Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist practice and reincarnation

As a health professional, I have been trained to follow evidence based information. Is there any definitive proof that reincarnation exists, or is it a matter of faith?

Comments

• jlljll Veteran
    the most famous scientific research on the subject
    was by Prof Ian Stevenson.

poptartcvalue
  • Thank you very much jll. I will check this video out after while my 2 year old is napping later.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2013
    there is no need to have definitive proof of rebecoming (buddhists don't use reincarnation because it implies a transmigrating soul). The practice laid forth by the Buddha brings forth benefits here and now whether there is proof or you believe or disbelieve.

This from the famous Kalama Sutta -

"Now, Kalamas, one who is a disciple of the noble ones — his mind thus free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure — acquires four assurances in the here-&-now:

"'If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world.' This is the first assurance he acquires.

"'But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease — free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.' This is the second assurance he acquires.
    JeffreyBhanteLuckyInvincible_summer
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I've heard enough evidence myself to believe it exists in some sense. Exactly how it works of course I haven't a clue. But I've had enough discussions with my kids about things they remember and things they say that make absolutely no sense unless rebirth/reincarnation exists. At least not to me.

But for me, it is an interesting thing to ponder and consider, but it is not a major part of my life. It might exist, it might not. Heaven might exist, it might not. Summerland might exist, it might not. What happens after I die is of little concern to me compared to what I do with my life right now.
    MaryAnneWisdom23lobsterInvincible_summer
  • jll said:

the most famous scientific research on the subject
    was by Prof Ian Stevenson.
    Interesting video. Thanks

• I myself have had no experience of it. Saying this it may be my ignorance which has obstructed the reality. i have always though, when your dead your dead. But now im starting to think i could be wrong. Who's to say who's wrong or right. I have heard stories which although support reincartion i still question. Saying all this would it be so bad living our life as if reincarnation were true, doing good to others etc etc. I hope my babbling sheds some light or atleast amuses you.

All the best.
    TheEccentric
  • ZeroZero Veteran

As a health professional, I have been trained to follow evidence based information. Is there any definitive proof that reincarnation exists, or is it a matter of faith?

Have you found definitive proof in the evidence based information you've been trained to follow? How much faith is involved?
  • chelachela Veteran
    I posted a similar question a few weeks or so ago, but I can't find the thread. I am able to look at this from both a scientific side and a psychological side. I know the scientific truth that energy never dies, it is only transformed into different types of energy. This means, when you die, the energy that has been animating you is transformed into other types of things. Also, cells die constantly and are replaced by new cells. Your body is not even made of the same cells as it used to be (except maybe your brain cells). From a psychological standpoint, our ego, our sense of "I" is not concrete. The mind just makes up ideas that you cling to, there is no real "I". Your ideas and thoughts are not concrete and are ever-changing throughout our life. So, for me, these things work together to give me what I see as rebirth.

Here is an interesting presentation of death: http://www.meditationsociety.com/week7.html
  • Yes. We are trained to do our procedures and care based based on a strong foundation of research. However, that being said I can understand that some things exist even if we can't see it.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    As for me, I eagerly await re-birth. :clap:
    Bunks
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    I never forget this: 29 years ago, I saw K walking into the room full of people for the first time, for a split second, I had the familiar feeling like I just met again a dear friend or relative after a long separation while knowing fully that this person is a complete stranger. My heart felt it but my head was clear. It only happened for a split second but I never forget this strange feeling. It's the only time that this phenomenon happened to me. It never occurred before and it never repeated again with anybody else.

Note: K belongs to different race than mine so K can't bear any resemblance to anybody in my clan.

Anyway, I dismissed this feeling as weird and moved on. During that year I happened to bump into K a few times and we went out to have a coffee. Four years later, we got married and we will celebrate our 25 years of marriage soon.

Sometimes I wonder: Have we already met in our previous life?
    SabbyMaryAnnelobster
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    Thank you very much JLL for the video, I just ordered the book: "Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation, 2D" of Stevenson, Ian on Amazon. I am looking forward to receive this book in a few days.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The other day, my 4 year old son asked how old he would be on his next birthday. I told him he'd be five. He seemed to think about this and then the subject changed. Later that day, he sat next to me and put his head on my shoulder and said "mama, I don't want to turn 5. The last time I turned 5, I didn't have a family. I didn't even have a home and I had to live on the street. I didn't have friends and a dog used to chase me and it was always hot."

He has no experience of any of these things. He doesn't even know people live on the streets sometimes, as he's never seen homelessness at this point in his life. He lives in an area of the world where we have winter 6-7 months a year, he shouldn't be aware of places where it is always hot. There's no reason he should have made those comments.

When he was about the same age, my now teenage son had similar comments, including one about how he fell and hit his head and died, with much detail.
    personchelaInvincible_summer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There is a new book on the subject that reports on the most rigorous study to date. http://www.amazon.com/Erasing-Death-Science-Rewriting-Boundaries/dp/0062080601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363037942&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+sam+parnia

Apparently though none of the people reporting NDE's were in a position to possibly report on seeing the images placed on top of the ER equipment. OBE's are about 1 in a 1000 so its not easy to get a sample subject, realistically it will probably take another decade or so of similar studies to get a scientific result of whether people having OBE's at death can see images on top of the equipment or not.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    What I personally find compelling about reincarnation/rebirth are the instances of extremely young kids who, for example, compose and/or play musical compositions well beyond their years. Or can solve extremely complex math or physics problems at ages of 4 or 5. That stuff gets me wondering about the possibility of a past life exhibiting itself.
    edited March 2013
    cvalue said:

I never forget this: 29 years ago, I saw K walking into the room full of people for the first time, for a split second, I had the familiar feeling like I just met again a dear friend or relative after a long separation while knowing fully that this person is a complete stranger. My heart felt it but my head was clear. It only happened for a split second but I never forget this strange feeling. It's the only time that this phenomenon happened to me. It never occurred before and it never repeated again with anybody else.

Note: K belongs to different race than mine so K can't bear any resemblance to anybody in my clan.

Anyway, I dismissed this feeling as weird and moved on. During that year I happened to bump into K a few times and we went out to have a coffee. Four years later, we got married and we will celebrate our 25 years of marriage soon.

Sometimes I wonder: Have we already met in our previous life?

Cvalue.. this sutta may be of interest -

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.055.than.html

Samajivina Sutta: Living in Tune
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1997–2013

Once the Blessed One was staying among the Bhaggas in the Deer Park at Bhesakala Grove, near Crocodile Haunt. Then early in the morning the Blessed One put on his robes and, carrying his bowl and outer robe, went to the home of the householder, Nakula's father. On arrival, he sat down on a seat made ready. Then Nakula's father & Nakula's mother went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As they were sitting there, Nakula's father said to the Blessed One: "Lord, ever since Nakula's mother as a young girl was brought to me [to be my wife] when I was just a young boy, I am not conscious of being unfaithful to her even in mind, much less in body. We want to see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come."

And Nakula's mother said to the Blessed One: "Lord, ever since I as a young girl was brought to Nakula's father [to be his wife] when he was just a young boy, I am not conscious of being unfaithful to him even in mind, much less in body. We want to see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come."

[The Blessed One said:] "If both husband & wife want to see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come, they should be in tune [with each other] in conviction, in tune in virtue, in tune in generosity, and in tune in discernment. Then they will see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come."

Husband & wife, both of them
    having conviction,
    being responsive,
    being restrained,
    living by the Dhamma,
    addressing each other
    with loving words:
    they benefit in manifold ways.
    To them comes bliss.
    Their enemies are dejected
    when both are in tune in virtue.
    Having followed the Dhamma here in this world,
    both in tune in precepts & practices,
    they delight in the world of the devas,
    enjoying the pleasures they desire.
    Invincible_summercvalue
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Jayantha - Reminds me of the Fountain. As someone in a committed relationship, that sutta is really beautiful.
    edited March 2013

@Jayantha - Reminds me of the Fountain. As someone in a committed relationship, that sutta is really beautiful.

I have mixed feelings about such things lol.. on the one hand I use to think(and still do to a much lesser extent since advancing in my practice) it would be nice to be with my wife(who died 7 years ago to cancer.. and yes I know the movie the fountain :P) again in the next life.. but my mind of renunciation says screw that, you already experienced tons of loss in this life why bother doing it again?... strive for the deathless!

(if you like the fountain, check out "what dreams may come".. even though it's a bout heaven there is also couples reincarnating to live life again etc)

what is it the buddha said.. " greater then all the water in the great oceans, are the tears you have shed for loved ones on your endless journey through Samsara".

personally I'm with the Buddha, there must be a way out of that cycle, and I intend to find it like he did. Hopefully I can help others along the way, maybe even my deceased wife in her next life(the greatest gift is dhamma!), who knows.

Jimmi Hendrix also said it pretty good - " there must be some kinda way out of here.. said the joker to the thief.. too much confusion, I can't get no relief"
    Invincible_summer
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    Thanks Jayantha for the beautiful story. It's very much appreciated!
    BhikkhuJayasara