Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment is impossible

without becoming a monk. That's the conclusion I've come to. When we are in the world, our minds cannot but think of the things of the world - study, work, pay bills, and all the rest. Only after renouncing is there no commitment - so the mind doesn't have to worry. I know people usually say, 'be in the world but not of the world.' That's like telling a soldier: stay as long as you like in the battlefield, just don't let your mind get agitated by all the bombs and missiles that fly past you.'

It just doesn't work. Buddha knew this, and that's why he encouraged asceticism. Else, he could have gone back to the palace after enlightenment, and discouraged other people to renounce as well. But he didn't. In fact, hindu tradition also maintains that once a person retires, he should go to an ashram and avoid the world.
kashipersonTheEccentric

Comments

• music said:

without becoming a monk. That's the conclusion I've come to.

It just doesn't work. Buddha knew this....

Conclusion is a funny one - you've 'concluded' in your mind but here you still are unraveling as you live!

Extrapolating your thoughts to a historical figure you never met is pretty tenuous.

Will you be ordaining as a monk shortly?
  • @Music There is some truth in what you are saying. Still, if you worry too much about whether or not you will become enlightened soon, you could run the risk of missing out on awakening into the world in front of you. You know, appreciating the moments when the delusion is somewhat diminished. Moments of clarity.
    In my case, I have just finished twenty some years of child rearing and relationship. The last thing I want to do is put my nose back to the grindstone to try to achieve enlightenment. I'll be happy with the occasional realization and a deepening appreciation for the life I have.
    BhikkhuJayasaraSilouanWisdom23
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    From what I've read and was taught, you could become a sotapanna(stream-winner) as a lay person and even possibly be enlightened, but then you'd basically automatically want to renounce and live the life of a monastic.

also the last thing you want to do is strive for enlightenment.. you'll never get there if your worried about that ;)
    mfranzdorf
  • robot said:

@Music There is some truth in what you are saying. Still, if you worry too much about whether or not you will become enlightened soon, you could run the risk of missing out on awakening into the world in front of you. You know, appreciating the moments when the delusion is somewhat diminished. Moments of clarity.
    In my case, I have just finished twenty some years of child rearing and relationship. The last thing I want to do is put my nose back to the grindstone to try to achieve enlightenment. I'll be happy with the occasional realization and a deepening appreciation for the life I have.

Some people are satisfied with that, I agree. They enjoy the simple delights of life and are satisfied with the occasional flashes of insight. But certain others, evidently a minority, want it all. Such people find the world to be a millstone tied to their necks - hence feel the need to ordain.
  • Who knows? Hahaha :)
    Jeffrey
  • I am in northern Thailand right now. It is so beautiful here. Hard to describe. The climate, the smells, the light on the mountains and fields.
    It's crawling with monks too. Doing monk things, alms rounds, sweeping and gardening down at the Wat. Coming and going. Personally, I would prefer the life of a Thai farmer. Looks like paradise to me.
    Cole_I_AM_THAT
    edited December 2012
    music said:

robot said:

@Music There is some truth in what you are saying. Still, if you worry too much about whether or not you will become enlightened soon, you could run the risk of missing out on awakening into the world in front of you. You know, appreciating the moments when the delusion is somewhat diminished. Moments of clarity.

Some people are satisfied with that, I agree. They enjoy the simple delights of life and are satisfied with the occasional flashes of insight. But certain others, evidently a minority, want it all. Such people find the world to be a millstone tied to their necks - hence feel the need to ordain.
    haha, sounds like me.. when you develope enough dispassion for what everyone else feels is normal.. you want to find a way out. I've always felt a certain dissatisfaction with many "normal" things in life even going back to childhood.. now I know what that is... I feel I was probably a monastic in a former life, or destined to become one in this life
    Cole_
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

Enlightenment is impossible without becoming a monk. That's the conclusion I've come to...

It just doesn't work. Buddha knew this, and that's why he encouraged asceticism.

But at the same time, there are many stories in the Pali Canon, which are taken to be the Buddha's own words, which clearly show literally thousands of laypersons getting enlightenment. Are you aware that your conclusion contradicts traditional Buddhist scriptures?

Good article here. :)
    Although there are about 3,000 lay sotapannas (stream enterer) mentioned in the Pali Canon, at least 90 lay sakadagamis (once-returner), at least 500 lay anagamis (non-returner), and about 21 lay arahants mentioned in the Pali Canon, there are far more monastic monks and nuns mentioned as reaching full enlightenment. This appears to be due to the fact of the life of renunciation of monastics, which is more conducive to the highest noble states. http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Lay_arahant
    The Buddha encouraged, and did not discourage, people to become monks because it is more conducive to enlightment, not because it's impossible without doing so. The Buddha never anywhere said it is impossible.

:)
  • Living your life whatever occurs moment to moment with contentment and gratefulness is enlightenment.

The hope for the world to change in the future, or trying to escape it results in a constant struggle with dissatisfaction and all its trappings.

It is as simple as that.
    Niwalenstavros388
  • Seeker, those times were different. Even lay people had time, lived a slow paced life, and didnt have much to worry about (except for the occasional plague or draught). Today, just about everything causes stress - personal life, social life, professional life, politics, everything. That's why I feel maybe one should seriously consider the alternative.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @music -- Your approach as stated is common enough. Hang in there -- practice whatever you practice -- and you will outgrow it.

At the very least, please consider what "enlightenment" might be. Is it simply what others say in one bit or scripture or another? Sure, scripture may hint, but until you personally know what you're talking about, how sensible is it to talk about it? This is not a rhetorical question; it's not something I know the answer to and you don't; it's just a literal question.

In one sense, monks and nuns carry the banner of Buddhism. They can be quite nice people. They dress Buddhist, talk Buddhist and sometimes even practice Buddhist. They are exemplars. But exemplars of WHAT? If what they exemplify were open only to a select few, how useful or true could Buddhism possibly be? Is the meaning of Buddhist temples and monasteries found in some great big wonderful institution ... a sort of Vatican in disguise?

If you want to be a monk, go ahead. If you don't want to be a monk, go ahead. Isn't the attention and responsibility invested in going-ahead the point? If some great big brass ring called "enlightenment" is the goal ... well, isn't this like shooting yourself in the foot until you know, experientially, what "enlightenment" might be?

Sure, a little imaginative belief and hope move a decent practice forward for a while. But it's the practice that counts, isn't it? Halos and holiness don't work very well: Ask any decent monk or nun.

Just thinking out loud here. No biggie.
  • Why does enlightenment depend on a simple life? And for clarity, what is a simple life?
  • I think some people are more interested in running away from the world than reaching enlightenment.
    Daiva
  • Be careful of having "conclusions." They must all be let go to share in enlightement
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

I think some people are more interested in running away from the world than reaching enlightenment.

It depends what you mean by "the world".
    ;)
  • RebeccaS said:

I think some people are more interested in running away from the world than reaching enlightenment.

It depends what you mean by "the world".
    ;)
    Isn't the world just the world? I don't think it's really up for interpretation :lol:
    Citta
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Saying that only monks can become enlightened is akin to the Hindu belief that only Brahmins are able to escape the cycle of reincarnation; a belief that Buddha was against. Or that only priests can get into heaven.

Everyone has the innate ability to become a Buddha. Everyone.
    Jeffrey
  • In a talk I heard, given by the Venerable Ani Tenzin Palmo, on the wisdom of emptiness, she certainly suggested that in at least one respect lay people have an advantage compared to monastic practitioners. She said "it's easy to remain peaceful when there's nothing to push our buttons." She explained the real challenge and therefore opportunity for growth for lay people is that there are plenty of things that "push our buttons."

Monastics on average certainly have a greater amount of time available to them to practice than do lay practitioners. However, who is put to the test more often? And who said that "time" is that great an issue. It is all empty. "Form is emptiness; emptiness is form." Buddhism is empty. It is ALL empty. It's also like Einstein said, "Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Solidifying the idea that a monastic life is the only way to enlightenment is only trying to solidify a concept which will be one more chain binding you to samsara. Don't worry so much, just be present. Have an experience of emptiness.

Words and thoughts are empty just like the rest. Experience this
  • How @RebeccaS perceives and defines the world may be different from me, but the message when applied to my own experience still rings true, and in that way I know exactly what she means.
    Niwalen
  • music said:

without becoming a monk. That's the conclusion I've come to. When we are in the world, our minds cannot but think of the things of the world - study, work, pay bills, and all the rest. Only after renouncing is there no commitment - so the mind doesn't have to worry. I know people usually say, 'be in the world but not of the world.' That's like telling a soldier: stay as long as you like in the battlefield, just don't let your mind get agitated by all the bombs and missiles that fly past you.'

It just doesn't work. Buddha knew this, and that's why he encouraged asceticism. Else, he could have gone back to the palace after enlightenment, and discouraged other people to renounce as well. But he didn't. In fact, hindu tradition also maintains that once a person retires, he should go to an ashram and avoid the world.

I actually agree with you 100%....my personal issue is always "should I stay single?" Because same thing as being in the world, you have to commit to this person, spend time with them and everything else and therefore you have even less time to focus on the Buddhas teachings. Like you said the Buddha could have gone back to the palace to be with his family, but no...his son became a monk as well. So its pretty obvious that once someone is enlightend they have cut off all attachments to the world, and being in a relationship is just another hindrance.
    People from other branches of buddhism will def disagree with us and keep saying "be in the world but not of it"...well, we all choose what we believe in, but I too say its not possible to be enlightend unless you become a monk.
    music
  • edited December 2012
    @genkaku, it is not as simple as making a choice. I am not a worldly person, but neither have I the strength to be an ascetic. In short, I feel like Paul in Romans 7:15. It is like one is caught between worlds. It is exhausting.
  • DaftChris said:

Saying that only monks can become enlightened is akin to the Hindu belief that only Brahmins are able to escape the cycle of reincarnation; a belief that Buddha was against. Or that only priests can get into heaven.

Also what did the Buddha say as he was dying? He said, "Therefore, be lamps unto yourselves, be a refuge to yourselves. Hold fast to Truth as a lamp; hold fast to the truth as a refuge. Look not for a refuge in anyone beside yourselves. And those, who shall be a lamp unto themselves, shall betake themselves to no external refuge, but holding fast to the Truth as their lamp, and holding fast to the Truth as their refuge, they shall reach the topmost height."

The monastic life was born into this world. It surely is a good thing that was created out of compassion. But was it not also created out of attachment to the Buddha? It is a simulation of the way the Buddha and his disciples lived. But how many monks are taught by Buddhas? When the Buddha said to have "no external refuge," he didn't say, "oh except for a monastery; you'll need that."

The Buddha taught that all beings have the capacity for enlightenment, so where are the monasteries for insects?

I mean no offense, I merely would like to point out that holding to the view that only monks can be enlightened is an attachment like any other, and not at all what the Buddha taught.

• music said:

@genkaku, it is not as simple as making a choice. I am not a worldly person, but neither have I the strength to be an ascetic. In short, I feel like Paul in Romans 7:15. It is like one is caught between worlds. It is exhausting.

Man...that sounds a lot like myself =(
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    robot said:

I am in northern Thailand right now. It is so beautiful here. Hard to describe. The climate, the smells, the light on the mountains and fields.
    It's crawling with monks too. Doing monk things, alms rounds, sweeping and gardening down at the Wat. Coming and going. Personally, I would prefer the life of a Thai farmer. Looks like paradise to me.

I know a Thai farmer and his family very well. They live out in Sung Noen in Issan. They're wonderful people. But trust me, you wouldn't want to be a Thai farmer. These folks do have a decent house (by Thai standards) and have a beat-up old pickup truck. But he works very long hours in the rice fields...which he doesn't own by the way...sort of leave/profit situation. One season he was sick...whole rice crop gone. Another season the weather was terrible...whole rice crop gone. The only way they made it through was by their son (my ex) sending money back from Bangkok. Several of them are not at all healthy, but really cannot afford appropriate medical care. I could go on. It may look idyllic. It is not.

pommesetoranges
  • Enlightenment is impossible for most people because they think it is possible from their present delusionary condition. In other words they expect to transcend without changing . . .

Spontaneous unfoldment does occasionally occur . . . good luck with that and the lottery . . .

What changes do we need in place to allow the possibility of enlightenment?
    Firstly calmness and acceptance, a troubled mind is too busy chasing its own tail or other tales . . .
    Then we have to follow a path, teacher and practice that creates a steadfast grounding.
    Then we have to start changing what we can to accord with the enlightened mindset.
    If sincere, dedicated and diligent enlightenment may happen.

Each person reading this can do that. Monkery is not required . . . come to that even enlightenment is not required . . . just craved . . .

:wave:
    dropletJeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

Seeker, those times were different. Even lay people had time, lived a slow paced life, and didnt have much to worry about (except for the occasional plague or draught). Today, just about everything causes stress - personal life, social life, professional life, politics, everything. That's why I feel maybe one should seriously consider the alternative.

True that times were different. But I doubt very much that you will find any modern still alive Buddhist scholars or teachers or even monks, that would declare it's impossible. Bhikkhu Bodhi is one of the most traditional monk scholars out there. Of course he says that it's quite helpful to be a monk but he would never say it's impossible without becoming one. And he lives in 2012 just like we do. :)

• For most people that is the case.

For those of higher capacity (not trying to sound snobby) it is possible to live in the everyday world and still go for the goal.

In Vajrayana one works inside out. Meaning the state of enlightenment is pointed out as the base right from the start. The path is building a relationship with that state and the fruit is abiding in that state permanently.

And the fullest expression in the Vajrayana is the three bodies of the Buddha, which basically is your life in its fullest meaning and expression with all the inspiration to help, while instantaneously knowing the dharmakaya.

My teacher asserts that we live in a different and interesting time. The dharma is accessible, teachers are accessible, we have more time as modern people to practice and even take vacation time to go into solitary retreats.

As all things in Buddhism. It is all dependent upon conditions.

Thus you make what you perceive. Try your best, work with your circumstances.

Or change them.

Enlightenment is very possible for anyone willing to practice, study and for those who really understand the precious opportunity one has in this lifetime. Do not underestimate bodhicitta and the power of suffering. May we all fully immerse ourselves into practice and not waste our times.
    SilouanJeffrey
  • This sutta explains the benefits of being a monk.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html
    @droplet

I'm confused. Did you think I agreed with music's post that only monks can be enlightened?

If so, that is not what I meant to convey. I was trying to say that the idea that only the religious leaders will obtain enlightenment is a little ridiculous to me. I don't believe that those in the monastic life are the only ones to escape suffering and rebirth. They have a "better chance" since they are living such a life, but they are not they only ones who can reach nirvana. Hence why I said that everyone has the chance to become a Buddha.
  • A monk once explained enlightenment to me as being without defilement. A lack of defilement in your thoughts and your actions. Watch how your emotions control your thoughts and your actions and be mindful. This can be done by anyone since in essence we are already enlightened; we just need to remove the defilements.

We interact with this world through our six senses... We developed emotions based on these senses. Look how you react to what you see, hear, smell, taste, touch, and think, and you will see what you need to be mindful of. Seeing is just seeing, Hearing is just hearing, Smelling is just smelling, Tasting is just tasting, Touching is just touching, and Thought is just thought.

How do you react when you see a rose? A corpse? Should we judge them on how we look at them (through our sight and thought)? Should we see them as being different?

You are an enlightened being... You're just to afraid to know it!
    SilouanFlorian
  • Excellent, that's it!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Tantra is the Quick path and is often practised by lay people successfully until accomplishment of full enlightenment.
    I_AM_THAT
    DaftChris said:

I don't see the correlation.. the Brahmins were born into the Brahmin caste.. people aren't born into Buddhist monkhood, they come and go into it as they please.
    edited December 2012
    Jayantha said:

DaftChris said:

I don't see the correlation.. the Brahmins were born into the Brahmin caste.. people aren't born into Buddhist monkhood, they come and go into it as they please.
    I understand they were born into that caste. I was (trying) to make the point that the view of only priests or monks being able to achieve enlightenment is a bit ridiculous to me. That ANYONE can achieve enlightenment.

DaftChris said:

Jayantha said:

DaftChris said:

I understand they were born into that caste. I was (trying) to make the point that the view of only priests or monks being able to achieve enlightenment is a bit ridiculous to me.

well we know from the suttas that there were lay people who became enlightened, so if someone holds a different view you can use the Suttas as a guide. The one thing is though that as far as I know no one became enlightened and stayed a householder, there would be no point to it, the very notion of being a householder equals attachments.
  • @Jayantha I completely disagree with that householder assessment. There is nothing wrong with our lives just our perception of it. Enlightenment isn't about being some other place than where we are at right now no matter what.
    I_AM_THATpoptartMaryAnneFlorian
  • That Jayantha is a view more often found in the Theravada than in the Vajrayana , where great teachers have often been householders..
    A case in point is one of the greatest of Vajrayana teachers, Marpa who was the teacher of the great MIlarepa..he was a farmer and was married with children.
    With realised beings like Marpa what could have been attachments are transformed into the very means of liberation.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Just because we cannot envision a householder life without attachments doesn't mean it is not possible.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    music said:

@music -- That's why we practice ... to clear up the imaginative notion that there are two worlds ... or even one.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    To me, enlightenment is not impossible, it is our natural state. I see this natural state as being clouded and obscurred by suffering. Suffering with defilements and delusions and all those things Buddhism teaches us to recognize and let go. We are not blind. We just can't yet see.
    karasti
  • I believe that eventually, renunciation of all worldly existence is necessary for finding complete liberation from suffering. The thing is, I enjoy my worldly existence. I enjoy the company of my friends, my family. I enjoy the responsibilities I have with working, school, taking care of my dog, paying my bills, pursuing my personal success in transition, pursuing my many passions and seeking and maintaining the fragile and fulfilling relationships that I have with others. Every day I see the four noble truths, I see the fleeting nature of my conditioned joys. I see the brevity of my moods and I know the turmoil associated with attachment to this world. I am just not ready to give it up, and it may be to my sad detriment to say such a thing, but it is the simple truth. The life of the homeless beggar is not one to enter upon without conviction and forethought. I will live my life one day at a time and work to perfect myself while assisting others to do the same. And when the time is ripe for my renunciation of this world, then it will be so and I will lay down the burden and know peace.
    Cole_
  • You say ordination leads to enlightenment, I say enlightenment leads to ordination.
    Florian
  • Talisman said:

I believe that eventually, renunciation of
    all worldly existence is necessary for finding complete liberation from suffering. The thing is, I enjoy my worldly existence. I enjoy the company of my friends, my family. I enjoy the responsibilities I have with working, school, taking care of my dog, paying my bills, pursuing my personal success in transition, pursuing my many passions and seeking and maintaining the fragile and fulfilling relationships that I have with others. Every day I see the four noble truths, I see the fleeting nature of my conditioned joys. I see the brevity of my moods and I know the turmoil associated with attachment to this world. I am just not ready to give it up, and it may be to my sad detriment to say such a thing, but it is the simple truth. The life of the homeless beggar is not one to enter upon without conviction and forethought. I will live my life one day at a time and work to perfect myself while assisting others to do the same. And when the time is ripe for my renunciation of this world, then it will be so and I will lay down the burden and know peace.

That is the Sutric view..it is not the Vajrayana view.
  • 'Grasping' and 'rejecting' are equally false paths. Both reflect 'ignorance of our true nature'. Together these comprise the 'Three Poisons'.

In the stories of 'Buddha' - Gotama explored both extremes, recognized both are futile/false/empty (along with all the forms of apparent separation these arise as), and realized the Middle Way of neither grasping nor rejecting - of not being deluded by such appearances.

Enlightenment is effortless. Maintaining delusion (by doing as well as not doing[abstaining]) requires great effort.

As many stories show, people who 'awaken' often do go on to live a more contemplative/less worldly appearing life (the rest likely pass without notice - as not all teach in formal/recognized way that others document) - but do not confuse this sort of life with asceticism or a retreat from the 'world'. These are just forms, appearances. The point is not to see how others live, or follow in their footsteps, but to see for yourself with each step you take.

'Suchness' is the formless assuming all forms. None stand apart as the way.

GuiCole_driedleafJeffrey
  • kgrey said:

'Grasping' and 'rejecting' are equally false paths. Both reflect 'ignorance of our true nature'. Together these comprise the 'Three Poisons'.

In the stories of 'Buddha' - Gotama explored both extremes, recognized both are futile/false/empty (along with all the forms of apparent separation these arise as), and realized the Middle Way of neither grasping nor rejecting - of not being deluded by such appearances.

Enlightenment is effortless. Maintaining delusion (by doing as well as not doing[abstaining]) requires great effort.

As many stories show, people who 'awaken' often do go on to live a more contemplative/less worldly appearing life (the rest likely pass without notice - as not all teach in formal/recognized way that others document) - but do not confuse this sort of life with asceticism or a retreat from the 'world'. These are just forms, appearances. The point is not to see how others live, or follow in their footsteps, but to see for yourself with each step you take.

'Suchness' is the formless assuming all forms. None stand apart as the way.

This! Very well put sir. :)
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2012
    The middle way is in reference to the two extremes of Hedonism and Harsh Asceticism, not grasping and rejecting. The 3 poisons are Ignorance, Hatred, and Greed. In fact Hatred and Greed are two sides of the same coin, namely Desire. When the Buddha explains what desire leading to suffering is, he says it is the Desire for sensuality, the Desire for Becoming, and the Desire for non-becoming. Essentially the desire for sensual pleasures, for the addition of something you do not currently possess, and the desire to be rid of something that you find aversive. Desire is brought about through dependent origination. When people tell me "enlightenment is effortless" I think to myself "prove it". All this western, tao/zen, mashup hooplah is a distraction from the actual teachings that the living Buddha conveyed to his disciples.
    driedleafCole_
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @RebeccaS Yea determined that that post was hypocritical since it was passively offensive. I don't believe that Vajrayana is the true Dhamma. That's just how I feel about it. I think that the reason the original teachings are so compelling is because they are pragmatic and their effectiveness can be experienced directly. The Buddha explicitly stated that the reason his teachings are unexcelled is because the Dhamma is clear, deep, and never withheld.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • I wasn't getting at you, I thought it was funny. But it's cool to know how you actually feel about it. :)