Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Naomi Wolf thinks the Tea Partiers fight Fascism

123457»

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    that's funny, i just learned i'm white! hahaha.

Wow, me too! What an amazing book! </sarcasm>
  • edited September 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    A country of just Christians wouldn't be too bad, they're quite cool on a whole (really!) but yeah, quite boring...

sort of not into any religion right now.
  • edited September 2010
    I was joking

oh. ok. ;)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited September 2010
    that's funny, i just learned i'm white! hahaha.

i find it interesting that they put "getting sarah silverman" as one of the things that "white people like" when i feel like this book is a very similar type of humor.

i still feel like it falls very short of a "bible" though. i mean, it just seems kinda odd that you consider anything that's written as comedy and whose main title suggests segregation as a "bible". i mean, i feel ya, i laughed at a few of the topics because people can be silly and i'm chillin on a chair from IKEA as we speak (although fyi, they are way cheaper and better made than any of the competition)... but it's ultimately comedy. to laugh at "stuff white people like" either makes you laugh at yourself or laugh at others and as a result, feel more superior than them. only the first is acceptable in my book.
    free-trade gourmet coffee, leafing through the Sunday New York Times, and listening to David Sedaris on NPR (ideally all at the same time). Apple products, indie music, food co-ops, and vintage T-shirts make them weak in the knees.

They believe they’re unique, yet somehow they’re all exactly the same, talking about how they “get” Sarah Silverman’s “subversive” comedy and Wes Anderson’s “droll” films. They’re also down with diversity and up on all the best microbrews, breakfast spots, foreign cinema, and authentic sushi. They’re organic, ironic, and do not own TVs.
    Also, Ikea couch? Swedish are white :rolleyes: And I don't like coffee (I'm a Brit, tea is obviously nicer :D), I don't live anywhere, or have ever been anywhere that was even slightly close to the contenent New York is in, don't know who David Sedaris or NRP is/are. I wish I owned apple products though, don't know what indie music is, my village does have a co-op though, vintage T-shirts... well we wear what eva we like. We're very different (as is everyone), don't know who Sarah Silverman is, of Wes Anderson, or droll films. I'm surrportive of diversity, don't eat/drink microbrews, OK, maybe breakfast spots, foreign cinema only because America crams its crummy cinema onto our big screens (speaking as a Brit here) :p Only snobs eat sushi (most caucasians are as common as muck and just as poor in Britain- although we each own about fifty TVs). Even if it is a comedy, they could atleast make an aggeration something like the truth :rolleyes:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Also, Ikea couch? Swedish are white :rolleyes: And I don't like coffee (I'm a Brit, tea is obviously nicer :D), I don't live anywhere, or have ever been anywhere that was even slightly close to the contenent New York is in, don't know who David Sedaris or NRP is/are. I wish I owned apple products though, don't know what indie music is, my village does have a co-op though, vintage T-shirts... well we wear what eva we like. We're very different (as is everyone), don't know who Sarah Silverman is, of Wes Anderson, or droll films. I'm surrportive of diversity, don't eat/drink microbrews, OK, maybe breakfast spots, foreign cinema only because America crams its crummy cinema onto our big screens (speaking as a Brit here) :p Only snobs eat sushi (most caucasians are as common as muck and just as poor in Britain- although we each own about fifty TVs). Even if it is a comedy, they could atleast make an aggeration something like the truth :rolleyes:

maybe it only works for americans.

for example, i'll be honest... i love coffee, i buy fair trade sometimes because i always grind my own beans anyways. i don't really think about it. i balance quality with price and buy whatever i like the best with the best bang for my buck.

i don't read the new york times.

never read any david sedaris, but i do like NPR. fail to see what's wrong with that. it keeps me up better during long drives (because it is engaging) and you learn something.

i hate apple. i'm a pc. hahaha. i don't mean to hate them, i just can't stand their technology and every time i'm forced to interact with it.

indie music... i'm sure i listen to some indie music because i like a lot of different stuff. unless i am mistaken, the indie scene started as the alternative to the big money record labels and again, i don't see what's wrong with this.

food co-ops... i don't even know what this is. is this like a farmers market? because i do go to those... why not? fresh veggies and fruits + supporting the local economy, oh yeah, that's totally so lame that white people like that. who isn't aware that home grown tastes better?

vintage t shirts. i've never bought one, but i have some that are probably vintage by now... lol.

believing you are unique... yeahhh... this is clearly just a "white people" thing. doubtful.

"getting" sarah silverman. she just makes me roflmao. seriously. and i don't understand this one because i swear my girlfriend and i are the only people who like her. all my friends refuse to watch her show with me. i'm surprised to find out she's trendy.

wes anderson
    ... pretty indifferent, really.

microbrews... sorry, i love microbrews. microbrews have a better process and are less likely to give you a hangover. and once again, supporting local economy. i hardly see how it's a bad thing to get a Ghettoblaster and support Motor City Brewery instead of giving my money to Budweiser.

breakfast spots... it's so weird, but i've always felt like the hot "breakfast spots" seem to have really good food. but they're so trendy and lame. because, you know, people always talk about them and go there frequently... to eat good food. lame.

foreign cinema. okay, seriously? it's a bad thing to step outside your american bubble? since when?

sushi... i do love sushi. sorry. i had never had it before i went to japan when i was 16. it was weird at first, but became one of my favorite foods. it's healthy and interesting and cheap. again, i don't understand whats wrong with liking things from other cultures.

this is what's happening with this book. once upon a time, there was no indie scene like the one we find now. then, some people started buying fair and eating sushi all the time and becoming "waaaay more indie than thou" and making others feel dumb for not listening to the newest hottest most underground music or buying "fair trade" instead of supporting sweat shops, or something. some people hopped on the bandwagon and got all swept away with this new and cool scene. so others felt ostracized and started to point the finger back at THESE indie people and pointing out their inconsistencies and telling them how lame THEY are. everyone is trying to claim their individuality here, while actually buying into some ideology.

either way, it's just an excuse to bitch about other people. and bitching never did anyone any good. the only stuff that matters is if you actually get out there and DO something. but instead i'm just on here bitching about people bitching about trendy indie folk. (pretty sure that makes me the MOST unique elitist here, mmhmm <---sarcasm) when the real thing that bothers me about this is that it is completely stereotypical and gives us all another label maker and box to put other people in while stroking our little egos into thinking we're better than other people. lame.

this book does not seem to be helpful in the least.
    edited September 2010
    Stop saying lame woman! *slaps you round the face* :p
    Scared of technology are we? First sign of age :lol:
    Well in my village we have this shop called the Co-Op (short for The Cooperative) where all its own brand food is fair trade, organic, responsibly caught/kept/grown yummies... apparently :-/
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Not reading this thread (oops! ;) ) but saw this article and thought I'd post as it's about one of the TP "stars"?!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/20/christine-o-donnell-dabbled-witchcraft
    edited September 2010
    Stop saying lame woman! *slaps you round the face* :p
    Scared of technology are we? First sign of age :lol:
    Well in my village we have this shop called the Co-Op (short for The Cooperative) where all its own brand food is fair trade, organic, responsibly caught/kept/grown yummies... apparently :-/

Just thought DO NOT get on a conversation about food, threads like this always end badly
  • Buddha_RocketBuddha_Rocket Explorer
    edited September 2010
    Not reading this thread (oops! ;) ) but saw this article and thought I'd post as it's about one of the TP "stars"?!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/20/christine-o-donnell-dabbled-witchcraft

I have dabbled in Buddhism. It taught me how to REALLY question authority and think Libertarian.
    edited September 2010
    Put on your sunglasses people
    edited September 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    So basically you're fine with tax dollars being used to prop up private businesses (in this case vouchers for private schools) but not fine with taxpayer dollars being used to finance a taxpayer controlled public system? Figures.

No, you altered someone else's writing and added your own bugaboo at every possible point. It's intellectually lazy and dishonest.

You have a mind so that's why you're altering articles and using a dumb quote from a dumb film made by some guys who's sole purpose is to be outlandish as possible for your argument?

Should I change "pubic" to "government", or let this one speak for itself?

billboard2.jpg

Oops! Billboard spelling error creates embarrassment

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/Billboard-Spelling-Error-Creates-Embarrassment-103312449.html?ref=nf

Story Created: Sep 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM EDT
    Story Updated: Sep 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM EDT
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Because clearly the people running the schools are the same people working at the ad agency responsible for putting that billboard up. If you have an argument with actual substance I'm all ears. Until then however I am finished with this conversation.
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait for that pubic health care option.
  • edited September 2010

billboard2.jpg

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/Billboard-Spelling-Error-Creates-Embarrassment-103312449.html?ref=nf

LOL. how could someone be this stupid?
  • edited September 2010
    Put on your sunglasses people

:cool: ... why?
    edited September 2010
    Y, n i wi awl gow too privote skools weel nevir, evir, evir, evir, evir moyk ugh mustake n ur howl layves. i gu tu u publik skool n oim serisly behaynd i exhams
    edited September 2010
    LOL, I didn't even notice it said pubic :lol:
    edited September 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    :cool: ... why?

*snigger* think "sunshine" and "arse" *snort snuffle snigger*
    edited September 2010

billboard2.jpg

Look, Mr Shoulddosomethingusefulinhissparetimeforonce not everyone can afford PRIVATE SCHOOLS! And not everyone wants to go to them, either.
    edited September 2010
    Look, Mr Shoulddosomethingusefulinhissparetimeforonce not everyone can afford PRIVATE SCHOOLS! And not everyone wants to go to them, either.

Trust me, I didn't join a Buddhist forum just to find Libertarian bashing. It was quite the surprise.

I have been talking about a per-student funding system. The student gets money instead of government schools, and the student/parent gets to choose the school competes for their business. They don't just go to to the government school that happens to be closest to them. I am actually tired of talking about it. I think I made my point but the photo in the news was just too good to pass up posting.
    edited September 2010
    Trust me, I didn't join a Buddhist forum just to find Libertarian bashing. It was quite the surprise.

Seriously? You're surprised to find an inherently selfish, materialistic philosophy unpopular on a forum dedicated to a belief system that teaches compassion, alleviation of suffering and non-attachment as some of its main tenants?
  • edited September 2010

I have been talking about a per-student funding system.

Which has nothing to do with Buddhism or the path trail blazed by the Buddha.;)

I did a quick scan of your posts since joining and I would estimate 95% of them have been an expression of your political beliefs which are not widely shared by Buddhists or any other grouping of people other than a grouping of libertarians.

Are you genuinely surprised that you found your political views questioned on a forum? Surely this is not the first time you have encountered this phenomenon?
    edited September 2010
    Seriously? You're surprised to find an inherently selfish, materialistic philosophy unpopular on a forum dedicated to a belief system that teaches compassion, alleviation of suffering and non-attachment as some of its main tenants?

Funny, I find a philosophy dominated by the idea of coerced wealth redistribution to be the one to be consumed with materialism. Buddhism and Libertarianism are both anti-central authority philosophies. Neither rely on the state to "solve" anything.
  • edited September 2010
    Funny, I find a philosophy dominated by the idea of coerced wealth redistribution

The thing is many of us have no issue with our wealth being 'redistributed'. I fully support the public educational system and do not buy into the myth that they are 'failing' in a systematic way. Always room for improvement, but the existence of faults does not a systematic failure make.

I also have no issue with the various social services existing. Lot's of people get a lot of help from these services. Again, imperfections exist as does room for improvement, but that doesn't mean they should be scrapped with nothing meaningful replacing them.

So, it would appear that you view taxation as coerced wealth distribution, I view it as a necessity in order to live in a society that I derive massive benefit from. I don't wish to live in a society where lack of education is the norm nor do I wish to live in a society where people are purely left to fend for themselves.

In case you are wondering, I am not a low income person either. I am not Bill Gates, but I also, fortunately, have no issues paying bills. Even with all that coerced redistribution of my wealth :D
    edited September 2010
    Funny, I find a philosophy dominated by the idea of coerced wealth redistribution to be the one to be consumed with materialism. Buddhism and Libertarianism are both anti-central authority philosophies. Neither rely on the state to "solve" anything.

In what way is Buddhism an "anti-central authority" philosophy? Sounds like you're trying to ascribe your modern political thought into a belief system that's 2,500 years old.

Making sure that needs are met is not materialism. The "I, me, mine" of Libertarianism is.

And sorry, but taxes, or "wealth redistribution" as you like to put it, are the price you pay for living in society.
    edited September 2010

I have been talking about a per-student funding system. The student gets money instead of government schools, and the student/parent gets to choose the school competes for their business. They don't just go to to the government school that happens to be closest to them. I am actually tired of talking about it. I think I made my point but the photo in the news was just too good to pass up posting.

OMG! where did I bash libertarians?
    edited September 2010

Libertarian! Stop saying that word! Stand out from the crowd why not!?
    edited September 2010
    In what way is Buddhism an "anti-central authority" philosophy? Sounds like you're trying to ascribe your modern political thought into a belief system that's 2,500 years old.

Making sure that needs are met is not materialism. The "I, me, mine" of Libertarianism is.

And sorry, but taxes, or "wealth redistribution" as you like to put it, are the price you pay for living in society.

from Google:

The Buddha was an old man, past eighty years old, when he died. On the evening he died, knowing that he was dying, he preached for the last time, encouraging his monks to continue on steadfastly with their practice after he was gone. The Buddha’s words, translated into modern idiom, reassure “I was only able to point the way for you.” He also said, “Be a lamp unto yourself!” reminding them, and I think us as well, that we need to see the truth for ourselves for it to free us from confusion—and that we can!

“Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings - that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.”

Forcefully taking money from one individual to give to another should not the price for living in a society, especially a free one.
    edited September 2010
    from Google:

The Buddha was an old man, past eighty years old, when he died. On the evening he died, knowing that he was dying, he preached for the last time, encouraging his monks to continue on steadfastly with their practice after he was gone. The Buddha’s words, translated into modern idiom, reassure “I was only able to point the way for you.” He also said, “Be a lamp unto yourself!” reminding them, and I think us as well, that we need to see the truth for ourselves for it to free us from confusion—and that we can!

“Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings - that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.”

That's a pretty big stretch to fit your claim. It also completely disregards figures like the Dalai Lama, who was (before the Chinese invasion) the political leader (which is somewhat akin to a central authority) of Tibet as well as its spiritual leader.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Guys, you may have conflicting points of view and you will NEVER EVER agree on everything going on in politics. Why must so many people force their opinions on others? People need to think long and hard about the American political system and the labels you use when you discuss such things. I know this isn't right, but the common perception we get about Americans is the "I believe this, and therefore everyone else must" approach. I was surprised to get the same vibe from this thread.

No amount of anger or hatred you may have towards the opposite political party or the opposite of whatever category you've been put in will change anything. The best you can do is agree to disagree and work together towards find a common goal (other than disagreeing).
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    i've long ago given up this argument.

"brothers! brothers! we should be struggling TOGETHER!"
    "...we ARE!..."

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ce9NLZRrui4?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>
  • edited September 2010

has the topic changed to money and affordability?
  • edited September 2010
    Guys, you may have conflicting points of view and you will NEVER EVER agree on everything going on in politics. Why must so many people force their opinions on others? People need to think long and hard about the American political system and the labels you use when you discuss such things. I know this isn't right, but the common perception we get about Americans is the "I believe this, and therefore everyone else must" approach. I was surprised to get the same vibe from this thread.

No amount of anger or hatred you may have towards the opposite political party or the opposite of whatever category you've been put in will change anything. The best you can do is agree to disagree and work together towards find a common goal (other than disagreeing).

Politics?!?! :-/ I'm outa here.
    edited September 2010
    That's a pretty big stretch to fit your claim. It also completely disregards figures like the Dalai Lama, who was (before the Chinese invasion) the political leader (which is somewhat akin to a central authority) of Tibet as well as its spiritual leader.

Well, he's not anymore, so I guess the Buddha's advice was spot on.

Believing in central authority is a way of putting off responsibility for your own life - spirituality and politically. If you see the Buddha on the road, **** him up and kill him.

I'm not really into Tibetan Buddhism anyway. I think I look silly in those hats.
    edited September 2010
    Well, he's not anymore, so I guess the Buddha's advice was spot on.

Believing in central authority is a way of putting off responsibility for your own life - spirituality and politically. If you see the Buddha on the road, **** him up and kill him.

I see the point went entirely over your head. Buddhism itself is apolitical. It is neither for central authority nor against it. It is unconcerned ether way. Some Buddhists may favor a central authority, some may not, ether way it has nothing to do with Buddhism itself.
    I'm not really into Tibetan Buddhism anyway. I think I look silly in those hats.

The fact that you had to use Google in order to find a quote to try to shoehorn to support your own political philosophy makes me wonder if you're really into Buddhism period.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    i've long ago given up this argument.

"brothers! brothers! we should be struggling TOGETHER!"
    "...we ARE!..."

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ce9NLZRrui4?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

SPLITTERS!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    from Google:

Before you use this much abused quote from the Kalama Sutra to justify whatever you want to do, please read this. The Buddha never taught that anything goes. He did teach that he came to teach the end of suffering and that the way to end suffering was to practice the path that he taught. He never, ever taught "if it feels good, do it!"

Palzang
    edited September 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Before you use this much abused quote from the Kalama Sutra to justify whatever you want to do, please read this. The Buddha never taught that anything goes. He did teach that he came to teach the end of suffering and that the way to end suffering was to practice the path that he taught. He never, ever taught "if it feels good, do it!"

Palzang

I didn't say "anything goes". I am saying that there is no central authority in Buddhism, not even the Buddha from his own admission. That would make him a god. The Buddha was a dude who showed a way out of suffering, and it took him a good while to figure that out - all without an authorized teacher, while rejecting the power of the time. The only ultimate authority is truth and truth does not reside outside of yourself or this moment etc.
    edited September 2010
    I didn't say "anything goes". I am saying that there is no central authority in Buddhism, not even the Buddha from his own admission. That would make him a god. The Buddha was a dude who showed a way out of suffering, and it took him a good while to figure that out - all without an authorized teacher, while rejecting the power of the time. The only ultimate authority is truth and truth does not reside outside of yourself or this moment etc.

That is not what the Buddha was saying there. Not by a long shot. Seriously dude, read what Palzang linked to.
  • edited September 2010
    I didn't say "anything goes". I am saying that there is no central authority in Buddhism, not even the Buddha from his own admission.

Correct. As it pertains to the dharma and one's practice of it there is no authority higher than one's own experience.

As it pertains to political structures I don't think the Buddha had anything to say.
    edited September 2010
    Just leave political issues well alone or this thread'll be blocked in no time.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I am not against vouchers provided the private schools must accept whoever to apply to them.

Otherwise its just (subsidization of) segregation of rich kids with supportive families and the schools will reject the kids that make them look bad because of bad home lives and little interest from their parents.

I don't support segregation.
    edited September 2010
    Praize to the Jeffrey
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited September 2010
    This is why I avoid politics altogether. If I want to aid the community I do so regardless of people's personal views. the gap between the "left" and "right" is getting wider every week, eventually it's going to start drastically impacting the way the country runs more than it already does.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Just leave political issues well alone or this thread'll be blocked in no time.

It's been political for seven pages, why stop now :rolleyes:
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Zayl, well said. It also seems like the extreme ends are also getting militaristic about it and the middle is getting apathetic towards politics to the point of ignorant bliss. I am yet to meet a person who doesn't go labeling everything liberal or conservative, but still has some knowledge of what's going.
    edited October 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    This is why I avoid politics altogether. If I want to aid the community I do so regardless of people's personal views. the gap between the "left" and "right" is getting wider every week, eventually it's going to start drastically impacting the way the country runs more than it already does.

Smaller government, free people, less politics. That's kind of the point.
    edited October 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    It's been political for seven pages, why stop now :rolleyes:

Ssssshhhh!