Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism without culture

edited April 2011 in Buddhism Today
Which buddhist tradition is more adaptable to western culture? I mean a buddhist tradition without, or at least less, asian culture.

Comments

• Mindfulness based stress relief.
  • I'm not sure what many think about him but I enjoy books by Stephen Batchelor. His latest is called 'Confession of a Buddhist Atheist'. It was praised by Christopher Hitchens, who many might know as a famous Anti-Theist who is a staunch supporter of Western society.

There's another author called Sam Harris, who I think too is a "Buddhist Atheist". He had an interesting article in the Shambhala Sun called 'Killing the Buddha'.

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2903&Itemid=0

Alot of "Buddhist Atheists" tend to strip off the culture. If anything it seems many Western Buddhists go a bit overboard and culture worship some.

Zen Buddhism as practiced in Japan seems pretty Western compatable. But that's if they're properly practicing, which is debatable.
  • yea I have to agree with jeffrey. Very reductionist and simple.
  • I'm not sure what many think about him but I enjoy books by Stephen Batchelor. His latest is called 'Confession of a Buddhist Atheist'. It was praised by Christopher Hitchens, who many might know as a famous Anti-Theist who is a staunch supporter of Western society.

Alot of "Buddhist Atheists" tend to strip off the culture. If anything it seems many Western Buddhists go a bit overboard and culture worship some.

Zen Buddhism as practiced in Japan seems pretty Western compatable. But that's if they're properly practicing, which is debatable.
    We had a thread dedicated to Batchelor's "Confession" book awhile ago, and it came up again yesterday on the "dogma" thread. I found the book very valuable. Have you read his "Buddhism Without Beliefs"? Sounds interesting.
    Not all aspects of these foreign cultures are desirable or even moral from a Buddhist standpoint. Tibet had a caste system and slavery, and I've heard of cases (and observed) where something similar gets re-created in sanghas or in the workplace where Tibetans are employed.
  • I wouldn't mind removing the rituals. There is already enough practice in the Eightfold path.For example, mindfulness, meditation, sila, metta, etc.. When Buddhism comes to a certain land, people in that land adopt it but still have not let go of the various rituals of the land. Therefore , what we see is a mixture of Buddhist teachings with certain elements of that particular culture. That is why Buddhism look very different from country to country in terms of rituals. Hardly any ritual can be found in the original teaching itself. If the West does not practice much ritual to begin with, then it is more compatible with the Buddha's teaching. He actually discourage attachment to rituals and emphasize the practice of the Eightfold Path instead. Various rituals that belong to other cultures can be left behind if it has no basis in the original teaching.

But we have to be very careful about throwing out thing that belong in the teaching of the Buddha's Eightfold Path. An in complete practice does not help anyone either. One example is Stephen Batchlor's recommending people to ignore one of the three division of the Eightfold path , which is Sila ( morality, virtue, right speech, right livelihood, etc..) and Vinaya. That turns the Eightfold Path of the Buddha into an incomplete Sixfold or Fivefold Path of some sort.

Also , he recommended that people throw out the Buddha's teaching on cause and effect ( kamma) as well as rebirth. This is an important aspect of the teaching as well. One of the rule for monastic is no sex, and yet he think that we should ignore that. Also the triple gem can be turned into a double gem of some sort, where by the sangha gem ( monastic sangha ) established by the Buddha should be eliminated. We don't know if this person is even enlightened ( which is highly unlikely) or a new Buddha. It is best to go back to the original teaching of the Buddha and practice according rather than someone who wanted to set up his own path regardless of what the Buddha himself taught. It is fine if a certain person wanted to give a teaching on enlightenment according to the path he discovered, but it is no longer the path of the Buddha. However, it is said that the next Buddha is Maitreya instead of Batchelor. So I would wait until then to follow the path of a new Buddha. For now, the teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha would do.

• Thanks, but I don´t mean that I will be a buddhist atheist. I am interested to discover the wisdom of Buddha. But it seems that buddhism has been influenced a lot by the countries who has adapted it, like tibetan buddhism for example. The tibetan buddhism has a lot of influence from their own old shamanistic religion. They talk a lot about tulkus, bardos and spirit world. It is a little to much of that influence, for my taste. I guess other countries have their old religion influence. So I am interested if there is a tradition that is more "pure" or without so much old religion influence...I don´t know, maybe it is difficult to find.
  • . If the West does not practice much ritual to begin with, then it is more compatible with the Buddha's teaching. He actually discourage attachment to rituals and emphasize the practice of the Eightfold Path instead.
    Interesting point. You're right!
    But we have to be very careful about throwing out thing that belong in the teaching of the Buddha's Eightfold Path. An in complete practice does not help anyone either. One example is Stephen Batchlor's recommending people to ignore one of the three division of the Eightfold path , which is Sila ( morality, virtue, right speech, right livelihood, etc..) and Vinaya.
    I don't recall this, dharma. Which book of his was that in?
    Also , he recommended that people throw out the Buddha's teaching on cause and effect ( kamma) as well as rebirth. This is an important aspect of the teaching as well. One of the rule for monastic is no sex, and yet he think that we should ignore that. Also the triple gem can be turned into a double gem of some sort, where by the sangha gem ( monastic sangha ) established by the Buddha should be eliminated.
    My reading of the "Confession" book is that he accepts karma as it applied to the current lifetime, not future lifetimes. That's not an unusual interpretation of the suttras. As far as celibacy for monks goes, that's already not observed in much of the Tibetan tradition and Japan. And I've seen it discussed on this forum that the Buddha was against monastic power structures, I'm not sure about that. My impression was that Batchelor, after learning Pali and studying the canon, was all for getting "back to basics".

Thanks for an interesting discussion! Maybe it's time to start another thread on Batchelor--he's been coming up lately on a number of threads. :)
  • edited April 2011
    dharma: Yes, pure eightfold path is definetely enough to practice. I like to keep it simple, if not I get confused and the practice become a burden instead.
  • Thanks, but I don´t mean that I will be a buddhist atheist. I am interested to discover the wisdom of Buddha. But it seems that buddhism has been influenced a lot by the countries who has adapted it, like tibetan buddhism for example. The tibetan buddhism has a lot of influence from their own old shamanistic religion. They talk a lot about tulkus, bardos and spirit world. It is a little to much of that influence, for my taste. I guess other countries have their old religion influence. So I am interested if there is a tradition that is more "pure" or without so much old religion influence...I don´t know, maybe it is difficult to find.
    My advice would be to take what you find congenial, and leave the rest alone for the time being. At a later time, you might find that some of what you found distasteful makes more sense. Maybe not.

All religions have problems when transplanted. For example, does it make any sense to Asians when Western Christian missionaries offer them bread as part of Christian worship and tell them that it's the staff of life when Asians know very well that rice is their basic food?

• Julia,

It's all about conveyance. Does a particular way of teaching convey the Buddha's message? Does it help you stop identifying with things that are not you? Does it lead to the end of duhkha?

I've never encountered any form of religion, Bachelor's Buddhism included, that wasn't deeply embedded in a culture. A teaching won't make any sense to you without cultural referents. It won't seem true unless it agrees with the tacit assumptions that you have as a result of socialization.

There's a story about a Japanese monk who was walking along a road in the moonlight. He stopped to rest and lean against a stone wall, and fell over when the wall he was leaning against turned out to be a shadow in the moonlight.

If you find that a "culture free" Buddhism is more congenial, don't hesitate to practice it. Eventually you're going to find that it is just another moon shadow. Start with patience, practice, and courage, and add whatever else you think you need until you realize you don't need it anymore.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    bardos has a meaning in bare as it is awareness practice as well. mindfulness is the ability of the mind to move from one thing to another. to not get caught in thinking. bardo is that movement. we are always in the bardos and are in fact in multiple bardos.

where do you recollect 'spirit world' in Tibetan buddhism? It may be pointing to an experience of consciousness, a subjective reality, rather than an objective material reality. Buddhism is not scientific materialism so there is no dichotomy.

I feel a tulku is a belief in what a being represents. A similarity. An appearance. Beings are ultimately empty of any charicterists, as the true reality. Potential. Karma is appearance rather than ultimate nature in TB.
  • I feel a tulku is a belief in what a being represents. A similarity. An appearance. Beings are ultimately empty of any charicterists, as the true reality.
    Are you sure about this, Jeffrey? I think most Tibetans believe the 14th DL is the reincarnation of the 13th (and the 12th, etc.) They're not saying his reincarnate status is just an appearance. I don't think there'd be such a huge fight over the 17th Karmapa if the whole tulku thing were just an appearance, or a symbol.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've never encountered any form of religion, Bachelor's Buddhism included, that wasn't deeply embedded in a culture. A teaching won't make any sense to you without cultural referents.
    The 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path stand on their own just fine, without any cultural background. Same with mindfullness. etc. The meaning doesn't change by transplanting these teachings from the West to India, or to Japan, or to Mongolia or to.... so many cultural referents to choose from. What's the point? The basic teachings are brilliant on their own.
    I feel a tulku is a belief in what a being represents. A similarity. An appearance. Beings are ultimately empty of any charicterists, as the true reality.
    Are you sure about this, Jeffrey? I think most Tibetans believe the 14th DL is the reincarnation of the 13th (and the 12th, etc.) They're not saying his reincarnate status is just an appearance. I don't think there'd be such a huge fight over the 17th Karmapa if the whole tulku thing were just an appearance, or a symbol.
    I'm starting to think that there are two aspects to many teachings; the literal (accepted by traditional people from the countries that originated and developed Buddhism, often relatively unschooled people), and a sort of relativist or symbolic approach, taught to Westerners and educated monks (the top 10% in the monasteries). I remember getting the teaching that we aim for Enlightenment, and shouldn't allow ourselves to get enticed by rebirth in the god realm, because the gods are prone to jealousies and their own brand of suffering. If we think the godly life is cushy and don't practice diligently enough, we won't succeed in liberating ourselves from suffering, even if we are reborn as gods. This was a very literal teaching. It's also true, however, that humans create their own hell realms in this lifetime. Even the last Pope said that; heaven and hell are here and now. Maybe the trend now, in both Christianity and Buddhism, is away from literalist teachings, I don't know.
  • "Are you sure about this, Jeffrey? I think most Tibetans believe the 14th DL is the reincarnation of the 13th (and the 12th, etc.) They're not saying his reincarnate status is just an appearance. I don't think there'd be such a huge fight over the 17th Karmapa if the whole tulku thing were just an appearance, or a symbol."

Those were my ideas not a text or teacher. What you say sounds reasonable, but it might be politics. You don't see too many tulkus who aren't leaders of something.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Just between you and me, Jeffrey (and the forum, and...the internet), I've heard it's politics. But still, I think the common folk believe it's real. So do many Westerners, for that matter.
  • The individuals that they choose to fill the political role may be people they feel have those good qualities. So sort of 'emanations' mixed with politics. The Dalai Lama may have been chosen DL because he was a boy who had the qualities they hoped would bloom into a DL. Thus both idealism and politics are served. He wasn't chosen because his mom was rich or powerful. Thats progress over democracy ;)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Some say the DL was chosen because he's from Eastern Tibet, and the center wanted to strengthen ties with the eastern provinces. Democracy....hmmm.... :orange: :hrm:
  • Better than having McDonalds influencing Tibetan Buddhism to advocate meat eating.
  • I've never encountered any form of religion, Bachelor's Buddhism included, that wasn't deeply embedded in a culture. A teaching won't make any sense to you without cultural referents.
    The 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path stand on their own just fine, without any cultural background. Same with mindfullness.
    Experience shows that when someone asks about Buddhism, you can't just quote the 4 truths and the eightfold path at them. You'll just get blank looks. You have to tie it into their life experience or into concepts they're familiar with before it means anything to them. Your claim that they stand on their own sounds good until you try to match it with actual experience, and then it just falls apart.
    The meaning doesn't change by transplanting these teachings from the West to India, or to Japan, or to Mongolia or to....
    I don't recall saying that the meaning of the 4 truths or the eightfold path or mindfulness changed. What I said was that people need to tie religion into the culture they live in if it is going to make sense to them. The experience of Buddhism in the west, or in Japan, or in Mongolia shows this.

By way of example, look at Bachelor. His goal is to strip away the unessential teachings that have accrued to Buddhism and leave only the core, necessary teachings. What he's actually doing is exchanging beliefs and assumptions associated with other cultures for beliefs and assumptions associated with western post-Enlightenment culture. I don't object to him doing that, but other people may find his post-Enlightenment beliefs and assumptions unnecessary, and feel that his beliefs contribute nothing to their understanding of Buddhism.
  • Experience shows that when someone asks about Buddhism, you can't just quote the 4 truths and the eightfold path at them. You'll just get blank looks.
    Speak for yourself. My experience shows that people are impressed when I tell them about the 4Noble Truths, the logic is immediately accessible. And about compassion, developing skillful means to help others. I've encountered only positive reactions, even delight. This, from atheists, from Eastern Orthodox, from Muslims, all kinds of people from a variety of cultures.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I had a problem with my ex being found passed out on the floor and not knowing if she was breathing chronically (due to drinking). I asked my aunt who is conservative christian reformed and had experience with the topic of alcoholism. She asked what I believed spiritually and I said I was a buddhist. She asked what that meant and I explained the four noble truths. She said that it was correct what I had described.
  • Of course I didn't mention that right view would be a non-existence of God however, but some parts are universal I feel.
  • edited April 2011
    I agree; there are more similarities between Buddhism and Christianity, perhaps, than some Buddhists would like to think. Good story, Jeffrey. :) Maybe if we could strip some of the frills from the different religions, we could do a better job of finding common ground. If there's a sincere will to find common ground, that is. I guess HHDL has been pretty good at that.
  • Experience shows that when someone asks about Buddhism, you can't just quote the 4 truths and the eightfold path at them. You'll just get blank looks.
    Speak for yourself. My experience shows that people are impressed when I tell them about the 4Noble Truths, the logic is immediately accessible.
    I see. You tell them that there is duhkha, duhkha has a cause, it can be overcome, and the way to overcome it is the 8 fold path. You give then no further information, and they immediately understand you?
    And about compassion, developing skillful means to help others. I've encountered only positive reactions, even delight. This, from atheists, from Eastern Orthodox, from Muslims, all kinds of people from a variety of cultures.
    Again, you mention karuna and skillful means without explaining them, and your audience immediately understands and is delighted?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Mindfulness based stress relief.
    Umm, except that this is not actually Buddhism. It's taking one tool of Buddhism - a very powerful and useful one, i admit - but without the other crucial elements (like compassion & wisdom) which make Buddhism 'the whole package'.

Julia - it sounds to me that, at least at this stage of your experience with Buddhism, you should simply continue to study texts by accessible authors (i personally recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching as a wonderful book to start, simply because it is both a good overview of the basic teachings written by a man who truly lives and breathes the ideals he discusses). You can also start your own meditation practice. Then, if and when you feel like it, you may contact a local group and see where that leads you.

Enjoy your journey :)

Namaste
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Well Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction isn't buddhism but it does include compassion and wisdom. Based on the Jon Kabatt Zinn CDs I am listening to. The wish to be free of suffering is already built in. Then you are mindful of your mental and body. So you see the negative patterns you are in. That is the dawning of wisdom and compassion is the response produced by that wisdom to alleviate the suffering.
  • edited April 2011
    I am not new to buddhism, I have studied a gret deal and practiced the last 4 years. But this thoughts and doubts about cultural influence has arisen now. I have mostly been involved in tibetan buddhism, but I find the huge amounts of practices and study both overwhelming and a hindrance for me there. It is always a lot to "do" in tibetan buddhism. I am talking about for example ngöndro and study. I can get stressed out with all this. So I have started to interest me and look around in other traditions.
  • Mindfulness based stress relief.
    yea I have to agree with jeffrey. Very reductionist and simple.
    But simple is not necessarily more appealing. In fact, much of the appeal of Buddhism to Americans is the history, the lore, and the tradition.

When I do meetup searches online I find A LOT more groups based around traditional Buddhism rather than MBSR or other meditation practices.

Mindfulness based stress relief.
    Umm, except that this is not actually Buddhism.
    Namaste
    Well Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction isn't buddhism
    I disagree. MBSR is Buddhism in disguise, which is kinda sad, but I guess necessary in some settings.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I'm starting to think that there are two aspects to many teachings; the literal (accepted by traditional people from the countries that originated and developed Buddhism, often relatively unschooled people), and a sort of relativist or symbolic approach, taught to Westerners and educated monks
    This dichotomy is actually quite explicit in the traditions I'm familiar with.

• I see. You tell them that there is duhkha, duhkha has a cause, it can be overcome, and the way to overcome it is the 8 fold path. You give then no further information, and they immediately understand you?

Again, you mention karuna and skillful means without explaining them, and your audience immediately understands and is delighted?
    Naturally, I don't use foreign vocabulary, I use terms familiar to everyone. But of course they understand, and are impressed. The Buddha's logic and principles transcend culture.

• I suggest you try Ajahn Brahm on youtube.
    His teachings is one of the simplest.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I suggest you try Ajahn Brahm on youtube.
    His teachings is one of the simplest.
    The 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, and the precepts, are easily understood by children anywhere. No translation from culture to culture needed. Very simple and straightforward. That's one thing that impressed me about Buddhism when I was a kid. I've since discovered it's not that unusual for children to be attracted to Buddhism.
  • Naturally, I don't use foreign vocabulary, I use terms familiar to everyone. But of course they understand, and are impressed. The Buddha's logic and principles transcend culture.
    OK. You use the English term "compassion" instead of "karuna", and while they're close in meaning, they're not identical. But since, by your own statements, you're not doing any explaining, you are more or less forced to use the western concept that your audience is already prepared to understand.

I've tried to get you to describe how you present the concepts of compassion and skillful means, and rather than respond, you've insisted that they are stand alone. So going by your own statements, you've presented them in a stand alone manner without context and without explanation. The concepts of compassion and skillful means, reasonably similar concepts, are found in atheism, Eastern Orthodox Christianity, and Islam, along with many other religions and cultures you haven't mentioned. So by presenting the two concepts in a stand alone manner, without any context that would tie them into Buddhism, you've avoiding presenting them with anything that they weren't already acculturated to understand and accept. And the things you did present them with, compassion and skillful means, are concepts for which they already have a rich set of cultural referents.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Why would these teachings need to be tied to Buddhism in order to be understood? I'm not understanding your perspective, Ren.
  • edited April 2011
    OK. You use the English term "compassion" instead of "karuna", and while they're close in meaning, they're not identical. But since, by your own statements, you're not doing any explaining, you are more or less forced to use the western concept that your audience is already prepared to understand.

I've tried to get you to describe how you present the concepts of compassion and skillful means, and rather than respond, you've insisted that they are stand alone.
    I use "compassion" instead of "karuna", because that's the word that's always been used in teachings I've received. I've never heard of the word "karuna".

You've "tried to get [me] to describe how [I] present the concepts of compassion and skillful means..."? I wasn't aware of that. Usually when someone wants something of someone else, they make a simple request. I'm not a mind-reader, RenGalskap, nor am I trying to be difficult. I think the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, and other teachings, such as the "Middle Way" (avoidance of extremes) are inspired strokes of genius, and part of that genius is that they're accessible to anyone from any culture. Everyone can understand compassion, it's not an Asian concept. "Life is suffering, we can end the suffering, here is the way" has nothing to do with Asian culture, it's a pan-human concept, as are so many of the Buddha's teachings. This is to be appreciated, the Buddha's brilliant mind. There are other concepts, such as rebirth (which according to some, he didn't teach anyway) that are more culture-bound. But all human beings can relate to suffering/dissatisfaction/stress (I also never encountered the word "dukkha" until I joined this forum), and want a way to avoid it. I honestly don't see the difficulty here. Remember, I'm only talking about very basic teachings, not the more sophisticated ones, like: emptiness, no-self.

• Since it deprived from Asia and is considered an Asian religion, that we should learn about that culture to understand their viewpoints better and to understand why and how their traditions are the way they are.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    True, that might help understand some teachings, but I think the point is that it's not necessary to do that in order to understand the introductory teachings. They're simple enough for a child in any culture to understand.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    I have mostly been involved in tibetan buddhism, but I find the huge amounts of practices and study both overwhelming and a hindrance for me there.
    I feel exactly the same. Tibetan Buddhism just seems to have a lot of 'baggage' attached. It seems like a big, beautiful, quasi-mystical branch of the teachings, but just, as you say, overwhelming. Personally i am more attracted to the minimalistic aesthetics of Zen as manifest in Japanese culture, but i find it adapts very well to a 'Western' perspective.

Of course, ultimately, the personal experience of Buddhism should transcend culture, and yet, we must enter this experience through cultural doors. So choose your culture and go for it!

• True, that might help understand some teachings, but I think the point is that it's not necessary to do that in order to understand the introductory teachings. They're simple enough for a child in any culture to understand.
    That is true, but my personal beliefs are that it is important to know and understand the culture if you want to see more than just the surface level of the people in that culture.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    While understanding a culture can provide insights to a religion, a valid religion should be able to stand no matter what culture it is transplanted into.
  • True, I guess my point of view is coming from my love to study and learn about diffrent cultures.
  • That is true, but my personal beliefs are that it is important to know and understand the culture if you want to see more than just the surface level of the people in that culture.
    This is good, but we're not talking about getting to know the people. We're talking about Buddhist theory.

• For me, the essence of Buddhism transcends culture. However, since there are so many different forms of Buddhisms available, one should spend a bit of effort to understand the culture of your tradition, since the practices of that tradition are necessarily influenced by the culture. At least learn and understand a little bit about traditional Indian culture and philosophy. This can help us understand why monks go for alms, for example, and how the different kinds of meditation practices were formulated.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    For me, the essence of Buddhism transcends culture. However, since there are so many different forms of Buddhisms available, one should spend a bit of effort to understand the culture of your tradition, since the practices of that tradition are necessarily influenced by the culture. At least learn and understand a little bit about traditional Indian culture and philosophy. This can help us understand why monks go for alms, for example, and how the different kinds of meditation practices were formulated.
    I lived in Thailand for a while, and that's how I got into Buddhism to begin with. But, I'm not sure that the Thai culture taught me real Buddhism.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    True, I guess my point of view is coming from my love to study and learn about diffrent cultures.
    I love cultural diversity--I think it would be a sad world without it. If you want to use Buddhism as a doorway to culture, that's great. But one doesn't need culture as a doorway to Buddhism. At least not in the early stages, if at all. The wisdom, logic and practicality of the basic teachings are independent of culture. That may be why it has been so popular and quick to catch on in the West.

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2011
    You've "tried to get [me] to describe how [I] present the concepts of compassion and skillful means..."? I wasn't aware of that. Usually when someone wants something of someone else, they make a simple request.
    I did, twice. You quoted both requests. I'll quote your quotes.

I see. You tell them that there is duhkha, duhkha has a cause, it can be overcome, and the way to overcome it is the 8 fold path. You give then no further information, and they immediately understand you?

Naturally, I don't use foreign vocabulary, I use terms familiar to everyone. But of course they understand, and are impressed. The Buddha's logic and principles transcend culture.
    I asked you if you gave no further information after reciting the 4 truths, and I asked if you mention karuna and skillful means with out explaining them. Aside from stating that you don't use foreign vocabulary, you made no effort to answer my questions about what information or explanation you give after reciting the four truths and mentioning compassion and skillful means.
    I use "compassion" instead of "karuna", because that's the word that's always been used in teachings I've received. I've never heard of the word "karuna".
    You use "compassion" instead of "karuna", and "suffering" instead of "duhkha". Karuna and duhkha refer to concepts that aren't quite the same as any concepts you're familiar with, and in order to learn about Buddhism you had to have it explained to you using concepts taken from your own culture. And now you're using these same concepts from your culture to explain Buddhism to other people familiar with western culture. And you feel that this proves that explaining and understanding Buddhism is somehow independent of culture.
    Everyone can understand compassion, it's not an Asian concept. "Life is suffering, we can end the suffering, here is the way" has nothing to do with Asian culture,
    The concept of duhkha is sufficiently different from any corresponding western concept that some scholars think that translating it does more harm than good. When you say that life is suffering, you may be saying something that you can easily understand, but the Buddha said that birth is duhkha and death is duhkha, which is not the same as saying that life is suffering. It's not just a difference in language.
    I think the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, and other teachings, such as the "Middle Way" (avoidance of extremes) are inspired strokes of genius, and part of that genius is that they're accessible to anyone from any culture.
    Of course they're accessible to anyone from any culture, provided they are expressed in ways that specific people from specific cultures are prepared to understand. This is part of what is meant by skillful means.
  • The 4 Noble Truths require no explanation, do they? They speak for themselves--their lucidity is what impresses people. I use the same terms for the concepts we're discussing as I was given when I received these teachings. The Dalai Lama and other teachers use these terms, they don't quibble about whether "suffering" adequately expresses "dukkha". I've only encountered the term "dukkha" and discussion of its meaning since joining this forum not long ago. This seems like a strange artificial argument we're having.
  • (Edit window closed) I did answer your questions, RenGalskap, "The Four Noble Truths stand alone" is the answer to one of your questions. The other answer was that I use the word "compassion" which is understood by all. Why are we having a problem with this? It's pretty simple and straightforward. That's the beauty of it.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2011
    (Edit window closed) I did answer your questions, RenGalskap, "The Four Noble Truths stand alone" is the answer to one of your questions.
    Here's the question yet again.
    You tell them that there is duhkha, duhkha has a cause, it can be overcome, and the way to overcome it is the 8 fold path. You give then no further information, and they immediately understand you?
    I asked you whether you gave them more information, beyond simply reciting the four truths. Telling me "The Four Noble Truths stand alone" doesn't tell me whether you gave more information.
    The other answer was that I use the word "compassion" which is understood by all.
    And here is that question, yet again.
    This is a question about your specific actions. Do you provide an explanation or not? Telling me that the word compassion is understood by all doesn't tell me whether you provided an explanation or not.
    Why are we having a problem with this?
    Let's review what happened. I made the statement that simply reciting the four truths to people who don't know anything about Buddhism will get you blank looks. You challenged that by making the claim that your experience indicated otherwise. I asked for clarification; i.e. I asked whether you were making a bald statement of certain Buddhist teachings without offering any further information or explanation. You quoted the questions, and responded in a way that didn't answer them. When I pointed this out, you first denied that I had asked the questions you quoted, and then offered responses that obviously don't answer the questions, while insisting that you had answered the questions.

I'm not in a position to know why we're having this problem. I have no way of knowing why you're trying to debate this way. Since you're using your experience as support for your claim, I think I'm entitled to ask you to specify how your experience supports your claim. It doesn't make sense to me that you would initiate a debate and then be so evasive about providing evidence.
  • The 4 Noble Truths require no explanation, do they?
    Then why is so much of Buddhist teaching and writing devoted to explaining them?
    I use the same terms for the concepts we're discussing as I was given when I received these teachings. The Dalai Lama and other teachers use these terms, they don't quibble about whether "suffering" adequately expresses "dukkha".
    Westerners receive teachings that are expressed with western languages and concepts.