Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did you become interested in Buddhism?

Please let me hear your stories!

Comments

• you first
    Invincible_summer
  • I came to Buddhism in a long roundabout way. I was raised Catholic, though my parents did not go to mass very often. Eventually we ended up in a small town where fundamentalism was the norm (the da we arrived in December of 1983, there was a large burning of CareBears because they were 'satanic' (!!!!) -- I had never heard of such crazy talk before!). I was agnostic for awhile in high school but finally succumbed and converted to the Church of Christ.

Eventually I got out, and was something of an agnostic again until I started reading Wittgenstein and the Daodejing and began wading into deeper philosophical waters. Along the way I met a Greek Orthodox priest who was helped me in so many ways. I was familiar only to a limited degree with Zen Buddhism but I still held a prejudice against Buddhism in general and another silly prejudice against Zen Buddhism in particular: (1) the old 'Buddhism-is-pessemistic' routine and (2) Daoism is all the cool parts of Zen but without the icky Buddhism aspect (there is certainly an influence, but this is an incorrect assessment of Daoism and Zen Buddhism).

So while I was exploring other religious traditions, mysticism and all kinds of philosophies, Buddhism was a non-starter for me for years. During this time though I explored Judaism, the Quakers and Unitarian Universalism (I was especially fond of the Quakers, which is a foreshadowing of sorts!).

I eventually became an atheist and sort of drifted for a while, sometimes reviving an interest in the Daodejing, but then wandering aimlessly again. I went through a period of reading and writing haiku and read R.H. Blyth's books which shows the Zen connection with haiku poets like Basho, Buson, Issa, and Santoka. Writing haiku became a kind of practice for me which softened me up for Buddhism.

In 2010 I decided I wanted to at least give zazen a go. I didn't want to mess with any Buddhist bells and whistles--just zazen. I had gotten a couple videos but I wanted to read some books-- and not just fluffy new age feel good books. But as I started reading more of the 'theory' behind it, the more intrigued I became until I read Thich Nhat Hanh's very short but powerful commentary on the Heart Sutra, where he talks about emptiness in terms of what he calls 'inter-being'-- and immediately everything clicked for me.

Gradually having an altar 'made sense,' and reciting gathas and now I have begin chanting too (something I thought I would never do!). I did take a 'detour' last year but even still Buddhism was there, and I knew I would return to it. Originally it seemed strange and alien to me, but it has grown on me and I know the time is ripe for me to finally go to a sangha.

I know that is a rather long and meandering story, but all those things contributed to finding the path--in a way I was searching for it for years--I just didn't know it at the time. That moment of first reading Thich Nhat Hanh make emptiness so clear to me was an important moment in my life, for which I am grateful.
    MaryAnnelobsterchelanenkohai

• @genkaku

" I am not a Buddha. I am just an ordinary fellow who understands things.”

I love that!! :)
    chela
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited March 2013
    My father is a practising Buddhist so I choose to do the same, Id been introduced to Dharma from a very young age. I went and listened to teachings from one of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's main disciple for many years and have tried my best to practice Kadam Dharma since.
    TheEccentricriverflowMaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    one thing lead to another thing, so kind of a series of incidents - nothing planned - so much so, that 2 years back, there was not even a single thought in my mind that 2 years later, i might be doing such activities, which i am currently doing.
    riverflowMaryAnneStraight_Man
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I think I always had beliefs that were pretty much the same as buddhism but didn't know that there was an entire religion / philosophy that suited them.

I could never understand why people got hung up about trivial things (Someone put a dent in my car!!! Someone called me a name!!!) but thought that maybe there was something wrong with me.

Now it all makes sense......

:om:
    MaryAnnenenkohaiTheEccentric
  • Buddhism has provided relief to depression in me. I've suffered from depression my whole adult life. I've always felt that there could be a spiritual component to my depression management. Buddhism lit the path internally - what I needed to learn about ME - and it also lit the path to external compassion. I'm finding that studying Buddhism is dovetailing with my worldview... my universe(s) view.

Now... to find a sangha!

With regards.
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • Hardcore punk and smoking weed
    Invincible_summer