Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I'm in somewhat of a similar situation myself. While I'm currently employed and in a long-term relationship, I've been drawn to the monastic life for as long as I've been practiced Buddhism.

In fact, I almost ordained in Thailand before my girlfriend and I got together. I had even quit my job, gave away most of my money and possessions and moved into a local monastery. But before I was sent to Thailand (during a visit with my family during Christmas as a matter of fact), I decided that I wasn't ready for that kind of commitment just yet. Even so, I still think about it all the time.

I'm not sure what kind of connections you're looking for (we're a motley assortment of characters), but I hope you find what you need.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    anvilsmith wrote: »
    Hey, everyone. I'm living in the UK, studying neuroimaging and becoming involved in activism, particularly environmentalism and men's rights. My practice has gone on (and off) for three years, during which I have been trying to pick out useful teachings from the Dhamma while remaining devoutly atheist. Hopefully, my perspectives on buddhism will not attract the moderators' ire.

It will if you start using words like 'neuroimaging' and 'activism' 'cos' I have to look 'em up, and I hate anyone who uses long words I don't understand....:lol:

Just kidding!

Nice to have you here!
    Like we always say, all opinions, views and discussions are welcome, providing they are pertinent, polite, courteous, respectful and carried out in a socially acceptable manner.
    Nothing to do with Buddhism, everything to do with just being part of a community.

Not sure I get this part....
    I have been trying to pick out useful teachings from the Dhamma while remaining devoutly atheist

Just curious.....

first of all 'picking out useful teaching of the Dhamma' works up to a point, but isolating the bits that resonate, whilst understandable and useful, might not lead to a complete picture of what things are about. You have to use all the ingredients for the recipe, or you get a half-baked cake, with less substance and flavour.
    Some things may be difficult to swallow, or even unpalatable, but nonetheless, informative and educational. And they do hasten progress.....

What has 'remaining devoutly atheist' got to do with it?
    not all Buddhists are Atheist, it's neither a pre-requisite, nor a requirement.
    The best thing is to remain open, and take in what is useful to you.
    Atheism means rejecting any belief in God, but such a solidly firm and immovable stance can hinder learning and block understanding. it also effectively alienates you form being able to co-exist with people of differing views... relaxation is the key....

just commenting on your intro, and it's nice to have you here.

Welcome all newcomers.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    I would really like to make contact with female teachers.

Welcome, Emma. I have a female teacher, and while you live in England and she lives in the US, you can watch her teachings online. Just go to www.ustream.tv/palyulmedia. There are currently 178 videos there with more being added weekly. Have fun!

I was also working on a PhD (Piled Higher and Deeper) when I really got interested in Buddhism. I quit.

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Emma, and welcome.

There is a female teacher of the Tibetan Buddhist Kagyu tradition resident in the UK. Her name is Lama Zangmo and she is based at their London centre. She also teaches at Kagyu Samye Ling monastery in Scotland, as well as various other places.

If you contact the centre they'll be happy to give you further details I'm sure.

http://london.samye.org/london/kagyu/teachers/lama_zangmo.shtml

This is another female teacher in Wales - I think she teachers in London sometimes, not sure where else she goes.

http://www.buddhism-connect.org/meet-the-teachers/lama-shenpen/

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited December 2009
    Hi All

My name's Amaltapu, I'm 22, I've been a human being all my life - also been alive for most of my life. If you have these things in common then that's great, we could probably get on.
    Nothing else is important really is it?

See you later.
  • edited December 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Welcome, Emma. I have a female teacher, and while you live in England and she lives in the US, you can watch her teachings online. Just go to www.ustream.tv/palyulmedia. There are currently 178 videos there with more being added weekly. Have fun!

I was also working on a PhD (Piled Higher and Deeper) when I really got interested in Buddhism. I quit.

Palzang

Ha ha love the new meaning of PhD - must agree with you there!

Thank you very much for the signpost to your lama - i will certainly check it out.

I am very close to quitting but I think i wanna just get through it so i dont feel the last 3 years have been for nothing I guess! It was hard today though as my family got me lots of books to help with my studies, and I just felt so down seeing them and just wanted to pick up my Dharma book and sit in the corner and read! I was really grateful that they were trying to help me with my studies, and i had asked for them, but its just the state of mind i am in.But I will keep the mottot of the little red train in my head> just......keep.......going!
  • edited December 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Hi Emma, and welcome.

There is a female teacher of the Tibetan Buddhist Kagyu tradition resident in the UK. Her name is Lama Zangmo and she is based at their London centre. She also teaches at Kagyu Samye Ling monastery in Scotland, as well as various other places.

If you contact the centre they'll be happy to give you further details I'm sure.

http://london.samye.org/london/kagyu/teachers/lama_zangmo.shtml

This is another female teacher in Wales - I think she teachers in London sometimes, not sure where else she goes.

http://www.buddhism-connect.org/meet-the-teachers/lama-shenpen/

Kind regards,

Dazzle

Excellent! Thank you!
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Welcome Emma :)
  • edited December 2009
    Hello, I am me. I assume more will follow.
  • edited December 2009
    Hello, I am me. I assume more will follow.

Welcome to the forum, sad clown...

May you be well, "happy" and peaceful. :)

With kind regards.
    edited December 2009
    Hello- Eek! I'm coulrophobic! :lol:
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited December 2009
    hellow fellow travellers,
    practising buddhism for a long time
    no attachment to any 'vada' or 'yana'
    for the moment practise at home whenever the time permits and whenever it reminds me to do so

emma, it is the most interesting thing to quit the PhD and enjoy the life with new meaning to it (gone there, done it)
  • edited December 2009
    Hello I am Godzilla
    Been practicing Buddhism for a long time now but in the lasty few years been concentrating on Zen.

I'm from Northern Ireland but now live in Norwich.

I find that a spiritual path can be a bit of a lonely place, wonder if anyone else has that experience?

I find now that my practice keeps me rooted in my day to day life and that ups and downs of things don't seem to matter as much anymore. What I do find frustrating is when people around me get so worked up about things that just aren't important. this is my next thing to work on :)

Hello everyone and best wishes to you all
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Eek! I'm coulrophobic!

Did Ronald McDonald give you a fright when you were young?

Emma, I don't mean to suggest that you should quit, only that that's what I decided to do (and upekka as well, apparently). I just didn't want that to hold me back, if you understand what I mean. Once you get that PhD attached to you, people expect certain things of you. Like it becomes very hard to get a "regular" job if that's what you want to do. And after having been away from school for four years while I was in the Air Force (it was Viet Nam time, I didn't have much choice in the matter as I got drafted, so I joined the AF) the interest just wasn't there any more. I guess getting a glimpse of the big, wide world out there opened my mind! :eek:

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    Hello Godzilla,

Welcome to the forum.
    I find that a spiritual path can be a bit of a lonely place, wonder if anyone else has that experience?

I am the only 'buddhist' in my entire family (relatives and friends included). I found it a bit of a problem initially... but now I have adapted quite well. You can always start a new thread in the New Buddhist Forum if you wish to take this discussion further... :)

With kind regards,
    Sukitha
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks Sukitha. I'm the only Buddhist in my family too but I try to think of it as I am bringing a bit of diversity to them.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi folks, just a quick intro!
    Older than I used to be, younger than I'm going to be, live in the South West U.K., motorcycle rider & free thinker.
    I guess that's it really. :D
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Prankster,

Welcome to the forum... looking forward to you making this forum a "jovial" one. :)

With kind regards,
    Sukhita
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Godzilla wrote: »
    Hello I am Godzilla
    Been practicing Buddhism for a long time now but in the lasty few years been concentrating on Zen.

I'm from Northern Ireland but now live in Norwich.

I find now that my practice keeps me rooted in my day to day life and that ups and downs of things don't seem to matter as much anymore. What I do find frustrating is when people around me get so worked up about things that just aren't important. this is my next thing to work on :)

Hello everyone and best wishes to you all

had the experience, but not anymore

what others' do is their own business (in buddhist terms, their own kamma) and what we can do is if possible let them know 'what is right or just forget it (let go of it)'

that should be the motto
    life will be more enjoying and gives new meaning to everything
    edited December 2009
    Welcome Upekka :wavey:
    Hello Godzilla, I'm the most, em, how should I put it, spiritual (and different) person in my family, but it's good to be unique ;) I don't get lonely, as HH Dalai Lama said in a book I got for Christmas;
    'Wherever I meet people, I always have the feeling that I am encountering another human being, just like myself. I find it much easier to communicate with others on that level. If we emphasize specific characteristics, like I am Tibetan or I am Buddhist, then there are differences. But those things are secondary. If we can leave the differences aside, I think we can easily communicate, exchange ideas, and share experiances.':)
    Hi Jovial Prankster :wavey:
    Palzang, I am only young and I don't know who Ronald McDonald is. Clowns are creepy, they're fake, superficial, excellent disguises to lure young children away, just bad. Have you ever watched 'It'? I'd like to. If someone kills you and looks clever, buisness like, they might just kill you quickly and have done with it, a dodgy person might do something dodgy, but if a murderer dresses up as a clown goodness knows what they'd do:confused: I also have a fear of dummies, wax models, combine harvesters (forgot the name for them) and dead people coming alive in a canibalistic kind of way (kinemortaphobia- I don't actually believe it, the thought just creeps me out though), and I'm claustrophobic. I'm trying to think of a way to overcome them though. I don't mind to be claustrophobic, it's nice to be free, but then again it doesn't feel very nice if you have to sit still on a chair all day... Definitely get rid of the other fears though, especialy kinemortaphobia... It's weird... and no I'm not a shivering wreck, atleast not when I have company though. :p
    Joe
  • PaisleyPaisley Explorer
    edited December 2009
    Hello, I'm new here. My name is Jenny and I'm in my late 20s.

As a teenager I was a hardcore Christian. I spent tons and tons of time at church. My senior year of HS I felt like I woke up and no longer believed any of it. I walked away from the church and haven't looked back.

Buddhism has been popping up into my life for the past 10 years and over the course of the last year I have really struggled with my beliefs. I settled on being agnostic but as time has gone on I align myself more and more with being Buddhist. I feel that this is the path my life is meant to take.

I look forward to meeting people and settling in here. I'm completely new to meditation and intend to start working on it, so I'm going to have a lot of questions. =)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Palzang, I am only young and I don't know who Ronald McDonald is. Clowns are creepy, they're fake, superficial, excellent disguises to lure young children away, just bad. Have you ever watched 'It'? I'd like to. If someone kills you and looks clever, buisness like, they might just kill you quickly and have done with it, a dodgy person might do something dodgy, but if a murderer dresses up as a clown goodness knows what they'd do:confused: I also have a fear of dummies, wax models, combine harvesters (forgot the name for them) and dead people coming alive in a canibalistic kind of way (kinemortaphobia- I don't actually believe it, the thought just creeps me out though), and I'm claustrophobic. I'm trying to think of a way to overcome them though. I don't mind to be claustrophobic, it's nice to be free, but then again it doesn't feel very nice if you have to sit still on a chair all day... Definitely get rid of the other fears though, especialy kinemortaphobia... It's weird... and no I'm not a shivering wreck, atleast not when I have company though. :p
    Joe

Ronald McDonald is the weird clown that McDonald's uses for its advertising, particularly to children. I never thought clowns were particularly appealing even as a child, so I'm not sure where the attraction comes from, though it's pretty ancient. And yes, the clown in "It" was pretty scary, as only Stephen King can do.

Never heard of a fear of combine harvesters! That's a new one. Maybe we could call it ceresophobia? After Ceres, the Roman god of the harvest...

I used to have arachnophobia (fear of spiders), but I got over it as I grew up. Now I find the little critters fascinating, especially the tarantulas we had in Arizona. Still have fear of heights though. I like to be grounded!

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    sukhita wrote: »
    Hello Godzilla,

Welcome to the forum.

I am the only 'buddhist' in my entire family (relatives and friends included). I found it a bit of a problem initially... but now I have adapted quite well. You can always start a new thread in the New Buddhist Forum if you wish to take this discussion further... :)

With kind regards,
    Sukitha

I will agree, it can be lonely. But I think if you find a buddhist centre and get involved with its Sangha it can be a real help. Also this site is great for discussing all things Buddhist :)
  • edited December 2009
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    ....I think if you find a buddhist centre and get involved with its Sangha it can be a real help....

Yes, that will be a great help... still looking for a suitable Buddhist centre. :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hello, everyone, this is me:

Name: Raven
    Sign: Cancer
    Born: Sydney, Australia
    Currently: ACT, Australia
    Favorite color: Blue
    Favorite band: Whitesnake
    Favorite food: Any LOL
    Favorite movie: A tie between Ghostbusters, The Blues Brothers and Team America
    Favorite book: Awakening The Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das (it's been re read so many times it's all dog eared and worn)

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and still fairly green when it comes to Buddhism. I love the teaching of the Tibetan path but love the simplicity of Zen. So I don't really have a path, more a mish-mash (terrible isn't it?).

I first became interested in Buddhism at school (age 17) but ended up leaving my path of Roman Catholicism and going into Wicca (gardnerian) and staying there for almost 8 years. During this time I flirted with Buddhism - mainly the meditations for anger management (I've always meditated with Buddhist meditation ever since, it has done wonders for me). I then found Kemetic Orthodoxy and stayed with my temple there for ten years. About 8 months ago I became seriously interested in Buddhism and decided to try to incorporate the Eightfold path into my day to day life - with varying degrees of success :rolleyes:

I believe the only thing holding me back is my struggle with anatman. I still can't dismiss my belief in the Gods, I guess this doesn't REALLY make me a Buddhist, rather a Kemetic who practises Buddhism (maybe?)

Anyway, I hope I learn from you all and contribute useful things to the forums.

- Raven :p
    edited December 2009
    Hello, everyone, this is me: (also posted in introduction thread)

Name: Raven
    Sign: Cancer
    Born: Sydney, Australia
    Currently: ACT, Australia
    Favorite color: Blue
    Favorite band: Whitesnake
    Favorite food: Any LOL
    Favorite movie: A tie between Ghostbusters, The Blues Brothers and Team America
    Favorite book: Awakening The Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das (it's been re read so many times it's all dog eared and worn)

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and still fairly green when it comes to Buddhism. I love the teaching of the Tibetan path but love the simplicity of Zen. So I don't really have a path, more a mish-mash (terrible isn't it?).

I first became interested in Buddhism at school (age 17) but ended up leaving my path of Roman Catholicism and going into Wicca (gardnerian) and staying there for almost 8 years. During this time I flirted with Buddhism - mainly the meditations for anger management (I've always meditated with Buddhist meditation ever since, it has done wonders for me). I then found Kemetic Orthodoxy and stayed with my temple there for ten years. About 8 months ago I became seriously interested in Buddhism and decided to try to incorporate the Eightfold path into my day to day life - with varying degrees of success :rolleyes:

I believe the only thing holding me back is my struggle with anatman. I still can't dismiss my belief in the Gods, I guess this doesn't REALLY make me a Buddhist, rather a Kemetic who practises Buddhism (maybe?)

Anyway, I hope I learn from you all and contribute useful things to the forums.

edited December 2009
    Welcome Jenny (that's the name of my nan LOL) :wavey:
    I don't like the mcdonalds clown. When I wasn't a vegetarian I always prefered KFC. I find spiders interesting too :)

I like your name Raven :) Buddhists can believe in none or any amount of Gods or Goddesses as they like...
    Joe
    edited December 2009
    I like your name Raven :) Buddhists can believe in none or any amount of Gods or Goddesses as they like...
    Joe

Hi Joe and thanks for the welcome.

Here is where I show my "newness" - I had no idea a Buddhist could believe in Deities. I know the Buddha never actually answered if God/s exist but most Buddhists I've spoken to are atheists and/or tell me that I can't embrace anatman and believe in Gods. Thanks for letting me know, I feel better knowing that.

edited December 2009
    Welcome everyone. :)
    edited December 2009
    Hiya Raven :D
    In fact, although I can't be sure, I think I read once that the Buddha might have believed in a number of God/essess:) I don't like a religion with petty rules and I think Buddhism doesn't really tell you to do much more that what's right, no offence anyone but I think telling someone to pray three times a day, or go to church every Sunday, is a bit petty and doesn't help you improve upon yourself than other things one could be doing. I don't fully believe in any religion, it's not right to believe exactly what somebody says, or are we no more than a flock of sheep, as Christians put it. What's the purpose in life if we're all the same? I believe the purpose in life, whether people agree or disagree, is to make the most of it, people should welcome their differences because with out differences we're no different from, well, grass I guess. You can still follow a belief without fully believing in it (as the Buddha himself said) and he even said it's good to question your belief also. I think it's always good to be sensitive too, if somebody believed in a God and I didn't I'm sure they'd be offended if I just said; "There is no God." Just as I get annoyed when people say there is none, or one, or two, or more, when no one can be a hundred percent curtain, it's impossible to be certain about, well, almost anything I should think. I just like it when people say; "I believe in-" because they're then just telling you what they believe in and not depending something that the other person doesn't believe.
    Sorry about that sometimes I just get a little speach off my mind once in a while LOL :)
    Joe (by the way in the last month or two I've gone through a lot of belief changes but I've looked as deep as I can and as far as I know I'm almost certainly an Agnostic) :)
  • edited December 2009
    Hello and welcome to new members!

_/\_

• edited December 2009
    Hi, I'm Josh from Philadelphia. I am a buddhist, but I dont really practice the festivals and celebrations like most Buddhists do. I am more of a Buddhist inside. It helps me to deal with some of the problems of modern life. Sometimes, when I am overwhelmed with stories of animal abuse or global warming, I am able to relax by zooming out, in a sense, and seeing the larger picture of life and our planet. Mind you, it doesnt always work.

I dont meditate as much as I used to. But I write short stories and poems, for kids and adults, which try to introduce the basic concepts of buddhism.

Well, I hope to feel at home here among other buddhists. I've been on many online forums, and never really felt comfortable in any of them. I usually leave the forums when I am frustrated by all the stupidity and selfishness of the forum posters. I dont think I'll have that problem here.

well, Cheers everyone. and Happy new year too.
    :)
    edited December 2009
    Welcome, WhiteOak.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi there folks / Namaste.
    Firstly happy new year / decade to you all.
    I currently live in Thailand but have found it hard to find Engish speaking monks in my travels. I'm looking at ordaining briefly in the next few weeks.
    Any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Adam.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • edited January 2010
    Hi everybody, I'm jati from Hannover/Germany, male, 36 years old. I have to apologize for my quite simple (and sometimes wrong) English, but hopefully I will improve it while learning more about Buddhism in this lovely forum ;)

I have approached the Buddhist path for several years now. But most of the time I didn't even realized that I was approaching anything ;) More than 20 years ago I've read "Siddharta" by Hermann Hesse, but I didn't got the connection to this strange asian thing named "Buddhism". And I didn't guessed that this could have any influence in my life. Several years later I had a very good friend, who was (and is) a Zen practitioner. He didn't told me much about it, but I've got interested in this whole thing. Two years ago I began to read more about Buddhism and tried to find an entrance to this cosmos. I found out that this Siddharta Gautama (you may know him) had some very interesting and useful insights. And I discovered that many of my views and thoughts in the past were already buddhist - without myself being a buddhist or even knowing the basics about it.

So I'm a novice to all these things. But I'm reading, hearing and watching a lot about Buddhism and gradually all this parts come together and maybe at some point in the future I can see something like a picture ;)

I don't know yet which of the buddhist traditions will be my favorite flavor. But I'm going to get in touch with other buddhists here in Hannover soon. Fortunately there are several groups and an association founded in the 1960s.

I'm very curious about what's going to happen with all this stuff and my life. But I'm glad to have discovered Buddhism - finally ;) And I'm looking forward to have some interesting and helpful discussions and exchange of ideas in this forum.

:om:
  • edited January 2010
    Welcome Jati :)
  • edited January 2010
    Welcome Whiteoak, Adam and Jati !

edited January 2010
    Welcome Josh :wavey: It's nice to meet you, I hope you like the forum, most of the people hear are great! :D I have the occasional argument but it's OK in the end, maybe I'm just argument prone *guilty*. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Adam! :D :wavey:

Happy New Year Jati! :wavey: Your English is great :D I only found one spelling mistake and a couple of wrongly used words, better then some people who naturally speak English LOL ;) And I don't think I know even a word of German, I can say a couple of common words in Spanish, a bit of French, and I can count to ten in Dutch, but that's about it I'm afraid :) Hope you in joy the forum, Namaste,
    P.S. Most of us know Siddartha Guatama BTW :) I think...

Love & Peace
    Joe
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    P.S. Most of us know Siddartha Guatama BTW :) I think...

Love & Peace
    Joe
    I think that was Jati making a joke, if I'm not mistaken, L&P. At least that's how I read it. And chuckled. Gotta hand it to someone who's so fearless as to make a joke in a language other than his own.

Welcome everyone!! It's lovely to meet you all!
  • edited January 2010
    I'm a former Catholic, I live in the 'bible belt' in the U.S and have been practicing for a year now. I attend a wonderful center founded by my teacher, Khenpo Gawang Rinpoche who is from Tibet.

I stumbled on this site just a few days ago and have enjoyed reading through some of the posts. There's a lot of great info on here!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Namaste.
    :om:
  • edited January 2010
    Welcome Librogeek :)
    edited January 2010
    Welcome Librogeek!

Brigid, I didn't know if he was joking or hadn't come across anything saying that he was the Buddha, maybe a misunderstanding? I realise I misunderstood and it was a stupid assumption on my part LOL. Sorry if that's the case Brigid and Jati. That's actually a good joke :D
  • edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    I think that was Jati making a joke, if I'm not mistaken, L&P. At least that's how I read it. And chuckled.

Yes, this was supposed to be a joke ;) Thank you for chuckling :)
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the welcomes!!
  • edited January 2010
    Welcome Librogeek !

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    jati wrote: »
    Yes, this was supposed to be a joke ;) Thank you for chuckling :)
    You're welcome! :D
    Thanks for the chuckle.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi folks:

Another Bible-belter here, mid-50's, widow for 10 years, two grown sons, and a real newbie.

I was raised in a Protestant denomination--in fact, I'm a preacher's kid--but it has been apparent for a couple of decades that as far as the church was concerned I've only been going through the motions spiritually. My real tie to the church has been through music, but once that is removed, I'm coming up empty.

I have been looking for an active forum like this for quite awhile, in hopes to learn how to start dealing with long-time ego issues, jealousies, and resentments that I know are blocking my path and damaging my relationships. At this point in my life, what I'm really looking for is a peaceful mind.

I've read Buddhist writings off and on for several years, and I think I understand things conceptually, but the practice and act of meditation seem so complicated when I try. I feel like I need a kid's coloring book with Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 all lined out! I'm good at coloring--I can stay inside the lines.

At any rate, I'm glad to find you and hope to start learning some things from a practical perspective . . . like how to develop compassion for people who annoy the hell out of me but I have to work with them anyway, and how to release myself from jealousy of my friends' long-term relationships. And how to give up my need to control the world. Just little stuff, lol.

Thanks,

Marla
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Welcome Jati, Librogeek, solowriter. How are things in Memphis, Libro? I like your pyramid. Too bad it has fallen into disuse!

Where in Oklahoma are you, solo? I spent some time in Tulsa when I accompanied one of our monks to the Cancer Treatment Center there a couple of times. I grew to really like the place, despite Oral and all the megachurches! Great Western art museum, probably the best in existence.

Palzang
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi I am a new member and have really enjoyed reading everyones questions and sharing. In buddhism I am influenced by the teacher of the course I am taking, Lama Shenpen Hookham who is a Tibetan Buddhist in the Karma Kagyu lineage.

I have had some difficulty previously dealing with contradicting views amongst groups in buddhism. But it has become easier with practice as I come to see that everyone need not be in agreement and everyone has unique needs from where they stand.
  • edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »

Where in Oklahoma are you, solo? I spent some time in Tulsa when I accompanied one of our monks to the Cancer Treatment Center there a couple of times. I grew to really like the place, despite Oral and all the megachurches! Great Western art museum, probably the best in existence.

Palzang

Hi Palzang, and thank you for the welcome. Tulsa is where I am, within a stone's throw from ORU. Cancer Treatment Center is great--my father worked through them for his colon cancer 10 years ago (very healthy now, no recurrence). I've been a Tulsan for 35 years now and really like it, in spite of its foibles. :D