Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do you have a porpoise??

graceleegracelee Veteran
edited March 2013 in General Banter
I have been thinking lately about what my purpose is....

I think at that maybe it is to learn how to love.... myself and others

just interested to know what others consider to be their life purpose?

Grace

Comments

• To eat, to walk, to care for others, to breathe, to sleep, to smile, to cry, to love, to die, to live. To learn and know that this is enough.
    DakinichelaLucy_BegoodDaltheJigsaw
  • My porpoise is to stay playful yet do things that make me out of my comfort zone. To bring the play of the mind to the dukkha of the conditional world.
  • To be a Buddha.

Metta or Formless Love seems a good call.
    Most of us cling to notions of love that are causal.
    Spiritual Love does not have a cause only an expression.
    riverflowSabbyLucy_Begood
  • lobster said:

Thank you for that, @lobster ...
  • lobster said:

To be a Buddha.

Metta or Formless Love seems a good call.

This is going to be derailing this thread here a bit so sorry in advance. @lobster doesn't all phenomena come into being due to causation, even the type of compassion you speak of? Yes it is not the type of love you hear people talking about that is riddled with attachment, but surly it has a cause to come into being and a cause to cease?

To kind of put this thread back on track, I have no purpose really as I am an accident, a coming together of causes that bring about this walking talking buffoon. I can give myself purposes if I wish, maybe little ones for daily tasks or longer ones for life commitments, but there is no real purpose for me from what I can see.
  • Causality is just relative truth. Ultimate truth is all of the qualities of awareness that are always there. There is a basic sanity and skill and play. It appears the log caused the ashes after burning, but really the log is non-self and there was never a entity, log. It's easy to see all is fluxional, but then one looks at their awareness in itself but also in the world. The nature of that awareness is a quality of heart. Love and clear sight. In ultimate truth there are no reference points and thus we cannot say log caused fire.

This is applicable to seeing the playfulness of your heart and rejoicing. It's not going to help you be a boyscout and build that fire hehe
    riverflowThailandTomlobster
  • I believe my purpose is to be the best that I can be, and do the best that I can for others.

(Well, that's my answer for this week anyhow) ;)
    riverflowThailandTomlobster
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    gracelee said:

I have been thinking lately about what my purpose is....

I think at that maybe it is to learn how to love.... myself and others

just interested to know what others consider to be their life purpose?

Grace

That's one beautiful porpoise, Grace.
    lobsterJeffrey
  • I recently read a book on existentialism which said that life has no purpose but as humans we have to give life a purpose in order to live a good life. This reflects the Buddha's teaching of the purpose of life is to find a purpose and give yourself whole heartedly to it.

After long consideration i think my porpose is to help others. This may take many forma. By creating a peaceful happy me i can share my happiness and spread some laughter and joy about the place. I think you'll find this is pretty common amonst Buddhist minded peeps. Saying this it should be a way of life rather than a goal in itself, as if by some unfortunate coisidence i died before reaching my goal you could argue my life has no purpose.

Hope my babbling has helped,

All the best.
    vinlynLucy_Begood

• Watch all 4 parts.
    VastmindLucy_Begood
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^^ Awwwww
    *wipes tear from left eye*

May I be able to shade....until
    I see the whole tree.
    lamaramadingdong
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited March 2013
    to grow in wisdom, to resolve karmic issues, and to give to others...... and stuff
  • I believe if you can discover what it means to be a person, and not reduce the life you presently have to the level of some essence or process, then you will also find a real purpose or meaning for your life for the benefit of all.
  • my porpoise is singing this song . . .

I tawt I taw a puddy tat a creeping up on me
    I did I taw a puddy tat as plain as he could be

Happy Easter
    as the Bishop said to the Easter Egg
    graceleeLucy_Begood
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I always seem to come back to creating in my life. Art used to be my primary focus, but over the past few years, I've switched to writing. I don't think I can not create... in some way or another. I suppose it's called inspiration... when the moment strikes and you suddenly feel inexplicably compelled to share your idea with the rest of the world. I've also learned to express myself through music over the past year, but it will probably never be my main focus. Singing and strumming along is mostly just for me.
    lobster
  • @zombiegirl
    hope you sing and strum and share sometime . . . :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    lobster said:

@zombiegirl
    hope you sing and strum and share sometime . . . :)

:) Maybe someday. Since we just bought a new laptop with a built in webcam, I've thought about it. I actually just restrung my uke, so maybe once the strings settle a bit I'll give it a whirl. For the moment, I only jam out with either my grandmother or my fiance's stepdad, lol.
  • Granny and Zombie Jam, sounds good already . . .
    zombiegirl
  • An ever-changing purpose, if that counts. Maybe one day it will be to make someone feel better, the next to educate and perhaps one day to support a family.
    lobster said:

Granny and Zombie Jam, sounds good already . . .

My grandmother is awesome. She plays: piano, bodhran, accordion, and autoharp (and probably more that I don't know about). But when we play together, she usually plays her autoharp and I'm always on my ukulele.
  • Hi thanks for your comments...

May you all discover and fulfill your porpoise.
    riverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Now that you've told me ... my purpose is to have a porpoise ... something I never thought of in the past. Does Walmart have them?
    lobsterriverflow
  • live my life in relative peace and die content.
    that's all.