Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are you Listening to right now!!!

Comments

• Does anybody in this thread actually listen to other people posts as there are no comments on such things hehe :lol:
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Rarely. On the surface of the videos it seems like people listen to some out there music. That's just my opinion. I want to check more of it out though because I listen to the same stuff over and over.
    ThailandTom
  • ZaylZayl Veteran

Say what you want about the Soviets, but they knew how to write one hell of an Anthem.
    shanyinThailandTomInvincible_summer
  • PBS - Tycho
  • Listening to my girlfriend giving me a lecture at 4.20am
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @ThailandTom - I usually give everyone's link a brief listen at least, and if I like what I'm hearing, I'll finish listening to it.
    ThailandTomriverflow
  • Caught up with a friend today online and afterward this put me in a sentimental mood for British folk, so I'm listening to a random mix of Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, Cat Stevens, Pentangle, Nick Drake, that sort of thing. Gentle stuff.
    lamaramadingdong
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Love these two voices together, all raw like this.

JeffreyLee82
  • Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    Not a genre that I typically like, but damned if this isn't a fine album.
    Invincible_summerriverflow
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • ZaylZayl Veteran

I am a brother of EVE, anyone else in the family?
    Invincible_summer
  • funky old thread, huh? :)

Dead Can Dance; Afro Celt Sound System; ELP...
    riverflow
  • One of most beautiful pieces ever written during the Renaissance... Josquin Desprez' Ave Maria.

Invincible_summerzombiegirl
  • Not really a genre of music I am into, grime, but sometimes when I wake up I play this as it puts me in an energetic mood. Wake 'n' grime
    :lol:
    Invincible_summer
    @ThailandTom - Are you into Foreign Beggars?
  • @ThailandTom - Are you into Foreign Beggars?

I have never heard of them in all honesty mate lol.. I am not particularity into grime ^ But sometimes it is just fun to wake up to and put on pretty loud.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The last thing I listened to was " If You Could Read My Mind " The Johnny Cash cover of Gordon Lightfoot's song. Its powerful stuff.

' If you could read my mind love
    what a tale my thoughts would tell.
    Just like an old time movie
    about a ghost in a wishing well.
    In a fortress strong or a dungeon dark
    with chains upon my feet.
    And you know that ghost is me.
    And I can never be set free as long
    As I'm a ghost that you can't see. '
    riverflow
  • Zayl said:

Peripherally. I've never played EVE (my computer wouldn't even run it), but I play Dust 514 a bit (it's taken a backseat recently to the new 'God of War' and the 'Tomb Raider' reboot).
  • Zayl said:

Peripherally. I've never played EVE (my computer wouldn't even run it), but I play Dust 514 a bit (it's taken a backseat recently to the new 'God of War' and the 'Tomb Raider' reboot).
    'Tomb Raider' reboot? You have my attention StaticToybox, please elaborate. Is it an emulator you can play on your PC or something of that nature?
  • Everything is Everything - Lauryn Hill
    Invincible_summer
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Emeli Sande-Next To Me

Raw British talent :bowdown:
    Invincible_summer
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2013
    The sounds of life, literally, not the song. The song is pretty good though
  • The Mahdi - the underachievers. Up next is "do the astral plane" by Flying Lotus
    Invincible_summer
    A classic track
    Hotei
  • Too much nostalgia tonight. Nothing but the Moody Blues (I'm not THAT old, but I loved listening to it on 8-track as a kid with my parents). I miss them both tonight, but we'll get to talk online tomorrow...

Here's a very Buddhist flavoured track (this one has always been a rather emotional track for me):

edited March 2013
    The Lady is a Tramp (cover version) by the Legend Tony Bennet and the Goddess that is Lady Gaga

Invincible_summerLee82
  • grizzly bear -ready able.... best video ever:

riverflow
    The original by the Cranberries will always be one of my favourite songs... but this cover by the amazing Faye Wong holds a special place in my heart (anyone who has seen Chungking Express will know what I mean).

riverflow
  • In a mood...

I love the mic placement on the piano- it isn't a flaw in the recording. It adds a special quality to the music.

Invincible_summer
  • What I'm listening to right this very moment:

Invincible_summerpaige

• HOW MANY WORLDS

Thinking of a world and the light of the sun
    And all the many lives that were ever begun,
    Ever begun.

Our little world turning in the blue
    As each day goes there's another one new,
    Another one new.

How many people will we feed today,
    How many lips will we kiss today,
    If we wake up?

How many worlds will we ever see,
    And how people can we ever be,
    If we wake up?

Thinking of a world in the light of the sun
    And all the many lives that were ever begun,
    Ever begun.

~Brian Eno
  • Again sorry if I am a downbeat on this thread again, but I am listening to the sounds of life literally. At this moment in time that is my fingertips typing, the fan blowing through my hair and around my ears, and a few birds and cars outside. I don't turn on my TV anymore and I very very rarely listen to music anymore either. I have found a sort of disenchantment with such things.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Painting today/tonight. Rockin' to Bon Jovi "it's my life" and a whole lot of Kenny Rogers and John Denver. I feel old, LOL.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Again sorry if I am a downbeat on this thread again, but I am listening to the sounds of life literally. At this moment in time that is my fingertips typing, the fan blowing through my hair and around my ears, and a few birds and cars outside. I don't turn on my TV anymore and I very very rarely listen to music anymore either. I have found a sort of disenchantment with such things.

It is 11:11 PM and some seconds here, I am listening to silence except for my computer fan and an occasional dog barking. And my mental voice thinking aloud in my head as I type, and the sound of the keys switching as I type. So I share your enjoyment of real or perceived soiunds.

ThailandTom
  • Again sorry if I am a downbeat on this thread again, but I am listening to the sounds of life literally. At this moment in time that is my fingertips typing, the fan blowing through my hair and around my ears, and a few birds and cars outside. I don't turn on my TV anymore and I very very rarely listen to music anymore either. I have found a sort of disenchantment with such things.

It is 11:11 PM and some seconds here, I am listening to silence except for my computer fan and an occasional dog barking. And my mental voice thinking aloud in my head as I type, and the sound of the keys switching as I type. So I share your enjoyment of real or perceived soiunds.

Yep, it is something that to me draws attention to the world around you throughout the day, if you pay attention to it from time to time that is. It is a kind of meditation. Instead of having the TV on or listening to music which ultimately just draws the mind to a form of mind-numbing device. If I spend my day working on my computer and posting in forums from time to time, then also observing how my mind interacts with sounds around me, I consider this a kind of meditation and it does help IMO.
    :thumbsup:
    riverflowStraight_Man
  • 'Just' by Radiohead - which could easily be titled 'Samsara Blues':

Invincible_summer
    Mariah Carey-Touch My Body

paige
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Besides putting out one of the most epic anime soundtracks ever (Legendary Wind Sword BERSERK Original Soundtrack), Susumu Hirasawa has also used his music as a means of expressing his opposition to things like the Iraq War and the brutality of war in general.
    Lee82
    edited April 2013
    There's some big Indian film awards thing happening in town, and one of the local newspapers made mention of this Indian Sufi singer Kavita Seth. Amazing stuff.

riverflow
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Something I would not normally listen to but I feel the passion and have sympathy with the story it tells and the impact of poor opportunities for the many disadvantaged youths these days. The video goes well with the song.

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    riverflow said:

In a mood...

I love the mic placement on the piano- it isn't a flaw in the recording. It adds a special quality to the music.

Reminded me of one of my favourite piano pieces, Gymnopedia No.1 by Satie:

riverflowlamaramadingdong
  • There's some big Indian film awards thing happening in town, and one of the local newspapers made mention of this Indian Sufi singer Kavita Seth. Amazing stuff.

Lovely, @Invincible_summer !

I don't listen to enough Indian music. Here's a beautiful track by Ravi Shankar and George Harrison:

Invincible_summer
  • Lee82 said:

Reminded me of one of my favourite piano pieces, Gymnopedia No.1 by Satie

There's definitely a strong Satie influence in Goldmund's music (I enjoy Satie's music too).

In a similar vein, I'd recommend John Cage's In a Landscape and Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel (for violin and piano).
    @riverflow - Just some trivia - the particular style of song in the link I posted is known as a ghazal. Lots of interesting structure in the lyrics, as well as the spiritual aspect of it.

Jagjit Singh is supposed to be the "King of Ghazal," you should check him out!
    riverflow
  • Jagjit Singh is supposed to be the "King of Ghazal," you should check him out!

Oh, so THAT is a ghazal! --I know it as a poetic form, but not as a musical setting! Thank you!!
    Invincible_summer
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Most intense version of "Tainted Love" I've ever heard. Apparently Coil's video for this song is on permanent display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Bruno marrs treasure
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Inspired in part by @LeonBasin's recent thread, I'm listening to some Buddhist chanting I downloaded, Shomyo. Apparently it is from the Shingon sect of Japan (of which I am entirely ignorant).

I actually find this surprisingly calming. There's a bit of shakuhachi playing on the download too. I've got it at a low volume-- it blends beautifully with the wind outside!

Invincible_summerpaigeTheEccentric
    One of the saddest and most powerful songs I've heard:

paige
  • Ummm... me -- from an album my girlfriend and I did a few years ago:

Invincible_summerpaige