jackie! Nice to meet you! Haven't we met before? (MySpace?)
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks for the great welcome everyone! I'm finding great new friends to talk to and I am no longer that "weirdo" Buddhist living in the sticks of southern Illinois LOL

Good to see you here Brigid!

And as for Palzang's sense of humor....It's weird and wicked like mine :P I can take it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    And as for Palzang's sense of humor....It's weird and wicked like mine :P I can take it.

Whew, that's a relief!

As for Southern Illinois (aka Little Egypt, in case you don't know), that's a horse of a completely different color. A completely different country than Northern Illinois. It's called Little Egypt, for you across the pond, because A) Cairo (pronounced "Kayro", not "Kiro" - that's in Egypt) is the big city there, and B) because of all the coal mines which piled up their slag into mounds which resembled pyramids.

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Palzang wrote:

Whew, that's a relief!

As for Southern Illinois (aka Little Egypt, in case you don't know), that's a horse of a completely different color. A completely different country than Northern Illinois. It's called Little Egypt, for you across the pond, because A) Cairo (pronounced "Kayro", not "Kiro" - that's in Egypt) is the big city there, and B) because of all the coal mines which piled up their slag into mounds which resembled pyramids.

Palzang

My husband is originally from southern Illinois. I pronounce Cairo "Kiro" and Illinois "ILLINOIZ" just to get him to roll his eyes. In fact , when he leaves whisker hairs on the bathroom sink (grrrr) "sigh" I do it just to tick him off. :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    My husband is originally from southern Illinois. I pronounce Cairo "Kiro" and Illinois "ILLINOIZ" just to get him to roll his eyes. In fact , when he leaves whisker hairs on the bathroom sink (grrrr) "sigh" I do it just to tick him off. :D

Yeah, calling it "ILLINOIZ" is a dead giveaway that the person is a furriner.

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Stats:

Screen Name: jawala
    Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
    Chinese Zodiac: Rooster
    Sex: Male
    Born: Gary, Indiana
    Hair: Chestnut
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 172lbs.
    Dislikes: most of my own tendencies. . .
    Religous Identification: Buddhist
    Tradition/School: Theravada
    Favorite band: Beatles, Zombies
    Favorite food: Whatever they're serving at the KRSNA Temple or TAJ Indian Restaurant
    Favorite movie: Harold and Maude
    Favorite book: Whatta ya got?

Profile: I'm a new Buddhist who's come around the long way. Meaning, I've been through "all" the world has to offer in terms of spiritual teachings. Bottom line; this stuff makes sense. . .

I have a drinking problem. . .

Jase
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Welcome to New Buddhist. Please make yourself at home here.
    edited March 2007
    Good to meet you, Jason.

It can't be said too often: this is a good place; a place to give hope that the Net can be a power for good; a place to make friends and share our wholeness and our brokenness; a place to laugh and to cry: this is a GOOD place.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Hi, Jason! Welcome to the sangha! It's good to meet you and I hope you find a warm, gentle (but not always) home here like I did. I'm so glad you found us.
  • edited March 2007
    Welcome Jason:wavey:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Hello Jase...Welcome, and thank you for your profile and honesty. Any time you need a chat with anyone on the hurdles of Life, well...You've found a nice place to be....
    Draw up a chair, and I'll put the kettle on.... ;)
  • edited April 2007
    Hi! My name is Stacy. I am 28 and live in St. Paul Minnesota with my husband and our cat. I am a graduate student in Paleontology.

I am half-Japanese, half-European (Scots-Irish, Dutch, English, German). I was not really raised with any religion, but encouraged to explore the religions. We went to events at a temple in Los Angeles (Pure Land Tradition), but rarely for services. I went to a sister Temple during college, but never felt like I belonged with the people there -- nobody else my age; either much older or kids.

I am seeking. I don't know where I fit. I have always had interest in Buddhism and know some about it, but ... I don't know. I guess I always considered mysef Buddhist but I don't really know why.

Now, I just know something is missing. I also know that I do not believe in a supernatural being. So I am looking. Seeking. Buddhism is the only religion that I think is compatible with my beliefs. I don't understand the suffering in our world. I don't know why I am here. I just know something is missing.

Sorry for rambling, but that is kinda the way I feel rght now about life. rambling around with no real point.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi, Stacy.

Welcome to the community. I think you're not alone in your feelings and you've come to the right place to voice them and perhaps find some direction. I know that when I came here my practice was pretty random and loose but I found direction and the right path and so much support here that it has come to feel like home to me. I'm very happy to welcome you here and I hope with all my heart that you will find some answers and, even better, the right questions. It's lovely to meet you.

Love,
    Boo
  • edited April 2007
    Welcome Stacy! It's nice to see that you found this place. Feel free to ask anything your heart desires, there's many people here that would love to guide you the best they can. I hope you find what your looking for.

Adam
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi all, an old member popping in. Off to have a lurk around the place, hope you all are well.
  • edited April 2007
    Hi all. :)

I'm bukowski. I recognise some names from other Buddhist sites i frequent, so hi to those who know me.

For those who dont i'm a thirty eight year old male from England. I work as a drug counsellor and i have been Buddhist for about six years, taking it fairly seriously for the last two and a bit. I most follow zen tradition and the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh. Sometimes i sit with a sangha, and sometimes alone, dependent upon circumstances, but i do try to keep up a daily zazen practice.

Anyway, strange to be a newbie, but good to be here, so hi to one and all.

Metta, Bukowski.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hiya Bukowski,

Glad to see you. This is AllinOne from over on E-Sangha.

Jase, Adam, Synchro (and everone I missed),

Welcome to NewBuddhist. Hope you find this to be a friendly place with some good Dharma.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited April 2007
    Hi allinone. Thought i recognised the picture. Feels just like home. Is Fede a mod here as well? I look forward to friendly interactions with the members of the forum.

Metta, bukowski.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Don't worry, we've got good Dharma karma.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Welcome, Bukowski. Nice to see you. And yes, Fede is a moderator here too. She's on vacation at the moment but we're still behaving ourselves.
    edited April 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    Welcome, Bukowski. Nice to see you. And yes, Fede is a moderator here too. She's on vacation at the moment but we're still behaving ourselves.
    ...........but whether we are behaving well or badly...........?

Welcome Bukowski.
  • edited April 2007
    Hello everybody. I would like to reintroduce myself. Its been a year odd since I last posted anything The main reason being that it occurred to me that I did not have any questions and certainly did not have answers, and was in no position to teach anyone anything on subjects of a spiritual nature. In fact I had no idea why I was doing this, and when I read over what I had said, it was not right, it was reactive - somehow, angry, not meaningful. Not me, the construct being fully in control. I thought that my time would be better spent finding direction in the Dhamma, and on the mat, which is what I have been doing. Hopefully I have progressed to a point where I can now participate in this forum and shall attempt to be - for real.

Spiritual journeys are likened to treading a path etc. For me, so far it has been like following the groove on an LP record, as you go around you realise that you have been at this point before and the actual progress that you have made has not been as extreme as you thought, but you may just have made it a little nearer your goal.

Anyway the new me wanted to say hello to you all, and ask that you permit me to start afresh here.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Yes, it is a gradual path. I remember when I first started out with Zen I kept waiting for the lightning to strike and for me to achieve nirvana and be able to forget about everything. HA! Wouldn't that be nice?!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Hya Carbonunit - welcome (back)!

I can relate.
    'nuf said. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Hey, Carbon.

I like your LP record analogy. It's wonderful and very much how I feel about spiritual practice too. Glad you're back.
  • edited July 2007
    Hi everyone,

I've been an 'armchair' buddhist for a few years now. More recently i've attended Kadampa classes but, nice as they were, i was not sure if it was buddhism they were teaching. Hoping to go to a Thai temple soon (when shifts allow) though.

Like many a western buddhist i don't buy the reincarnation bit, but i've been informed a few times that it's seeking refuge in the triple gem that makes a buddhist, not belief in a particular doctrine, so a buddhist i am, and here i am. Hi.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Hi, Delphi, and welcome!

It's lovely to meet you and I'm glad you introduced yourself on this thread. That's what it's here for. I like your name. Don't be shy to jump into other conversations going on elsewhere as well. It's always great to meet someone new and hear things from a different perspective.

It took me a few years to figure out but I finally chose the Thai Forest Tradition to follow so I know what you mean about looking around for the right fit. This is a great place for people who aren't quite sure which tradition to follow because there are so many different schools and perspectives represented here. It helped me immensely and still does. I hope this sangha's as helpful to you as it's been for me.

Sincerely,
    Boo
    edited July 2007
    Hi Delphi - Bye Delphi - !

I'm off for a couple of weeks everyone!
    As usual - behave!!

Love you all. hugs all round!!
  • edited July 2007
    Make sure to insert random giggling into this post as you read it...

Vell, I am a young and new mom of one amazing son. He is pretty much my inspiration in life for everything these days. That sounds like lightening striking, but it's really a steady realization that he is the best reason to do anything that is "worth doing." I have a strong and loving marriage, and find new interest in family life every day. I am also a teacher and an artist, both in theatre. I seek to express myself, fulfill myself and provide a space for others to do the same. My goal is to open a performance arts center for teens: a space that says "Yes, you may." I am taking steps in that direction each day.

I also consider myself a student at all times. Right now I am learning about buddhism. I seek peace and connection and see dharma practice and meditation as at least one way if not the way to be peaceful and connected. I am here to learn more, test my ideas and be part of a community of people doing the same. I am very social, but tend to be push away from communities and people who are "like myself" (<- rebel without a cause), so participating on this site is an important change for me. I learn by saying the wrong thing out loud and later realizing I did it, I talk a lot and I am occasionally blunt to the point of offense. I am also extremely compassionate even when my actions mask that, and love to help. I hope everyone can bear with me as I explore these ideas, myself and us.

Oh yes! Back to that whole community thing, I am looking for a buddhist community near my home in order to enrich my study and experience. I live in the Dallas area. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

(I hope you didn't forget about the giggling...)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Hi, MFC. Lovely to formally meet you and thank you for telling us a bit about yourself. Please feel welcome here. It's great to have you.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Hi MOC,

There is actually a Palyul (Nyingma) group in Dallas you might be interested in, Palyul Changchub Dargyeling Dallas. Their website is http://www.pcddallas.org. They're located at 320 Terrace Drive in Richardson, phone number 214 597 1245.

Palzang
  • edited July 2007
    Thank you, thank you.
    I'll look into that, Palzang
    edited July 2007
    Welcome, MFOC....
    I actually came across another poster, on another forum whose name was similar to yours but of a more vulgar nature....! I cannot think for one moment though, that you would be one and the same....! :grin:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Glad to see you've returned to, um, form so rapidly, Fede!

Palzang
  • edited July 2007
    Maybe it was my alternate self sleep walking and making enemies online through name alone. I really hope not. I thought I kicked the whole sleep walking habit years ago.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2007
    RUMI QUOTE: "Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment."

Hello, again Clay of Full Mouth! Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself.

I'm just returning to cyberspace after twoo weeks in the wilderness. Good to have your interesting voice speaking here.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Hi, Nirvy.

How's the health?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Hey, I could use a couple of weeks in the wilderness as well! Wait, I am in the wilderness! Arizona...

Welcome back.

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Hey y'all. I'm all healed up and well. Thanks for taking me back. I'm not contagious, just funny-looking.

I'm trying to take Rumi's advice, so I'll spare a mouthful right now. (Not that I'm really clever, but I do pretend to be some...)

Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment. —RUMI
    Signature stolen from mouthfulofclay
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Glad to hear it, Nirvy. Welcome back.