Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

: What do you think of 1st USA Presidential Debate?

Mitt Romney dominated the debates. It all started when Mitt basically told Jim Lehrer that he is going to basically be fired if he was elected. Now he killed the moderator and he goes on the attack on Obama. I have not see Obama offering counter moves against Romney. Obama just sit there and took it.

I got annoyed with both candidates when they BOTH agree to like both their ideas Obama doesn't want to cut corporate taxes. Obama believe corporate taxes are too high and the free-markets are the good damn thing on Earth. Hell he basically admitted that the progressive side of his party is not have his own interest.

With Mitt, his big down turn he agreed with a lot of Obama policies on education, health, and medicare. He basically annoyed the right wing of his party.

This debate shows that Mitt is ready to fight fight hard. If Obama is going to win. He better damn fight back.

As for Debates: It's Mitt: 1 and Obama: 0

This was basically Jim Lehrer tonight:

Comments

• hmm... This sounds somewhat reminiscent of Kerry's weak performance facing Bush. It sounds strange, and worrisome.

Obama said corporate taxes are too high? Really?? But you said Obama doesn't want to cut corporate taxes. Could you clarify your post? It's difficult to read.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Damn I should have proof read it. :/ Too late to edit it.

The transcript:
    "When it comes to our tax code, Governor Romney and I both agree that our corporate tax rate is too high, so I want to lower it, particularly for manufacturing, taking it down to 25 percent." ~ President Obama

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57525691/transcript-first-2012-presidential-debate-part-1/

• B5C said:

The transcript:
    "When it comes to our tax code, Governor Romney and I both agree that our corporate tax rate is too high, so I want to lower it, particularly for manufacturing, taking it down to 25 percent." ~ President Obama

I think I'm going to be ill. :p

How much sense does it make to have opposing candidates agree on major policy issues? What's the point of having two parties, then? WTF?? Thanks for the link, maybe watching it will clarify some things for me. I really don't get it--keep lowering taxes? Yeah, that's the way to fix the economy! :rolleyes: This is insane.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Maybe if they made corporations PAY the taxes they are supposed to, we wouldn't have to worry about raising OR lowering them. When we have a 30%+ tax rate and they still don't pay any taxes, what good is lowering or raising it going to do for either side? When a company like GM can pay negative taxes, the system is busted.

What I think of the debates: Obama better grow a pair if he wants to win. I hope to see a different Obama at the next debate. Some claims by his campaign about why he didn't bring up some important points, or counter Romney were "Obama is a gentleman." Well, a Gone with the Wind attitude isn't going to win the election. It's not his personality at stake, it's our country.
    lamaramadingdongMaryAnne
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I watched it and thought it was basically a tie, which I supposed made it a win for Romney. Then I listened to some of the commentary about it and apparently Romney dominated, who knew?
  • I think the last debate, closest to voting day is the one that counts most. The American voters have a notoriously short memory! That's been proven over and over again so many times it's practically written in stone.

I'm not going to pretend I wasn't very very disappointed in Obama's performance last night, because I certainly was. But more than that disappointment- I was SHOCKED at how Romney came out guns blazing and sounding like he was hopped up on Honey BooBoo's Go-Go juice! LOL
    I mean, he was practically foaming at the mouth, he couldn't say stuff fast enough!
    Oh he "dominated" alright, no doubt.

But what did he actually SAY? Not much. Not much at all......

and the few truly declarative statements he did make? (Like cutting PBS funding, the arts and children's programming, and denying his 5 trillion dollar tax cuts) well, I didn't like what he DID say, anyway.

He got his "win" with this one. He played it well. His supporters are energized - just like Mitt was last night. But I still have my fingers crossed that Obama will shine through in the last debate on FOREIGN POLICY, WOMEN'S ISSUES, POVERTY, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and support for the middle class. Mitt has no interest in any of those things. He views America as a "corporation" - for profit.

jessie70
  • Didn't watch it :) Glad to hear Romney is doing well though.
  • SileSile Veteran
    It was a little weird, but I trust that Obama and his team had their reasons. He's a smart man; I have a hard time conceiving of him failing to plan, so I assume it was a calculated approach. Maybe not as good a strategy, in the end, as they'd planned? Dunno, but I wonder whether they may have something so big in their pocket against Romney at this point that it just doesn't matter? It is curious, to be sure.
    On the plus side, Romney made himself look self-important while he ran right over Jim Lehrer and no one was amused with his lack of following the rules. Moderators need the ability to enforce the rules if the candidates aren't going to follow them on their own.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I really want to be excited about these debates, but they're such shams that it's hard to give a shit, let alone get excited. Instead of substantive debates including all the candidates who are on enough state ballots to mathematically have a chance of winning the election in which they have to answer tough questions, offer concrete proposals, and seriously debate their respective policies and political philosophies, we essentially get scripted, two-hour long bullshit fests. Maybe if they at least made it more like Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!!...

In my opinion, the most substantive thing that came out of yesterdays's debate was a new Big Bird meme.
    zombiegirl
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Also, I agree that Lehrer was a terrible moderator. He let Romney walk all over him the entire night. It was painful to watch.
    MaryAnne
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    person said:

I watched it and thought it was basically a tie, which I supposed made it a win for Romney. Then I listened to some of the commentary about it and apparently Romney dominated, who knew?

I tend to agree -- not far off from being a tie, but I (regrettably) give the edge to Romney...which, as you say, makes it a win for him.

I will say this -- it was the most boring presidential debate I ever watched, and I was not impressed with the format.

• Obama said:
    You know, my grandmother -- some of you know -- helped to raise me. My grandparents did. My grandfather died a while back. My grandmother died three days before I was elected president. And she was fiercely independent. She worked her way up, only had a high school education, started as a secretary, ended up being the vice president of a local bank. And she ended up living alone by choice.

And the reason she could be independent was because of Social Security and Medicare. She had worked all her life, put in this money, and understood that there was a basic guarantee, a floor under which she could not go.
    For me this is the basic argument which means I'll never move to the right of politics.

I've lived in places where there is no social safety net. They look like this:

MaryAnnelamaramadingdongVastmind

Obama said:

You know, my grandmother -- some of you know -- helped to raise me. My grandparents did. My grandfather died a while back. My grandmother died three days before I was elected president. And she was fiercely independent. She worked her way up, only had a high school education, started as a secretary, ended up being the vice president of a local bank. And she ended up living alone by choice.

And the reason she could be independent was because of Social Security and Medicare. She had worked all her life, put in this money, and understood that there was a basic guarantee, a floor under which she could not go.
    For me this is the basic argument which means I'll never move to the right of politics.

I've lived in places where there is no social safety net. They look like this:

Me too. Thailand in my case.

The one thing I think Obama said that made a lot of sense -- but that was probably lost -- was that a budget expresses the values you, as a society, has.

I've been rather sickened by a new Romney ad that real compassion is making sure there are sufficient jobs out there. Yes, we all want everyone to have a decent job. But real compassion is what you do for those who don't...and not just call them one of the 47%.

PrairieGhostkarastiMaryAnnejessie70
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    From what I saw, I felt that both candidates were confused...Both not offering much difference. Will see what happens in the next two. I think OBAMA is just tired? Perhaps he is giving up? Also Romney is just a bully and a robot, but then again...OBAMA is not any better.
  • Obama isn't an acronym you know :p
    DaltheJigsawvinlyn
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

Obama isn't an acronym you know :p

Not yet it isn't! Just wait...
    RebeccaS
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I was out a bar with friends and wished I was at home watching the debate. It was one of the moments where I realized how old I am getting...

I caught the aftermath last night and they were pretty much saying the same things... a lot of people were pro-Romney and it worried me. Before last night, I really wasn't taking him very seriously... but you just never know.

I think Obama talking about cutting corporate taxes is a complicated thing... Did we forget that the government pretty much had to bail out the Big 3 a few years ago? Or do I just remember it because I live in Detroit and the auto-industry stays heavy on our minds? I certainly don't hold the answers on how to get more production in America and less overseas... but I do trust that Obama's heart is in the right place. Could be misguided... but I definitely am not a fan of Romney, the guy who, while giving a speech in WI, laughed about closing plants in Detroit. Oh the problems of the rich, trying to make the peons forget about how you destroyed their jobs...
  • karasti said:

...What I think of the debates: Obama better grow a pair if he wants to win. I hope to see a different Obama at the next debate...

You will.

Don't forget that it was his 20th wedding anniversary. It's nice to see a situation where Love still trumps politics and money.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Please listen to four minute clip.. Bill Hicks on presidency.

youtube.com/watch?v=KJPwM8nehkQ

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I had to lower the air conditioner some with all that hot air blowing around. These politicians are hard on my electric bill!
  • Mitt basically lied his way through much of the debate**, or the same, he pulled the wool over the eyes of the press.

Mitt's task was to pander to the independent voter—sort of looking like a Democrat, but one short on specific details. For example. how does lowering taxes get us out of a depression? Bush tried it and it failed.

The only way to get out of a depression is for the government and private industry to invest substantially in the economy. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know anything about economics.

**http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/romneys-sick-joke/
  • B5C:
    Mitt Romney dominated the debates.
    I thought this was only the first debate. Do you know something we don't?
  • Mitt made it clear that he was going to invest in military spending in order to save jobs. Is military spending going to help the economy and save jobs? That is the question.
  • ^ isn't it amazing how social programs, tax deductions for middle class and lower income people, and other tax benefits (about 1% of the entire budget) must all be cut- to help with the balancing of the budget / reducing debt - but yet our bloated military budget, the largest military budget IN THE WHOLE WORLD BY FAR, which accounts for like 1/3 our national budget gets expanded again ?? That alone is a disgusting piece of business Mitt just drools over accomplishing.
    driedleafJeffrey
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm on page 9ish of the transcript and I'm not yet seeing where Romney is winning - was it more personal style than facts? I'm on a download limit here so I'm not watching the video.

Also, why is it that every politician talks about small businesses, when the trend has been to ever larger globalised corporations swallowing up their competitors, often purchasing them merely to put them out of business, or running at a loss in their local markets for the same purpose? Monopolies and cartels as far as the eye can see.
  • I'm on page 9ish of the transcript and I'm not yet seeing where Romney is winning - was it more personal style than facts? I'm on a download limit here so I'm not watching the video.

Reading the transcripts just can't do the 'atmosphere' and hyped energy level (of Romney's, at least) any justice. I suggest you watch the entire thing on YouTube or somewhere like that..... Romney was just about frothing at the mouth and steamrolling right over the rules and moderator.

I'm on page 9ish of the transcript and I'm not yet seeing where Romney is winning - was it more personal style than facts? I'm on a download limit here so I'm not watching the video.

Also, why is it that every politician talks about small businesses, when the trend has been to ever larger globalised corporations swallowing up their competitors, often purchasing them merely to put them out of business, or running at a loss in their local markets for the same purpose? Monopolies and cartels as far as the eye can see.

I don't think you can judge it with a transcript.

Historically, people who listened to the Kennedy-Nixon debate on the radio felt that Nixon won decisively. Those who watched it on television (the majority) felt Kennedy won decisively.
    MaryAnne said:

Reading the transcripts just can't do the 'atmosphere' and hyped energy level (of Romney's, at least) any justice. I suggest you watch the entire thing on YouTube or somewhere like that..... Romney was just about frothing at the mouth and steamrolling right over the rules and moderator.

Except Obama talked 4 minutes more than Romney.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

driedleafJasonzombiegirljessie70
  • Vinlyn:

Yes, most communication is non-verbal. But it's what they're actually going to do that matters, and in the contest of ideas, judging the transcript, I feel I'm essentially hearing two men who feel they don't have many options splitting hairs to define their differences to the electorate.
    Neither of them really said much of anything surprising, but Romney was very forceful, aggressive, even rude in interrupting the moderator several times. Instead of answering questions, he gave speeches. His voice and his body language were very "guns blazing" and Obama's voice and body language was very much one of absorbing Romney's blows, IMO anyhow. Obama owned McCain during the debates 4 years ago. That was not the Obama that was at the podium last night. But I agree with whoever said I think he's a smart man and likely has a plan. I hope he has a plan...
    The moderator is getting a lot heavy criticism today, but I think at least part of the problem is the format for this debate.

Yeah, I think so. I consider myself reasonably informed on the issues and the reality of the candidates claims, so for me I was paying more attention to the substance than the style. Judging more on style points I can see why Romney would have gotten a better reception among voters as he was generally more forceful and energetic.
  • http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/04/obama-didnt-lose-debate-romney-didnt-win/

Interesting analysis. Maybe in his heart, Obama doesn't want to win. 'What's in it for me?' he may be wondering.
  • Before there was TV, people focused on the rhetoric.. now we look at how they "present". it's terrible, because they can hire an actor to "present"- it's the policies that an administration will make that matter. That is what affects individuals, not how forcefully and confidently they argue, how good they look, but the outcomes of the bills they sign, the laws they pass, the justices they appoint, etc. That is what shapes this country.
    I don't need to watch a debate to know their platforms. I can view their voting history- and yes, you can certainly make certain assumptions based on party lines. These candidates don't tend to stray beyond their party platform. Look at what happened to Ron Paul. So it boils down to what you believe will work as a policy, and most people already know that... the "swing" voters are the ones looking to be convinced by their speech patterns, vocal quality, eye contact, tie color, hairline...whatever... because they are not *thinking* about what makes sense, but trying to go with a gut feeling or something.

Jeffreyperson
    edited October 2012

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/04/obama-didnt-lose-debate-romney-didnt-win/

Interesting analysis. Maybe in his heart, Obama doesn't want to win. 'What's in it for me?' he may be wondering.

When I saw fox news I was skeptical but it is from Juan Williams, he earned my respect many years ago when he hosted an NPR program that I regularly listened to. Nice to hear a big voice back up my own take.
  • I just read an interesting take on it from another forum. Someone observed that the moderator was weak, and Romney took advantage of that, and tried to steamroll Obama. Still, this observer felt that Obama won. He said Obama's going to win in a landslide anyway. I hope that's true. Seems a little bit of wishful thinking, I don't think it's going to be a slam-dunk, like it was last time.

And if Obama does win, he sure better not sell the country down the river by cutting corporate taxes, wimping out on raising taxes for the wealthy, etc. etc. We have an economy to rescue. He's got to do better in his 2nd term than in his 1st. Otherwise, the Dems will be toast in the next elections after him, unless they come up with a really strong candidate. Something they haven't shown a proclivity for in quite a long time.
    MaryAnne
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Yawn........sorry but I just find it all so blah, blah, blah. Making promises, breaking promises.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Dakini said:

Otherwise, the Dems will be toast in the next elections after him, unless they come up with a really strong candidate. Something they haven't shown a proclivity for in quite a long time.

Ahem. Hillary 2016. Official slogan, "It's scrunchie time."

Textsfromhillaryclinton.tumbler.com
    MaryAnne
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Anyone who uses the criteria of who talks loudest and longest in a 90 minute debate to make such an important decision as who to vote for is beyond help. Fortunately, history shows these debates never make much of a difference and they're all theatre for the media. The only people "undecided" or "uncertain" at this point aren't paying attention and probably couldn't find a voting booth even if they bothered.

The President was in a no-win situation, obviously. If he showed any fire at all, the press was ready to jump all over him for being "angry and defensive". And who decided Romney won? When I was in the debating team at school, it was what we said, not how we said it that won the debate. Repeating vague campaign promises while not addressing a single one of the opponent's points would have earned him a failing mark. But this is all about style over substance. We are watching to see a performance, a little passion play and waiting for those 5 second sound bites that could be marketed by one side or another.

And it's always been like this. Look back at history and you'll see political office has always been a circus. An "educated, well informed public" has never existed.

But that's just the viewpoint of an old, cynical, codger who's watched people vote against their own best interest year after year and realized what a joke it all is.

person
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Just been watching the video. Obama looks physically exhausted, or perhaps eroded.
    MaryAnne
  • @PrairieGhost

I also thought that to myself when watching the debate. I was almost surprised at how tired (and graying) he looked. The Presidency takes a huge toll on them.
    We all need to remember, Romney has had weeks to prepare for nothing else but this campaign and the debates... Obama has been busy - very busy - being president....

I also want to say THANKS GUYS! to all of you who actually give a crap and think about this process and take it seriously. Yes, even if you might not be voting for the correct guy (my guy! LOL) at least you're thinking, assessing and participating. This has given me a little Hope.

There are many people all over the world who have no choices as to how their government runs their lives. We are lucky. It's a huge pain in the butt, and it doesn't always go as we like, or it takes forever to make big changes... but we're still lucky.

Cinorjer said:

Anyone who uses the criteria of who talks loudest and longest in a 90 minute debate to make such an important decision as who to vote for is beyond help. Fortunately, history shows these debates never make much of a difference and they're all theatre for the media. The only people "undecided" or "uncertain" at this point aren't paying attention and probably couldn't find a voting booth even if they bothered.

The President was in a no-win situation, obviously. If he showed any fire at all, the press was ready to jump all over him for being "angry and defensive". And who decided Romney won? When I was in the debating team at school, it was what we said, not how we said it that won the debate. Repeating vague campaign promises while not addressing a single one of the opponent's points would have earned him a failing mark. But this is all about style over substance. We are watching to see a performance, a little passion play and waiting for those 5 second sound bites that could be marketed by one side or another.

But that's just the viewpoint of an old, cynical, codger who's watched people vote against their own best interest year after year and realized what a joke it all is.

I see your points, but this time I'm not sure I agree with all of them. I certainly agree with the idea that who the heck are these people who still haven't made up their minds? And yes, usually the debates don't change the outcome of the election, but in what appears to be a near-tie at this point, just a small swing in votes could change the outcome.

I don't think he was in a no-win situation. Remember, I'm an avid supporter of his, but I wanted him to act and speak in a presidential manner. He didn't. He rambled and droned on. Romney looked and spoke more presidential...more like a leader. And that does matter to me -- I want to know that a candidate can actually lead, and frankly I'm puzzled at how Obama turned in what was possibly his worst on-air performance, while Romney turned in an uncharacteristically good on-air performance.

Who decided Romney won? Well, several quick polls showed an overwhelming perception that he won. But you're right, this was not a formal debate in the classic sense, nor was it meant to be. After all, a classic debate structure is about proving the point you are making, whether you believe in it or not.

Last evening I had dinner and spent the evening with 3 close friends. The couple has spent at least 2 days a week for 3 months knocking on doors, registering people, and making telephone calls for Obama/Biden. I have volunteered to drive people to the pools and wrote what was (for me) a pretty hefty campaign contribution. The fourth member of our little group is a little too old (78) and a little too close to the cushion financially to do much actively, but will ardently argue in favor of Obama with the best of them. We were all disappointed and felt let down by our candidate. We all felt Romney won the debate, was uncharacteristically impressive...and a liar...but we are disheartened.

MaryAnne
  • Let me tell you... If Romney was under the pressure like Obama has been for the last 5 years, he'd fold like a cheap suit in a rainforest.
    Romney just pulled out a flash-n-dazzle performance the other night. He doesn't have the temperament, the patience, the leadership skills, nor the brain power to stand up to the job's demands and the world's pressures.
    It would be absolutely devastating (for us) not to think about this until its waaaay too late - if he's elected.
    vinlyn
    From CNN:

"The thing that this debate did is it gave people reasons to think about (a) President Romney," said John Geer, chairman of Vanderbilt University's political science department. "This often happens with challengers in the first debate. ...

According to a CNN/ORC International survey conducted immediately after the debate, 67% of registered voters who watched the debate said that the Republican nominee won...

According to an analysis by Gallup, televised debates have affected the outcome of only two elections in the past half century -- Nixon-Kennedy in 1960 and Bush-Gore in 2000..."
  • "According to an analysis by Gallup, televised debates have affected the outcome of only two elections in the past half century -- Nixon-Kennedy in 1960 and Bush-Gore in 2000..."

OMG!! Nixon and Bush II -- The two worst presidents in the last 100 years!! Why are you trying to scare me, Vin?? :eek:
    LOL...actually, other than Watergate, I grudgingly give Nixon some credit.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Nixon, other than being paranoid. He was pretty good moderate Republican president.