Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are you Listening to right now!!!

edited December 2010 in General Banter
I common thread I see in some of the forums I lurk in and I decided to bring it here. Post up what your listening to right now. Who knows you may find some new music to listen to.

Redemption City by Corrosion of Conformity

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I'm at work at the moment, so I'm not listening to music now, but I have been listening to a ton of Tom Waits lately, particularly the album Small Change. I can't even count the number of times I've listened to 'Tom Traubert's blues' in the last few weeks. If there's anyone out there who isn't familiar with Tom Waits, check 'em out. He's numero uno.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    i adore bjork. she apparently wrote this song as her own private "free tibet" protest.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/igOWR_-BXJU?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>
    MorningView
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    Have you heard the music she's made with the Dirty Projectors? http://www.mountwittenbergorca.com/

Edit: Oh and Never Stop by Echo and the Bunnymen
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Nirvana

the sound track to tony hawks pro skater 2

lots of drum and bass/jungle
    blu3reefreja
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    I love shuffle

Roller Coaster 13th Floor Elevators
    Soma Smashing Pumpkins
    Take 'Em All Cock Sparrer
    Charity Hilarity Flux Of Pink Indians
    Ohayô Pizzicato Five
    Travel By Thought The Church
    same as 5 Nausea
    Fire Inspiral Carpets
    Rudie Got Soul Desmond Dekker & The Specials
    Shimmer The Jesus & Mary Chain
    She's lost control Joy Division
    Nature Trail To Hell Weird Al
    freja
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    sandy wrote: »
    Have you heard the music she's made with the Dirty Projectors? http://www.mountwittenbergorca.com/

no i hadn't, do you own the cd?

i was extremely confused by that website, haha. but it appears to me... you can download the cd for a donation level, hm? wondering if it's any good. i ended up looking up the dirty projectors on amazon, not bad! i'm curious about what might come out of this hybrid.

at any rate, thanks for the link!
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    It is downloadable by donation. I love it, it's very interesting. It's vocal samples triggered by midi trigger. I'll look around to see if I can find a place that you can hear samples on.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Azure Ray's album Hold On Love, the song on right now is "Look To Me."
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Trying a new band I downloaded, called "Sparklehorse". Song is "Spirit Ditch" right now.

So far I like them. Very laid back and almost relaxing music. Nice.

Anyone here use Last.fm?

EDIT: this song that's playing now ("Tears On Fresh Fruit"), is much more upbeat. Just when I was easing back into my chair, letting loose. haha.
  • edited August 2010
    I use Last.fm and that is a great site.
    edited August 2010
    I use Last.fm and that is a great site.

I made a post a long time ago about Last.fm. My screen name on there is: "eqblues". If you or anyone else wants another Last.fm friend, add me!

EDIT: here's a link for those of you who are lazy: http://www.last.fm/user/eqblues
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    I use last.fm as well. just added you, lightwithin.

I have the Jesus and Mary Chain's Stoned and Dethroned album on repeat.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    What are you Listening to right now

The voices in my head :)
    edited August 2010
    New band for me again. This time it's "Black Stone Cherry" - "Hell & High Water". Liking them a lot.
    Interest112
    edited August 2010
    what is this last.fm site? i use playlist.com to listen to music online. i've found a lot of great music by listening to others' playlists also. is it similar?

atm, i'm just listening to some montages of detroit techno artists like derrick may, jeff mills, carl craig, underground resistance, etc... detroit has such a bad rep, but most people don't know it was actually the birthplace of techno. thus the reason the dutch dj fedde le gran's most famous track was called, "put your hands up 4 detroit"

i love my city. there is still a great underground techno scene.
    DharmaMcBum
    edited August 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    what is this last.fm site? i use playlist.com to listen to music online. i've found a lot of great music by listening to others' playlists also. is it similar?

Last.fm is a site where the music you listen to on your computer/ipod/some sites (like spotify), gets "scrobbled" or "registered" into your musical profile.

This builds up your charts, with your top played artists and songs. You can add friends based on your musical taste or any other criteria. And you can explore other people's charts in hopes of finding bands you might like.

Last.fm recommends music to you based on your taste and you have a "compatibility meter" with other users, showing how similar your taste is. Last.fm has short bio's and info for each artists and pictures of them too.

People who live in the U.S., England or Germany, get to play Last.fm radio for free. You can tune into your own music library's radio (which will obviously play music you have on your profile), you can type in an artist and the radio will play similar artists or genres, and many other options. It's cool and it helps you discover new music easily.

Visit my profile if you wanna see an example of what you would get if you joined the site. It's a great way of finding new music and meeting nice people with similar taste.
    edited August 2010
    Last.fm is a site where the music you listen to on your computer/ipod/some sites (like spotify), gets "scrobbled" or "registered" into your musical profile.

This builds up your charts, with your top played artists and songs. You can add friends based on your musical taste or any other criteria. And you can explore other people's charts in hopes of finding bands you might like.

Last.fm recommends music to you based on your taste and you have a "compatibility meter" with other users, showing how similar your taste is. Last.fm has short bio's and info for each artists and pictures of them too.

hm. interesting. i'm not sure if i'd like that or not... for example, if you look at my playlist.com playlists... i have playlists for housework, painting, more upbeat ones for when i have people over... but i also have a playlist of all of my favorite disney songs :lol:
    edited August 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    hm. interesting. i'm not sure if i'd like that or not... for example, if you look at my playlist.com playlists... i have playlists for housework, painting, more upbeat ones for when i have people over... but i also have a playlist of all of my favorite disney songs :lol:

Yeah, I can understand how some people wouldn't necessarily want to share certain music and artists they like with the world. With Last.fm, you can choose what "scrobbles" (gets registered) on your profile. You can turn off the client when you're listening to "questionable" music, leaving only the cream of the crop tunes to go on your charts.

That's what a lot of music snobs do on Last.fm actually. They turn off scrobbling when they listen to bands they're embarrassed about, and then pretend they only listen to the "greatest" music ever.

I scrobble everything I play, no matter what it is, so you can find everything on my charts, from the hardest Melodic Death Metal, to freakin JEWEL. I like a bit of everything.
    edited August 2010
    I just added you Santiago, and I love that we have Jewel in common haha! Also, props on having some John Butler Trio.

My sn is the same over at last.fm as here, treeluvr87, so anyone feel free to add me! I just started scrobbling recently but I'm slowly building everything up!
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for adding me Lisa! Just added you back and I see we do have some bands in common. Cool. :-)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I actually have the tv playing in the background, but the last thing I listened to was Tara Brach's Stress, Release and Freedom podcast from her series.

In metta,
    Raven
    edited August 2010
    Now playing: Memphis Slim - "Messin' Around (Live)" (It's blues piano. Really cool).
  • edited August 2010
    last thin i listened to was pantera
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    At the moment:

Ulver - Silence Teaches You How to Sing
    edited August 2010
    Now playing: Joss Stone - "Music (Ft. Lauryn Hill)". JS' voice is amazing and she's beautiful to boot. I love her.
  • edited August 2010
    Am I Demon by Danzig dammit this is an awesome song
    edited August 2010
    Am I Demon by Danzig dammit this is an awesome song

I have two Danzig albums (Lucifuge, and IV) that I got from my cousin, and I like their sound, but whenever I've tried to get more from them, I've always been put off by the excessive satanic references in their song names and album names.

I'm fine with some bands being Satan "oriented", but when it's too blatant, I get too "scared" hahaha. Call me a wuss if you'd like. It's just the Catholic upbringing I had, claiming it's partial ownership of my fears.
  • edited August 2010
    The song is from thier 1st album the only one I like. Hey if you like Danzig you should check out the Misfits w/ Glenn Danzig singing awesome band. Song by Misfits I reccommend are Last Caress, London Dungeon, Skulls, etc. . . It is considered Horror Punk great music
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited August 2010
    A replay from the Chelsea-Wigan match from yesterday. Not by choice. Hard to color correct photos with soccer on as I would rather be watching.
    edited August 2010
    The song is from thier 1st album the only one I like. Hey if you like Danzig you should check out the Misfits w/ Glenn Danzig singing awesome band. Song by Misfits I reccommend are Last Caress, London Dungeon, Skulls, etc. . . It is considered Horror Punk great music

The Misfits are legendary and I thought I should check them out a few years ago, so I got a box set with a bunch of their music. I liked it but I haven't listened to it in a long time. Gotta get re-acquainted with their music.

Now playing: Nine Black Alps - "Every Photograph Steals Your Soul". (Just some rock from England).
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    "A Prairie Home Companion" on National Public Radio :) A Sunday afternoon ritual for me.

Mtns
    edited August 2010
    Now playing: Fiction Plane - "Tommy". (Sting's son rock band, from England)
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2010
    My persistent tinnitus.....

and Tom Waits ; "Chocolate Jesus"
    edited August 2010
    My persistent tinnitus.....

and Tom Waits ; "Chocolate Jesus"

Oh man, I feel for you. I have had temporary tinnitus and it's the worse. I don't know if you ever "get used" to it, but it has to be difficult to even THINK in peace with the constant noise.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited August 2010
    lightwithin, thanks for your sympathy - been three years - I liken the sound to the fading sound of the singing bowl that signals the beginning and end of meditation sessions - so I am always in a temple......

and if you have ever listened to Tom Waits sing anything - well, you can't hear the ringing over that voice.....
    edited August 2010
    Two Step by Dave Mathews, one of my old faves. Just created a "work-friendly" playlist to pass the time at work with exactly nine hours of music.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Now playing: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by Easy Star All-Stars (reggae cover) :D
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Now playing: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by Easy Star All-Stars (reggae cover) :D

Cool! I love Easy Star All-Stars. They were around the first "dub" bands I tried out years ago. Good taste!
    edited August 2010
    I have two Danzig albums (Lucifuge, and IV) that I got from my cousin, and I like their sound, but whenever I've tried to get more from them, I've always been put off by the excessive satanic references in their song names and album names.

I'm fine with some bands being Satan "oriented", but when it's too blatant, I get too "scared" hahaha. Call me a wuss if you'd like. It's just the Catholic upbringing I had, claiming it's partial ownership of my fears.

Most of that is probably a result of Glenn Danzig's fascination with horror, b-films, comics, and pulp fiction. I doubt he takes it very seriously at all.
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited August 2010
    immortal technique
    edited August 2010
    Vagabond wrote: »
    immortal technique

Very cool, I used to hear a lot of him guesting on Mos Def's and Dead Prez's stuff. Glad you reminded me.
    edited August 2010
    Elton John - 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'

This easily goes in my top 10 songs.
    edited August 2010
    Now Playing: The Derek Trucks Band - "Key To The Highway (Live)".

Some great blues rock guitar for the end of my afternoon.
  • edited August 2010
    Psychic Chasm by Ozric Tentacles
    Just recently found these guys they are amazing and is really different to what I normally listen to.
    edited August 2010
    Shoot Me Down by Lil' Wayne, one of the only songs by him I really like.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Public Enemy - "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos"
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    the birds and oriental music coming from a temple not too far away ^.^
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Oh you know... White guy stuff. (Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Megadeth, Dream Theater and many others all on shuffle)

Right now though The Nightwatchman - Maximum Firepower.
  • edited September 2010
    Ceiling fan.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    A combination of Spectrum-X and lady Gaga.