Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Naomi Wolf thinks the Tea Partiers fight Fascism

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I used wonder "why have gay pride day?" (toronto has a huge gay pride day) Why have those labels? I dont need Hetro pride day
    Have hetero ever been discriminated agaisnt and had to fight for their rights?

I think the Gay pride day is a celebration of their achievements, also give hope to gays who live in more discriminating areas of the world.
    (And a reason to throw a ginormous party)

Canada is great for that, why discriminate, why hate, it's much nicer to live in a place where everyone is free to be whoever they want to be and everyone's happy :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I thought I said that Pat? But yes 100% agree.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I thought I said that Pat? But yes 100% agree.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you... just adding to it.

:)
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited June 2010
    But gay pride is still saying, "look, we're 'different'," it's just labeling themselves if attitudes like that continue homosexuals are seperated from heterosexuals still. People have to anounce that they're gay to family and friends. Do people have to anounce that they're hetero? No, and that really p****s me off, to think that if I turn out to be gay/bi, of which society will practically force me to label myself if I "am", then I'll have to "come out of the closet" to my family and friends when I get to a certain age and/or have a relationship and it angers me that that is necersary :rolleyes:

All the best
    NickiD
    edited June 2010
    This, btw, is called heterosexism and is, IMHO, the source of homophobia :-/

All the best
    NickiD
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    But gay pride is still saying, "look, we're 'different'," it's just labeling themselves if attitudes like that continue homosexuals are seperated from heterosexuals still. People have to anounce that they're gay to family and friends. Do people have to anounce that they're hetero? No, and that really p****s me off, to think that if I turn out to be gay/bi, of which society will practically force me to label myself if I "am", then I'll have to "come out of the closet" to my family and friends when I get to a certain age and/or have a relationship and it angers me that that is necersary :rolleyes:

All the best
    NickiD
    In a perfect world that would be the way things are. Until very recently in historical terms, homosexuality was listed as a mental illness. People had to hide their sexual orientation or risk having their lives destroyed. Now gay folk can say, "we are not only not ashamed, we are proud to be who we are" in some places gay couples are just regular families now. IMO "Gay" and "Straight" will become incidental distinctions with time, like long hair and short, but I'm idealistic when it comes to these things.

By the way, in terms of sexual orientation, give yourself all the time in the world to come to your natural center in the years to come, you dont need to "decide", especially now.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    People have to anounce that they're gay to family and friends.
    why do they "have" to announce anything?

I think they usually just talk about it when the conversation gets on this subject, just like heteros, otherwise the family and friends can find out by themselves.

I think you are inventing unnecessary complications.
    edited June 2010
    Some people feel compelled, Pat. As seen as I'm not quite 100% solid on my sexuality quite yet, I let me people think of me what they will, if they say something about my sexuality I neither agree nor disagree. I'm quite honest about stuff and drop quite a few hints to friends and family... Although you may have figured that by dropping hints but claiming I am "unsure" I'll just say "I have a clue." But, no rushing is needed :D

All the best
    NickiD
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I agree, ND. I wish there were no need for labels, that people could just be what they are and wouldn't have to apologize to anybody for it. Unfortunately humans have an innate fear of anybody and anything that is different from what they consider to be the norm. I don't see it changing any time soon. Kids should be given the space to find out who they are, not be packed into some box of their parents' choosing. The whole thing of labeling people screwed up my life royally (nothing to do with QE). I knew I wasn't like other kids, but I didn't know what that something else was or what to do with it. It sucks.

Palzang
    edited June 2010
    Yeah :-/ So when people are mean they could just be.... scared? Thank you, that'll help me build compassion :)

All the best
    NickiD
  • edited June 2010

All the best
    NickiD

I agree with you. I have always thought that line about "the personal is political" or "everything is a political act" is nonsense. (Orwell touched on it in his memoirs on Spain if I remember correctly)

You don't need to come out as anything. I'd really prefer people keep their personal lives just that...personal/private...and not in the public domain. Maybe it's me, but I find it to be a bit...I don't know...self-absorbed? Why should I care or need to know what a person finds sexually attractive? Say I was a public figure such as a baseball player and I had a fetish for moccasins (and I don't :lol:), wouldn't you all find it absurd for me to make a public statement and "come out of the closet" about it? It sure would be bizarre, even if there was some social taboo against such a trait. I think public statements on sexuality are equally ridiculous.

I never give peoples' sexuality a second thought. I get asked pretty frequently what I think of 'Don't Ask. Don't Tell.' I always quote Barry Goldwater and say it's better to "shoot straight than be straight."

But really, I frankly don't understand the preoccupation with other peoples' sexuality. Unless it is a person you are actively courting or in a relationship with, there is no good reason to be concerned with what they find attractive.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The point of coming out is self-affirmation. After years of repression, you are saying, "I'm not going to take it anymore!" Coming out is liberation for a gay person who has spent most of their life up until that point hiding and pretending to be something he or she wasn't. It is easy to sit comfortably in your alleged straightness and shake your head at those poor idiots who need to flaunt their sexuality. That is simply arrogance on your part. You don't even begin to understand the importance of coming out. Yes, in a perfect world there would be no need because people would accept other people just as they are. Would that we lived in such a world, but we don't. Discrimination is the name of the game, whether you're gay, black, Jewish, Muslim, liberal, conservative, whatever. Wherever people can find some way of feeling superior to others, they will exploit it. Coming out is a way of saying you're not going to be exploited anymore.

Palzang
    edited June 2010
    Indeed, some people need to come out to themselves. If someone asks, quite rudely, your sexuality I've decided should probably just say that unless that person wishes to have a relationship with you just tell them that it isn't any of their business and it wouldn't matter either way.

All the best
    NickiD
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited June 2010
    For those who think I need to "get with the program" you are sadly blind. BP is a foreign company. Pres. Obama has a lot more authority than Pres Bush ever had in New Orleans. I've said it before, I'll say it again. the real fault for hte Katrina debacle lies with the Governor of Lousiana at the time of Katrina. For those of you who reside outside the US, or even inside, and still don't understand this, FOR THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES TO ORDER ANY MILITARY ACTIVITY INSIDE ONE OF THE FIFTY STATES IS AN ACT OF WAR. I AS A SOLDIER AM UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ACT ON SUCH AN ORDER SHOULD IT COME DOWN TO ME. Do I make myself clear???
  • edited July 2010
    See the false as false,
    The true as true.
    Look into your heart.
    Follow your nature.
    The Buddha
    edited July 2010
    Quite true lamaramadingdong :D

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, and I don't like... Politicians
    MilDogPoliticians.jpg

I don't like politicians or politics. :-/
    edited July 2010
    As it happens I like extremely few famous people...or maybe that's because I don't like hardly anybody and I don't like them 'cos I know them. I think that's more likely LOL :D

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hey, you know me! Well, sort of.

Palzang
    edited July 2010
    I like you Palzang! What would make u think otherwise? :eek:

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited July 2010
    As it happens I like extremely few famous people...or maybe that's because I don't like hardly anybody and I don't like them 'cos I know them. I think that's more likely LOL :D

Nickidoodle Jellybean

um. why?
    edited July 2010
    name a famous person

ND JB
  • edited July 2010
    ok. the US president Obama.
    edited July 2010
    don't like him :p
    edited July 2010
    Actually I don't know... I suppose I agree with him on quite a few things...

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited July 2010
    ok. you might have a favorite actor at least.
    edited July 2010
    Maybe...Eddie Murphy's OK
  • edited August 2010
    oh. ok. at least you like someone.
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't say like :p
  • edited August 2010
    ok. not like. just OK.
    edited August 2010
    LOL
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    How does this tie into tea partiers fight fascism again ? ( Not that im sure anyone has a definition for what it means ) :)
    edited August 2010
    It's called evolution Caz :rolleyes:

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Nothing to do with tea baggers probably, but I just wanted to mention that a Federal judge in California yesterday ruled that Proposition 8 (the one banning gay marriage in California) is unconstitutional. Of course, it will be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, which is basically ultra-right nowadays, so it may not last, but it is still good news, and bad news for the hate mongers.

Palzang
  • Buddha_RocketBuddha_Rocket Explorer
    edited August 2010
    Judge Walker was first appointed to the federal bench by President Ronald Reagan in 1987, at the recommendation of Attorney General Edwin Meese III (now the Ronald Reagan Distinguished Fellow in Public Policy and Chairman of the Center for Legal and Judicial Studies at the Heritage Foundation). Democratic opposition led by Sen. Alan Cranston (D-CA) prevented the nomination from coming to a vote during Reagan’s term. Walker was renominated by President George H. W. Bush in February 1989. Again the Democratic Senate refused to act on the nomination. Finally Bush renominated Walker in August, and the Senate confirmed him in December.

In other words, this “liberal San Francisco judge” was recommended by Ed Meese, appointed by Ronald Reagan, and opposed by Alan Cranston, Nancy Pelosi, Edward Kennedy, and the leading gay activist groups. It’s a good thing for advocates of marriage equality that those forces were only able to block Walker twice.

haha.
    edited August 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Nothing to do with tea baggers probably, but I just wanted to mention that a Federal judge in California yesterday ruled that Proposition 8 (the one banning gay marriage in California) is unconstitutional. Of course, it will be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, which is basically ultra-right nowadays, so it may not last, but it is still good news, and bad news for the hate mongers.

Palzang
    Gays%20Denigrating%20Christianity.JPG?et=2Hf9O6WBtHBJTbvMJwuEXQ&nmid=0
  • edited August 2010
    ^ nice cartoon.
    edited August 2010
    It's funny when you imagine her holding the sign with "in" instead of "sin". :p

King regards
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Yup. Homosexuality is sin. LOL :)
    edited August 2010
    No, it's in! :p
    edited August 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHJoMSm60aZH9RFvSm2h2FA3R4q0lmhTH3JSFURRO9SpSxPo0&t=1&usg=__LIzptS3wrfJ6ibJWHmZHYb4ORw0=
    edited August 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSj9HEDKbUwEsN32Ut1zDRkyZk3krzHPyXJ-pO8eNthhDdiEGc&t=1&usg=__GFnVankJPJ0velh4HbZIG2nw5ek=
    edited August 2010
    LOL
  • edited August 2010
    No, it's in! :p

that S should have been in other color.. my mistake. :tonguec:
  • edited August 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSj9HEDKbUwEsN32Ut1zDRkyZk3krzHPyXJ-pO8eNthhDdiEGc&t=1&usg=__GFnVankJPJ0velh4HbZIG2nw5ek=

nice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    If you really want an idea of how crazy the anti-gay movement is in the US, go to the blog Joe.My.God. He has lots of videos of the crazies going off. It's actually kind of scary, except that they are obviously so insane that it is doubtful if they could attract many followers. The current NOM (National Organization for Marriage) bus tour is a good example. They are touring the country trying to spread their hate, but in every city they go to the number of people who show up to hear their poison is tiny compared to the number of protestors who want them to pack up and get the hell out of town.

Palzang
    edited August 2010
    If you really want an idea of how crazy the anti-gay movement is in the US, go to the blog Joe.My.God. He has lots of videos of the crazies going off. It's actually kind of scary, except that they are obviously so insane that it is doubtful if they could attract many followers. The current NOM (National Organization for Marriage) bus tour is a good example. They are touring the country trying to spread their hate, but in every city they go to the number of people who show up to hear their poison is tiny compared to the number of protestors who want them to pack up and get the hell out of town.

Palzang

LOL, I'll check out Joe.My.God. :)

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited August 2010
    patomin wrote: »
    America's problem is division, partisanship and selfishness. That is how fascism works. Whip up the people against each other, then steal their rights when they aren't looking.

If there were more Buddhists in the USA maybe we wouldn't be so jacked up! :)
    Oh the irony!
    edited August 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    Yup. Homosexuality is sin. LOL :)

I like this one:

'I don't mind you being heterosexual, just don't flaunt it' :D

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010

Palzang

some of them felt funny. and these guys are pretty active.