Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is intuition rational?

Dakini said in another thread
But the interesting thing with this mystical component in Buddhism is that it's tempered with a lot of very down-to-earth observation, logic, and discipline. So it's not exclusively mystical; it also has a very rational aspect. Kind of yin and yang in quality, isn't it?
By inclination we do seem drawn to the qualities within Buddhism that resonate with our preferences. For balance and awakening do we just need to work from our side or do we have to allow the arising of an integrated and largely different perspective? Is the rational answer the same as the intuitive . . .

Comments

• For me, the intuition comes from listening to myself. A practice of meditation allows one to do this by giving time and space necessary. (Some people don't sit and formally meditate and yet they still have a good base of intuition because they are listening to themselves throughout the day.)

I think listening to oneself is actually being mindful of one's self plus listening to one's surroundings. My feeling is that this practice allows for absorption of things that we cannot really absorb if we are not mindful. Maybe I am not talking about intuition on a Christ-like level, but I think you can see this type of thing in everyday life, with people you know. For instance, you know people who are very self-absorbed and who are NOT listening/absorbing things around them. They are the kind of person who talks for lengths during conversation, either not giving the other person a chance to communicate or not listening if they do. This person doesn't have a clue how anyone else around them feels. They are not being intuitive at all. They are so busy with their monkey minds that they don't even know how they (themselves) feel. They are not rational with their thought processes.

However, I don't know that being rational alone is what makes one intuitive. Or maybe, being super-rational is it. It is a good question.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    chela said:

For me, the intuition comes from listening to myself. A practice of meditation allows one to do this by giving time and space necessary. (Some people don't sit and formally meditate and yet they still have a good base of intuition because they are listening to themselves throughout the day.)

I think listening to oneself is actually being mindful of one's self plus listening to one's surroundings. My feeling is that this practice allows for absorption of things that we cannot really absorb if we are not mindful. Maybe I am not talking about intuition on a Christ-like level, but I think you can see this type of thing in everyday life, with people you know. For instance, you know people who are very self-absorbed and who are NOT listening/absorbing things around them. They are the kind of person who talks for lengths during conversation, either not giving the other person a chance to communicate or not listening if they do. This person doesn't have a clue how anyone else around them feels. They are not being intuitive at all. They are so busy with their monkey minds that they don't even know how they (themselves) feel. They are not rational with their thought processes.

However, I don't know that being rational alone is what makes one intuitive. Or maybe, being super-rational is it. It is a good question.

But doesn't virtually everyone think they are rational...even those who clearly are not?

• Meditation stills the rational, left brain, so that the intuition of the right brain can be accessed. Right brain and left are not the same. Intuition isn't rational. We have the capacity for both intuitive and rational thought, due to the way our brain is organized. The purpose of meditation is to give us a tool with which to access intuition and make it a conscious part of our regular experience.
    DandelionchelalobsterStraight_Man
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

But doesn't virtually everyone think they are rational...even those who clearly are not?

I don't know. I'll ask my ex, who I was thinking about when I typed my response. I am fairly certain he will say that he's the most rational/logical person he knows, so you are probably right.

vinlyn
  • It depends what you mean by intuition. Intuition might be openness, clarity, and sensitivity. In that case it is bodhicitta.
    taiyakilobster
  • I have a pretty high level of intuition in the classic sense of the word.
    I can "read" most people - tell what they are thinking, know if they are lying, sometimes I can have whole scenarios flash in my mind in an instant, and just "know" a lot about a person and their motivations.
    Is this intuition " rational " ? Nope- not in the least. But is it real? Yes, for me it is.
  • MaryAnne said:

I have a pretty high level of intuition in the classic sense of the word.
    I can "read" most people - tell what they are thinking, know if they are lying, sometimes I can have whole scenarios flash in my mind in an instant, and just "know" a lot about a person and their motivations.

Cool! :)

lobster
  • I would say it is so rational that rationality breaks down completely.
    Zero
  • Dakini said:

MaryAnne said:

I have a pretty high level of intuition in the classic sense of the word.

Cool! :)

LOL Yeah sometimes it is.... but sometimes, not so much.
    Kind of hurtful when you just "know" someone you would normally trust/love/respect is lying, or is deceiving you in some way.
  • Interesting points. The plasticity of the brain is enhanced by practice. Innate qualities of sanity and awareness do seem to increase into a more universal nature.
    So maybe we can gain insight into which components we tend towards and will be balanced by? Personally I rate intuition above the rational as a decision making tool. I feel there is also truth in the idea that intuition is related to bodhicitta as jeffery said.
    Many thanks guys.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    MaryAnne said:

LOL Yeah sometimes it is.... but sometimes, not so much.
    Kind of hurtful when you just "know" someone you would normally trust/love/respect is lying, or is deceiving you in some way.

True. But then...you would want to know, if that's what really was happening, wouldn't you? Think about the people who don't have your level of intuition. They'd end up being deceived by a loved/respected one, and then the disappointment would be even more bitter.

Life does tend to be samsaric in that way....disillusionment happens. :(

• I'm not sure I see how intuition can be rational or irrational. Our response to it might be either but the intuition itself seems neutral.

But even defining 'intuition' is difficult. There is also Kant's 'non-intuitive immediate knowledge' - which describes genuine 'mystical' knowledge. This is the idea that what we learn by self-examination, meditation etc., is not intuitive but (where it really is knowledge) it is 'knowledge by identity'. Many scientists assume that Buddhism and so forth are all about intuition, not immediate knowledge, but this is to sell it short. Intuition allows doubt, while knowledge is the absence of doubt.

• @Dakini asked:

" True. But then...you would want to know, if that's what really was happening, wouldn't you? Think about the people who don't have your level of intuition. They'd end up being deceived by a loved/respected one, and then the disappointment would be even more bitter.

Life does tend to be samsaric in that way....disillusionment happens. :( "

Well, there are many times in conversations and interactions with people that we are told (or tell others) those so-called "little white lies" -- or avoid saying things altogether that might hurt feelings or insult others....

But being more than a little intuitive ( in some circles AKA "empathic") little white lies are often seen through for what they are; and keeping silent usually does nothing to stop me from knowing what one is really thinking.
    So there is an unspoken truth there to be dealt with, and, as we all know, sometimes the truth - whether about others or ourselves - ain't pretty.

When it comes to beloved family members and very very close friends, I tend to block all the intuitive feelings I can. Not because I don't want to 'know' if something bad should happen, or if they are keeping secrets from me.... because those feelings come through anyhow, because they are strong enough.
    But all the other little things in daily life and interaction, all the other little comments, (you know- Does this dress make me look fat? kind of stuff ), I force myself to accept at face value, unless an exceptionally strong 'warning bell' goes off.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Florian said:

But even defining 'intuition' is difficult....

Yes, it seems to mean different things to different people. I think at a basic level intuition is just learning from experience, recognising patterns.

• @SpinyNorman
    Would you say we recognise the pattern? That would make it quite rational. It seems perhaps, it is a subconscious or superconscious recognition that we become aware of but not the underlying or over-layered patterns . . .?
  • Makes sense to me. Often what we deem as 'irrational' intuition could be rational processes happening out of sight.

But, as Lobster asked: Is the rational answer the same as the intuitive . . .? '

Great question and I've had a few debates about the answer. I'd say that it is, but only where it is genuine intuition and not self-delusion, and genuine rationality and not self-confusing sophistry. These things can be difficult to tell apart.
  • I was just introduced to the role of instinct. What role does that play?
    Another issue related to intuition is the avoidance of dukkha. On every level, including the intuitional, we are being told to avoid dukkha . . . do we avoid it by embracing its fruition?

:coffee:
  • GuiGui Veteran
    What is the basis for the difference between rational and irrational? LOL (or, as we old timers say on our computers, HAHAHAHAHA)
  • @gui
    You equate intuition with irrationality? Apart from rational laughter what can we intuit from this? :rolleyes:
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I think you can debate whether intuition is correct or not correct. But I don't see how it can compare with rational/irrational. This might again be my usual semantics issue. But I think what is rational or not is a social thing.
    However, I think intuition is always correct. Because intuition is before mind.
    riverflow
  • Because intuition is before mind.
    Understood. :clap:
    Intuition is unformed, interesting. So now we are describing something outside of subconscious, superconscious and would perhaps be the manifestation of aspects of the non arising . . . so to speak?
    riverflow
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Gui said:

I think intuition is always correct. Because intuition is before mind.

True in the sense that hindsight is rational.
    Dakini said:

Meditation stills the rational, left brain, so that the intuition of the right brain can be accessed. Right brain and left are not the same. Intuition isn't rational. We have the capacity for both intuitive and rational thought, due to the way our brain is organized. The purpose of meditation is to give us a tool with which to access intuition and make it a conscious part of our regular experience.

Intuition is not left/right brain oriented. The right brain region may not be responsible for linguistic function but that doesn't mean it's not rational.

We might think of intuition as algorithms that process information unconsciously or automatically. That's why they are like instinct and so immediate.

I would say intuition is rational in the sense that intuition is concerned with practical matters. Practical matters are not trans-rational or mystical.
    lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2013

As an intuitive thinker the main issue to me is to use the rational mind to sort out my intuitions in order to make more sense of them and to differentiate a genuine intuition from self generated wishful thinking.
    lobsterDakini
  • Wishful thinking is delusional, intuition is real insight.
    I would suggest from experience, that intuition does indeed arise from meditation practice. For example it is perfectly possible to follow ones intuition as a practice. Something I have done, though not from a Buddhist stand.
    Maybe others are aware of Buddhist practice to develop intuition?
    With mindfulness or paying attention we could be more attuned to our intuitions.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Apples & oranges.

Rational thought stays within our predictable identity constructs whereas intuition doesn't.

MaryAnnelobster
  • when ego silences, intuition rises
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2013
    lobster said:

@SpinyNorman
    Would you say we recognise the pattern? That would make it quite rational. It seems perhaps, it is a subconscious or superconscious recognition that we become aware of but not the underlying or over-layered patterns . . .?

Maybe it's the subconscious "doing the work" and feeding the result to the conscious mind - so it could be quite rational.
    And there's a kind of positive feedback when our intuitions prove to be correct - we're more likely to trust our unconscious with decision making / assessment.
    Not to rain on the parade, but intuition is often wrong.
    vinlyn
  • Nevermind said:

Really? Not mine. :)

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2013
    lobster said:

Dakini said in another thread

But the interesting thing with this mystical component in Buddhism is that it's tempered with a lot of very down-to-earth observation, logic, and discipline. So it's not exclusively mystical; it also has a very rational aspect. Kind of yin and yang in quality, isn't it?
    By inclination we do seem drawn to the qualities within Buddhism that resonate with our preferences. For balance and awakening do we just need to work from our side or do we have to allow the arising of an integrated and largely different perspective? Is the rational answer the same as the intuitive . . .

I don't know if intuition is rational per se, but I'd say that intuition and rationality have areas of overlap in terms of progress on the path, especially where mindfulness is concerned. For example, from The Way of Mindfulness: The Satipatthana Sutta and Its Commentary:
    Mindfulness is a process, an event and an arising and a passing away momentarily like any other mental property. Although it is a basic power, a shelter and a refuge of the mind, the role it plays in the drama of transition from Ignorance to Knowledge differs considerably according to the other properties of mind with which it works.

For instance in association with Right Understanding and its group which comprises "wisdom, intense knowledge, discrimination, research, investigation of things, consideration, close examination, pondering over, learning, skillfulness, keen-wittedness, analysis, reflection, vision, sagacity, the discernment that leads aright, penetrative insight and clear comprehension," it is rational. And when it is combined with Right Concentration and its cognates such as "mental steadfastness, serenity, immovability, quietude, non-distraction, and pacification," it is intuitive.

But the intuitive or rational role does not preclude mindfulness from communicating its regulative impulse of moderation to the mind, at all times. It is the property which makes for proper proportion in the response of the mind to mental objects.
    And:
    Here, the development of penetrative insight [vipassana] combines with that of tranquilizing concentration [samatha], and each functions in a way that does not outstrip the other. Both gain uniformity of force. Through the overdoing of analysis there could be agitation. And indolence creeps in through too much of tranquillity.

Searching analysis is predominantly intellective and is the work of insight. Wholehearted acceptance is principally intuitive and springs from the placidity of concentration. In the sense of yoking [yuganandhatthena] and of not letting (either) become overwhelming [anativattanatthena] contemplative balance is reached. That balance is manifested as the sober, serene, steadfast acceptance of the truth which analysis reveals.
    So in one sense, I think it can be said that the rational answer the same as the intuitive, at least in the context of the contemplative balance reached between intuition (concentration) and rationality (insight) that can be developed within the practice of satipatthana meditation.
    riverflow
    MaryAnne said:

Nevermind said:

If you want to know what it's like you could always try challenging yourself. :p
  • Nevermind said:

MaryAnne said:

Nevermind said:

If you want to know what it's like you could always try challenging yourself. :p

What does that mean? :scratch:
    Nevermind. :D
  • Nevermind said:

rationally this is wrong
    Intuitionally this is wrong
    Even being wrong is sometimes right
    Just like rain on a parade

:wave:
  • your mileage may vary. Sometimes intuition tells me what people are like based on their license plate letters and numbers.