Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited November 2009
    :bigclap:HI NamelessRiver,CassieDoodle,ThornBush and those whose names I did'nt mention,

Hi and welcome. I recognize some of the names frome other sites. The is a really people friendly and warm place. Glad to see you here.

Metta Gail
  • edited November 2009
    Hello all new members, nice to see you here :)
  • edited November 2009
    :)Hi Kaya,

This is a really great site!!!
  • edited November 2009
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this community. Just call me Sukhita. I am 61 years old/young. I live in Durban, South Africa. There are, to the best of my knowledge, very few Buddhists here in Durban. I have not personally met any of them. Hopefully, that will change after joining this forum.

I first took an interest in Buddhism about a year ago, after reading a book by the Dalai Lama. Up until then I was an agnostic popping my daily dose of antidepressants to keep my sanity. I acquired several Dhamma books and read each one of them with great interest. I have been living the lifestyle of a lay Buddhist for about ten months now and already my life has changed quite dramatically. I am much calmer, patient, and find happiness in simple everyday things. I cope with the disappointments of life much better.

As for my practice: I have set up a small shrine. I pay homage to the Triple Gem and recite the refuge and five precepts every morning and evening. I follow this up by reading a few verses from the Dhammapadda or other sacred texts. Then I meditate for about ten minutes- but I intend to gradually increase the meditation time. This routine inspires me to try and live mindfully for the rest of the day. All my other family members - wife, two daughters and a son - continue to practice Hinduism. My family is quite happy that I chose the Buddhist path rather than being an
    agnostic. So everyone's happy.

I sincerely appreciate this opportunity to be a part of the community.
    Metta.

Like a bee taking nectar from a blossom, leaving its color and scent intact, so should a sage wander in the village.
  • edited November 2009
    Hello and welcome, Sukhita.

_/\_

• edited November 2009
    Hi all

Im not all that new here.... i made an account some time ago, but since i mostly read i forgot my login and pass, so i had to make a new account
    Ive studied buddhism for about 5 years, so I generally consider myself a beginner. I mainly study in FPMT (Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition), and in january im starting the 2 year correspondance course called "Foundation of Buddhist Thought" which im looking very much forward too.

about a year ago i gave up my work as a carpenter in exchange for working as a caregiver for elders - which i have found to be an extremely beneficial way to practice wisdom and compassion in my everyday life.

I dont know if ill become an active part of the discussions here, since i usually find it wiser to let the more experienced and learned practitioners have the word. I think ill let time show what happens =)

Big Love

Allan
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Dazzle

Thanx for the warm welcome. I am already beginning to feel that this community will indeed inspire me on the Noble Path.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Sukhita and Allen.

It's lovely to meet you both and a great joy to welcome you to the site.

Denmark and South Africa! How wonderful! Please excuse my ebullience. Lol!! I'm from Canada and 'meeting' people from such far off places as Africa and Denmark is so much fun. I really love it when the world feels small and cozy like this. :D

Allan, I'm glad you came back and formally introduced yourself. I think it's beautiful that you changed careers and are now working with the elderly. I take care (as much as I can) of my aging parents with whom I now live on our family farm (non-working farm) and you're so right about it being beneficial to practice. Of course I'm not anywhere near your level in service and dedication to the elderly. I mean, their my parents and what I'm doing is considered the normal duty of a child in many cultures. But it's absolutely amazing how much living here with them has helped my practice.

They're still mobile and quite full of life but age is showing its signs. My papa fell while he was walking in the garden and couldn't get up last week and although he didn't break any bones it's taking a while for him to get his bearings again. I stayed calm on the outside when it happened but on the inside I was a bit frantic. I tried and tried to lift him up but it was no use. We had to call the neighbours who live half a mile away and ask them to come help us get him back on his feet. My papa is a big man, tall and very big boned, and he also has extra weight at the moment. My mother's a tiny thing and I'm physically disabled from a permanent back injury so there was nothing we could do until the neighbours arrived, bless their hearts for a million years. Seeing my papa lying on the ground like that and not being able to get him up was awful. It tore my heart up seeing him so vulnerable.

But it must have been much worse for my parents because about 10 years ago he fell on the ice and broke his hip. The really bad part was that my mother thought he'd gone into town and it was only after 50 minutes and some strange, frantic behaviour from their cat Malcolm that my mother came downstairs and saw through the window that the car was still here. That's when she found him and called an ambulance. He still had to wait there, lying on the ice, for the ambulance to arrive and it's a 20 minute drive from town where the hospital is. So he basically lay there for an hour and a half. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Before my mother found him he had tried to make his way back to the house by crawling and got about 10 metres in those 50 minutes. The image of my proud father crawling like that just kills me.

I wasn't living here with them when it happened so they had to go through it all by themselves. They both suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after it happened, with my mother's case being more serious. So when he fell again last week you can imagine the kind of thoughts and emotions that went through their minds. Luckily it wasn't serious and I was here this time. Even though I'm useless physically at least I can be a calming, comforting presence for them and can monitor my papa's condition as he gets better. It's also an enormous blessing for me to be here, especially when these kinds of things happen, because I don't have to feel as helpless as I did when I was living and working in a city 6 hours away.

I just want their golden years to be as happy and free of worry as possible. Other than practising Buddhism, that's the only thing I really care about. I know challenges will come, and they already have, but the three of us are much stronger together as a family unit than we are when we're apart.

Oh my! I did go on there a bit, didn't I? :o:lol:

Anyway, a big welcome to you both and I hope you find this site as helpful and warm as I have!
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Brigid

I appreciate your warm welcome. Sorry about your papa though - I hope he is doing fine now. May your family be well. With metta,
  • edited November 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Oh my! I did go on there a bit, didn't I? :o:lol:
    Thats why we love you :p

*HUGS*
  • edited November 2009
    :wavey: Hi Sukhita

:wavey: Hi Alan

I'm Susie :p
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Susie :wavey:
  • edited November 2009
    Well, this is quite a large thread so excuse me if I don't read it all.:)

Where to start. After having to deal with the loss of a family member when I was about 15 years old my "quest" for truth began. The last years I've always had a nihilist view on life because no way of looking at things is founded in any solid truth. I also became really cynical and skeptical and my view on life narrowed.

So I've always found life hard to bear and began meditating (Zen meditation) a few years ago. However I've always found meditation hard then and suffered from "white noise/static", meaning that my spirit/soul whatever actually became asleep instead of waking up and enjoying life in all its greatness. So everything in life was dull, or just ok.

A real "breaktrough" in my way of looking at things was when I did Buddhist meditation at a Buddhist centre in the place where I used to live. It was a really loving group of people and I participated in their meditation.

Afterwards my spirit was uplifted and I felt a great energy flowing through me and it felt like I was walking on air. This feeling lasted for a few hours and after reading different Buddhist texts and posts on this forum I can relate this "transcendent" feeling I had with the concepts of Buddhism. The feeling is indescribable and I cannot imagine that any drug can ever beat it.

Now I'm in a time of my life where I feel that I have to do "something" with this flash of insight and things that used to be important are just not that important anymore. I'm feeling quite unstable lately because I have to figure out what to do with my life with this realization and am grasping way too hard to attain that feeling I once had again. I also find it hard to share with my girlfriend and am afraid that this new "path" in my life might break us up eventually.

So, hope it's not a sob story or too personal for an introduction, but I think it's best to be as honest as possible upfront. :)

I wish you all the best!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Alphabet wrote: »
    Well, this is quite a large thread so excuse me if I don't read it all.:)

Ha! Alphabet, I like you already! A conscientious lad, yet practical.
    Please chime in on your experiences and thoughts and be well!

May the Force Be Always With You!
    Learn to make the whole world your own.
    No one is a stranger, my child;
    this whole world is your own.

—Sri Sarada Devi (Holy Mother)

Post 888
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi Alphabet,

Welcome. I can relate to where you're at. When the Dharma kind of hits you between the eyes it can really disrupt your life. That's a good thing actually, but it can be disorienting and hard on those around you who don't understand what's happening. It can also be really hard on relationships, especially if one half is into Buddhism and the other half isn't. I've seen more than a few relationships end because of it. That doesn't mean it'll happen to you, but it is a possibility. My advice is to just go with the flow and do the best you can to avoid hurting anybody unnecessarily while still remaining true to yourself.

In my case, it meant dropping out of grad school and abandoning my pursuit of the doctorate I had previously thought was so important. It no longer seemed relevant to my life and what I wanted to do with it. There were some very rocky years between then and now, but I think they've been well worth it.

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Hello Alphabet, and welcome.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited November 2009
    :wavey: Hi Alphabet
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Alphabet.

Lovely intro, imho.

Welcome to the site. It's a pleasure to meet you.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi everyone! I'm new here:)

I'm Joe and I live in North Lincolnshire, England.
    I've not always been a Buddhist, and non of my family and friends were before I became a Buddhist. I've made Buddhist friends though.

When I was born I was Christened a Church of England Christian but was really to young to hold any understood belief until I was seven. That's when my parents broke up and I became a Pesimistic Goth. A year later I converted to a Christian (although Catholic) but when I was nine I read an eye-opening book about how cruel Christians had been to Pagans 1500 years ago and became almost ashamed of being a Christian. I became an Atheist for another year until I made up my own belief system called 'Spirology'. When I turned 11 I realised if anyone was to take me seriously about my belief I needed a real religion. I searched as an Atheist for a few months until I was lucky enough to come across Buddhism, it was fascinating and I've been one since. At first I was an Atheist Buddhist then a Mahayanan---> Pollitheistic --->Agnostic---> Realist/Agnostic--> Now I'm a Realist/Optimist Agnostic Buddhist. :)

My favourite colours are orange, green, peach, cream, bronze, turqoise, tan, purple, red, yellow, black, brown, grey... that's all I can think of for now (that was favourite first).
    I love pigs, dogs, hedgehogs, echidnas, hamsters, guinea-pigs, penguins, rabbits, deer, ponies, sheep, goats, donkeys (don't let me continue...:p)

My hobbies include reading, writing, learning, strolls, day-dreams:o, poetry, fund-raising oportunities, trampolining, swimming, playing my tenor-horn, and keeping tropical fish (Love 'Em!)

I love my finding out about my past and ancestors, here's some more intersesting nuggets of my family history;

My great uncle hung himself, my great granddad was a murderer, I had an Irish Great Great Granddad and my Mum's Scottish.
    On my Dad's side he's English and 500 years ago we originated from Holland and helped transform a swamp into a village we live in (we're only five metres above water level!) One on my Great Great Granddads was the king's best soldier in WWl (that's a seargant's seargant)!

About my family;

Granddad; 64 years old, lorry driver; Church of England Christian.
    Nan Magoo; 61, social worker; Church of England Christian.
    Nan; 61, housewife/nanny/dog carer; Christian.
    Uncle Geoff; 43, stock control manager; Anti-Christ.
    Dad; 42, lorry driver; Atheist.
    Mum; 36, insurance accountent; Church of England Christian.
    Auntie Lynsey; 32, beautician/chocolatier/full-time mother; Agnostic.
    Brother Will; 15, secondery school/college/working to be a plumber; Anti-Religious.
    Cousin Alexandria; 10, school/actual author of a soon to be published book!!!; Anti-Christ.
    Cousin Niall; 8, school; Anti-Christ.
    Cousin Daniella; 6, school; Atheist.
    Cousin Rebecca; 1, toddler; to young for a belief.
    Cousin Albert; 3 months, baby; ditto ^^^^^^^^

Sorry, I just love my family:)

Here are my pets;

Molly; 9, Parson's Long-Legged Jack Russell.
    Nibbles; 8, Feral Rabbit.
    Thumper; 3, Dutch Rabbit.
    Minty; 2, Albino Dwarf Rabbit.
    Fudge; 7, Blue Budgie.
    Fish;
    Bronze Corydoras x 1; Bronzeater.
    Red Dwarf Gourami x 2; Robin & Lester.
    Neon Tetras x 2; Nessi & Norbit.
    Guppy Fry x 2; Rhian & Twinnie.
    Glowlight Tetras x 5; Domini, Glow, Light, Tet & Ra.
    Snails x Dozens; Jimmy and his children (all called Fred:)).

Sorry for going on,
    Joe:)
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Love 'n Peace,

what a nice introduction. You actually put a smile on my face and happy to hear your enjoying life so much. My family didn't leave Holland though (we call it the Netherlands nowadays) and still enjoying it here. I actually live about 5 metres under sea level (hope the dikes never break!).

Have a great time here, hope you've found what you're looking for in Buddhism :-), else keep looking I'd say, life's an adventure after all!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi to all the new members. sign0062.gif

Love'N'Peace, do you like animals or something? :lol: There should be a pet picture Thread... :)
    edited November 2009
    Thanks,
    I sincerely hope they don't break!!!

I do love animals and life and stuff, to say I have a chest infection with an increased chance of death from pneumonia, divorced parents barely clinging onto a house (and in my dad's case sanity), best friends who hate each other, been dumped after a like 'since ever' relationship and my dad no longer speaking to me for no actual reason I honestly wouldn't have it another way. It's my life and you only lead the same life with the same situations once so while I'm here I'll smile at cruel fate and continue happily along that scabby, loveable little footpath I call life:rolleyes:

I'd love to get some pictures up. You should see my dog and fish, there beauties:o
  • edited November 2009
    There should be a pet picture Thread... :)
    Don't even start me! Don't even start me! :bigclap:
  • edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm new here:)

Hiya Joe :D
    Shall we get a pet pic thread started? ;)

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    So what's it like to be a pessimistic goth? Do they have a catechism? :)
    edited November 2009
    Pet thread! Pet thread!:D How should we make one?

pessimistic goth... don't really remember. I'll just say don't be one, it's much more fullfilling being a Buddhist.:)
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    So what's it like to be a pessimistic goth? Do they have a catechism? :)
    Yes, basically, your just supposed to be miserable.
    You look miserable and go around saying woe is me.

When your not really like that, but are 'meant to be' then its kind of hard, and you wonder why are you being this.
  • edited November 2009
    Auntie Lynsey; 32, chocolatier
    Chocolatier? Chocolatier?
    I would be round there daily licking the spoon :eek:
    edited November 2009
    I suppose she lives the dream, she loves chocolate, nail fashion and kids and she has five children, tastes chocolate and does nails for a living!;)
    Joe

*fantasizes about melty chocolate*
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Joe.

I found your intro absolutely charming! You sound like a wonderful, optimistic, intelligent, and warm hearted young man (you are a male, right?). It's lovely to meet you.

And thank you for giving us so much info about yourself and your family. Always remember to make up names for yourself, family members and friends when you write about them on the internet and never give info like where you live, go to school, how old you are, what you look like, or anything else that could give you away. You're really smart and you already know this but just as a reminder, anyone in the world can read anything you post online unless it's password protected or secured in some other way and we all know there are a lot of dangerous people out there, right? So always be very private and cautious no matter how safe you may feel. We all feel pretty safe when we're on our computers at home or someplace else we go to a lot. We have to be smart and wise. Even though I love to hear all about my friends here at NewBuddhist I never ask for personal info like where they live and so on and I never give that info to anybody, even my friends here. So don't give any info to anyone unless your whole family knows them, has met them in person, and approves of them. K? :)

By the way, what does Anti-Christ mean?
    edited November 2009
    Hi Brigid,:)

Thanks, I'll remember not to give out to much personal information- the problem is a love to rattle on about my self:o.

I don't actually know what anti-Christ means, I've just heard the word occasionly on religious argument forums, I thought it means you entirely disagree and are against Christianity? Well that's what I meant anyway, infact my uncle is very annoying, I mention one tiny belief of mine infront of my cousins and he gives me a glare so sharp I almost bleed LOL.
    What's really annoying is they celebrate Christmas when they hate Christianity! I do it because it would be unkind of me not to share gifts but I also share a few Christian beliefs and read the Bible (it helps be more understanding of Christians and there beliefs- if you look into things closely and the real meanings of certain words it's not that far-fetched as some people think!):)

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Well, asking for someone's general location so that you can help them find a Buddhist center is reasonable.
  • edited November 2009
    Woohoo - powers up again........ been without electricety for some days now, and oh my its been some cold nights and days :eek: (But good practice) ;)

Brigid - it was a very moving story (is story the right word???) i think that its wonderful that your parents and you are able to live together and take care of each other - it seems like a very rare thing these days.
    Thanks for the warm welcome - ill try to be a bit more active....... if i think i have something to contribute with, that is :D

Big love

Allan
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Glad your power's back on, Allan. :)

Fivebells,

Yes, that is definitely okay just as long as you don't ask them for their address and phone number! Lol!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi Brigid,:)

Thanks, I'll remember not to give out to much personal information- the problem is a love to rattle on about my self:o.

I don't actually know what anti-Christ means, I've just heard the word occasionly on religious argument forums, I thought it means you entirely disagree and are against Christianity? Well that's what I meant anyway, infact my uncle is very annoying, I mention one tiny belief of mine infront of my cousins and he gives me a glare so sharp I almost bleed LOL.
    What's really annoying is they celebrate Christmas when they hate Christianity! I do it because it would be unkind of me not to share gifts but I also share a few Christian beliefs and read the Bible (it helps be more understanding of Christians and there beliefs- if you look into things closely and the real meanings of certain words it's not that far-fetched as some people think!):)

Thanks for clarifying that, Joe.

I asked because I always thought the term 'anti-Christ' meant the devil or a being that would be born on earth that would manifest exactly the opposite attributes of Christ, i.e. all negtive, evil things.
    edited November 2009
    LOL!

Hi everyone I'm Joe and my uncle's the being that would be born on earth that would manifest exactly the opposite attributes of Christ, i.e. all negtive, evil things.

I wonder what people would say to that!
    Well, hopefully it doesn't mean that...

LOL :lol:
  • edited November 2009
    Hi all.....another new member here. I've been lurking around in the background for a while, reading some of your wonderful posts and have finally decided to bite the bullet. I have had an interest in meditation for a couple of years now....practicing on and off. Currently managing to keep up a fairly regular practice I am happy to add. I have recently found myself more and more drawn to Buddhism but still think I have a long way to go before I could call myself a Buddhist. Anyway......I think I may be one of those posters who has much to ask and not much to offer ....so please bear with me. Nice to meet you all.
  • edited November 2009
    Hello and welcome to Love N' Peace and to Calamity.

edited November 2009
    Thanks Dazzle!:p
    Hi Calamity! We all start off with questions at the begining, no one starts off an expert so settle down and ask questions to your hearts content;)
    *passes you a hot chocolate*:D
  • edited November 2009
    Wow, lots of new members!, hello Allanstevns, Sukhita, Alphabet, Love'N'Peace, and Calamity. Welcome :)
    edited November 2009
    Thanks! Hello Kaya :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Calamity.

Welcome to the site. It's lovely to meet you.
  • edited November 2009
    :wavey: Hi Calamity
  • edited November 2009
    Name: Erin
    Sign: Gemini/Horse
    Hair: Light Brown
    Eyes: Green
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: A lady never reveals...just more than I'd like it to be, ok?!
    Born: Elkins, WV, US
    Currently: South Central TX
    Favorite color: Green
    Favorite band: I love music, so this is a tough one, Barenaked Ladies?, The Fray? Hmmm, I just don't know
    Favorite food: Anything homemade
    Favorite movie: Love Actually
    Favorite book: Another tough one, since I'm an avid reader, hmmm, I think the Alchemist by Paolo Cuehlo is my favorite, but I also love Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia - depends on the mood, I guess!

I'm Erin, a special education teacher in TX. I've been searching for awhile now to find a path that is right for me. I've studied Paganism, specifically Wicca, was Christian as a child and read often about Tao, Hinduism and various other religions. I'm here to find out more about Buddhism. I'm a naturalist, the environment and living close to nature are very important to me, although i realize in our ever-changing world this is getting harder and harder. My search for my path may take me a lifetime, but I love to learn and meet new people, so hopefully along the way I will do just that. I look forward to talking to you all soon!
    edited November 2009
    Hi Erin,
    You sound a nice person :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi, Erin.

Welcome to the site.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Welcome, Erin. I've read some of your other posts as well, and I like where you're coming from. I don't get here as much anymore as I used to - too busy! But I drop in when I can (like today, turkey day - no work).

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Name: Marc
    Sign: Sagittarius
    Hair: Blonde
    Eyes: Dark brown
    Height: 186 cm
    Weight: No idea
    Born: The Netherlands
    Currently: The Netherlands
    Favorite color: White
    Favorite band: Oasis, Bob Dylan, Andrew Bird
    Favorite food: chicken teriyaki
    Favorite movie: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Papillon, Rain Man

I'm not a Buddhist, but I practice Vipassana

...Hello!
    edited November 2009
    Hello Marc!:D:wavey:
    Joe
  • edited November 2009
    Name: Kevin
    Sign: Gemini
    Hair: Light Brown
    Eyes: Green
    Height: 6'2"
    Born: Canton, Ohio, United States
    Currently: Canton, Ohio, United States

I became interested in Buddhism when I started looking into the conflict between China and Tibet and began to respect the Dalai Lama's peaceful resistance.

Glad to be here. :D