Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    So, Palzang-not-orang (lets be friends :p) what's ze difference between ze practive and ze philosophy? I wonder which one will be good for me... :)

Hmmm, both are important, you know. I think in your case I would recommend both, but you can answer that better than I can. Just do what feels natural.

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    Hello, you can call me masuyo.
    This is the first time I have sought out direction or advice from other buddhists (other than books).

I hope my stay will be enjoyable.
  • edited February 2010
    Just saying Hi.

Was a practicing buddhist for quite a long time but have let it fall by the wayside in the last 2 or 3 years. Funny how I became angry at myself and my practice for bad things happening in life, only to find my life in more a of a disarray now than before.

I may just dip my toe in the water now and again, rather than jumping in headfirst.
  • edited February 2010
    Ik hou van de Nederlandse taal.(=what is correct).But I find it a very good attempt :).I give it a 9 out of 10 !!!
    It is a very difficult language for people who are not from the region.I have allways had a problem with languages,I find "logic" things like science,fysics a lot more easy.I only speak 3 languages well(German,Dutch and English)and allways found it very special of people who spoke a lot more!(my English is far from perfect).
    I wish you and all other all the best : Eric................
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi everyone.

Welcome to the site! It's lovely to meet you all.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi Masuyo and WetDog :wavey: I assure you'll enjoy your stay :D

Thanks Eric, three languages is good. I only know English and a tiny bit of Spanish and Dutch, I'm gaining headway in the French language though. Does anybody had a reliable link where I can learn Dutch? Thanks!

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited February 2010
    Hello everyone.
    Been bouncing Buddhism around for some time. brought up christian, but the christian followers themselves have succeeded in turning me right off...if they say they're a christian, you'd best run...lol.
    Anyway, always a lover of American Indian religions, where one accepts as equal the OTHER living things here, including the plants...all things are given respect.
    buddhism caught my eye early last year...and I've been thinking about it more than ever.
    some personal issues of late have got me thinking about it again. Right now I'm in the transitional, hanging on edge, but hoping for change. have begun doing yoga at 6:00 am
    with the Oxygen network. So out of shape can only do half of his set right now, but each day I feel stronger. this board can hopefully give me the mental strength while I work on the physical. Well, must keep this short, he'll be on air in about 15 minutes, I have to get ready. Thanks to all who care to reply.
    edited February 2010
    Hi Lostandfound :wavey:

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Welcome to the site, Lostandfound.

It's lovely to meet you.

Happy yoga!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Does anybody had a reliable link where I can learn Dutch? Thanks!

Try this one: http://www.learndutch.org/

Clever name, eh?

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Never would have thought of trying that in the search engine Palzang... :crazy:
    edited February 2010
  • edited February 2010
    Question: Why is the site refusing my avatar? it is a jpg, and small at that. Any ideas/ Thanks
  • edited February 2010
    I have been looking around for you and have found one for English speaking people who want to learn Dutch.
    This is the link:http://www.taalthuis.com/
    I hope it is a good one,if not just tell me and I will try to find another one.
    I have only been looking for free sites,I hope that is all right.;)

All the best:Eric..........:)
    edited February 2010
    That's great thanks Eric. I'll store it in my favourites :D

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited February 2010
    I was happy to be able to help.And if it is no good REALLY just tell me.Greetings:E.
    edited February 2010
    Okey dokey :) (that means OK if you don't know English 'slang' LOL)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited February 2010
    With all the "rap" on t.v. I know more slang than is good for me :)
    I allmost do not watch any t.v. but it is "allmost" forced upon someone in this society,the I can`t escape it.
    Eric
  • edited February 2010
    Nah eric, just get rid of your TV, that's what I did. :) I am glad I decided to do that too... :D
    edited February 2010
    They'd throw it in with me a-clinging. Nah, I could last without it, although not without my books and music... maybe a telly for movies... No, I'll just go to the cinema every week LOL
    Me fave song;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4
  • PaxPax
    edited February 2010
    Question: Why is the site refusing my avatar? it is a jpg, and small at that. Any ideas/ Thanks
    You might try PMing the site admin, he was very quick to respond a query I sent to him.
    edited February 2010
    Who is he BTW?
  • edited February 2010
    I wrote the wrong name over my message,sorry for that to L&peace and Now is reallity !!! I do watch the BBC,N.G.C,and Discovery sometimes,only stuff that "feeds the mind"no series,shows and NO (!!!!) soaps (a media-form of valium).And I`m no person who needs T.V.,I`ve lived without for long times.But sometimes my head is a bit of a chaos and then it relaxes a bit.I see you are from England,I have some English friends(I find their minds to be as "free" as the Dutch,well I must say:SOME OF THEM).I have been to Manchester a few times and London.Still want to go to Scotland and Ireland,BEAUTIFUL there !!!

Eric.;)
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you Pax. :)
  • PaxPax
    edited February 2010
    Who is he BTW?
    Lincoln is who I contacted.
  • edited February 2010
    Joe, that song is so over-played! AH! lol. :)
  • edited February 2010
    And welcome lostandfound :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hope they "find" your avatar, Lost & Found! Lincoln will handle it. He's a good man, no matter what they say...

Jellybean, I think you need to do a 3 year retreat in a cave somewhere. You're too plugged in!

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    What are you trying to say Palzangie?
    My mind (atleast I think) is free, depending what you perceive as a 'free mind' :D Are The Netherlands beautiful? :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I read an article in the NYT about how plugged in kids are today. They spend like 80% of their waking hours (when not in school, that is, but even there) hooked up to some form of electronic device - computer, iPod, phone, TV or whatever. Of course, it wasn't that much different when I was a kid, just that the range of selection of electronic devices wasn't so great (radio/TV/phonographs/phones was about it!).

I don't know if I'd call the Netherlands beautiful. They are the "low lands", you know, which means they're pretty flat and uninteresting. The Dutch do, however, keep it clean! But you should go there before global warming makes it "Lake Netherlands"! :hair:

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    I really loved reading your message :):):).I think exactly the same about Holland,quite flat and uninteresting(We have 1 "mountain" (322m) :) ).But I do like some of the people (liberal-minded),and we do have "nice" cities and nuture reserves.I find that the whole contact lost between the people because of t.v.\vid.games\MSN ect.is THE greatest reason the world is so *****-up the last +/-20 years or so.When I was a little kid you played with friends,you interacted with them and the world.People a tought to "specialize in 1 thing(their work,or as kids:wat will be their work) and for the rest are "handicapt" in their minds.Well I`m going to far,again.I hope you understand what I mean. Greetz:Eric...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I liked Holland, but it's not Grand Canyon scenery. Just pleasant countryside scenery, very beautiful in its own quiet way with nice villages on canals and windmills and all that. I didn't really see any pollution (well, maybe a little in Amsterdam, but that's a big city). I wouldn't mind living there. Sure beats Cleveland! (Sorry, Clevelanders!)

A monk from Australia was visiting last year, and as we drove through the town where I live he asked, "Where are all the kids?" And he's right, you don't see kids playing outside as much as you used to. They're all inside playing video games or surfing the net or other forms of entertainment (drugs are big in my town apparently). It's sad really.

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    Drugs broke my spirit,my mind my life...everything..I had to lose it all,go to prison,then my mother got very sick,needed help 24/7 and I was the only one left,and that was +/-6 years ago.I HAD to help her(not only because of her,for me too),I stopped with eveything and only now Ï`m starting over".I say that because I really hate harddrugs.I do smoke some grass once or twice a week.I would not wish that upon anyone.But I`ve thought about this a lot...Now one for your mind:Combine the 2(lack of contact\skills and so + the drugs.)It goes hand in hand.Kids should do kid-things.I really think:Ora pro nobis..And I believe it is going to get a lot worse in the world...I do hope I`m proven wrong..All the best;Eric....
    edited February 2010
    Holland sound nice :) I like windmills.
    And Palzang, what is this 'outside' of which you speak?
    love_my_computer_000.jpg

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
  • edited February 2010
    ^Hehehehehehe joe, you're funny.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi, everyone, I'm new here... you can call me Sachiko ^__^ I'm a student in my last year of school in the UK, and I'm going to study East Asian languages at university next year. Hopefully there I will find other Buddhists, but at the moment I am very much alone D:

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Buddhism; I've been influenced by it throughout my life but never took it seriously until recently. I hope you will be patient with my questions!
  • edited February 2010
    Hello everyone.

I'm quite new to buddhism although i'm really interested in learning more.

pleased to meet you all.

Wax
  • edited February 2010
    Hey Sachiko, there are a couple young buddhist on here... including myself, love'n'peace, nomad_buddha... and a few others i am sure who don't post a lot. I hear you about the being 'alone' part, I haven't told anyone really, so I consider myself a "closet buddhist" and as far as questions go, it is better to question than to simply accept.

Hello wax, welcome the forum! :)

Ashley

wax_on!
  • edited February 2010
    Hello!

Just found this site about five minutes ago. I'm a college student and I've recently taken an interest in Buddhism (I personally am finding that it makes more sense than a lot of other religions seem to). The extent of what I know is from books I've been reading and a college introductory course to Buddhism, so I am still extremely new to Buddhism (but I really am trying to learn more!).

I am excited to have found somewhere that I can ask questions and express my interest in Buddhism with others!
  • edited February 2010
    Love the picture :)
    edited February 2010
    Hi Sachiko, Wax_On and Starbreeze :wavey:
    I love that avatar Eric- she's hilarious :D
  • edited February 2010
    Hello to our new members ! :)

and

. welcomestars.gif

• edited February 2010
    That is a photo of me !!!! No,all jokes beside.
    It is a: Gif-file,she\it moves too.It`s one of my best ones.

Greetzzzzzzzzz:Eric......
    edited February 2010
    You look like an Eric actually...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    And Palzang, what is this 'outside' of which you speak?
    love_my_computer_000.jpg

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

Outside is a place only very special people can go. You know, ones who have legs that run and hands that catch and throw and climb and do cartwheels. You probably would have to get an avatar to go there because the atmosphere would probably be too toxic for you to live. Too much oxygen...

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Eric wrote: »
    That is a photo of me !!!! No,all jokes beside.
    It is a: Gif-file,she\it moves too.It`s one of my best ones.

Greetzzzzzzzzz:Eric......

Wow, it must move too fast for me to see!

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Welcome to all the new members.

Starbreeze, I don't know what your college textbooks are like, but the religion course I had in college gave me a totally warped view of Buddhism. I think the best thing to do is to visit a Buddhist temple or center if there's one near you and get a taste of the real thing. I know that made a big difference for me.

Palzang
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'm new here. I'm an old dharma bum with beginner's mind. Looking forward to getting to know some of you.
  • edited February 2010
    I`m a newbie too.Wish you all the best and WELCOME.
    edited February 2010
    It does move! I've seen it, but you've got to have the karma!!
    Ooooh t sssss aaaaahhhh yd-d. Oooowwwwt saaaaa yyyyeeedddd. Out saa yd. Out side. Outside! Sounds nice! I once saw a picture of a tree on the internet.
    dead20flower.jpg

Have you ever seen anything so real, colourful, and natural. It makes me want to stand up and step gingerly towards the three-inch thick curtains...

Love & Peace
    Jellybean