Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

question regarding enlightment

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hey all!

If one is enlightend i suppose that he enjoys the way he finds ''himself'' in. Doesnt this mean that there is a craving for the joy of enlightment that of course will be there forever. when there is that desire (which seems the root of suffering) how can enlightment be without suffering if there is no way escaping from the joy of enlightment that always is and will be?

greets

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Ah i found the answer

There is no craving if its already and always there :p
  • edited November 2010
    Enlightenment is not by definition joy. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with joy. Enlightenment is just a state of seeing things as they really are, of "suchness", and as such, sees joy as just another attachment. It is a simple state of having clear insight into the nature of reality and therefore joy is seen as just another impediment, just another thing to be attached to. It is beyond all that.

Sorry.
  • edited November 2010
    the way i feel now is that enlightment is the most ordinairy thing there is. it doesnt make mee feel drawn to it or faced away from it. i feel like i dont really care much about it then...
  • edited November 2010
    That's closer to the idea.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The American civil rights leader Martin Luther King once observed, approximately: "What scares people is not what's wrong with the world. What really scares them is that everything is all right."

Differentiating enlightenment and suffering is like making a distinction between blue sky and sky that's blue.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Enlightenment is not by definition joy. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with joy. Enlightenment is just a state of seeing things as they really are, of "suchness", and as such, sees joy as just another attachment. It is a simple state of having clear insight into the nature of reality and therefore joy is seen as just another impediment, just another thing to be attached to. It is beyond all that.

Sorry.
    I respectfully disagree.

compared to the state of everyone else, an enlighten being has no anger, no sadness, no cravings, no anxiety, no uneaseaness, nothing blocking the true self from shining and radiating with love, happiness and joy... it is a state where bliss is constant.

For the enlighten being, joy cannot be an impediment or something to be attached to since he is enlighten. The joy is not something to look forward to and crave either, it's just happen that (luckily for us ;)) this is what happen when we liberate ourselves.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    an enlighten being has no anger, no sadness, no cravings, no anxiety, no uneaseaness,
    I always liked the story of the monk whose teacher approved his understanding. When the other monks heard of it, they gathered around the lucky fellow and congratulated him. One of them asked, "So, what is enlightenment like? Are all your problems resolved?" And the lucky fellow replied, "Nope -- same old problems."

I wouldn't be surprised if Ajahn Chah agreed.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    genkaku wrote: »
    I always liked the story of the monk whose teacher approved his understanding. When the other monks heard of it, they gathered around the lucky fellow and congratulated him. One of them asked, "So, what is enlightenment like? Are all your problems resolved?" And the lucky fellow replied, "Nope -- same old problems."

I wouldn't be surprised if Ajahn Chah agreed.
    problematic situations are still there of course.

but whatever problematic situation doesn't cause any pain, frustrations, anguish, etc... for you.

see my quote ;)
  • edited November 2010
    This is what Ajahn Buddhadasa had to say about enlightenment (Nirvana) ....

"Nirvana is a condition not in any way comparable to any other. It is unlike any worldly condition. In fact, it is the very negation of the worldly condition. Given all the characteristics of the worldly condition, of phenomenal existence, the result of completely canceling out all those characteristics is Nirvana. That is to say, Nirvana is that which is in every respect precisely the opposite of the worldly condition.

Nirvana neither creates nor is created, being the cessation of all creating. Speaking in terms of benefits, Nirvana is complete freedom from hellfire, scourging, torture, bondage, subjection and thralldom, because the attainment of Nirvana presupposes the complete elimination of the defilements, which are the cause of all unsatisfactory mental states.

Nirvana lies beyond the limitations of space and time. It is unique, unlike anything in the world. Rather it is the extinction of the worldly condition. Speaking metaphorically, the Buddha called it the realm where all conditional things cease to be (Sankhara - samatho). Hence it is the condition of freedom, of freedom from fetters. It is the end of torment and buffeting, stabbing and chafing, from any source whatsoever. This is the nature of the Supramundane, the ultimate. It is the Buddhist goal and destination. It is the final fruit of Buddhist practice "

source - http://www.buddhanet.net/budasa12.htm

• edited November 2010
    I think using the word "enlightenment" is a bit problematic.
    It would be more effective and specific if we used the Buddhist terminology in order to describe what it is we are talking about.
    "Enlightenment" could mean a lot of different things but the terms Buddhahood, arhat, nirvana etc. have specific meanings.
  • edited November 2010
    I think using the word "enlightenment" is a bit problematic.
    It would be more effective and specific if we used the Buddhist terminology in order to describe what it is we are talking about.
    "Enlightenment" could mean a lot of different things but the terms Buddhahood, arhat, nirvana etc. have specific meanings.

I think the same applies to the terms "joy" and "bliss".
  • edited November 2010
    I think the same applies to the terms "joy" and "bliss".
    Right. Its problematic because we dont really have equivalents in english for very specific Buddhist terminology.
    "Enlightenment" for me comes nowhere near accurately describing things like arhatship or buddhahood.
    Its a catchall phrase for the modern new age fad movement.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Wholeness/unity with all; peace.
  • edited November 2010
    I know I'm guilty of not citing a source for my definition above, but upon reflection, I think it's important to cite sources for definitions in this discussion. We would only end up having a lot of vague and maybe even contentious definitions of "enlightenment", "joy", and "bliss", and that wouldn't get us anywhere.
  • edited November 2010
    from reading the words bliss and joy and the context it is placed in im thinking that ''seeing the world like it is'' is completely not coherent to these words. As far as i can see now, there are 2 things:

1) A state of seeing the world as it is (and nothing really changes you just regard it differntly, more close to thinking about it differently).
    2) A state where there is no suffering

Now a state without suffering would imply that opposite feelings are omnipresent (peace bliss joy or any other are frequenlty named in describing theis state). i feel that this is some sort of utopian image and start to feel that this is just a state that is very much desired and wanted within buddhistic like thoughts. in fact maybe a state that is created (by that i mean made up) with buddhistic thinking. For example it says that there is pain (when a car hits you) but you perceive the event differently (no sadness for example loss of a limb or any type of suffering that could be generated by human interactive thinking). In this case i wouldnt say that state 1 is a ''state'' but more a way of reflecting reality and experience. and that state 2 is just phony
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    432145 wrote: »
    in fact maybe a state that is created (by that i mean made up) with buddhistic thinking.
    it's not about creating this state.

It just happen to be your nature, your true self when you remove all of the junk covering it (literally remove the junk, not philosophically, not metaphorically etc...)

it's whats left once you remove the impurity.
  • edited November 2010
    when at nirvana why even bother pondering about bliss, joy or non existence of suffering. I think those are just ways of talking about nirvana when not have ''experienced'' it. which makes it for me closer to a way of viewing the world than talking about true nature including using positive feeling words.

When i find true nature, ''bliss and no suffering''. ''bliss and no suffering'' both dont exist. As long as i will associate nirvana with no suffering and bliss, i am just trying to picture it this way and therefore it is totally not this way.

When i experience nirvana and describe it with bliss the whole truth of nirvana is broken down. simply describy nirvana this way or even thinking about it, trying to feel or imagine it leads to a point where nirvana could never be experienced. therefore nirvana is not bliss but simply, ordinairily being. As soon as you try to change the way of thinking of nirvana as ordinairy, it wont be the true nirvana.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    when at nirvana why even bother pondering about bliss, joy or non existence of suffering. I think those are just ways of talking about nirvana when not have ''experienced'' it. which makes it for me closer to a way of viewing the world than talking about true nature including using positive feeling words.

When i find true nature, ''bliss and no suffering''. ''bliss and no suffering'' both dont exist. As long as i will associate nirvana with no suffering and bliss, i am just trying to picture it this way and therefore it is totally not this way.

When i experience nirvana and describe it with bliss the whole truth of nirvana is broken down. simply describy nirvana this way or even thinking about it, trying to feel or imagine it leads to a point where nirvana could never be experienced. therefore nirvana is not bliss but simply, ordinairily being. As soon as you try to change the way of thinking of nirvana as ordinairy, it wont be the true nirvana.
    im not 100% sure i understand everything you mean but you certainly over think this. ;)
    enlightenment is permanent, it's not difficult to maintain or whatever.
    Just you, free from all defilement, enjoying your life.
  • edited November 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    but you certainly over think this. ;)

haha i actually shouldnt :p i notice that i like living without thought, but i am factly quite the opposite :p
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The way i see it is the only thing that is real is mind. This reality is a dream gone wild. Mind has forgotten what it is. To become enlightened is for the body within in the dream to realize its all a dream. And at that the dream becomes lucid.
  • edited December 2010
    Hey all!

If one is enlightend i suppose that he enjoys the way he finds ''himself'' in. Doesnt this mean that there is a craving for the joy of enlightment that of course will be there forever. when there is that desire (which seems the root of suffering) how can enlightment be without suffering if there is no way escaping from the joy of enlightment that always is and will be?

greets

An enlightened being has joy, bliss, contentment, peace, joviality, serenity, creativity, humor, etc. and does so without craving or attachment.

Attachment is not the only reason for wanting a sensation or a thing.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Desire is not the root of suffering. This is a mistake often made. Dukkha arises from "thirst" or "craving" (Tanha) that is based on Ignorance.

Desire can be skillful or unskillful. This desire to awaken is based on Right View of the Four Noble Truths... and so is skillful.
  • edited December 2010
    An enlightened being has joy, bliss, contentment, peace, joviality, serenity, creativity, humor, etc. and does so without craving or attachment.

Could you tell us your source for this?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    for wanting a sensation, i believe it is.

what would be the other reasons for wanting a sensation in your opinion?
  • edited December 2010
    Could you tell us your source for this?

Certainly not personal experience.

And no particular source for the statement, but many commentaries, prayers, and suttras refer to enlightened minds and mention these particular mental factors.

I do not endeavor to relate the truth with where I may have learned and affirmed it, rather I prefer to consider the truth relative to how I see it in life.

If it is confirmation you would like, then just consider it my opinion. If you are interested in further discourse on mental factors, there is one source I would suggest; "The mind and it's functions" by Geshe Rabten.
  • edited December 2010
    Thank you. Other things I've read by Geshe Rabten have been helpful.
  • edited December 2010
    for wanting a sensation, i believe it is.

what would be the other reasons for wanting a sensation in your opinion?

In my opinion, an enlightened mind would react and respond to causes and conditions. If a Buddha encountered beings that desired to be free of suffering, the feeling of compassion would arise. If this Buddha then taught the path of cessation of suffering and these beings did experience cessation, then the Buddha would rejoice.

I think that I can and do desire certain sensations for reasons other than craving and attachment (although I certainly have plenty of those).
    For example, I am looking forward to seeing loved ones this holiday season.
    Yes, I have attachment to them, but there is also a feeling of comfort, and joy that I think is not attachment. We will visit, recall past experiences, we will laugh and maybe cry together. There is a difference between love and attachment and although they get tangled up, they are not the same.

I am not particularly attached to success or accomplishment, but at this moment, I have work to do and I am looking forward to the feeling of accomplishment when my work is done.

Sensations of many kinds may be desired and without craving or attachment, but of course for us, the craving and attachment will be lurking. But I think I do desire the sensation of warmth, happiness, joy, contentment all for the sake of the experience alone and would do so even if the current attachment was not present.

I attended a retreat lead by the Ven. Robina Courtin who spoke at length about how we do experience attachment and other emotions at the same time, and that we need to continue the examination in order to separate the attachment from our feelings.

His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, says that all sentient beings desire happiness. I think that enlightened beings are indeed sentient and do desire happiness, but not out of attachment or craving, they desire happiness for the sake of happiness.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    In my opinion, an enlightened mind would react and respond to causes and conditions. If a Buddha encountered beings that desired to be free of suffering, the feeling of compassion would arise. If this Buddha then taught the path of cessation of suffering and these beings did experience cessation, then the Buddha would rejoice.
    imo, I don't think compassion arises as love is always there, so the enlighten being does not react emotionally to causes and conditions.

For example, I am looking forward to seeing loved ones this holiday season.
    Yes, I have attachment to them, but there is also a feeling of comfort, and joy that I think is not attachment.
    nothing wrong with that of course, but what prevent you from feeling comfort and joy right now?
    I am looking forward to the feeling of accomplishment when my work is done.
    How can you not call this craving? (not trying to point fingers, just asking :))
    feeling of accomplishment is pretty similar to the feeling of satisfying an urge i believe wouldn't you say so?
    What prevent you from feeling perfectly at peace right now?
    I attended a retreat lead by the Ven. Robina Courtin who spoke at length about how we do experience attachment and other emotions at the same time, and that we need to continue the examination in order to separate the attachment from our feelings.
    sounds interesting, i would read it if you started a thread about what you have learned there :)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    compared to the state of everyone else, an enlighten being has no anger, no sadness, no cravings, no anxiety, no uneaseaness, nothing blocking the true self from shining and radiating with love, happiness and joy... it is a state where bliss is constant.

For the enlighten being, joy cannot be an impediment or something to be attached to since he is enlighten. The joy is not something to look forward to and crave either, it's just happen that (luckily for us ;)) this is what happen when we liberate ourselves.

Here's what Ajahn Sumedho has to say about it:

lps.jpg
    Question:

If consciousness and the khandhas** cease in a Tathagata, in a Buddha, in someone who becomes enlightened, who exists, what kind of existence is there left? Is there anything, is there nothing, or what?

Answer (Luang Por Sumedho)

There's no delusion, about it any more. There's consciousness -the buddha was conscious, he wasn't unconscious - and he had a body and he had perception. He had vedana and he had sanna sankhara, vinnara. He had sense organs, and could see, hear, smell, taste, touch, think, and he had vedana,- there was vedana but there was no desire from that, coming from, ignorance. There was the ability to respond, to teach out of compassion for other beings, but there was no self to do it: there was just the remaining of what was left of that lifetime. He lived over forty years after his enlightenment, for the welfare of others beings. Language gets very confusing, because cessation sounds like annihilation to us-but it isn't. It's the ceasing of ignorance, the cessation of ignorance.

Forest Sangha
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Here's what Ajahn Sumedho has to say about it:

lps.jpg
    thanks for the quote but i'm a little confused.

did you posted this because you believed it was somehow opposed to what you quoted from me?

thanks you regardless.

i believe this quote (posted by dazzle) is far more precise and appropriate for this thread
    Nirvana neither creates nor is created, being the cessation of all creating. Speaking in terms of benefits, Nirvana is complete freedom from hellfire, scourging, torture, bondage, subjection and thralldom, because the attainment of Nirvana presupposes the complete elimination of the defilements, which are the cause of all unsatisfactory mental states.
  • edited December 2010
    imo, I don't think compassion arises as love is always there, so the enlighten being does not react emotionally to causes and conditions.

nothing wrong with that of course, but what prevent you from feeling comfort and joy right now?

How can you not call this craving? (not trying to point fingers, just asking :))
    feeling of accomplishment is pretty similar to the feeling of satisfying an urge i believe wouldn't you say so?
    What prevent you from feeling perfectly at peace right now?

sounds interesting, i would read it if you started a thread about what you have learned there :)

I am not perfectly at peace, because I am deluded and this has brought me to this existence in samsara. And while I do feel comfort and joy, much is diminished due to the deluded suffering of samsara.

The experiences, situations and things that I want are both, things that I crave and am attached to, but also just experiences, situations and things that have my interest.

I think that we do crave the things we want, maybe constantly, but I hope that craving and attachment are not all that we do.

When we satisfy an urge there is but a brief moment of relief, barely even satisfaction. When we accomplish something we can enjoy it for some time to come. Knowing that we did the right thing, or that we helped someone, or even just stood up to our responsibilities, this is meaningful and worthwhile.

I think we walk a narrow path, trying to love wholeheartedly, and have compassion (even when it seems hardest), but at the same time not let ourselves become too attached.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    did you posted this because you believed it was somehow opposed to what you quoted from me?

thanks you regardless.

Luang Por was pretty clear if you choose to read what he said.

The question he responded to was If consciousness and the khandhas** cease in a Tathagata, in a Buddha, in someone who becomes enlightened, who exists, what kind of existence is there left? Is there anything, is there nothing, or what?

And his answer was kind, and honest, I believe.

+ You're welcome. _/\_
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Enjoying nirvana and being attached to it.
    Then it's not nirvana.
    Its the perfect state of being that surpass all description.
    How's that for a description?