Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone a Christian still?

2»

Comments

• Sola Scriptura is a hard thing to shake wether atheist, reformed Christian, Buddhist, etc...
  • I was raised in a strict Christian family, to the point that it would be sinful to study anything other than the bible. It was hard to shake the feeling that I was betraying God by learning things that would introduce doubt in the bible teachings. Once I shook the fear that Christianity instilled in me, the whole faith-based controlling system crumbled away pretty quickly... I still hold some bitterness towards the manipulation and lies that were forced on me as a young child, and I need to work on letting this go.
  • @Telly03
    At this moment you are where you are to be. Its the ripening of your karma if you don't mind me saying, and that you still have freedom of choice to do with the moment what you will :)

I haven't experienced the whole faith-based controlling system personally. I more free than I have ever been actually.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

... Some churches don't even bother with OT anymore and I can totally get behind that, but they get flack from more traditional churches. ...

Very true. Once in a while I go to the local Methodist church. I don't think they've ever had passages from the OT. All NT as far as I recall.

• edited August 2012
    I've never been Christian, despite my Christian parents, being in churches, and growing up for a few years at the Baptist College of Florida. Never have I even for one second felt Christian.

On the other hand, I like the Bible (I view the Old Testament and New Testament as utterly separate canons but like either of them). As for the New Testament, or however much of it remains after the Nicean Council, Jesus was a very great rabbi and the entirety of his teaching pretty much falls into the Dharma effortlessly. It is no coincidence that Jesus was born 500 years after the Wheel had been turned. Specifically the beginning of the New Testament is very favorable to Jesus, from a Buddhist perspective. Fasting in the woods, being tempted by Mara, healing people and preaching love, compassion, giving, and temperance. Pretty standard Buddhism.

From a Mahayanist perspective Jesus is clearly a manifestation of Bodhisattvas (Enlightenment Beings representing Buddhanature). At the very least, I'm confident he was a truthful teacher who was close to god, and may have indeed been a bodhisatta.

The Old Testament is just too omitted, and too many books are left out for it to be very useful within the Bible itself. However it's still very interesting and it is helpful if you're studying spiritually ancient human history.
    Kundoandyrobyn

I've never been Christian, despite my Christian parents, being in churches, and growing up for a few years at the Baptist College of Florida. Never have I even for one second felt Christian.

On the other hand, I like the Bible (I view the Old Testament and New Testament as utterly separate canons but like either of them). As for the New Testament, or however much of it remains after the Nicean Council, Jesus was a very great rabbi and the entirety of his teaching pretty much falls into the Dharma effortlessly. It is no coincidence that Jesus was born 500 years after the Wheel had been turned. Specifically the beginning of the New Testament is very favorable to Jesus, from a Buddhist perspective. Fasting in the woods, being tempted by Mara, healing people and preaching love, compassion, giving, and temperance. Pretty standard Buddhism.

From a Mahayanist perspective Jesus is clearly a manifestation of Bodhisattvas (Enlightenment Beings representing Buddhanature). At the very least, I'm confident he was a truthful teacher who was close to god, and may have indeed been a bodhisatta.

An interesting post, although I think you may be overstating some things.

When I was younger, I was very interested in "The Jefferson Bible". Are you at all familiar with it?

• I've never been Christian, despite my Christian parents, being in churches, and growing up for a few years at the Baptist College of Florida. Never have I even for one second felt Christian.

An interesting post, although I think you may be overstating some things.

When I was younger, I was very interested in "The Jefferson Bible". Are you at all familiar with it?

No I haven't. Do you mind?
    Are you asking if I would tell you about it?
  • vinlyn said:

Are you asking if I would tell you about it?

Yes please.
    I asked because "do you mind" can have a completely different connotation, too. :)

Thomas Jefferson felt that even the New Testament contained way too much "stuff" that was not based on Jesus' direct teachings. So, he tried to hire/convince several Christian scholars of the day to write a New Testament that would contain only what could fairly reasonably be attributed directly to Jesus. No one wanted to work on the project. So, finally Jefferson undertook to do it himself. The result is a very, very short book (maybe a half-hour read, at most) of what Jefferson attributed (rightfully or wrongfully) directly to Jesus.

It sure does simplify Christianity!
    CloudRebeccaS
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @vinlyn, Oooh I want to read that.
    It's kinda fun, although I don't think Jefferson got it quite right. But I always thought that gee...if we could just get that much right, what a great world it would be.
    andyrobyn
  • @vinlyn
    Don't forget the Buddhist landscape and its various schools of thought and interpretations, and the struggles between them. It is actually quite complicated actually especially in the U.S.
    son_of_dhamma
  • edited August 2012
    For the most part I'm agnostic but I find myself leaning more towards belief in God
    I feel though that my philosophy and way of living is that of someone who leans more towards buddhism which Is why I have chosen this practice=]
  • edited August 2012
    I'm not sure myself. Grew up Christian, but the last 7 years I have found myself becoming more spiritual and less religious (not that I was ever real religious or spiritual). I found that Buddhism is more congruent with my beliefs. I sometimes wonder if Jesus would even recognize Christianity today. If/when he returns, he'll probably say something like, "You thought I meant WHAT?" Of the holy trinity, I find the Holy Spirit to be the most tangible to me and the most often overlooked element by Christianity.
    MaryAnneKundo
  • I am asking this question in all sincerity, with no intent to antagonize anyone on either side of the fence....

If one is a Christian, and even going so far as to self-describe as a "very devout" or "orthodox Christian", I'm wondering- what attracts you to a Buddhist website/forum?

Is it just for--
    Curiosity? (there are so many informational websites for that)
    Conversation with Buddhists?
    Some sort of reverse validation or judgement regarding a comparison to your own beliefs and practices?

I don't understand what draws people strongly attached to one faith into the forums of other faiths.

MaryAnne said:

I am asking this question in all sincerity, with no intent to antagonize anyone on either side of the fence....

If one is a Christian, and even going so far as to self-describe as a "very devout" or "orthodox Christian", I'm wondering- what attracts you to a Buddhist website/forum?

Is it just for--
    Curiosity? (there are so many informational websites for that)
    Conversation with Buddhists?
    Some sort of reverse validation or judgement regarding a comparison to your own beliefs and practices?

I don't understand what draws people strongly attached to one faith into the forums of other faiths.

1. Wisdom is where you find it.
    2. For me, no single religion has all the answers (or wisdom).

To be honest, I look at it in the opposite way that you do. Why lock yourself in to only one source of wisdom?

• vinlyn said:

1. Wisdom is where you find it.
    2. For me, no single religion has all the answers (or wisdom).

To be honest, I look at it in the opposite way that you do. Why lock yourself in to only one source of wisdom?

I agree, why lock yourself into only one source of wisdom.... but that's not really answering my question as to why devout, secure Christians would want to be in any non-Christian discussion forum.

One can always read about Buddhism or any religion; its basic rules, foundations of beliefs, mythology, etc on websites and in books anywhere. Just gathering knowledge about any religion is fairly easy in this day and age of technology and internet.

But unless one is seeking and actively anticipating a conversion upon finding something 'better' or more suitable as a spiritual path, why be a participant in discussion forums for members of other religions?

Well, upon thinking about this deeper- I'm beginning to realize that there is a teeny tiny bit of 'suspicion' on my part. Because, no matter where one goes and how far away from a Christian atmosphere, Faith-based Christian thinking and permeation one thinks they are.... It seems like it so often becomes a part of many things we do and many conversations we have. I sometimes feel like it's inescapable.
    (I'm not speaking only of this forum, specifically, but of things/situations in general).

So OK, I guess this might be only my issue then.... I'll work through it to one end or another.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    I get what your saying MaryAnne.

If the basis of your practise is evangelical in nature, is that your purpose in visiting the sites of non-believers. How much of your presence here is part of a missionary practise?
    Of course I thought the "over weight" thread showed that evangelism is in no way limited to relgous practises.
    But...
    In the end, if newbuddhist.com only accepted agenda free submissions, lincoln would still be outside Nirvana's door, cap in hand, looking for that 1st posting to start with.
  • @MaryAnne

I wondered about the same thing. As long as the participation is respectful, I think it's a welcome spice :)
    son_of_dhamma
  • @MaryAnne

That's fair. This is a very important concern.

To hopefully keep things simple and direct here is where I'm coming from:

*I was a Buddhist for twenty years prior so I do feel a kinship. We are one human race.
    *I do read Buddhist books, but I'm a person and they are not.
    *I like talking to Buddhist. My brother in-law converted to Buddhism.
    *There are many doctrinal differences in Buddhism than most people are aware of.
    *Buddhism has not failed me, and I harbor no animosity toward the “Faith” and its varied traditions.
    *Buddhism without faith in the Buddha's enlightenment is just a philosophy.
    *Faith or conviction grows with experience.
    *Experience is personal.
    *Ignorance is not bliss.
    *Where you are right now is where you should be at that given moment, and what you do with it is key.
    *I suffer from social anxiety disorder, and I'm grateful and thank God for it.
    *I had a suspicion that because of the negative experiences of members, with people from various other Christian traditions, maybe even from my own, there would be a tendency to package us all in that same negative light.
    *I had a suspicion that others have a tendency to try to contain an ineffable and limitless God, or proclaim having an understanding of God better than anyone from the varied traditions.
    *I was expecting to find some open minded and receptive members, and I did.
    *I was expecting to penetrate deeper into the mysteries of my own faith through dialog and discussion with other people, and I did.
    *My relationship with my neighbor defines my relationship with God.
    *I have not realized my person-hood fully
    *I'm tired and its time for bed.

In the spirit of promoting mutual acceptance, understanding, and respect yes I'm evangelical.

Are there a more appropriate inter faith dialogue websites available? If you know of any please let me know. Perhaps it is better that I limit the discussions I'm involved with to the comparative religion category, and topics about Christianity. Would this be agreeable?

P.S.
    @BoatS
    If you would like to continue our discussion on the origin of thoughts please set up a topic under the comparative religion category. Though tonight I must get some rest.

Forgive me.
    lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Silouan
    Perhaps you don't need to hear this but...just in case.
    I would not interpret a broad question on Christian evangelism to mean anyone here wants to limit your input. .

There are a bunch of other folks here who also view themselves as Christian and that diversity of input helps prevent the rest of us from snoozing on our Buddhist laurels.

I think we are all here to share & learn.
    son_of_dhamma
  • @Silouan
    I agree with @how
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    @Seph
    Maybe a better way for me to explain it would be to tie it into the acupuncturist concept of Qi. A vital life energy that flows within my body. My concept of God would be the same except that this source of Qi would be the vital energy that flows within the universe. I'm told that this Qi within our bodies cannot be measured or seen under a microscope (which normally would at least cause me to raise a skeptical eyebrow), but I cannot argue with the results I have experienced with acupuncture. I have no problem accepting the possibility of this same sort of energy that permeates the universe.

The concept of God that I hold onto is definitely not a Judao-Christian one.
    So would it be fair to say that you believe in a sort of universal Qi? I'm not clear why there is a need to bring the word "God" into it - "God" has become almost meaningless because it is thought of in so many different ways by different people.
    son_of_dhamma
    @how
    ....snoozing on our Buddhist laurels.
    I quite like doing that from time to time though :p
  • SephSeph Veteran

@Seph

Maybe a better way for me to explain it would be to tie it into the acupuncturist concept of Qi. A vital life energy that flows within my body. My concept of God would be the same except that this source of Qi would be the vital energy that flows within the universe. I'm told that this Qi within our bodies cannot be measured or seen under a microscope (which normally would at least cause me to raise a skeptical eyebrow), but I cannot argue with the results I have experienced with acupuncture. I have no problem accepting the possibility of this same sort of energy that permeates the universe.

The concept of God that I hold onto is definitely not a Judao-Christian one.
    So would it be fair to say that you believe in a sort of universal Qi? I'm not clear why there is a need to bring the word "God" into it - "God" has become almost meaningless because it is thought of in so many different ways by different people.

There is a 'need' to bring in the word "God" only because of this conversation.
    I agree, it can be a dangerous thing using the word "God" because it means so many things to so many people.

Yes, I believe in a sort of universal Qi. Extremely like the Tao, if not one in the same.

..."God" has become almost meaningless because it is thought of in so many different ways by different people.

Be careful! How many different sects of Buddhism are there? How many different viewpoints about various topics do the Buddhists of this forum express?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @MaryAnne....I have had this same thought, many times.
    For reference points, mainly or to help me gage one's intentions.
    But to be honest, once the admins acknowledged that there
    were Muslims here, I just made note, and adjusted accordingly.

Im not saying that's bad, I'm saying that I am very mindfull
    that Im not always speaking to Buddhists on here.

My Christian friends sure dont have Buddhists pop up
    in their small groups, for 'wisdom', and then say Be Careful
    when talking about Buddha!!! lolololololol
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Vastminds said:

Yeah, I guess that's kind of where I am coming from also....
    For more than 35 years I was very active in the Pagan/Wiccan communities, both on line and in real life. We never forbade Christians or people of other faiths (or even no faith) from joining forums, chat rooms or what have you. We didn't mind answering questions, or giving information, and we certainly encouraged the opportunity to dispel many myths and misconceptions regarding Paganism.

But honestly, inevitably, sooner or later, there were often clashes, disagreements or claims of 'offense' from one side or the other once discussions got too "one sided" either way. We many times ended up having to assess non-pagans' motivations for joining our group and take action (or take no action), accordingly.

Yet, in all that time, I never once considered going into a Christian chat room or forum to 'pick their brains' or gather wisdom, nor give my opinions or angles on Christianity as I saw it... no matter how much I knew of the Bible or the religion.
    (And I was raised in a Christian/Catholic family, so I'm no stranger to the faith, either).
    I just can't imagine or justify a reason I would personally do that. ::: shrugs:::

So I was curious and wondered about the Christians among us here, and why they found a Buddhist forum interesting enough to participate long term.

Just curious -- No more, no less.

son_of_dhamma
  • MaryAnne said:

Vastminds said:

Yeah, I guess that's kind of where I am coming from also....
    For more than 35 years I was very active in the Pagan/Wiccan communities, both on line and in real life. We never forbade Christians or people of other faiths (or even no faith) from joining forums, chat rooms or what have you. We didn't mind answering questions, or giving information, and we certainly encouraged the opportunity to dispel many myths and misconceptions regarding Paganism.

But honestly, inevitably, sooner or later, there were often clashes, disagreements or claims of 'offense' from one side or the other once discussions got too "one sided" either way. We many times ended up having to assess non-pagans' motivations for joining our group and take action (or take no action), accordingly.

Yet, in all that time, I never once considered going into a Christian chat room or forum to 'pick their brains' or gather wisdom, nor give my opinions or angles on Christianity as I saw it... no matter how much I knew of the Bible or the religion.
    (And I was raised in a Christian/Catholic family, so I'm no stranger to the faith, either).
    I just can't imagine or justify a reason I would personally do that. ::: shrugs:::

So I was curious and wondered about the Christians among us here, and why they found a Buddhist forum interesting enough to participate long term.

Just curious -- No more, no less.

Me too. But mostly its been other stuff. I hope it becomes more on topic. I'm always interested because I always live in Christian society.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2012
    **deleted - I just realised it was baffling with bullshit and of no value to the discussion :)

Having said that - I am firmly of the belief of each to their own. Our spiritual paths are ours to walk and we should neither hinder nor denigrate the path of another. I think it'[s great that Christians can come here and be able to discuss and learn and vice versa.

For the record, I am an Orthodox Jew who found Buddhism helped me through a nasty divorce and I find following (or rather TRYING to follow) the Noble Eightfold Path helps me to be more mindful of being a better Jew (if that makes sense).

I can also understand @MaryAnne's POV as I too was involved in Paganism for nearly 20 years and was subject to bouts of attempts at conversion after seemingly well intentioned conversations. But I haven't witnessed that here thus far.

In metta,
    Raven
    vinlyn
    vinlyn said:

..."God" has become almost meaningless because it is thought of in so many different ways by different people.

Be careful! How many different sects of Buddhism are there? How many different viewpoints about various topics do the Buddhists of this forum express?
    It doesn't change my point though.
  • I was a Catholic and on becoming " Buddhist " rejected all that.
    Then I discovered Thomas Merton and Bede Griffith and stopped caring about the packaging.
    vinlyn
  • In general, even though Orthodox Christians believe the fullness of truth is to be found in our religion, as do many Buddhists of their own, we do recognize that there are elements of truth to be found in other religions too, including Wicca, and we aren't necessary uptight or intolerant as many would make of most Christians.

We have converts from every imaginable religion even from those that had practiced the "dark arts", and this is not done through brow beating or condemning people to hell, but by just accepting people as they are.

Personally, I was searching for a Buddhist and Christian interfaith forum, and stumbled upon this one. I wasn't intending to join until I saw some comparative religion discussions and then read some rather seething negative comments directed at Christians, and let's be honest they were all over this forum. Having been a former Buddhist I was taken aback by the attitude. You have many Buddhists on this site that are quite vocal in opposition to harboring the negative attitude, and I think things are changing.

I do think it is an unfortunate fact that Christians are largely stereo typed and thrown into the same mold, but I think I have a better understand now about why, and this has helped me to become more compassionate for those that are currently attached to this attitude. It’s only temporary and things change. I'm thankful that this forum as helped me so for me I think I needed to participate.

So if you are still having a problem with people of other faiths on the forum what does your karma tell you?
    vinlynKundo
  • I must admit not having time to study the Philokalia and other great mystical works
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philokalia

I would rather be a good Christian mystic, than a half hearted Buddhist.
    . . . However I will grab wisdom, however it manifests . . . :clap:
    Silouan
  • I believe I am getting to a point in my practice that I don't need to be associated with any labels, it just doesn't matter. Everyone should practice the way they see is best for their own inner personal development and leave it that.

Thank you for all the fine teachings that were presented in this post.
  • SileSile Veteran
    It's natural to talk about the things in our past that weren't working for us, failed us, or even harmed us. For many, there is pain associated with some things from our Christian (or other religious) past. I think it's healthy to talk about it to a point, but always keep in mind advice such as the Dalai Lama's to refrain from loudly criticizing ones former religion after choosing the Buddhist path.

I think it's the "loud" that's in question here - because this is a Buddhist forum, there's a certain expectation of a quiet, private conversation, where one can talk freely about what brought one to the Buddhist path. If on the other hand we were all going to a Christian forum, for example, and criticizing Christianity--that I would definitely consider "loud" and unproductive. But it should be possible to have honest discussion about our views toward Christianity and other religions, whether those views are positive or negative.

Certainly, not all hues of Christianity are unfriendly towards Buddhism, nor is all criticism of Christianity meant as a blanket condemnation of Christians. Discussing all these issues is a great example of interfaith dialogue in action, imo.
    vinlynCittalobsterSilouan