Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Welcome, Scott. Hope you enjoy your time here. Good to meet you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hi, Scott! It's nice to meet you and I hope you have as good a time here as I have.
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you its great to meet everyone
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Hi, Scott! It's nice to meet you and I hope you have as good a time here as I have.
    Oh yes...Brigid, our very own post-pneumatic good-time gal....!! :canflag:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Hi,
    We have a bell that goes off when we want to get off too! it's called a child...:angry:
    Lol :grin: That's what the little ones are good for, eh?!
  • edited October 2006
    Hello everyone

I just found this site the other day and have been reading some threads before joining. It seems like a lovely place.

Although I've felt for years that buddhism was the 'right' path for me, life has been in the way for me to start practice.

There's so much I don't know and I might ask a lot of questions, so please bear with me.
    Anyway... glad to be here.

Olivia
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Welcome, Olivia. It's nice to meet you. Make yourself at home and ask as many questions as you like. That's what this site is for. I hope you like it here and learn from it as much as I have.
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you, Brigid.... Nice to meet you, too. :smilec:
    edited October 2006
    Welcome, Olivia. Draw up a toadstool and join us round the fire.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Olivia, feel free to ask any and every question that crosses your mind. That's the whole point, isn't it.....? This wonderful voyage of discovery.....?

Welcome to you, and it's nice to have you with us....:)
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you Simon and federica.

You do make me feel very welcome :)
  • edited October 2006
    Welcome Olivia!!!! Take a load off and make yourself at home. Cheers.
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you, jokerz4fun :)

I'm really enjoying reading the threads... Right now I'm especially focused on all your book recommendations :eek2:
    :p
  • edited December 2006
    Married, 1 child
    Reading. Pennsylvania
    New to this board, and to Buddhism. Previously a practicing Atheist:tonguec:
    Hello to all. I have enoyed reading posts previously as a lurker. Just joined. I Think I know enough now to be able to ask questions about what I don't know, or think I do know.
    edited December 2006
    bikerfry wrote:
    Married, 1 child
    Reading. Pennsylvania
    New to this board, and to Buddhism. Previously a practicing Atheist:tonguec:
    Hello to all. I have enoyed reading posts previously as a lurker. Just joined. I Think I know enough now to be able to ask questions about what I don't know, or think I do know.

Welcome, Bikerfry. Glad you've decided to join the crowd around the fire.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yes, welcome, Bikerfry!

Crowd by the fire... that's right...

Who are we burning today, Simon?

-bf
    edited December 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Yes, welcome, Bikerfry!

Crowd by the fire... that's right...

Who are we burning today, Simon?

-bf

Books, Bf, books: the first step towards totalitarianism. After that, anyone who disagrees. And, after that, the burners. And, in the end, there is only fire.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2006
    And you say I'm weird?
  • edited December 2006
    Books, Bf, books: the first step towards totalitarianism. After that, anyone who disagrees. And, after that, the burners. And, in the end, there is only fire.

Siomon,
    I once had the occasion to fall into a meditation while watching an outdoor fire in a pit.
    Thoughts of the similarities between fire and myself were astounding. A real paradigm shifter.
  • TribesmanTribesman Explorer
    edited December 2006
    Hello again all. It's been so long I thought I'd better post first again on this thread. I was here briefly around February time but got diverted since then. Anyway I'll pull up a chair again if I may and talk to ye soon.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Welcome, Biker! Nice to meet you.

Hi, Tribesman! Nice to see you again!
    edited December 2006
    Hiya Brigid. Hope you've been keeping well.
    edited December 2006
    Tribesman wrote:
    Hello again all. It's been so long I thought I'd better post first again on this thread. I was here briefly around February time but got diverted since then. Anyway I'll pull up a chair again if I may and talk to ye soon.

Welcome back, Tribesman. How has the search been going? Have you managed to turn your stumbling block into a foundation stone?
    edited December 2006
    Thanks Simon,
    Yes the last 6 months or so have been quite interesting. I think the stumbling block has been firmly laid as a foundation stone. Time to build slowly from there.
    edited December 2006
    Welcome back Tribesman, nice to see your radiated face again....! And hello Bikerfry. Glad to have you with us......:)
  • edited December 2006
    Hello! My name is Masteravatardavidstar! I'm glad to be a part of your buddhist website "family". My goal is to spread love and enlightenment to myself and to everyone else! We're all connected ! That's why I'm "connecting" with all you guys in this chat forum!..........So happiness , joy , and peace to ALL of US !!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2007
    Good Morning, and a Better 2007 to all -

My dharma name is Engyo; I am a Nichiren Buddhist from Houston, Texas. I enjoy discussing Buddhism, and other issues from a Buddhist point of view. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
  • edited January 2007
    Hi Tribeman, angulimala, masteravatardavidstar, Andrea dn others:

Welcome.

Masteravatardavidstar, now you are not going to expect me to type that ID out each time, lol. I usually abbreviate long screen ID's with first word, but I'll be hit n teh fce witha snowball before I call you master...LOL
  • edited January 2007
    Engyo wrote:

My dharma name is Engyo; I am a Nichiren Buddhist from Houston, Texas. I enjoy discussing Buddhism, and other issues from a Buddhist point of view. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.
    :bigclap: GREETINGS AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BROTHER ENGYO !!!......................WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE FAMILY !!!!.......I TOO AM A RECENT CONVERT TO NICHIREN DAISHONIN BUDDHISM....THERE ARE MANY QUESTIONS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU (AS WELL AS SHARE THE BENEFITS I'VE RECEIVED AS A RESULT OF CHANTING "NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO"). IN ADDITION TO THIS I TOO AM A RESIDENT (AND A NATIVE-A RARE BREED) OF HOUSTON TEXAS !......HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN SOON ! ..........NAMASTE DUDE !!!............................................................................................................................................................................:cheer:
  • edited January 2007
    Engyo wrote:

Better than what? Last nights early morning frolicks?:lol:
  • edited January 2007

:bigclap: GREETINGS AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BROTHER ENGYO !!!......................WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE FAMILY !!!!.......I TOO AM A RECENT CONVERT TO NICHIREN DAISHONIN BUDDHISM....THERE ARE MANYQUESTIONS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU (AS WELL AS SHARE THE BENEFITS I'VE RECEIVED AS A RESULT OF CHANTING "NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO"). IN ADDITION TO THIS I TOO AM A RESIDENT (AND A NATIVE-A RARE BREED) OF HOUSTON TEXAS !......HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN SOON ! ..........NAMASTE DUDE !!!............................................................................................................................................................................:cheer:
    Thanks for the big welcome, David!

I will be happy to try to answer any questions you may have as best I can. It's good to meet you, and I look forward to more interactions with you, and others here as well.
  • edited January 2007
    Iawa wrote:
    Better than what? Last nights early morning frolicks?:lol:
    Iawa & all -

The way I look at it, 2006 was not a bad year for me at all, but things can always be better. 2006 was better than 2005 in many ways, so my wishes are for a continuing positive trend as we go forward.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2007
    Welcome Engyo, masteravatardavidstar, and any other new members who have not yet said hello. I look forward to your contributions and input.
  • edited January 2007
    I recently found this website and it has been a great benefit to my interest in Buddhism. I wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Adam Wayne. I'm 26 years old. I'm married, for 5 years now. We live in Powhatan, VA, not far from Richmond. I have been looking into Buddhism now for about a year. My wife, Tomoko, is originally from Japan, and while not actually Buddhist, per se, has led a life and has many beliefs that fall in line with Buddhism. I think the reason I have been interested is that I would like to lead a more meaningful and peaceful life. I'm sure that I'll have many questions that I'll post on the forums and hopefully I can help someone else too. Thanks for all your time.
    edited January 2007
    adam wrote:
    I recently found this website and it has been a great benefit to my interest in Buddhism. I wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Adam Wayne. I'm 26 years old. I'm married, for 5 years now. We live in Powhatan, VA, not far from Richmond. I have been looking into Buddhism now for about a year. My wife, Tomoko, is originally from Japan, and while not actually Buddhist, per se, has led a life and has many beliefs that fall in line with Buddhism. I think the reason I have been interested is that I would like to lead a more meaningful and peaceful life. I'm sure that I'll have many questions that I'll post on the forums and hopefully I can help someone else too. Thanks for all your time.

As I wait for my lift to a few days away, it is delightful to meet a new friend, Adam. Welcome.

I have been reflecting on the importance of friendship in the good life, having just bumped into someone I had not seen for months. And, of course, I am about to spend time in a convent with a few sisters who live in community. They don't have the security that the canonical hours and regulation of a closed community can call on: they have friendship with each other.

Modern marketplace morality makes us think, as we meet new people, "What can you do for me?" but I believe that we access the better part of our nature when we think, "What can I do for you?"

I have this quote by the Dalai Lama:
    I feel that the essence of spiritual practice is your attitude towards others. When you have a pure, sincere motivation, then you have the right attitude toward others based on kindness, compassion, love, and respect. Practice brings the clear realization pf the oneness of all human beings and the importance of others benefiting by your actions.

Once again, welcome, Adam. Pull up a log near the fire. Someone pass him a mug, a toasting-fork and some marshmallows.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Welcome, Adam! I hope that our site can be of use to you. Please feel free to ask anything. We may not have the answers, but at least our responses may be amusing!

Now, where did I put those toasting forks.....

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    Simon & Palzang,
    Thank you for the nice welcoming. I've read many posts from both of you. I enjoy reading your views on all sorts of topics. I think this site is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Hi, Adam! Welcome to our cyber sangha.

Make yourself at home. It's very nice to meet you.
    edited January 2007
    Welcome Adam, lovely to meet you! Tea? Coffee? Or a thick, continental cup of chocolate?
    edited January 2007
    Hey baby...

Bring me some of that choolate.

-bf
    edited January 2007
    Too late - I edited....But I think choolate sounds "sexier" actually.....

Like something you can get your teeth into around midnight.....!:D
    edited January 2007
    Sexier?

Reminded me of a a spittoon.

But I've seen people drink from those too!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Hi, Adam!

It's very nice to meet you!
    edited January 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Sexier?

Reminded me of a a spittoon.

But I've seen people drink from those too!

-bf

Oh, YUK!!
  • edited January 2007
    Hello Brigid and Federica! It's nice to meet you both. You both seem to frequent these boards a lot and I look forward to talking more with you. I hope you havae great day.
  • edited January 2007
    adam wrote:
    Welcome Adam !
  • edited February 2007
    Hi Adam!

Welcome to our site! It's nice to have you here.

BF - that is really just gross. And when you say you have seen "people" drink out of a spittoon, were you referring to yourself?
  • edited February 2007
    Hello there:

I begin to feel that one HUGE mistake I made when I first joined this forum some time ago is that I didn`t post here any self-introduction! That could have saved a lot of misunderstandings, I think!

Forty-seven years old, family name of Steiner, and from the United States, but I don`t like what is going on there. As a result I find myself a lot happier living outside my own country. I was raised Catholic Christian and loved studying as a layman as much as I could of theology. In the aftermath of my divorce my faith more or less fell apart as well, but that took a couple of years more. I have one son who lives near Mexico City. I teach English in Japan at the moment and I make paintings, drawings and collage. My studies were in Art at the University of California at Santa Cruz where I got a BA degree and did some post-graduate studies in Studio Art. I don`t claim that my painting is much good, but I don`t give up.

While I was at UCSC I also studied as much as I could about the Anthropology and History of Religion. After my faith fell apart, I found after some time that there remained a sort of Buddhistic tendency inside myself, and began meditating. But do I have the right to call myself a Buddhist? I don`t know. Having lost my original faith I still find it difficult to have any other religion, either, and I have never publically or "officially" taken refuge, and when I do so privately in my practice, I feel like I give a hugely "broad Church" or liberal and possibly "heretical" interpretation to the meanings of the words.

I found this site while I was doing some searches on the internet about Buddhist Sutras/Suttas. It is the first and still the only Buddhist discussion forum that I have joined. I chose the tag "VoidWhereProhibited" because I saw that some others here had humous tags. I have always found that statement ("Void Where Prohibited", which is found at the bottom of contest coupons and such in the U.S.) curious and funny. I love the doctrine of Emptiness and I feel "prohibited" not only because I am simultaneously both "traditional" and "heretical" but because I find following the Eightfold Path or even just the Lay Precepts to be nearly impossible for me just as I similarly felt as a commandment-breaking (divorced) Catholic. Maybe I am a "bad" Buddhist just as I was a "bad" Christian, or just am a card-carrying heretic wherever I go? Well maybe not, as I find myself powerefully drawn to Shingon Esoteric Japanese Vajrayana Buddhism, almost in spite of myself. It might seem loaded with dogma, superstition, ritualism, formalism, and all the things I thought I wouldn`t want to go near when I left Catholicism. But I`ve got to admit that I love "tradition": love that moment in "Fiddler On The Roof" when Tevyeh (spelling, anyone?) shouts "TRADITION!!" but then follows it up with a little shrug. That shrug says a lot...

Thank you to everyone here, and I ask that you be patient with me, because even though I know that I do not know much, as a deluded being I often might think that I know more than I do, and I often have many pointed questions that might at times sound offensive, but that is just because I am very much needing to sort things out and have doubts most of the time about just about everything in spite of the fact that I also have "faith". Faith isn`t all bad, is it, even if it ought to give way to experience, with time and practice?

That strange picture I am using for my "avatar"...it depicts the suffering of a monk overly attatched to the physical presence of the Buddha when the Thus-come-one passed into Nirvana. It is from a multi-figure sculptural scene, is much over a thousand years old, and is found in one of Japan`s most venerable temples. I know it looks unearthly strange and perhpas a bit shocking, but the image of the suffering Buddist is, for me, of some significance.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Hi, Void. Thanks for filling in the...uh....void...! lol! (*groan* Sorry!)

Sounds to me like you're a persistent sort of a guy which is such an important characteristic in spiritual development as well as artistic development. I thoroughly enjoyed your introduction and I'm glad you decided to post it. I welcome you with open arms and hope this site has been and will be as much benefit to you as it has been for me.
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the brief biog., VWP.

You are clearly another enthusiastic (i.e. 'god-filled') pilgrim. It is always such a relief to know that we are not alone in our enthusiasm - even if I sometimes wonder if it is of any more significance in the universe than stamp collecting!