Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How To Practice The Right View

Namaste

My name is Lejon and I'm here because I'm in need of help from those who know more than me about The Noble Eightfold Path.

I now want to start following the right view and learn what I need about the right view to understand it correctly and to be able to follow it correctly. As far as I know the right view is where to start but of course I would later on learn all I need to know about right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. I will start with the right view as I understand that The Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama) said it was the way to go because you will then get the right view of the rest of the path.

I'm not new to buddhism but I guess I can say that I'm new to following buddhism. Since about 10 years back I have been interested in buddhism and I have since then read a lot and learned a lot and I think I have a pretty good idea of what buddhism realy is and I think buddhism is the most advanced and realistic teaching/religion/faith in the world today.

I want to start with The Noble Eightfold Path but what I also would like to do is to meditate and go as far as the Jhanas when I'm ready for that, it has been a dream since about 4 years back now. So before I ask any questions about meditation I will ask you about the right view and how I should think in right view, I also want to know any good texts that I can read. I ask only one thing though about the information I will recieve, I ask it to be as close to The Buddhas own words as possible, I guess it's the Pali Canon, it can't get any closer than that, right? So it's fair to say that I'm interesting in Theravada Buddhism, the way The Buddha tought it or at least as close as possible.

That's a little about why I'm here.

I ask for help about "The Right View". What do I do to understand and follow "The Right View"? What do I read for texts about it? Is there any good guidelines? I have read some about it but that is more explanations of what it is and not how to use it in real life, I haven't found any good step by step texts on how to practice it. I really would like to learn a easy and understandable way on how to practice it in everyday life. It's like I'm tought how a apple tree feels like, look like, what kind of fruits it produces and all the good things it brings BUT it don't teach me how to plant it, take care of it, produce the fruits and how to eat the fruits. That is what I want to learn now, I think I have a pretty good idea of how good it is, I need instructions on how to use it. I do not live in a sangha but I live a almost holy life compared to the avarage citizen of the world of today. From today and for the rest of this year I will not have any sex, not lie, not steal, not drink alcohol or use any drugs, not use bad words, not talk loud and a lot of other things and after this year I will make some changes but I don't know what yet. I will also use white clothes whenever I do not work or exercise. I take care of my body very well and I do some kind of exercise everyday and I have to eat according to that but I try to do all I do in the best way possible and always looking for better ways to do it. There is many things that limit my options at the moment but I do the best I can with the options I have right now.

I hope I have made my self understandable, I will answer any question about this so just ask if anything is unclear.

Basicly what I'm asking for is a step by step list or guidlines on how to implement The Right View in everyday "modern" life.

I'm gratefull for all help I can get!

Namaste
Invincible_summer

Comments

• :clap:

Bravo. You already have right but a little uptight view.
    http://portal.in.th/i-dhamma/pages/8905/
    “Do everything with a mind that lets go. Don’t accept praise or gain or anything else. If you let go a little you a will have a little peace; if you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace; if you let go completely you will have complete peace. ”
    ― Ajahn Chah

http://blpusa.com/category/buddhism-in-every-step/page/5

:wave:
    Invincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2013
    my understanding of Buddha's teachings says: wrong view is the view which increases greed, hatred and delusion in our mind. this is the view of the ordinary mind covered with ignorance. going against the wrong view is right view. to see conditioned things as impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-mine is right view. understanding 4 noble truths leads to right view.
  • lobster said:

:clap:

Bravo. You already have right but a little uptight view.
    http://portal.in.th/i-dhamma/pages/8905/
    “Do everything with a mind that lets go. Don’t accept praise or gain or anything else. If you let go a little you a will have a little peace; if you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace; if you let go completely you will have complete peace. ”
    ― Ajahn Chah

http://blpusa.com/category/buddhism-in-every-step/page/5

Thanks for the links, I will read and learn!

my understanding of Buddha's teachings says: wrong view is the view which increases greed, hatred and delusion in our mind. this is the view of the ordinary mind covered with ignorance. going against the wrong view is right view. to see conditioned things as impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-mine is right view. understanding 4 noble truths leads to right view.

Then I will need to start at the 4 Noble Truths before go to The Right View? That will become a problem because I do not wish to end all my suffering...I do not wish to not be born again. So eventhough I think that it will lead there, I do not wish to go there. I rather make me stronger to cobe with the unavoidble suffering and make me wiser to avoid suffering that I bring upon my self. But I do wish to use buddhism to be a better person for all things
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Lejon - This page may be helpful.

Bhikkhu Bodhi says that
    the path evolves through its three stages, with moral discipline [right speech, right action, and right livelihood] as the foundation for concentration, concentration [right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration] the foundation for wisdom, and wisdom [right view and right intention] the direct instrument for reaching liberation.
    So although we can sort of cultivate each separately, they are all intertwined and rely on development of the others in some way. That is to say, we can't just cultivate Right View without having also cultivated another.

Anyways, as you may know, Right View is dependent on understanding the law of kamma (not really knowing how it works, but rather the principles behind it) and the three marks of existence.

How do we develop this? To me, it seems that it's all well and good to read about it and understand these concepts as theory, but to really understand them, I think we need to be able to see them in action. Meditation is a good place for learning the nature of the three marks of existence. But for meditation, we need to input Right Concentration and Right Effort.

See where I'm going with this?
    Sabreriverflowperson

• See where I'm going with this?

I do, thanks.

I will from now on not seek any direct order of thing I will do what I feel is right and let things come to me as my God send them to me. Thanks for helping me on my way of a better life!

To all:

Namaste
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • To me, right view is broader than THE right view. When we think there is only one way to see things, we are often wrong. Think religious fundamentalism.
    lobsterInvincible_summerriverflowperson
  • Hi, @Lejon. What is your goal in following Right View?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    The Eightfold Path isn't really something to conquer so much as it is something to bring a little at a time through practice (different practices) into your everyday life. No one can tell you the exact steps to take to fully master Right View (or any of the others) because some concepts must be experienced rather than explained. Right View is difficult because we process through world through judging and perceiving what are are taking in via our senses and the other aggregates. Being able to see reality for what it is without putting our stories on top of it can only happen through diligent practice, in my opinion anyhow. To start working on the Eightfold Path you need a good grasp of the Four Noble Truths. You can't to figure your way out of the problem without knowing what the problem is and what causes it.
    Invincible_summerriverflowLucy_Begood
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I really like The Big View's explanation of the Noble Eightfold Path:
    The Noble Eightfold Path describes the way to the end of suffering, as it was laid out by Siddhartha Gautama. It is a practical guideline to ethical and mental development with the goal of freeing the individual from attachments and delusions; and it finally leads to understanding the truth about all things. Together with the Four Noble Truths it constitutes the gist of Buddhism. Great emphasis is put on the practical aspect, because it is only through practice that one can attain a higher level of existence and finally reach Nirvana. The eight aspects of the path are not to be understood as a sequence of single steps, instead they are highly interdependent principles that have to be seen in relationship with each other.
    Right view is the beginning and the end of the path, it simply means to see and to understand things as they really are and to realise the Four Noble Truth. As such, right view is the cognitive aspect of wisdom. It means to see things through, to grasp the impermanent and imperfect nature of worldly objects and ideas, and to understand the law of karma and karmic conditioning. Right view is not necessarily an intellectual capacity, just as wisdom is not just a matter of intelligence. Instead, right view is attained, sustained, and enhanced through all capacities of mind. It begins with the intuitive insight that all beings are subject to suffering and it ends with complete understanding of the true nature of all things. Since our view of the world forms our thoughts and our actions, right view yields right thoughts and right actions.
    I really can't say it any better, so I just emphasized parts I think are relevant to your question.
    Lejon said:

I will from now on not seek any direct order of thing I will do what I feel is right and let things come to me as my God send them to me. Thanks for helping me on my way of a better life!

You asked about texts to read... We've started a bi-weekly Sutra Club that will post a new sutra/sutta to be studied every other Friday. Feel free to check out and/or contribute to our first discussion on The Kalama Sutta. I think at this point in your study, the points made on evaluating teachings might be important for you to contemplate as you navigate the vast amount of Buddhist literature.
    Invincible_summerriverflowLucy_Begood
  • The four mindfulness: body, feeling (good bad neutral), citta, dharmas (things)
    The five hindrances: sloth, agitation, craving, regret, ill-will
    -------------------------
    the five indiryas: smirti (aware and spacious), virya (energy), samadhi (concentration), prajna (insight), sradda (conviction and embodying teachings = just do it??)

smirti - open
    virya and samadhi balance - clarity
    prajna and sradda balance - sensitivity
    ---------------------------

the three marks = impermanence, dukkha, non-self

-------------------------

The four noble truths

Rigdzin Shikpo wrote a good book on 4 NT called Never Turn Away with a less traditional presentation designed for sacred warriors and westerners.

• Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
    fivebells said:

Hi, @Lejon. What is your goal in following Right View?

My goal is to be a more respectful person by learning and pratcice The Noble Eightfold Path. I do not know any other teachingIreligion that develops a peaceful mind like buddhism, I want to use this peaceful teachings to be a better person for me and for my surroundings. The reason I want to start with right view is because I need to start somewhere and that is where The Buddha said it was the place to start to get the right view of the rest of the path, though I'm aware of that they are all working together. I do wish to follow the rest of the path aswell though.
    Sabre said:

So to learn all of that, takes time. It's a process. It needs experience. Also experience of meditation, because in meditation you can really start to see which subtle changes of mind lead to peace, and which lead to stress. So the more you understand, the easier meditation will also be, and the better you will act in daily life.

I have a strong feeling that I need to start my meditation practice again. My meditation has been on and off for about 4 years, I have never seemed to find the right calm and I have never been getting anywhere. I have tried so many techniques, I have tried guided meditations, I've tried all from 1 minutes sittings and everything in between to around 2 hours sittings, I've also has tried to do all from 1 sitting a day up to 1 sitting an hour. I have tried it all but I have always ended up worse than when I started, It realy feels like I was going backwards and that my mind was getting more and more unsettled so the best thing was to take a break from meditation to calm me down a bit.

So, I really need help if Im going to start meditate. I really want to meditate, I really want to get a strong mind with excellent concentration abillities and all the other things it brings. But how? I'm clueless in this jungle of information about meditation.

My life has changed a lot since the last time I tried to meditate so maybe now I'm more open and ready for it. I would like to know if here is anyone on newbuddhist.com that is able to attain Jhanas? This is where I want my meditation practice to lead, if a meditation practice do not lead to Jhana then that is not a practice for me, I need a practice that eventually will lead to absorbtion, that is for me a proof that you have well developed concentration so that is my goal with meditaton. All other fruits it brings is well appreciated too.

Is here anyone who can attain Jhana with relative ease?
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I believe I entered the first jhana as a teenager after a couple months of practice. I noticed that the five hinderances were bassically gone for a full 3 days. But now that my practice has dimished, I am far off.

I actually read on wikipedia (which is not always the best source) that in order to contemplate the four noble truths properly, you have to attain jhana first.

Do you have a Theravadin Sangha near you? If you do maybe you should go there and get your meditation practice off the ground.

I have a book called "Buddha, his life and teachings. Suffering in this book may be a bad translation of Dukkha. I'd like to point that out.

FIRST STEP

"What, now, is Right Understanding? It is undersatnding the Four Truths. To understand suffering; to understand the origin of suffering; to understand the extinction of suffering; to understand the path that leads to the extinction of suffering: This is called Right Understanding.

Or, when the noble disciple understands what is karmically wholesome, and the root of wholesome karma; what is karmically unwholesome, and the root of unwholesome karma, then he has Right Understanding."
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Ok, as to suffering-- while we live we cannot fully get rid of even our own suffering. We can mitigate it a lot with Buddhistic practice, though. Thus we can become more peaceful. Others who know more than me have explained better so far, so can only add this tidbit.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Just a few thoughts about your posting.

This sounds like not wanting to go to school unless you can be assured that your kindergarten is good enough to lead you into becoming the brain surgeon you always wanted to be. By stepping through the school doors you will learn what is right for you, just as it would be with opening yourself up to meditation but more mental mastication is not that next step.

Meditation is for the loosening of attachments (including those to spiritual abilities), not for solidifying them.

& because of that...

No one here who attains jhana with relative ease is likely to inform you of such abilities.
    Invincible_summerriverflowLucy_BegoodJeffrey
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I can enter first jhana reliably. It is really not that big a deal. The go-to guy for jhanas is Leigh Brasington, although what really got me there was the meditation instructions outlined in the "Basic Instructions" chapter of With Each & Every Breath, which I highly recommend. The key idea with first jhana is to consciously spread pleasure throughout the body, from where ever you find it in the body to start with.
    "Quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, he enters and remains in the first jhana: rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought and evaluation. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. Just as if a skilled bathman or bathman's apprentice would pour bath powder into a brass basin and knead it together, sprinkling it again and again with water, so that his ball of bath powder — saturated, moisture-laden, permeated within and without — would nevertheless not drip; even so, the monk permeates... this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of withdrawal. There's nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal.
    Cultivation of metta is also extremely useful in developing jhana, and will be very helpful to you in your personal-development goals. It can also be used as the basis for "access concentration," which is a necessary precursor to entering first jhana.

Jhana or something like it is necessary to practice the four noble truths as they arise in meditation, but it is not necessary for an intellectual understanding of how it works. For that, the best account I've found is Thanissaro's, but it is pretty heavy going for a beginner. Still, might be worth a look if you're interested in the practice of Right View.

Given your interests in developing yourself through meditation but not going all the way to enlightenment, I suggest you start with Theravada practice in order to develop skill in cultivating first jhana, then take the Bodhisattva vow in some Mahayana school with good insight practices.
    LejonInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    While it is fine to set your sights on things, be cautious about expecting them to occur within a certain time frame. If you sit and expect a particular outcome, you are likely to be disappointed and not continue.
    Invincible_summerJeffrey
  • how said:

& because of that...

No one here who attains jhana with relative ease is likely to inform you of such abilities.

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, it was not my intention.
  • fivebells said:

I can enter first jhana reliably. It is really not that big a deal. The go-to guy for jhanas is Leigh Brasington, although what really got me there was the meditation instructions outlined in the "Basic Instructions" chapter of With Each & Every Breath, which I highly recommend. The key idea with first jhana is to consciously spread pleasure throughout the body, from where ever you find it in the body to start with.

Thank you so much for this! I will read this and start my practice as soon as possible!

I will let you know how it goes fiveballs...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2013
    It really feels like I was going backwards and that my mind was getting more and more unsettled so the best thing was to take a break from meditation to calm me down a bit.

Understood.

Please consider yoga asana, prostrations and walking meditation as a way of grounding the mind/body complex. These practices will settle and calm and perhaps in time allow sitting . . .

Buddhism and Yoga: Where the Paths Cross
    http://www.shambhalasun.com/Archives/Features/2002/july02/paths.htm

Walking meditation
    http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/meditation.html
  • Nice lobster!

I'm interested in yoga and have looked for some different exercises to use in my morning stretching rutine, I have not found any good yoga rutine yet so for now I'm doing ordinary stretching but maybe this would be something for me?

Thanks!

About walking meditation
    I stayed at a temple yearly last year and there we did walking meditation 1 hour before bed every night. Maybe this is something to pick up again.
  • Lejon said:

I stayed at a temple yearly last year...

Oops! It should be early, as in january.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    I can promise you this, if you want to attain jhana, you will never ever get it. Because wanting is craving, and it is craving that causes you to be more uneasy than when you started. Only when you want to let go of craving, do you really get anywhere in meditation.
    lobsterkarastiInvincible_summer
  • Sabre said:

if you want to attain jhana, you will never ever get it

I'm aware of this and this I have heard since I started meditating and therefore I'm very careful about how much a crave for it. Thanks for wantng me to be ware of this important issue.

But, I have also read that if you want to attain jhana then you will have to want it to come or else you wont know what it is and you will not know what to do when it comes and it will go away.

I have not yet attained jhana so I can not say how it is but I can not help to think that everyone who has attained jhana, did everyone not want jhana or there are people who wanted jhana before they attained it.

How should I think about it to not be craving it, maybe I am craving jhana or maybe I just feel like it's a goal that will make me know that I have good concentration. I don't know. If I do not want jhana then I would do meditatons that do not lead to jhana. This is something I think about a lot.

How exactly should I think about jhana before I attain it?
  • Lejon said:

Sabre said:

I'm aware of this and this I have heard since I started meditating and therefore I'm very careful about how much a crave for it. Thanks for wantng me to be ware of this important issue.

But, I have also read that if you want to attain jhana then you will have to want it to come or else you wont know what it is and you will not know what to do when it comes and it will go away.

I have not yet attained jhana so I can not say how it is but I can not help to think that everyone who has attained jhana, did everyone not want jhana or there are people who wanted jhana before they attained it.

How should I think about it to not be craving it, maybe I am craving jhana or maybe I just feel like it's a goal that will make me know that I have good concentration. I don't know. If I do not want jhana then I would do meditatons that do not lead to jhana. This is something I think about a lot.

Hi there :):

In buddhism there is "wholesome wish", that is more like a determination.
    Example: I want to graduate from university. I know its my goal, but i dont have repetitive thoughts about it (Clinging), it doesnt even bother me.

U recognize "unwholesome wish" when u notice u are having repetitive thoughts and tightness in the mind/body (craving manifestation).

Sabre
  • Thanks newtech, that makes is a little bit more easier to know how to think about it. I do not think I crave jhana, I think I did 4 years ago but now, no. But back then my whole life was at a much higher "speed", my mind was in a higher "speed".
    edited April 2013
    Sabre said:

I can promise you this, if you want to attain jhana, you will never ever get it. Because wanting is craving, and it is craving that causes you to be more uneasy than when you started. Only when you want to let go of craving, do you really get anywhere in meditation.

This confuses jhana practice with the ultimate fruit of the practice. In and of itself, craving for attainment of a practice goal has no harmful or counter-productive effects, especially for a beginner.

The anapanasati instructions say to put aside greed and distress with reference to the world. Greed and distress regarding spiritual progress is explicitly encouraged in the Pali sutras.

Thanissaro's The Paradox of Becoming outlines the role of intention and desire on the path in great detail.
    This is precisely what the Buddha attempted, and he found that the strategy
    worked. Becoming could be allowed to end through creating a specific state of
    becoming—the condition of mental absorption known as jh›na—watered by
    specific types of craving and clinging.
    This type of becoming, together with its
    appropriate causes, is what constitutes the path he later taught. Once the path
    had done its work, he found, it could be abandoned through a process of
    perceptual deconstruction, and the quest for the end of suffering would be
    complete. Freed from both suffering and becoming, the mind would be totally
    released from the limitations of any identity or location—a freedom that beggars
    the imagination, but captures it as well.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Lejon said:

Sabre said:

Hi,

You are very welcome.
    In my experience, this is not true. Jhana (and all insight too) comes when the time is right. Not when we want it or think we need it. Because of delusion, we want the wrong things and we also seek insight in the wrong things.
    I find it generally much better to see what jhana is not. It is the absence of the hindrances: sense desire, aversion, restlessness, sleepiness, doubt - those things. If you understand and have seen (the way to) jhana, the desire for it may be not so much a problem. Because you know the way is of no desire. A desire for no desire is good. But if you have not seen, I assure you it will give rise to one or more of these hindrances, desire and mostly restlessness. The mind wants to get somewhere, attain something, and that keeps it from being at peace.

Let me end by saying the translation 'concentration' is not really the best. Because usually when we hear the word concentration, we think we have to force it. In jhana, it's not like that.

Also, let me be clear to you, there are a lot of different opinions on what is jhana and what is not. Some people claim some state to be jhana, while others say it is not (yet) jhana. Just to clarify some of the mixed responses you'll get.

The most important thing is, seek peace in meditation above anything else. It's peace you want, and if you aim for that, that's already much more skillful than aiming for "concentration". This fits well with the lute strings advise of @federica . Don't stress yourself. That'd be a shame. :)

Kindness,
    Sabre
  • federica said:

I would think that if that were his name, he would be a porn star, not an active member of nb.... ;)

I'm sorry fivebells! A honest mistake...
    federica said:

Lighten up. This is supposed to be fun. It's not a hard race which you must win at all costs or else.
    The competition is only with yourself....

I don't know but I just want to do what is right and make it work, maybe that is making me a bit tense. I do have fun and I enjoy this quest very much, sorry if that does not show.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You shouldn't be 'a bit tense'. That is a sign that some of your practice causes you a light degree of stress. This means that your Effort is wrong.

The Noble Eightfold path is not a guidance list in Chronological Order.
    It is true that the "8 spokes* hinge on 3 factors:
    Wisdom, Conduct and Concentration.

But no spoke is truly number one, and no spoke is truly number 8.
    They are co-dependent and all work together to support the whole.
    Therefore, Right View depends on Right Effort, and Right Concentration, just as Right Livelihood depends on Right Intention.... they all interact.

In order to get one right, you have to get them all right.
    personstavros388
  • Sabre said:

The most important thing is, seek peace in meditation above anything else. It's peace you want, and if you aim for that, that's already much more skillful than aiming for "concentration". This fits well with the lute strings advise of @federica . Don't stress yourself. That'd be a shame. :)

You are right, it's the peace I'm after so I will start with that and see where it will lead.

Thank you all! I have so much new information from all of you today. I really appreciate it!
  • @Sabre, that is bad advice for a beginner. The strategy of just stepping back and letting things come apart of their own accord is only effective after long training in explicit deconstruction of gross karmic processes. Most people who think they are practicing "choiceless awareness" and related meditations are actually fooling themselves, because there is a lot going on under the surface.

If you want to disagree on the definition of jhana and say what I'm talking about is not real jhana, I don't really care what we call it, though your claims at odds with the instructions for and description of first jhana in the anapanasati sutra. (See for instance the bathman simile I quoted above, which involves a self engaged in the goal-oriented behavior of spreading pleasure throughout the body.) The important thing from my perspective is that in my experience, the method I am proposing leads to good results in line with @Lejon's stated goals.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    fivebells said:

@Sabre, that is bad advice for a beginner.

That's your opinion and be free to have it. But I think it is a very good advice, perfectly in line with the suttas. I don't feel like arguing about it, because I'm sure Lejon is wise enough to test out for himself what works.

(By the way, the anapanasati sutta makes no mention of jhana explicitly)

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2013
    Well, it's not really my opinion, I learned it from Thanissaro Bhikku. :) As I said, he argues this in detail (and with extensive reference to the Pali Canon) in The Shape of Suffering.

Some other shorter discussions of his on the same topic:

The Agendas of Mindfulness:
    Still, though, you have an agenda, based on the desire for Awakening — a desire that the Buddha classed, not as a cause of suffering, but as part of the path leading to its end. This becomes clearest in the satipatthana focused on mental qualities in and of themselves. You acquaint yourself with the unskillful qualities that obstruct concentration — such as sensual desire, ill will, and restlessness — not simply to experience them, but also to understand them so that you can cut them away. Similarly, you acquaint yourself with the skillful qualities that foster discernment so that you can develop them all the way to release.
    Choiceful Awareness
    Sometimes our problems as meditators are that we know too much, we've read too much about meditation. We know what happens at the end and given our general impatience we want to rush to the end, what we've heard about, all the wonderful things that happen when you gain discernment and insight arises. Hence we try to go straight there without buillding the foundation, without mastering the skills that are needed for that insight to happen, to have that really desired effect, which is to train the mind to not create suffering for itself. So it's important to remember that what we are developing is a skill, and a skill has to go through some very basic steps.

And it's important to look at some of the teachings we tend to look at as kindergarten teachings. They really are, they're basic because they're important, like the basic principle of karma, that our lives are being shaped by the choices we make, but we'd rather go straight to choiceless awareness, where everything is OK. And it is true that at the moment of awakening, the mind is not making choices. It's finally arrived at a spot where we're not making any choice. It opens to the deathless. But to get to that point, you have to practice choiceful awareness first. In other words, being very clear about the choices you're making. For instance right now you could be staying with the breath or you could be focusing on something else. You could be breathing in one way, or you could be breathing in another. You could be perceiving the breath simply as the air coming in and out of the nose, or you could be perceiving the breath as a kind of energy. And you could perceive that energy as flowing or as still. There are lots of choices, and the fact is, we're making a lot of decisions all the time. The problem is a lot of those decisions are being made on default mode, so we're hardly aware of them. So if you think you're practicing choiceless awareness, what's actually happening is that you're closing your eyes to the choices that you're making.
    SabreInvincible_summerNirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Keep on topic, guys.... Good discussion, but it may be more pertinent to do it via PMs if you want. Or a new thread, even....

We're discussing the OP's questions, here.

Thanks!
    Sabre
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Just a note. The jhanas are impermanent. You cannot be in jhana all day and it may be that you get frustrated. I have attained some serene states where my head felt very nice and I had effortless patience to meditate long. But that was only 2 meditations sessions of very many I only felt ordinary. If I were obsessed with jhana it might cause suffering by trying too hard and get additionally distressed.

Still you are absolutely right if your aim is jhana to ask some people who know about that. I am just saying it cannot be enlightenment because it is an EXPERIENCE and not the nature of the mind itself.
    SabreInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Here is what Lama Shenpen Hookham said in Buddhism Connect dharma emails of teacher and student examples:
    Meditative absorption is not enough

Summary: In this dialogue with a student, Lama Shenpen explains that being absorbed in meditation (a state known as dhyana or shamatha), while pleasant does not bring liberation, because it will eventually come to an end. It is better to link directly to the path to Awakening by taking Refuge, connecting to a lineage through a teacher and aspiring to awaken.

Student:

I am not convinced about either karma or rebirth. I do find them inspiring and motivating but my logical mind can (seemingly) refute each of them. What if rebirth and karma do not exist?

Lama Shenpen:

You could think that even if they don’t turn out to be true at least by living as if they were you will be acting skilfully, and the results will be happiness.

Student:

Why not just learn to enter dhyana and then you have a resort to feel better and extend good energy to your day. You could still be a decent person and share loving bonds. The dyana would help to develop all of the loving qualities I imagine.

Lama Shenpen:

Not all the loving qualities but yes, some of them to some extent. The temptation to find a place in samsara where one feels better, peaceful and loving is strong isn’t it?

The problem is that if it is still samsara then sooner or later you end up at square one or worse. You have taken birth as deluded being and entering a dyana state is not liberation.

It is important to understand the difference between practising just to make good karma and have a more pleasant life (at least for the time being) and practising to connect to the path to complete and perfect awakening.

You can only go to the place you aim for. You don’t arrive at complete and perfect awakening just by chance. To aim for it you have to understand the difference between a dhyana state such as limitless space, awareness, nothingness etc. [different levels of meditative absorption] and the kind of knowledge that enables us to see the true nature of existence. The latter is the knowledge that liberates.

Even if we don’t make it to realising that knowledge fully in this life at least by aspiring for it and connecting to a lineage that does have it we are in the right mandala and the mandala has a dynamic of its own that keeps us connected. That is the point of taking Refuge.

Once you understand this there is no harm in using the dhyanas sometimes.

Student:

If I could just go into dhyana and feel really good wouldn't that fulfil what my heartwish is longing for?

Lama Shenpen:

Temporarily perhaps. But it's not easy to attain dhyana. And why all that effort if it’s not permanent?

Student:

That is the motivation of my meditation I realize - because you don't really feel good unless the heart is honoured. My aim is to just have those times when you can sit with what’s painful as a sensitive mixture of pain and pleasure. If I have equanimity to the pain it gets more and more peaceful and pleasurable.

Lama Shenpen:

Yes, you have to honour the heart. Yes, equanimity is what we are aiming for.

Student:

I don’t feel this is going away from your teachings on spaciousness, because those must be a part of dhyana, but I just wondered about dhyana. Could I just make dhyana almost an intermediary refuge, a middle man, if you will, between me and the Dharma?

Lama Shenpen:

Why do that? Why not simply focus on the Dharma? Some level of dhyana or shamata is necessary for that. So there is no need to give up your longing for Dharma in order to focus on dhyana or shamata - that is what you need to do at least to some extent in order to practise Dharma. It seems to me that you have a heartwish for peace and equanimity. Perhaps you have just started wondering if there is a way of achieving dhyana that works better than what you are doing now. That is a reasonable thing to be wondering.

In the Mahamudra and Dzogchen traditions they teach that the faster route is not to bother to develop the dhyanas but to go straight for the path of adhistana (blessing) and open up to all experience rather than trying too hard to control what arises in the mind. The reason is that dhyanic states don’t last forever and when they end the suffering can be terrible. And all you can do then is again seek the path to awakening and follow it. So you may as well do that now. Why not?

If you keep the Refuge and the Bodhisattva motivation very strong in your mind you won’t go far astray and your mind will certainly become happier and more peaceful. Then by all means cultivate shamata or dhyana to the degree that you can and is helpful for furthering your understanding of Dharma. That is a good aspiration to have.
    person
    edited April 2013
    fivebells said:

Given your interests in developing yourself through meditation but not going all the way to enlightenment, I suggest you start with Theravada practice in order to develop skill in cultivating first jhana, then take the Bodhisattva vow in some Mahayana school with good insight practices.

Hmm, @Lejon, rereading your post, I think I must have confused you with someone else on this point. Sorry. Anyway, I agree with @Jeffrey that jhana does not constitute the whole of the path. (Though I don't think anyone was saying anything different in this thread.)
    Jeffrey
  • fivebells said:

I think I must have confused you with someone else on this point.

Well, I did say in a early post something about that I do not want full enlightenment, I do not want to end all suffering and I do not want to end rebirth. I want to make myself stronger to deal with unavoidble suffering, wiser to avoid suffering I bring upon my self.

I have created my own religion and I have a God but this was born through buddhism, maybe in a way that buddhism was born through hinduism. I will use the good thing in buddhism that will help me to achive my goals in my "teachings", to be a strong, healthy, longliving, loving and respectfull human being.

One of my mottos:

"Love n' Respect Everything"

If I start to teach my teachings to other people, the first thing I'm going to teach them is to attain jhana and when they can attain jhana then their minds are ready to be tought and understand the rest. So I do not crave jhana as an escape from reality but as a tool to use on my path to be a better human being with greater understanding.

My way is to be stronger and to live a life with suffering and the buddhist way is to end all suffering. It's 2 different ways and I think that none of them is wrong, but I do think that these 2 are the best ways we can choose to live our lifes.

I think of The Buddha's way as the Monk's way. I think of my way as the Warrior's way. It's all up to what you want in life. Who knows, maybe I end up as a monk in old age but until then I choose the warriors way. In any case, buddhism will always be my friend and rolemodel, there is no other religion, teaching or faith I turn to for guidence.
  • Cool. Have you ever read Trungpa Rinpoche's, the sacred path of the warrior?
  • No, I have not, but it sounds interesting though.
  • It's a good book, in line with your philosophy. The main title is "Shambhala," the warrior part is the subtitle.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Lejon said:

how said:

& because of that...

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else, it was not my intention.
    I took no offense and discerned no intent to offend.
    Jhanas arise naturally in a sincere meditative practise. Most monks are reticent to make much of a deal about them because their hands are already full of students seeking something graspable in a practise which is really about letting go of such grasping.

To just focus on absorption or concentration is to ignore some of the most fundamental Buddhist teachings on the importance of balancing them with the other spokes of the 8FP. That is why right concentration is not portrayed as a pillar or a staff but just as one spoke of eight that makes a balanced wheel.

I would have spoken this same way if anyone had come here making any of the other spokes, a holy grail. The one practise that's harder on one's sense of identity than asceticism is balance for it leaves no room for it to hide.

The teachings about the strings of a musical instrument that play best, somewhere between too tight and too loose, is a lesson most of us relearn over & over.
    but all the spiritual planning in the world to play it can't compare to actually strumming it..
    JeffreypersonInvincible_summer
  • I want to make myself stronger to deal with unavoidble suffering.
    You wish us to increase your propensity for delusion, to avoid the unavoidable and potentially delude others?
    Your situation seems far worse than first indicated. A little insight, experience and knowledge is a dangerous thing. Setting unrealistic or impossible goals (have I mentioned I expect to be Enlightened shortly . . . recently . . . :) )

In Buddhism there are six realms, you are largely in the God realm. This may seem 'better' to you . . .
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/tp/Six-Realms-of-Existence.htm

howpersonpommesetoranges
  • Woh woh. Ok, hold your horses a bit. You put words in my mouth! What is the reason for that? Are you practicing buddhism or are you just "teaching"?
    lobster said:

I want to make myself stronger to deal with unavoidble suffering.
    You wish us to increase your propensity for delusion, to avoid the unavoidable and potentially delude others?
    First of all, I did not once say that I want to avoid the unavoidble suffering, lol, not even in the quote you posted.

Second if I can help others to get a more open mind, how is that making them deluded? I would never teach anyone to avoid the dhamma or follow the way of The Buddha, actually the other way around, I would encourage to follow the way of the buddha and I would have buddhist monks teaching the dhamma me. I will focus the most of my energy on my training, warrior exercise training. I can not teach all by my self, even though I will first learn to attain jhanas before I can ask anybody else learn to attain them. I do how ever see them as a excellent way to start from what I've read about them.
    lobster said:

I want to make myself stronger to deal with unavoidble suffering.
    Your situation seems far worse than first indicated. A little insight, experience and knowledge is a dangerous thing. Setting unrealistic or impossible goals...
    How is my goals unrealistic and impossible? What is it that is so impossible?
    All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.
    Can you guess who said that. Is that saying that anything is impossible? What is impossible of what I say I want to do? Well, it all would be impossible if I thought it would be impossible that's for sure.

And this...
    Florian said:

Oh boy. I think maybe you are getting ahead of yourself. You crave jhana yet are already planning to teach other people about it; you have rejected Buddhism for your own form of theism; you reject the idea that suffering is illusory; you do not want what jhana practice produces just the bits you like; you judge your ideas to be as correct as the Buddha's, and, well, it all seems like a recipe for a train wreck. I'd recommend clearing all this stuff out of your head and reading about beginner's mind.

So I'm craving jhana, ok. I have rejected buddhism for my own theism. I reject the idea that suffering is illusory. I do not want what jhana practice produces just the bits I like. I judge my ideas to be as correct as Buddha's. From what I've written in this thread you are so sure of this that you write this to me. I really hope you are right because what would you be a kind of person if you were wrong about it and to send a such negative comment to someone you do not even know.

I have to say that my thoughts is not something I came up with this year or the last...this is something that has grown to existens over the last 13 years. This is not something I planned, this is something that God has showed me. Sure I can be wrong about it but I will keep putting my whole heart in it to make it work like it is written in the stars. I can not listen to closeminded people that keep telling me how impossible everything is. You do not know how many "impossible" things I've done in my life allready. If I would listen to people of what I can do and not do I would be dead a long time ago. So do not worry, I could not care less about comments that tells me how ipossible things is, it is the people who say the comments that should worry.

The only thing I will defend is that I have never rejected Buddhas teachings, not once! I will walk another path, yes, but that do not mean I have rejected his teachings. I have even said something like: "How knows, maybe when Im old I will become a monk". There is so much that you do not know about me and the path I'm on still you have so much to say, a lot of it negativ as well. It is sad to read but not surprising, the negativity is everywhere in the world to day, even in buddhism, lol. Is that not a sign who messed up this world is? lol

One of the main reasons for me to choose my own path was of the condition buddhism is today. It has so many branches and so many people say that Tha Buddha said different things. Buddha did not self write anything down and all we have is sometimes bad translations that people fight about what is the right. To me it has become a circus and I need a clear path and I have found God who has been my teacher. God has sent me buddhism, God then showed me what condition buddhism is in, then he showed me a new path what will come next I do not yet know. If Buddha was here today he would be my teacher but his not and who am I supposed to listen to now? What translation from what man? Nope...a new way is what I have been shown and how much it will be like buddhism I do not know yet, I do know though that I will not call it buddhism and make it even more complicated for those who seek "real" buddhism.

Today I can controll my temper very good, God has tought me well. This is why I'm this calm but I get really furious of negativity especially when it comes from people who are "teaching" buddhism. I save all my anger until the exact right moment in martial arts compitions, so I guess thank you for the fuel. It is sad though that we just can not have an open discussion, it would lead us so much further.

It's only some who comes with this negativity and many people are very kind, nice and helpful I would like to point that out. Some people just have a inner need to tell people what they can and can not do and not even buddhism seems to help them.

I will end with another quote from the same man as above:
    However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you If you do not act on upon them
    Jeffrey
  • How is my goals unrealistic and impossible? What is it that is so impossible?
    Perhaps you can answer this for us after considering if it is possible?
  • Do you want me to answer my question for you?

That answer do you have to wait for, how long only God knows. Everyday I live my life like I will achive my goals of being a better human, stronger human and then teach that to others. How ever impossible that may seem. lol