Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's a good name for Jewish Buddhists?

DaozenDaozen Veteran
edited January 2013 in General Banter
I know several people who identify as both Jewish and Buddhist, and was wondering what an appropriately witty name for such a person might be.

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I think the current term in usage is JuBu. :D At least that's what I've heard one former Jewish Buddhist teacher say and I think one other person.
    DaozenMaryAnneTheEccentric
  • Nice! I was thinking 'Jewdist' but JuBu has the advantage of brevity!
  • I know one such Buddhist. He says among themselves they refer to themselves as JewBu's.
  • I still think Buhjist sounds like a more correct mix of the two, but there you go.
  • Bujeweled?
    Tosh
  • Boo-wish
    Vastmind
  • The Dalai Cohen
  • i think jubu is the common term. i've heard it mentioned and i just did a google and found it mentioned in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Buddhist :D
  • I have always found this kind of thinking odd, because one becomes a Jew, like a Hindu, by birth making the basis of their religious experience ethnic or exclusive.

Buddhism, like Christianity, is creedal in that anyone can choose to declare it therefore making it a worldly religion. The addition projects an element of exclusivity, and even on a purely ethnic basis leaving out any religious beliefs like calling oneself an Anglo-Saxon Buddhist, Asian Buddhist, and African Buddhist has the same exclusive effect.
    how
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    Jesus lol

Sorry bad joke

wicked_good_kamma
  • Daozen said:

I know several people who identify as both Jewish and Buddhist, and was wondering what an appropriately witty name for such a person might be.

All suggestions welcome!

A Jewish name should do fine. What's in a name if there is no practice?
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    It's interesting this topic being brought up. I'm becoming more interesting in Judaism and I'm trying to find ways to reconcile the two.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Though, admittedly, they call themselves JuBus, you're all wrong! [wry smile]

They are Buddhist Jews! (They can change their religion, but their ethnicity is a keeper. Jews are just so smart!)
  • A Jew in the Lotus?
  • edited February 2013
    Rinpoche Bierbaum?
    person
  • We can describe ourselves independent of form Eg. kosher lobster, Not-jewish Buddhist Jew, anti-semite (careful! . . . think of aunty Sadie) etc

In other words denying the identifier . . .
    such monikers can be misconstrued as not funny or too subtle . . .

how about: 'rabbi rinpoche', 'no way YHWH', 'unHoly Moses'
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Or, if you turn it around and call them what they really are, Buddhist Jews, an appropriate name would be "really enlightened human beings."
    lobster
  • I appreciate this is a light hearted thread. However . . .
    A strong sense of identification is a hindrance. People like to cling to their suffering. Not all Tibetan Buddhists are Tibetan . . . therefore I am a Jubu, a Lesbu a Bu Hoo etc

What else can I cling to?

I am a Bu walker, Family Bu, BU sleeper, I am a BadBu, a GodlyBu, a BuDiddly.

The Buddha is a woman
    The Buddha is a Black Jew
    The Buddha is a cripple
    The Buddha is white trash
    The Buddha is a dog and a statue . . .

The Buddha is us, dear friends . . . :wave:
    Theswingisyellow
  • Why the need for labels? Just let them be...

Labels, specially identification labels are loaded with Judgement and prejudice.

After all, I am That which I am Not...
    lobster