Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you kill a fly?

footiamfootiam Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
One of the Buddhist precepts is not to kill and that makes many people ask what is sometimes termed the mosquito question: Is it all right to kill a mosquito. In the same line, would you kill a fly?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Use the search facility, plenty of posts and threads on "killing" sentient beings.
    Example: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/382/killing-mosquitoes/p1
  • Definitely not. In fact, I rescue them when they get caught in water bowls, glasses, puddles, etc.
  • Definitely...if it interrupted my Metta meditation. ;-D

(Don't worry,I'm kidding)

Tom x
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes, I have, I do and will continue to do so.
    They spread disease, eat by vomiting on food then sucking it up and are basically pestilential.
    I realise this may horrify many, but I do not consider either mosquitoes or flies to be sentient.
    Therefore, I have no qualms in dispatching something the instinct of which is to live as it does, but which carries disease and is frankly, purely harmful in its actions.
  • I am a master at killing bugs and insects. Can people tell me if this is going to affect my karma?
  • edited December 2010
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/wheel282.html#prec2

"The taking of life is the volition of killing expressed through the doors of either body or speech, occasioning action which results in the cutting off of the life faculty in a living being, when there is a living being present and (the perpetrator of the act) perceives it as a living being."

I think the last part there is an oddly convenient loophole. The vinaya apparently categorizes insects as sentient beings, but the commentators assign no blame to a person that perceives bugs otherwise. This is much different than our notion of ignorance being no excuse for breaking the law. Here, the ignorance (willful or not) of the sentience of another being is a determining factor re: the karma developed.

Ignorance is bliss, no?

(That ignorance can be used as an excuse from the results of karma seems absurd in any Buddhist system. Ignorance or the mis-perception of Reality, we are told, is (along with desire) a primary cause for our existing in samsara. That ignorance would then be used to argue that a being not be responsible for an act that resulted in a death seems to go against the core of the teaching re: the causes of samsaric existence. Or maybe it just goes against my Western notions of justice, which I understand karma is not.)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I heard that karma works this way.

If you kill a man out of spite, you have bad karma.
    If you kill a man to save another, karma does not change.
    If you kill a man to save several people, you get good karma.

So, if you kill a fly, who has a small life span to begin with and doesn't have a full-fledged nervous-system to feel pain in the first place, does that mean you get bad karma? I don't think so, since it could potentially get someone sick which could lead to worse things.
  • edited December 2010
    The word sentient has two meanings in English:

1.) Having a conscious or awareness of your actions.
    2.) The ability to feel pain.

I believe insects don't qualify under the first definition however, I think they do fit the second. Edit - I googled and I don't think they do feel pain. I was confusing their instinct for survival (struggle to get away) as feeling pain. Who knows what they really feel?

The question I have is what was the original word used that was translated to sentient and does it have a more established definition? Edit - I'm still curious but I guess it is a moot point since now I don't think they qualify under either definition.

I myself kill bugs like flies and mosquitoes that do carry disease and bite me. If a horse fly bites me you can bet he is going to die. Other bugs like spiders and things that don't fly I tend to throw outside. It isn't that I don't want to harm the bug it is that I just try to not interfere with nature as much as possible. Insects serve a vital role in the world and spiders eat flies and mosquitoes. :D

Oh and Upalabhava I don't think the loophole was left as a convenient out for people. I think they mean intention as in someone who doesn't know better.
  • Wuji,

I am referring to the part that conditionalizes it thus: "(the perpetrator of the act) perceives it as a living being."

This seems to allow for the murder of anything as long as that thing is not thought of as a sentient being. The vinaya seems to explicitly refer to bugs as sentient beings and warns against the intentional killing of them, but then the commentator throws in the bit about the "view" of the perpetrator, as if it would absolve them of the karmic results of murder.

If I have such a view as to think that all people are actually robots, and I kill one. Then this seems to be saying that I would not reap the karmic result of the act of murdering some being, because I did not view them as a being. Thus, yes, I did not intend to kill a *being*. (Yet I did!)

(I took it to an extreme, here. And perhaps this undermines my argument a bit...but it seems like an insanity clause. E.g. if a killer of bugs holds the erroneous notion [erroneous to both consensus and/or Reality as explained by, e.g., the vinaya] that bugs are not living, sentient beings then that killer of bugs will not reap the results of murdering a being. This of course can be applied to the killing of anything. Perhaps a culture does not recognize that babies under 3 years old are persons; then it becomes possible for a thusly deluded being to kill them with no repercussions other than those that result from the general ignorance of the Reality of beings.)
  • I let them fly around the house until they get slower and slower. Sometime I open a window and hope they can sense the fresh air. I don't notice them as much when they are really slow so I often forget to catch them and let them out. But biting flies in august I wave them away. Sometimes I am angry and hit.
  • edited December 2010
    Well first thanks for pointing to the Vinyana. It led me to find this:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Insects_and_pest_control

In that it says that, "In the Vinaya the Buddha is depicted as saying, "A monk should not intentionally deprive a living creature of life, even if it be only an ant" (Vinaya I.97)." Since killing is the first precept I think this applies to anyone following the first five and not just monks.

More from the article, "The Buddha said that there is no “crime” when there is no intent. A vegetarian builder does not intend to kill insects just as the person walking down the street does not purposely step on the ant."

So instinctively slapping a bug attacking doesn't count as intent. I also think the commentator meant if the person killing doesn't view a fly as living and kills it there is no bad karma. If Buddha said all creatures are living even an ant well now you know that it is wrong. There is no loophole because you either know or you don't. You can pretend to not know but, at the end of the day you answer to yourself so, I don't see any point. In other words I disagree you can avoid Karma by claiming not to believe. You either do or you don't know it is wrong.

Also, "The Vinaya makes one such distinction, considering murder an offense so serious as to require permanent expulsion from the Sangha (Parajika 3), while killing an animal is a far less serious offence (Pacittiya 62), on a par with insulting someone, idle chatter and having a non-regulation size sitting mat."

If the Vinaya is true to Buddha's word then I'm left to believe we shouldn't intentionally kill insects which I've instinctively always thought. However, I'm glad to know it is such a minor offense and not considered the same as killing a mammal.
  • Isn't there something in the Bhikku vows about being careful with water in which living beings might reside? I'm just too lazy to look it up at the moment....:)
  • Why are we dealing with this question, when we just had a mosquito thread recently? What's the difference--flies or mosquitos?
  • some people are allergic to mosquito, but flies just crawl over food left out.
  • doesn't have a full-fledged nervous-system to feel pain in the first place
    Who told you that? They were wrong.
    doesn't have a full-fledged nervous-system to feel pain in the first place
    Well, from searching around I've gotten a few answers. They pertain to be:

A) From seemingly uneducated people who say absolutely yes and that they have feelings too.

B) People who claim that they cannot feel actual pain, its just a function of a different form of nervous-system:

No, they do not feel pain like humans or animals. The central nervous system of insects is only for "control and function" they have no sensation of pain per-say.

&

On the other hand, the insects are non-vertebra and they do not have central nervous system. Thus if an ant's leg is crushed, only the leg will feel local pain. Moreover, their pain magnitude is short, since they produce large number of off springs and their life is short. They can also reproduce their lost organs.

C) People who say they don't feel anything at all:

"The answer is almost certainly no.

Insects, arachnids, and other less developed forms of life lack conciousness and so feel no pain, nor do they have emotions or concious thought.

(Slightly more developed animals like fish or small mammals have limited fellings and conciousness, no not in the same way we do, well most of us anyway!)"
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I think there are so many unsubstantiated assumptions in what you wrote that it makes my head swim. Pain is only party experienced by vertebrate animals within the central nervous system. Most pain perception takes place in the brain (hence phantom pain when you remove a limb). Since we cannot interview spiders and flies about what they feel, humans tend to make assumptions based on VERY limited knowledge.

I'm not willing to go on the assumption that just because an animal lacks a backbone that it cannot and does not experience pain exactly the same way I do. It's just not scientifically sound to do so.

PS: Spiders, flies, and earthworms *are* animals. And most Buddhists would disagree with you that they do not have consciousness. This is why we are admonished not to harm any sentient being. There is no way to prove an earthworm does not have sentience (there have been threads upon threads about this, I'm not trying to start one).
  • I don't know how to put this the previous passage or response in quotes so unfortunately I can't give a running comment. My lama tells me that the boundaries between beings have no dimensions.

Zen story of Chuang Tzu: http://users.rider.edu/~suler/zenstory/fish.html

A) From seemingly uneducated people who say absolutely yes and that they have feelings too.

B) People who claim that they cannot feel actual pain, its just a function of a different form of nervous-system:

No, they do not feel pain like humans or animals. The central nervous system of insects is only for "control and function" they have no sensation of pain per-say.

&

On the other hand, the insects are non-vertebra and they do not have central nervous system. Thus if an ant's leg is crushed, only the leg will feel local pain. Moreover, their pain magnitude is short, since they produce large number of off springs and their life is short. They can also reproduce their lost organs.

Insects, arachnids, and other less developed forms of life lack conciousness and so feel no pain, nor do they have emotions or concious thought.

(Slightly more developed animals like fish or small mammals have limited fellings and conciousness, no not in the same way we do, well most of us anyway!)"

&

• More from the article, "The Buddha said that there is no “crime” when there is no intent. A vegetarian builder does not intend to kill insects just as the person walking down the street does not purposely step on the ant."
    Did the Buddha seriously say this? Ignorance is one of the 3 poisons, afterall. If that were true, we should all just work on brainwashing ourselves into thinking that everything we do is absolutely divine. Then we'd get the best karma of all and surely be reborn into a God realm!

I don't think it works this way. I think karma exists to show us what we do. I was walking down the street one time feeling anxious, physically crappy and in a bad mood, and some memory came to me of a time when I caused someone else to feel that way. And I thought, "Karma is so beautiful. It means that each of us will know everything we've ever done, in the deepest sense." If you go around killing insects, well maybe that's just a small bit of bad karma, but maybe someday, due to your karma, you will feel what those insects felt. And then you won't ever kill an insect again. Karma is there to help us wake up, to keep us on the path one way or another. I heard in a Dhamma talk once, that the only way to erase bad karma is to feel genuine remorse for what you've done. I totally buy this, because it means we don't need our lesson after all, we've already learned it. And this moment is the perfect teacher. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but that's okay. It's just what makes sense to me right now.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, it depends on the circumstances, but in a vast majority of cases no, I wouldn't hurt a fly. :)
    @Mountains

I assumed nothing, other than "From seemingly uneducated people." The rest of the quotes were from other people on teh interwebz.
  • One of the Buddhist precepts is not to kill and that makes many people ask what is sometimes termed the mosquito question: Is it all right to kill a mosquito. In the same line, would you kill a fly?
    Yes.
  • So ignorance is necessarily removed via education? Thats why they say the fly is born in the animal realm. It cannot practice the dharma. It has form, ?, perception, karma, and ??
  • I am sure there is some real research, I'll look it up and get back to you.
  • The insects seem to have the necessary peptides and receptors, but they seem to be completely oblivious to pain. Insect will continue to feed while being eaten alive. They don't limp to save an injured body part... they pretty much go about their business as if the pain isn't even there. The researchers note that we can't expect insects to act like humans (scream, change behaviour, change blood pressure and so on), so that doesn't prove that insects don't feel pain.

So, after extensive research we can definitively conclude that we have absolutely no idea. I hope that clears everything up for everyone.

In all seriousness, the papers seem to conclude that some insects have a higher probability of being able to feel pain, but we don't have a way of knowing for sure.
  • I think there is a common karmic tendancy of how to conceptualize pain. I guess I am convinced that a fly is not sentient. But it is still interconnected and I think you can cultivate bodhicitta by visualizing a fly as a buddha. Or whatever works for you. I eventually forgave the guy who took my girl and I wish him well. Buddha said to cultivate dana (sic) to give him all of your possessions real and imagined. At the same time I think it takes a lot of nerve to offer a fly to the buddha.

We have collective karma and share some of the same dream. Like Chuang tzu dreamed he was a butterful dreaming he was Chuang tzu
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

More from the article, "The Buddha said that there is no “crime” when there is no intent. A vegetarian builder does not intend to kill insects just as the person walking down the street does not purposely step on the ant."
    Did the Buddha seriously say this? Ignorance is one of the 3 poisons, afterall. If that were true, we should all just work on brainwashing ourselves into thinking that everything we do is absolutely divine. Then we'd get the best karma of all and surely be reborn into a God realm!
    Yes, but you have to understand that this is a legalistic statement said within the context of the Vinaya, the 227 monastic rules of conduct and the penalties incurred when transgressed. A breach of the precept against killing is said to occur when one intends to, puts forth effort to, and actually does, kill a sentient being.

In Pali, the word kamma itself means 'action,' and in AN 6.63, the Buddha in defines it as, "Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, and intellect." So the kamma of killing requires the intention to deprive something of life as well as the actual taking of life based on one's actions of body and speech.

If a monk unintentionally kills an insect by stepping on it by accident, or if they step on it thinking that it was already dead or something other than a bug (e.g., a pebble), there's no penalty since there was no intent to kill. And really, what would be the point of penalizing a monastic for an accident?

If you're interested in learning more about the Vinaya, I suggest checking out Buddhist Monastic Code by Thanissaro Bhikkhu and The Bhikkhus' Rules: A Guide for Laypeople by Bhikkhu Ariyesako.
  • Use the search facility, plenty of posts and threads on "killing" sentient beings.
    Example: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/382/killing-mosquitoes/p1
    Thanks for the link. Have seen it and realize that this is a very popular and evergreen question. Lots of different and enlightening answers. Thanks again!

• Definitely not. In fact, I rescue them when they get caught in water bowls, glasses, puddles, etc.
    I wish I am half as kind! Most time, I would ignore them, that is if the insects are in the water!
  • Definitely...if it interrupted my Metta meditation. ;-D

Tom x
    Definitely not. In fact, I rescue them when they get caught in water bowls, glasses, puddles, etc.
    Definitely...if it interrupted my Metta meditation. ;-D

Tom x
    I sometimes swat a fly and am very mindful of that. No kidding! (Sorry!)
  • Yes, I have, I do and will continue to do so.
    They spread disease, eat by vomiting on food then sucking it up and are basically pestilential.
    I realise this may horrify many, but I do not consider either mosquitoes or flies to be sentient.
    Therefore, I have no qualms in dispatching something the instinct of which is to live as it does, but which carries disease and is frankly, purely harmful in its actions.
    I share something in common with you here, just that I don't know what makes a a sentient being. Why is a man a sentient being and not a mosquitoe or a fly?

• I am a master at killing bugs and insects. Can people tell me if this is going to affect my karma?
    I don't know how it affect a person's karma but I do think that's not as bad as killing a human being - that's murder in the first degree!
  • I like loop holes. Pleading ignorance is just like pleading insanity for murdering. In any case, I would like to thnk that ignorance is not a good excuse. I remember a Chinese monk said that life is fair because of Karma. I don't remember how he explained that but if you have watched The Postman rings twice, maybe, you'd think that Karma acts in strange way.

• I heard that karma works this way.

If you kill a man out of spite, you have bad karma.
    If you kill a man to save another, karma does not change.
    If you kill a man to save several people, you get good karma.

So, if you kill a fly, who has a small life span to begin with and doesn't have a full-fledged nervous-system to feel pain in the first place, does that mean you get bad karma? I don't think so, since it could potentially get someone sick which could lead to worse things.
    Now, I do think Karma works in strange way!

• The word sentient has two meanings in English:

1.) Having a conscious or awareness of your actions.
    2.) The ability to feel pain.

Thanks! Now, I understand a little about what sentient mean. Maybe, then a mosquito or a fly is sentient to a very small degree, being not so aware for having a very small brain; that is if it has one, and not feeling as painful as man for not having our elaborate nervous system. thanks again!

• Wuji,

I am referring to the part that conditionalizes it thus: "(the perpetrator of the act) perceives it as a living being."

This seems to allow for the murder of anything as long as that thing is not thought of as a sentient being. The vinaya seems to explicitly refer to bugs as sentient beings and warns against the intentional killing of them, but then the commentator throws in the bit about the "view" of the perpetrator, as if it would absolve them of the karmic results of murder.
    I suppose the commentator are just humans. They could be wrong and that's why holy books cannot be taken at face value. Thanks for the enlightenment.

• I let them fly around the house until they get slower and slower. Sometime I open a window and hope they can sense the fresh air. I don't notice them as much when they are really slow so I often forget to catch them and let them out. But biting flies in august I wave them away. Sometimes I am angry and hit.
    I am like that some of the time!

• "A monk should not intentionally deprive a living creature of life, even if it be only an ant"
    So instinctively slapping a bug attacking doesn't count as intent.
    . In other words I disagree you can avoid Karma by claiming not to believe. You either do or you don't know it is wrong.

Also, "The Vinaya makes one such distinction, considering murder an offense so serious as to require permanent expulsion from the Sangha (Parajika 3), while killing an animal is a far less serious offence (Pacittiya 62), on a par with insulting someone, idle chatter and having a non-regulation size sitting mat."

In that case, if one see a fly or a mosquito and start to swat it so as to put a stop to the irritation, that should be an intention there, which means there is a breaking of the precept.

Claiming not to believe, I would like to thinki, is believing.

I suppose too there are different degree of killing just like there are different degree of murder.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I am not big on flies, they are out of my mind. Maggots no. Either way if they are in my household it usually is a signal to take care of something. As a lark I can tolerate a fly. It gives the pets some fun. So consciousness is a machine of different brains. And we get insight into how to deal with various organisms. Whether we can deal with them one way or another. I would have to agree. I wonder why there are no fly gods from ancient cultures. There are some hell beings in dungeons and dragons where some things are mention. And of course the mooV LOF
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Isn't there something in the Bhikku vows about being careful with water in which living beings might reside? I'm just too lazy to look it up at the moment....:)
    This is new to me. thanks!

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited December 2010
    "A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree; the more you beat them, the better they be!"
    -- Old English Adage

I don't even know if other humans experience pain, or simply pretend to be in pain when I beat them. I assume they don't and that I am simply projecting my own personal psychology onto other beings. The reality is, you are the only person whose experience you can be positively sure of. As such, technically, you don't have any responsibility toward other beings, besides the contrived legal fallout that human beings have concocted. ;)

See: Solypsism
  • Why are we dealing with this question, when we just had a mosquito thread recently? What's the difference--flies or mosquitos?
    This is more for ignorant people like me.

• some people are allergic to mosquito, but flies just crawl over food left out.
    Some people hate mosquitoes because they suck blood whereas some people like the fly so much because they inspired people to make sci-fi movie.

Many people here and there are wrong somewhere. We only have to believe to make them right.

blockquote>

I think it would do good to be reborn as mosquitoes!

• I think there are so many unsubstantiated assumptions in what you wrote that it makes my head swim.
    I suppose the question is to kill or not to kill.

• My lama tells me that the boundaries between beings have no dimensions.

That's interesting - what your lama say about the boundaries between beings having no dimensions. Don't understand what that means though.

Anyway, maybe the question now if mosquitoes and flies do not feel pain, should be kill them then. Should we like modern people just electrocute murderers since that is less painful than actually stabbing them with a knife?

• Did the Buddha seriously say this? Ignorance is one of the 3 poisons, afterall. If that were true, we should all just work on brainwashing ourselves into thinking that everything we do is absolutely divine. Then we'd get the best karma of all and surely be reborn into a God realm!

I heard in a Dhamma talk once, that the only way to erase bad karma is to feel genuine remorse for what you've done. I totally buy this, because it means we don't need our lesson after all, we've already learned it. And this moment is the perfect teacher. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but that's okay. It's just what makes sense to me right now.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, it depends on the circumstances, but in a vast majority of cases no, I wouldn't hurt a fly. :)
    I seriously do not think brainwashing is not the answer. that's more like the hallucination. If something is there and you are brainwashed to think it is not there, that something is still even though you think it is not.
    And I do like to think that the moment is the teacher. And at each moment, the teacher teaches differently. So, I would like to think too everything depends on circumstances like yousay. Thanks and I would not like to hurt a fly too.
  • @Mountains

I assumed nothing, other than "From seemingly uneducated people." The rest of the quotes were from other people on teh interwebz.
    There is a Buddha in everyone.
  • One of the Buddhist precepts is not to kill and that makes many people ask what is sometimes termed the mosquito question: Is it all right to kill a mosquito. In the same line, would you kill a fly?
    Yes.
    For no reason?

• So ignorance is necessarily removed via education? Thats why they say the fly is born in the animal realm. It cannot practice the dharma. It has form, ?, perception, karma, and ??
    Educating children to use the gun may not remove ignorance.