Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What to do with the dogma

nenkohainenkohai Veteran
edited March 2013 in Buddhism Today
My (young) dharma-practice centers around the Four Noble Truths and the Eight Fold Path. That is all. I realize there are other of the Buddha's teachings, but these seem core. After Buddha's death, it seems much commentary was added that gave rise to the religion itself. Add-ons. Schools arose: "do it this way." And I feel that Buddhism has fallen into religion's trap: that of "thinking" for its adherents. Buddhist orthodoxy.

In a purely practical sense, I am not interested in learning Indian, sanscrit, or Hindi vocabulary (said with respects, however); I am not interested in religious Buddhist ritual.

I AM interested in the Buddha's kernal-truths. I am interested in a personal and consistent dharma practice.

I am not sure what to do with rest of it... "the stuff."

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, some of what is "stuff" may resonate with you as your practice develops. Adopt it if you choose to. It is there for that, not for forcing of ritual or routine to many on the middle way (me included).
    riverflownenkohaiInvincible_summer
  • If there were later Buddhas don't you think they would add to it?

If no later Buddhas then why practice the dharma at all?
  • I am not sure what to do with rest of it... "the stuff."
    Eventually it is all stuff. Use the stuff that is useful. As has been said, stuff changes, what is useful changes. For now the rest can rest easy . . . :)
    riverflownenkohaiInvincible_summerStraight_Man
  • Friends, I realize after reading my initial post, I may have sounded quite pointed in my presentation. I sincerely beg your pardon on that. You all have been gracious in your responses and all speak to me. Thank you for taking the time. All your points are well taken.
    riverflowLucy_Begoodlobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    OP, I think you may (or may not) have fallen into a trap -- the trap of thinking that what we don't personally like in a religion is dogma.
    Invincible_summer
  • Set aside the things that are giving you problems now, and perhaps revisit them at a later date. You may or may not feel differently about some of it. Do realize, however, that just because something doesn't resonate with you, doesn't mean that other people don't benefit from it. Also, I find that despite being a more 'religiousy' buddhist (for lack of a better word, lol) that the school I follow makes me think quite a bit. Ritual, religion, etc. doesn't = no thinking.

I like the fact that Buddhism has different techniques and schools, because we are all different, and what works great for one person won't necessarily for another -- it means more people can have to opportunity to connect with the dharma.
    nenkohai
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The way I see it, is Buddhism IS the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. That is the core, the foundation. All the other "stuff" are mostly things that have come about, whether from Buddha (Siddartha) himself or others along the way, as a way to help practice those core truths. When you read them, they are incredibly simple. As you can tell from posts here, from your own thinking I'm sure, and from anywhere else you read about Buddhist "stuff" putting it into practice is another story. It's very difficult and a huge challenge to walk the walk. So, we need things to help us along, to inspire us, to remind us, to give us and motivation to keep practicing. For me, the other stuff I read, or things I do, support my practice of the core of Buddhism.

There were things I saw others do a year ago that lead me to think "Oooh boy, these are some wacky new agers and I sure would feel foolish doing any of those things." Then in November there I was doing prostrations when I took my refuge vows. Your practice might evolve to include these things. It might not. Either is just fine. When you die you won't be judged on whether you did so many prostrations, what kind incense you had on your altar, how big your Buddha statue was, or which mantras spoke to you. The only thing that really matters in the big picture is how well you strive to practice the core teachings, how you live today, right now. If you don't need the other stuff, you're certainly not obligated to use it.
    nenkohairiverflowInvincible_summerlobster
  • Cinorjer said:

And now I'm hungry for cake. I gotta learn to save these metaphors until after supper.

When I read this earlier today I was on lunch break eating chocolate cake!!
    JeffreyCinorjernenkohai
  • Run it over with your karma.
    nenkohai
  • black_tea said:

I like the fact that Buddhism has different techniques and schools, because we are all different, and what works great for one person won't necessarily for another -- it means more people can have to opportunity to connect with the dharma.

All skilful tools to pull out of the Big Buddhist Toolbox!
  • Buddhas first sermon gave the teaching of the four noble truths and the eightfold path. But remember his audience were wandering aesthetics who had practiced hard for maybe the past eight years or more. So we have all kinds of teachings other than those given at the first sermon because we don't all have the experiences of those wanderers to help us understand the first sermon. For example Buddha gave the teaching that the world was on fire to a group of fire worshippers. He said it was on fire with the fuel of greed, hatred, and delusion. There are many dharma practices to turn us away from the 8 worldly winds: gain and loss, fame and infamy, pain and pleasure, and praise and blame. There are like 60 years of his life all different teachings. My teacher says that the entire dharma is all to help you have confidence and return you to the dharma from those worldly winds. At least that is what I understand, today.
    riverflowStraight_Manlobsternenkohai