Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism, Lent and letting go of attachments

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator
I wasn't sure where to put this one.

A lot of people around me are practicing Catholics, and are of course in the midst of Lent. The point of Lent is to sacrifice something for that time period, because of the sacrifice Jesus made, right? (I have never been Catholic so I'm not sure I have that 100% correct). When I was younger and my mom converted to Catholicism, I asked why she gave up meat just to go to a fish fry, when meat was never a sacrifice for her. I asked why she didn't give up makeup, or her morning coffees, or something else. She looked like someone just shot her dog. It was unthinkable that she'd have to sacrifice something that might cause her to suffer even in the least. It's easy to give up meat one day a week when you could care less and just go to community fish fry or McDonald's.

So, in the theme of Lent, I am wondering if any one here does a similar practice? Deciding to give up something you are rather attached to for a set period of time. What did you give up? For how long? How did it go?

I have been considering doing this, but I admit it's a bit scary to think about, lol. That to me is a sign that perhaps I should do exactly that, if I am afraid to give something up for, say a week, or a month, that says a lot about my attachments. How do you practice letting go of yours?

I gave up FB for a week, I didn't log in at all. I had an initial sense of anxiety over it, because it's so much of my daily routine to check in with certain people. But after several hours I settled in and just spent my time doing other things. However, I went right back to it after the week was up without looking back.

Comments

• Isn't that similar to what retreats are?

I believe lent was when Jesus spent 40 days in the desert without food and maybe water idk and the devil tried to tempt him but Jesus resisted all the temptations.
    robot
  • This is a good idea I think @karasti - I have put my laptop away on certain days in the past-- and after an initial 'gasp! whatamigonnadonow?!?!' moment which passed, I found it actually refreshing (admittedly it has been a few months that I have done this).

My 'Buddha-lent' sacrifices would be: (1) the laptop, (2) which would consequently mean no music, (2) reading books or ordering them online, (3) no tea (4) no chocolate (5) no pizza. (That may seem to be a short list, but I haven't got much of a life outside work and I am already something of a minimalist - I don't even eat very much, except when indulge in the aforementioned pizza)

I would probably have to at least allow myself to read-- otherwise there would be nothing else to do but zazen all day long!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It depends on the retreat. I do not have access to many where I am, and the ones I have gone to have not been residential. So, I go for the day and then go home in time for dinner and then return to the retreat the next day. They are doing a 5 day residential one this spring but I won't be able to attend :( I think retreats are a bit different though, because then you are in an environment set up to help you with those temptations because they aren't even there, and you are with like minded people. It's harder to do when you are surrounded by others who are doing those activities or using those items and having to live your normal routine in every day life without those things you are so attached to.

@Silouan interesting, thanks for sharing that. Good things to consider!
    Silouan
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Silouan said:

Orthodox Christians have a prescribed ascetic practice during Great Lent, some of which may be of spiritual benefit for Buddhists too.

The first week of Great Lent is called clean week and begins the Monday following Forgiveness Sunday. Only water is consumed, and one small meal taken at mid week, until that Saturday.

Throughout the season the following practices are observed.

*Abstinence from all meat and dairy products.
    *Abstinence from alcohol and olive oil. It is only consumed on prescribed days, typically the weekend.
    *Fish is permitted on only two specific feast days.
    *Abstinence from sexual activity.
    *Increase prayer and spiritual reading.
    *Increase service to others.
    *Money saved from fasting is to be given to the less fortunate.

Not all, due to things such as health, age, or other circumstance are able to keep the entire practice, and there is nothing wrong with that. Their spiritual father will allow accommodations as necessary for each person's condition, but they are held in confidence out of respect of others. In these instances another type of sacrifice is made similar to what @karasti and @riverflow have mentioned. Some even choose to add these other types of sacrifices as a personal choice to enhance their practice.

Anyway, it is ultimately a matter of choice, and is never forced. One chooses to follow in some way or not.

Seriously???!!! One meal in a week....that's just silly.
  • @Bunks

Its one in five. :)
    It is severe, but it isn't impossible, and there are those who can keep it and others who can't. Its not meant to be made a big deal either way. That would be missing the point of the practice.
  • I want to play. :clap:

I must admit giving up is the wrong approach for me, I prefer to eat more meals that consist of nothing . . .

There is Buddhist fasting practice
    http://freshrawlife.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/buddhist-fasting-practice/
    karastiJohn_Spencer
  • Thanks for posting the link @lobster. I'm going to look more into it.

Also, shell fish is permitted for consumption during Great Lent for Orthodox Christians, so you might want to avoid contact with them during this period to be safe, but at least they won't lather you in butter if caught.
    lobsterVastmindperson
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    good idea, I'm going to try and give up my after noom binge eating habbit
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    That's something I thought about before. Buddhism teaches renunciation so I thought it would be an appropriate practice!
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

good idea, I'm going to try and give up my after noom binge eating habbit

Noon*
  • I was looking forwards to some tasty nooms . . .
    MaryAnneTheEccentric
    I actually read "noom" as "nom" and it made perfect sense!
    MaryAnneLucy_BegoodTheEccentricInvincible_summer
  • Nom nom nom . . . Must not text with mouth full for lent . . .
    riverflowMaryAnneTheEccentric
    edited May 2013
    In an interesting twist, today my teacher requested that for 30 days of Saga Dawa that all his students refrain from eating meat. So, I guess here goes nothing, it starts tomorrow. I better eat the lobster that's in the fridge, lol. (I'm not even kidding, I actually have one in there)

Anyone have suggestions? I usually only eat meat a few times a week but I'm having trouble finding ways to fill my menu now especially since it starts tomorrow. I really dislike beans but I'm afraid I'm going to have to choke them down whole to get as much protein as I normally eat. Either that, or a WHOLE lot of yogurt. The other 4 people in my family will still be eating meat, so I have to work around their menu, their cooking and such. I forsee a lot of crock pot.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    karasti said:

I really dislike beans but I'm afraid I'm going to have to choke them down whole to get as much protein as I normally eat. Either that, or a WHOLE lot of yogurt.

Most people in the first word massively overestimate how much protein they need. It's actually very little - less than a couple of ounces. But it tastes sooo good.
    According to US & Canadian Dietary Reference Intake guidelines, women aged 19–70 need to consume 46 grams of protein per day, while men aged 19–70 need to consume 56 grams of protein per day to avoid a deficiency
    from wikipedia. Athletes of course would need to eat more.
    Invincible_summer
    I lift weights, and typically eat closer to 80-90 grams a day. A good amount of that I can get from a good supplement, but not all of it.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I find it much easier to give up things for short periods and eventually wean myself off of them than to simply go cold turkey.

When my time of abstinence draws to a close I try to keep a close watch on how my mind reacts. Usually the night before I can see it get really restless and the craving starts to go mad in anticipation. The really interesting thing is once I do engage with my particular craving again I can really notice the negative feeling associated with the craving and it feels like quite a bit of suffering mixed in with the pleasure of whatever. Remembering that feeling helps to curb my appetites during the rest of my life.
    karasti
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    When I was vegan we had nut loaf most days. So many recipes. Brazil nuts made the best.
    Invincible_summer
    Nut loaf? I'll have to look that one up! I think that I will try to make a soup in the crock pot to have a few days a week, and I can spread out various veggie and rice dishes. I don't eat much for grains but I eat wild rice and quinoa. I do have a really good recipe for...channa? I think that is what it is called that has some sort of bean in it that I didn't mind so much.
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited May 2013
    It can be very difficult when only one or a few are fasting in the household especially for the one who is the main preparer of meals. My advice is just do the best you can under the circumstances taking others into consideration first and foremost. I'm sure there are going to more opportunities for prolonged fasting in the future for you, so you will be able to seek out and find tasty alternatives that provide the proper sustenance as you progress with your practice.

The Patriarchate for my church is in Damascus Syria, so it has Arabic roots, and my family has been introduced to a lot of tasty vegan dishes during fasting seasons. We have learned how to prepare some of our favorites, well, not me, but my wife has. I prefer her humus and tabbouleh over any store bought brands. When a prolonged fast is coming she will stock up on supplies purchased from an Arabic market.

However, despite the church's Arabic roots we are very culturally diverse. A Theravada monk once visited our temple during Liturgy to investigate the architecture for ideas, as he was planning to build a Buddhist temple. He later commented to our priest how beautiful it was to see so many different people together, so there are many other foods we have been blessed to enjoy, but my personal favorite is Eritrean dishes prepared by my wife's godmother.

There is more than one way to cook and prepare a bean. :)
    karastiInvincible_summerlobster
    I think it would be easier for me if I was the main meal preparer, because I could easily integrate things. My husband does most of the cooking, and he prides himself greatly on it. I feel a bit bad telling him I won't be able to eat when he's cooking when he's so happy to cook. But he hasn't taken it personally so I try not to take it personally FOR him.

I reached out to some of my friends who are vegetarian and vegan for ideas, they know me well so have offered recipes they know I will be able to eat with my various limitations (grains and dairy). A lovely woman in our Sangha came forward with a webpage she runs that is based not only on vegetarian diet, but mindful eating, so I appreciate her efforts and will use them, I am sure.

We don't live in a very (ok, not at all, really) ethnically diverse area. We're about 2 hours from any sort of ethnic grocery stores. Though we are planning a trip to visit family and will be able to check out several. They are, unfortunately, 300 miles away so it's not something we'd be able to do often, but it'll be a nice treat.

Thankfully, deciding to not eat meat for the month makes it much easier to decline my grandmother's invitation for Lutefisk, LOL. *shudder*
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I'd say it's a very good practice to put aside certain things for a while. It really shows you your attachments. You may be surprised both ways, maybe you have more than you thought, but it could well be less. Don't be afraid to do it, there is nothing to lose.

The 8 precepts are what Buddhists traditionally try to follow on such practices. Those are the usual five, and:

- The one about sex being total refraining from sex.
    - Refrain from entertainment (music/tv/non work computer things) and make up/jewelry
    - No food after midday
    - No over sleeping

I did them once for 6 weeks (length of lent basically) on a retreat and it was very nice actually. I got another kind of energy out of it that I never experienced before. My mind was also much clearer and so meditation also became deeper. I did not have too much trouble keeping the 8 precepts because of that.

I am considering to follow these precepts minus the one of eating after midday for 3 months in my home life,starting soon (so if I'm not on this site anymore, you know why :D ). Also, I am considering an even longer retreat now, for a year.

To physically abstain from things is a practice in its own right that is often overlooked, I think. Go for it! In the suttas the Buddha praised it a lot. No need to do the 8 precepts, but whatever you think is healthy for you to abstain from. In modern society I think a lot of people will benefit from giving up internet connection and the telephone at some times. Perhaps on sunday or something.

But whatever you decide, don't base your decisions on fear. You are right, what you are in fear of losing is in fact what you need to let go.
    lobsterJeffreykarmabluesInvincible_summer
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Bunks said:

Seriously???!!! One meal in a week....that's just silly.

Humans can run a very long time without food - think in weeks - without ill side effects. Not that I ever tried.. but I wouldn't call it silly. I find it quite fascinating to be honest, and can imagine there to be some benefits. Perhaps someone who ever fasted for a few days can share his/her experience?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Well, stomach keeps making acid for some people (me included), so some acidosis can set in unless one drinks a lot of water or juice. I have fasted for a week, but drank a lot of liquid, and lived on mostly rice and brocolli and vitamins for about a year.

However, I got an iron deficit-- some people need ferric iron, not ferrous iron in order to get enough iron in blood. I got concerned when my blood seemed more orange than red when I scratched myself, for instance.

Note, we have had had a set of discussions on what is needed for weight loss on Icrontic's forum. And losing weight from fasting was thumbs-downed by quite a few people from their hard experience, over a week fast resulted in significant muscle loss. You are starving the body, it will use up muscle and fat with no incoming food-- simple fact. No liquid either, it will clog up and die.

People have survived with little to nothing for weeks, but they come out much weakened, and that story is seldom told. I have not survived with nothing in, but once survived on a pot of rice for three days, with a hamburger patty broken up and boiled in it, and did that three times in a row. I was very weak afterward, and soon put back on the weight I had lost because I was working a 40 hour week during that time and the work was physical work.

The without side effects is without long term side effects for many, but not for all. My prostate slowed my metabolism drastically sometime during this time in my life, and I am now on a permanent (tested once every six months for hormone levels of metabolic hormones now) high dose of prostate gland stimulating hormone called levothyroxine (do not self-admin this without a prescription and blood hormone level monitoring, can be quickly fatal to do so). My prostate almost shut down on me, and I have a chronic iron shortfall in diet of food that is fixed by ferric iron tablets now. I am 59.
    Sabre
    I actually am prone to iron-deficient anemia. Even despite taking an iron supplement and eating meat, I am still on the very low end of normal (per tests prior to my surgery in January). I do plan to keep eating the eggs that we buy from a neighbor so that'll help some. I don't know if I should increase the Fe or not.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    I eat meat regularly, eggs seldom. The doctor told me dark green( brocolli included) and purple vegetables contain Fe in decent amounts, so mom serves me mixed greens salad. I do not like the bitter-some taste of kale, so I choose fruit when she asks me if I want fruit or vegetables for salad. The dose in pill form that I take is 27 mg Fe daily, but I do not know what my needed total daily dose should be.

It is hard to increase the dose to too much iron, but if you get thirsty all the time you have more than you need. Ditto if some people feel very warm, one symptom of having more than needed is very warm feeling and thirst with it to normal thirst can mean it is your metabolism and iron in balance pretty much. That is how doctor knew to do iron workup along with T metabolites testing, I was feeling real cool at 76 Farenheit with short sleeve shirt on and long pants on. It took 80 degrees ambient temp for me to feel warmish when my iron or my metabolism was underdone.

So, rough gauge if money is tight, temp at which you feel cool and warm versus what you feel eating meat and eggs, with metabolism normal, its iron if you feel unusually cold a lot. Iron thickens blood, helps it dissipate more heat to outer parts of body by helping it hold inner heat (gotten from travel though muscles which gen heat when exercising) until it travels to surface areas of body, and you feel warmer-- that is true on average. there are some exceptions for folks, but they are not average.

So, as and when you meat and milk fast or abstain, emphasize dark green veggies more and consider a supplement tab. do you have access to a walmart or health food store, or walgreens/drugstore that stocks natural vitamins? Think about that to yourself, please. I get my ferrics in bulk at either Walmart or Walgtreens, they keep reasonably well. They are also CHEAP, though not as cheap as ferrous iron tabs.
    Even when I take it with a meal, Fe makes me sick for about 2 hours after I take it. Ick. I eat quite a lot of greens, I find smoothies a super easy way to do that. I can put easily 2-3 cups of kale or collars in a smoothie with a little fruit and some juice or almond milk and not even know it's there, other than the odd color, lol. Easiest way for me. I like salad, but I cannot eat it every single day.
    Yesterday was no problem not eating meat. Today I am going out to eat with my mom for Mother's Day so hopefully I can find something I can eat, lol.