Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meaning?

edited April 2013 in General Banter
Victor Frankl said humans want meaning, a purpose, more than anything else, more than even money or power. Nobody posting here is successful, either materially or spiritually - no Bill Gates or Buddha here, am I right? Else, we wouldn't be posting here to begin with. So are we sticking to this path because it gives us a sense of purpose?

Just an honest observation; that's all. Let us discuss politely. Thanks.
Wisdom23

Comments

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Life has no intristic meaning; nor is it pointless. It just is.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    You can be successful materially without being Bill Gates and you can be spiritually successful without being a Buddha. "What is the purpose of being alive?" is the biggest question we've been trying to answer forever. I doubt there is a grand cosmic purpose to the existence of human beings, we just want to believe there is because we find our lives and the lives of our loved ones to be of utmost important. But on a cosmic scale? Not a single one of us matters.
    Wisdom23
  • edited April 2013
    The OP is NOT about whether there is a purpose, or what that purpose is. It is about our innate urge to seeking a meaning/purpose no matter what. Is that influencing our so-called practice? That's the question, so the resident Schopenhauers can stop speculating on the grand design.
    BhanteLucky
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    music said:

Victor Frankl said humans want meaning, a purpose, more than anything else, more than even money or power. Nobody posting here is successful, either materially or spiritually - no Bill Gates or Buddha here, am I right? Else, we wouldn't be posting here to begin with. So are we sticking to this path because it gives us a sense of purpose?

Let me see if I can phrase this right... BINGO! :clap:
    Wisdom23
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There is more to the spiritual path than satisfying our wants and needs. Trungpa Rinpoche talked about this masterfully in his book Spiritual Materialism.

What the spiritual life really has to offer are positive feelings that such things as love and compassion have to them like wet is to water. This isn't merely feeling good about satisfying our need to do good, like we might feel if we reached our goal of being able to do 100 push ups. Compassion in itself is a positive emotion that makes us feel good.

It also offers wisdom and insight as a result of study and introspection. This is about more than just repeating words on a page that one has memorized and adopting a particular dogma. It is about developing an authentic, unbiased 'non-view' of the world so that wisdom arises not as a result of some formula, this is X situation therefore one should apply Y solution, but skillful activity arises as a natural flowing of our wisdom mind.
  • I stick to the path because it gets results. If it's not getting results for you, that's worth talking about.
    nenkohai
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    music said:

How do you even measure spiritual success?

And how do you know our spiritual/monetary success?
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • I am with fivebells. I came to Buddhism after trying many many other ways (spiritual and not) of depression management. I would have gladly accepted another way.

But this works. As least as good as any medication I've tried. It also fulfills a spiritual need in me.

I stick to the path because it gives me clarity and a greater release from the grip of depression. Does it inherently give me a sense of purpose? No. Why? Because I already had that when I showed up.
  • FYI - I happen to be very successful in my life and equally as happy.

Why the assumptions that because we post in a forum we are neither?

(never mind... rhetorical question)
    Invincible_summerVastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013

Everyone who enters a meditation practise is inviting a change to their lives.
    What stirs one to approach such a practise, changes like everything else.

To pin everything on what one may or may not want from a practise is to also ignore the efficacy of what the meditation practise actually is.
    That is...
    not being conditioned by whatever we may or may not want.

nenkohaiInvincible_summer
    I don't practice to fulfill a purpose because I don't worry about whether or not I have a purpose. I wear different masks depending what is going on in my life. They change by the minute sometimes, other times by the year or even the decade. Each one serves a purpose. But I don't worry about whether or not my life serves a grander purpose, so no, that is not why I practice.
  • Well I'm certainly not sticking to this path to gain material success :)
    On a more serious note: I'm sticking to this path because it gives me tools to make myself better, even tempered, able to resist temptation (which I really needed "girlwise" and "substancewise"!), resilient and... happy! Happy as in content
    nenkohai
    person said:

What the spiritual life really has to offer are positive feelings that such things as love and compassion have to them like wet is to water. This isn't merely feeling good about satisfying our need to do good, like we might feel if we reached our goal of being able to do 100 push ups. Compassion in itself is a positive emotion that makes us feel good.

It also offers wisdom and insight as a result of study and introspection.

Developing love, compassion, wisdom, and insight is a meaningful purpose, right?
    person said:

This is about more than just repeating words on a page that one has memorized and adopting a particular dogma.

Indeed, that would be meaningless.

music said:

How do you even measure spiritual success?

And how do you know our spiritual/monetary success?
    Successful means having accomplished an aim or purpose. I don't see how it could be argued that anyone posting here has no purpose for doing so, or that their purpose for doing so was meaningless.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    music said:

So are we sticking to this path because it gives us a sense of purpose?

I'm not sure I get a sense of purpose, but this path is better than the one I first designed; that one led me to being close to suicide and in A.A..

In the absence of something better, I'm sticking with this for now.

lobster
    how said:

To pin everything on what one may or may not want from a practise is to also ignore the efficacy of what the meditation practise actually is.
    That is...
    not being conditioned by whatever we may or may not want.

An apparent condition of being human is having a desire for meaning. Religion fulfills a desire for meaning. Doesn't that make sense?
    Nevermind said:

person said:

Developing love, compassion, wisdom, and insight is a meaningful purpose, right?

Is it? Do they have some kind of meaning for you apart from the positive results they bring?
    person said:

Nevermind said:

person said:

Is it? Do they have some kind of meaning for you apart from the positive results they bring?
    I don't think so, at least I can't think of anything. Does that make developing such things a purposeless or meaningless activity?
    It seemed to me like I was saying they had a positive result. I didn't say they were meaningless, so what issue are you taking with my initial post?
    person said:

It seemed to me like I was saying they had a positive result. I didn't say they were meaningless, so what issue are you taking with my initial post?

I'm not sure. I asked if developing love, compassion, wisdom, and insight was a meaningful purpose.
  • My own take:

At best, meaning is something WE ascribe to our lives--it isn't some pre-packaged substance that only requires passive assent. But this doesn't mean therefore that life is meaningless either--because actually 'meaninglessness' is a kind of meaning also.

The problem is that every meaning we ascribe to reality (including meaninglessness or nihilism) is only a perspective, a particular view of the universal. The notion of meaning cuts off other possibilities and limits our openness to situations as they arise in our life right here and now. When something occurs that runs counter to that overall view, we don't accept it for what it is and instead try to fit it into this pre-scribed notion of what it is supposed to 'mean.'

Buddhism for me is the real-isation that life is neither meaningful, nor is it meaningless. It is something prior to any of that. That 'blank page' prior to all that is the spontaneity that deals with life as it is rather than through any meaning-tinted lenses. In this sense, the very notion of meaning and our belief in it is the framework out of which craving arises. 'Meaning' is just another way of saying, 'This is what I expect out of life--this is how things OUGHT to be.' And when events in life run counter to that expectation we suffer. 'Meaning' is just a philosophical way of clinging, and in that sense, meaning of any kind is a source of dukkha, not a resolution of it.

Sometimes we suffer so much that we resort to saying life is therefore meaningless. But even then, there is the original expectation that it ought not be meaningless, otherwise why bother to make the claim. The whole western notion of meaning and meaninglessness is a just one big mistake--no matter what answer is given, the question itself is the real mistake.

personlobsterInvincible_summer
  • Something I wrote in my journal last year on this topic:

Meaningfulness and meaninglessness both stem from the same metaphysical aberration: a resistance to the irreducibility of the present. Even meaninglessness is a kind of negative meaning. Both terms represent an evasion from one’s own response-ability.

Response-ability grows out of the ongoing activity of engagement, which is life itself: the slow birthing of one’s own unique inner necessity—and a liberation from any metaphysical pre-scription, which is a kind of death.
    Invincible_summer
    Nevermind said:

person said:

I'm not sure. I asked if developing love, compassion, wisdom, and insight was a meaningful purpose.
    I'm not really sure I can answer that for you or anyone, we each find our own meaning in different ways, there are no absolutes. So I prefer to just stick with what I see as causes and effects and allow others to say if something has meaning for them or not.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Your attitude is unsuccessful. Just an honest observation; that's all. Can we be any more successful?

:wave:
    riverflow said:

'Meaning' is just a philosophical way of clinging, and in that sense, meaning of any kind is a source of dukkha, not a resolution of it.

Sometimes we suffer so much that we resort to saying life is therefore meaningless.

In Buddhism it is said that life is suffering (or dissatisfaction, if you prefer). And of course it is followed by a very meaningful prescription.

Also, in Buddhism it might be said that any kind of desire may lead to suffering, or as you say, may be kind of a source of dukkha, and not a resolution of it.

Quite a pickle, aye?
    riverflow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    music said:

...... So are we sticking to this path because it gives us a sense of purpose?......

That's why I'm sticking with it.
    I like to think I EARN a sense of purpose.

From what I understand, it's possible to lose the
    senses, but that's another thread, hahaha.
    edited April 2013
    person said:

Nevermind said:

person said:

I'm not really sure I can answer that for you or anyone, we each find our own meaning in different ways, there are no absolutes. So I prefer to just stick with what I see as causes and effects and allow others to say if something has meaning for them or not.
    I wasn't asking you to answer it for me. I'm asking if you find developing love, compassion, wisdom, and insight a meaningful purpose. Don't you know what you feel?

I feel that it is.
    lobster
    Nevermind said:

I wasn't asking you to answer it for me. I'm asking if you find developing love, compassion, wisdom, and insight a meaningful purpose. Don't you know what you feel?

I feel that it is.

I think I was probably a too reactionary in my initial response.

To answer this question as directly as I can, I don't really think of it that way or put it in those terms. In my head I honestly only stick with that developing these qualities has a positive quality on my well being and life, I really don't attach any kind of meaning or purpose onto it.

Maybe the purpose that I have is to be happier than I am now, nothing grand or cosmic.
    person said:

Nevermind said:

I feel that it is.

I think I was probably a too reactionary in my initial response.

To answer this question as directly as I can, I don't really think of it that way or put it in those terms. In my head I honestly only stick with that developing these qualities has a positive quality on my well being and life, I really don't attach any kind of meaning or purpose onto it.

Maybe the purpose that I have is to be happier than I am now, nothing grand or cosmic.
    Buddhism is grand and has a cosmology. Surly you find Buddhism meaningful, yes?
    That's not the way I look at it.
    And you don't want to look at it in a different way?
    If there is a disagreement here I think it is about view and absolutes. This short talk by Thich Naht Hahn is my favorite regarding the Buddhist notion of right view, particularly the part at the end starting at 5:48.

"...In Buddhism all views are wrong views. When you get in touch with reality you no longer have views you have wisdom..."

riverflow
    The view that all views are wrong views is wrong. So if there's nothing right or wrong with views why not admit to having them? Is it because Thich Naht Hahn said that all views are wrong views that we can't admit to having views?
    lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I am not a big fan of the concept of a view because it imparts an unrealistic solidity to itself. This stands in contrast to the fluidity of a deeper truth that everything changes.
    I am OK with any idea that is honestly reassessed in the moment of it's expression to see if it is still true..
    riverflowlobster
    I think what TNH says is true. When we are looking at the world with a view of any sort, we are still adding our story to it. When we stop doing that, then we see reality, the truth and nothing else, and that IS wisdom. When we add our stories to reality, our view is wrong because we are no longer seeing things clearly.

Of course most of us have views. That is why we suffer. Because we aren't there yet. Ideally we wouldn't have them. As TNH explains at the end, when we can look at the world without our views and see only reality, then it's no longer a view that we are seeing the world through.
    riverflowperson
    how said:

I am not a big fan of the concept of a view because it imparts an unrealistic solidity to itself. This stands in contrast to the fluidity of a deeper truth that everything changes.
    I am OK with any idea that is honestly reassessed in the moment of it's expression to see if it is still true..

Maybe this is obvious but I'm having trouble understanding why everything changes except for a view or views.
    edited April 2013
    karasti said:

I think what TNH says is true. When we are looking at the world with a view of any sort, we are still adding our story to it. When we stop doing that, then we see reality, the truth and nothing else, and that IS wisdom. When we add our stories to reality, our view is wrong because we are no longer seeing things clearly.

Of course most of us have views. That is why we suffer. Because we aren't there yet. Ideally we wouldn't have them. As TNH explains at the end, when we can look at the world without our views and see only reality, then it's no longer a view that we are seeing the world through.

Are only views wrong, or are there other things that are wrong?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, TNH may be referring to subjective views. And wrong is largely personal, as each person takes responsibility for his/her wrongness view or view of wrongness.
  • Directly responding to the OP and nothing in between, no I am not bill Gates and neither am I a Buddha, and neither are any others here (maybe apart from @lobster in his head or at the end of the year :p )

But that is not the point, the meaning is the path, that is the goal. if I have grown out of being so damn self centred and selfish, have sprouted a little bit of compassion for my fellow human beings, is that not success and meaning?

I guess you could say that the meaning is whatever you give to it, but the Buddha stated that the meaning was to free oneself of suffering, which can be done IMO. You will suffer physically but that does not mean you should have to suffer on a conscious level.

Um, TNH may be referring to subjective views. And wrong is largely personal, as each person takes responsibility for his/her wrongness view or view of wrongness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he said ALL views are wrong. He didn't distinguish between subjective and objective views. Are only views wrong or are other things wrong also. For instance, is subjectivity wrong? Are cats wrong? Hey wait, objectivity is a view, so that must be wrong too.
  • Nevermind said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he said ALL views are wrong. He didn't distinguish between subjective and objective views.

There's no such thing as an "objective" view (cf. Dhammapada, chapter 1). There is no "view from eternity" which would suggest that there is some vantage point "outside" of existence to see things "objectively." There is no "outside."
    karasti
    riverflow said:

Nevermind said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he said ALL views are wrong. He didn't distinguish between subjective and objective views.

There's no such thing as an "objective" view (cf. Dhammapada, chapter 1). There is no "view from eternity" which would suggest that there is some vantage point "outside" of existence to see things "objectively." There is no "outside."
    Doesn't that apply equally to subjectivity?
  • Nevermind said:

Doesn't that apply equally to subjectivity?

To view something "objectively" is to view it from the outside, as if the observer and observed were two ontologically seperate things. "Objectivity" is just another perspective. And to say "'Objectivity' is just another perspective" is likewise just another perspective.

What "objectivity" is in science is really a model for understanding reality, and within that context, science "works." The problem is when we confuse models of reality (and their respective contexts) with reality itself. It is in that sense that Thich Nhat Hanh says that "all views are wrong."
    riverflow said:

The problem is when we confuse models of reality (and their respective contexts) with reality itself. It is in that sense that Thich Nhat Hanh says that "all views are wrong."

So TNH doesn't believe that models are real? More strangely, why does he believe models are wrong?
  • Thich Nhat Hanh himself does not talk about views as models--that is my understanding of what Thich Nhat Hanh is implying.

Models have a limited context in which they function. Outside of that limited context, they are inappropriate--that is, they don't "work." When you look at any object, you can only see it from that particular perspective. There is no metaphysical sub-stratum to rest securely upon. That is what non-self, emptiness, impermanence, non-abiding, and dependent co-origination all point toward. All views are to be transcended, even Buddhist views. To do otherwise is to cling to the finger rather than to SEE the moon that the finger is pointing at.

The problem is when we cling to one particular perspective and we say this is the Truth, we are claiming a particular view for a universal Truth. People have murdered in the name of that Truth, calling it "God" or communism or capitalism or whatever. This is because of attachment to a view that we claim absolute. But even with less fanaticism, couples argue because neither partner won't see things "my way." Both are trapped in their views, clinging to them, making one another miserable in the process.

Nirvana is non-attachment to views, liberation from views.
    The view that all views are wrong is itself a view, and therefor must be wrong.

Isn't that obvious?

• Liberation from views is not a view. A "view" implies an ontological division between a subject and an object. That is a delusion that gives rise to suffering to begin with. When there is no subject and there is no object there is no viewer nor an object viewed.

But all this is intellectual blather. The point is to real-ise tathata, not to talk about it.
    What you describe is an ontological position...
    I don't think it's healthy to deny our desires.