Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you do if a friend is in a harmful path?

I've had a fall-off recently with someone I considered a friend. He turned out to be something I can't stand: homophobic. And also vengeful. I tried to tell him these sorts of things aren't good and they hurt him and others. But he saw it as me being self-righteous and a dictator of sorts. I actually was trying to help him, steer him away from that. Was that a good thing to do? Should I've just let him be? Is it possible or beneficial to be friends with someone with such views, especially if your are quite contrary?

Comments

• John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited April 2013
    If you can find a skillful way of reducing someone else's suffering (and he is suffering) then you are obliged to do what you can.

You yourself say: "He turned out to be something I can't stand", so it sounds like there is some aversion there on both sides.

It's hard to be skillful in communication when there is aversion present.
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    edited April 2013
    It's a real test for your tolerance and compassion. It's easy to be compassionate to the ones we love and think alike, but not to people who we think to be different or wrong. The friendship may be beneficial for both of you if you can accept each other, but it's up to you to make this choice.
    riverflowLucy_Begood
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    There is no one answer to your question.

You have to decide if his attributes are worthy or not worthy of your friendship. It's sort of like that saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff; it's all small stuff." The first half of that I agree with -- don't pick at every little peccadillo. But, on the other hand, it's not all small stuff. Some things do matter. Yesterday I went to see that film "42" about Jackie Robinson (which by the way, is a near-perfect film, even if you don't like baseball). It was interesting to watch the interpersonal dynamics between White people (including the players) and how some struggled with their long held and ingrained beliefs. So, is your friend a lost cause in terms of homophobia and vengeance?

But I will also say that there's one thing I can't personally stand -- nagging. Whether I'm right or wrong, if you nag me about something, the friendship/relationship is over.
    Jeffrey
  • I know few will agree with me even most of the time, let alone all the time. Homophobia that is not so agressive, I can accept. For instance, if someone says: "I think homosexuality is wrong.". That's quite different from: "They are deviants and shouldn't be allowed to kiss in public, marry nor adopt." Why try to take rights, when there should be more given? Why impose your view on society? I was not so much trying to make him favor the community as trying to making him less radical and let us be. Guess I took it personally, as I'm LGBT.
    On being vengeful. Also, it's extreme. Some people seek vengeance because they are so hurt they can't stand there and forgive. But he delights in it. Like he wants to bathe in other's misery. That's more like cruely, not just vengeance.
    He also has that tendency to dismiss people who try to be good as stupid. It's just too much. I do wonder if I've done bad, which is why I'm asking. I was possibly very forward in my beliefs and intolerant of his. But it is so difficult to be tolerant of intolerance...
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't care much what views people hold (even if I don't like them at all) as long as they are not using those views to prevent others from having equal rights. I don't care if you don't like gay people, but don't use your religion or your beliefs to keep them from having rights. However, it gets stickier when you have to apply that to yourself on issues that are less clear.

For example, my town is at odds with each other over a proposed mine in the area. I am not in support of the mining, 90% of the town does support it. In MY view, I am working to protect the environment. Our town relies on it for tourism as well as the extensive wildlife and plant life and clean water that we have here. It can all be ruined in a heart beat, as has happened every single time this mining company has operated anywhere else in the world. So me, my view is right and theirs is wrong. However, in their view, they want jobs. They want the kids schools to have more money. They don't want to have to work at ShopKo for $7 an hour just to have health benefits. Some of the people working those jobs are 70 years old, and cannot afford not to work, even for $7 an hour. I feel for them, but I still don't think mining is the right way to go (as if a mine is going to have 70 year olds underground anyhow).

But when they look at me, they see someone who wants to hurt their loved ones by not allowing them to have well paying, benefited jobs. I don't think short term gain for long term consequence is a fair trade. They do. Each of us thinks the other is hurting people. But your darn tootin' if comes to a vote (which it won't but I write my congressmen on it all the time), I will vote on my side which means voting to take away jobs and financial security and health care form people who need it.

So, it's not as easy to look at it that way when you are the one taking something away from people when you think it's the right thing to do. The people who vote against gay rights, feel equally as strong that it is the right thing to do as what I am doing. So that makes it hard. In my case, it's easy to look at it and say "i am trying to protect people form things they are refusing to see." But people who are against gay rights for religious reasons think the same thing. So what is to say I am in the right and they are not? In the end, it only comes down to being able to do our best and not judge others because they are doing the same thing. And believe me, it's hard to do, because I've been involved in the gay marriage fight heavily in my state and trying to work on compassion for some of these people is really, really hard.
    Lucy_BegooddhammacittaJeffrey
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    karasti said:

I actually find that the more these people who are closed minded and hold so strongly to their harmful beliefs, are nagged and have it thrown at them that their views are wrong, the more strongly they hold onto them.

I agree completely. The important thing is to not let someone elses ill feeling (on whatever grounds) get a hold on you and drag you down.
    Lucy_Begood
  • @karasti You're absolutely right. He did say he was then not be such a goodie-goodie anymore. That's a wake-up call for me. I'll try to be a role-model more than a preacher from now on.
    John_SpencerLucy_Begood
  • From my observations, it is virtually impossible to change someone else's socio-political views by discussing them. When I was younger, I tried, and my success rate was exactly zero.

If your friend knows you are LGBT and still treats you well, I say just leave them be and avoid the topic when it comes up. Little by little they'll probably lighten up as they see a counter-example to their homophobic views (you). But if they have an issue with you being LGBT and/or make you uncomfortable then you probably need to say goodbye. Don't try to be a saviour-- there are plenty of other things you could devote your life energy to and actually achieve some degree of success.

Finally, when I immigrated to the West, I came from a homophobic culture. I was probably as homophobic as your friend. Over the years, from knowing some gays, I gradually realized that I was brainwashed by my culture and my views needed adjustment. It took about 6-7 years. If anyone tried to confront me about the issue head on, I'd probably freak out and get defensive.

Good luck and don't carry the weight of the world upon your shoulders-- it is too heavy ;)

MaryAnnedhammacittariverflowJeffrey
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I just want to say that I know just how you feel, @dhammacitta. I have a friend whom I've known since I was in elementary school, and recently I've discovered that he's turned into a super-conservative Christian who curses about Muslims and immigrants and "the gays." It hurts me to see my friend like that, but I just try to avoid those topics when I'm around him and walk my own path.

Friendship is worth more than being "right." Unless your friend starts advocating harming others.
    personriverflow
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

I've had a fall-off recently with someone I considered a friend. He turned out to be something I can't stand: homophobic. And also vengeful. I tried to tell him these sorts of things aren't good and they hurt him and others. But he saw it as me being self-righteous and a dictator of sorts. I actually was trying to help him, steer him away from that. Was that a good thing to do? Should I've just let him be? Is it possible or beneficial to be friends with someone with such views, especially if your are quite contrary?

Usually when someone falls of the path of virtue we try to help them but the majority of the time you end up watching their slow decline and Self destruction, Deluded pride is its own best friend, how can you help those who do not wish for it ?

It is better to avoid the company of fools but that means we always have leave the door of compassion open. :)
  • Most of my family are beyond Buddhist help or inclination. They change a little but they are able to find their own way - or not. They can choose to sleep and engage in negativity or other samsara ups and downs. It is not my vocation, inclination or duty to force them into where I am yet to be . . . I have to be around them. I do as much as is possible . . . they are family . . .

Friends I can choose. You don't need to abandon, just add good companions, sangha.
    person
  • I think it comes down to how you approach those subjects with your friend. Coming off as nagging or holier than thou is likely to make people tune you out. Likewise, constantly correcting them about every little thing is also going to be less than effective. And yet, some stuff needs to be said, especially when someone is really engaging in inappropriate and/or harmful behavior.

However, the only think you can do is say what needs to be said. The rest is up to them. You can't ultimately change a person unless they want to change -- it's in their hands. I discovered that the hard way a few times. If you find yourself drifting away from this person because of his attitude, then that's ok. There are people that I drifted away from, because our friendship was becoming toxic to me. I didn't fight or anything like that, just didn't do anything to encourage the relationship. I am lucky in the case of one person who happened to move quite a distance from me, so that took care of things on it's own. It's up to you whether you feel like you can be their friend or not, I don't think it's wrong to walk away.

I would try to let any anger or frustration towards them go, however. I found myself holding on to a lot of negative feelings towards the friend who moved long after she was for the most part gone from my life. I still have some of those feelings come up. If I had had a better way of dealing with them then, they might not be so ingrained now.
    dhammacitta
  • I just want to say that I know just how you feel, @dhammacitta. I have a friend whom I've known since I was in elementary school, and recently I've discovered that he's turned into a super-conservative Christian who curses about Muslims and immigrants and "the gays." It hurts me to see my friend like that, but I just try to avoid those topics when I'm around him and walk my own path.

Friendship is worth more than being "right." Unless your friend starts advocating harming others.

I am sorry, but I disagree. this isn't about being right or wrong. This is about basic human decency - not to discriminate against people, not to be a bigot, etc. And if a 'friend' were to be so hateful, then we should wonder about the foundation of such friendships. Friendship is not something intrinsically good or superior that we should make compromises regarding some very basic principles.
    SillyPutty
    music said:

I am sorry, but I disagree. this isn't about being right or wrong. This is about basic human decency - not to discriminate against people, not to be a bigot, etc. And if a 'friend' were to be so hateful, then we should wonder about the foundation of such friendships. Friendship is not something intrinsically good or superior that we should make compromises regarding some very basic principles.

Hey, this time I agree with you! :D With the caveat that we can't expect or demand too much from people.
    Invincible_summer
  • @karasti - well said.
    Some of us have to deal with unkind people, through work, family, environment, old friends. The important thing is developing better friendship, inspiring sangha, good companions.

If you are on the spiritual path and still hateful or unkind, you have work to do. If you angry, bigoted, racist or have a bad attitude, you have work to do. Look at the 8 fold path, it is moral and ethical behaviour. You wish to change but not change? Dream on.

Buddhism changes people for the better . . .
    riverflow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @music and @karasti:

I see what you're getting at, and I agree to an extent. However, I feel like since we're talking very abstractly, it's hard to really determine where to draw the line (and of course the line is different for everyone). It seems we all have imagined a different level of bigotry for this hypothetical friend.

If a friend makes occasional remarks about Muslims that are blatantly stereotypical but not necessarily outright hateful, I would say that that's nothing to really take a firm stand on. In my view, personal opinions and remarks that are more or less kept private are the individual's own problem. They are creating suffering for themselves by cultivating prejudice.

BUT

If a friend outright promotes discrimination and encourages hate towards other people, god forbid engages in hateful activity towards others then that's obviously a situation to take a stand and burn bridges. Bringing that stuff into public is, in my opinion, far worse than muttering stuff under their breath or making comments to friends. But I think if a friend is that bigoted, the friendship will see its own course without any need to take action.

I guess I am trying to differentiate between prejudice and hate, the latter of which is where I tend to lump in "treating others badly" and outright discrimination.
    It's about what IS right.
    @karasti, I don't mean to pick on you, but let's use your example of that woman you knew who made the comment that "no Arab can ever be a real American."

While to most of us, that's a pretty narrow-minded opinion, it's just that - an opinion. It's not intrinsically "wrong." Similarly, saying that anyone who lives in America *is* "American" isn't intrinsically "right" either.
    Isn't it up to the individual to decide how they identify themselves? Saying "No! They are Americans!" could offend some people just as much because they feel like they are being forced to give up their heritage and assimilate.

My choosing to stop associating with her in real life and on FB had more to do with the ensuing conversation that happened due to her statement than the statement itself. She believes all Arabs are inherently bad people and that they shouldn't be allowed in our country (nor should anyone else, she wants to stop immigration entirely, stop offering asylum to people and so on) because we are better off keeping America for Americans and leaving everyone else to suffer in their own countries. She had a whole lot to say that indicated true racism and she actually believes that all Arabs are basically terrorists in waiting. Is this her opinion? Sure, I guess. But it's not an opinion that I wish to have in my life so she is no longer in my life. I have good friends who are Arab. I have many friends who were not born American citizens but who are far more open minded and caring about their country than she is. She is basically a "America for the whites!" type of person, which I had no inkling of until this conversation happened. I've known her since she was 8 years old. In deciding to no longer associate from her, it had more to do with me not wanting that toxic attitude in my life or my kid's lives, than it did trying to punish her in any sense by removing my friendship because of her views.
    Invincible_summer
    @karasti - that explains a lot. I'd also be very wary of keeping company like that. Thanks for clearing things up.
  • Is it possible or beneficial to be friends with someone with such views, especially if your are quite contrary?

I used to work with someone who was racist. We will never be friends. There is no reason we can not work together in a friendly, civil and polite way.

It is not our job to change the world, it is up to us to change ourselves. Nothing to change, everything perfect already?

Good company, seek it, become it. Good plan.

:wave:
    Invincible_summerdhammacitta
    lobster said:

I used to work with someone who was racist. We will never be friends. There is no reason we can not work together in a friendly, civil and polite way.

It is not our job to change the world, it is up to us to change ourselves. Nothing to change, everything perfect already?

:wave:

First paragraph: well stated. I agree completely.

Second paragraph: Why isn't it our job to change the world?

• Change yourself. Then you will know how to change. You knew that right?
    Invincible_summer
    lobster said:

Change yourself. Then you will know how to change. You knew that right?

I don't agree with your approach at all. I believe that it is our responsibility to leave our world a better place, and that each person can accomplish that in some way...big or small.

I think in changing ourselves, that is how we change the world. What good is it to seek to change the world around you while yours is still in disarray?

@lobster if you were the target of the racist's comments, would you still be able to work with them with no problems? Not accusing, just asking. To choose to have them for friends is one thing, to have to spend 8+ hours a day with someone who despises you because of what color your skin is? On a somewhat related note, today my teenager said "you know, some of the girls I go to school with have been tanning a lot because prom is this weekend. They make a lot of racist comments. I wonder if they know how out of place their own skin looks."
    Invincible_summerdhammacitta
    karasti said:

I think in changing ourselves, that is how we change the world. What good is it to seek to change the world around you while yours is still in disarray?

@lobster if you were the target of the racist's comments, would you still be able to work with them with no problems? Not accusing, just asking. To choose to have them for friends is one thing, to have to spend 8+ hours a day with someone who despises you because of what color your skin is? On a somewhat related note, today my teenager said "you know, some of the girls I go to school with have been tanning a lot because prom is this weekend. They make a lot of racist comments. I wonder if they know how out of place their own skin looks."

@Karasti, I know what you're saying, but I look at it this way: Whatever you change in the world for the positive -- big or small -- you do for others...and I guess that's what I see as real compassion. When you change things for yourself, there is a definite end point to the benefits, and that is done for selfish reasons (and I don't mean bad/mean selfish reasons).

In terms of working with a racist person, I have...because that's what I was being paid to do.

Invincible_summer
    @vinlyn to me, there seems to be a difference in changing things in your life that benefit others (but not necessarily with them in mind) and changing things FOR yourself. Most of the changes I make in my own life benefit me, because it means I'm less angry, less stressed, etc. But really they benefit those who have to interact with me just as much, and in some cases, even more than they benefit myself. If you make changes in your life for someone else, is that really authentic? If I change something about myself for my husband, is that better than changing something about myself simply because I know it's a facet that needs to change? If I change because it is something in me that seems to be off, then it benefits all sorts of people around me, compared to changing it just to benefit my husband, who is only one person out of dozens or more that I interact with.
    Invincible_summer
    karasti said:

@vinlyn to me, there seems to be a difference in changing things in your life that benefit others (but not necessarily with them in mind) and changing things FOR yourself. Most of the changes I make in my own life benefit me, because it means I'm less angry, less stressed, etc. But really they benefit those who have to interact with me just as much, and in some cases, even more than they benefit myself. If you make changes in your life for someone else, is that really authentic? If I change something about myself for my husband, is that better than changing something about myself simply because I know it's a facet that needs to change? If I change because it is something in me that seems to be off, then it benefits all sorts of people around me, compared to changing it just to benefit my husband, who is only one person out of dozens or more that I interact with.

We're talking about somewhat different things. You are talking about changing yourself. I am talking about changing yourself - versus -- changing things in the world.

• JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Outside of living your faith, there is nothing you can do. If this friend chooses to be hateful, he will be hateful. Live an example of what life could be for him, but do not impose yourself in any way. One trouble that could arise is that in the event of you going out of your way to help; you lose yourself. :coffee:
    dhammacittaInvincible_summer
  • These sort of friends are of most beneficial to us spiritualty, they are really challenging but they help us with developing patient, companion and empathy.

You was in the right to inform your friend that being Homophobic and vengeful is not excitable and that is harmful to them selves and to others too.

As an individual there is only so much you can do, giving people informed choose is of great importance, then it's down to them if they decide to take on your advice or not.

Some people are stuck by their own delusions of Mara and until they see that the their own destructions are harming themselves and others and see the reality ,break the ties with Mara will be extremely difficult.

you have planted the seed of the right path and right view and it will need time to grow and develop.
    Invincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Reminds me of this scripture. :) I think it depends entirely on the individual and
    whether or not saying something would be beneficial. Sometime it can be, sometimes not. It really depends on the individual person and individual situation.
    The criteria for deciding what is worth saying

[2] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[5] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] "In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

— MN 58
    caz
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited April 2013

He also has that tendency to dismiss people who try to be good as stupid. It's just too much. I do wonder if I've done bad, which is why I'm asking. I was possibly very forward in my beliefs and intolerant of his. But it is so difficult to be tolerant of intolerance...

Personally, if this is how you feel around him, is he really a friend to begin with? I've learned over the years that there are acquaintances, and there are friends. I can count the number of friends I have on one hand. My acquaintances, however, are many. I do not allow acquaintances to drain my energy any more or get involved in their game playing. I will still treat them kindly and wish them the best, however if you have to question the toxicity of your friendship, I've found it's not a good friendship to have in your life. Stay in touch, but keep at an arm's length distance. This could also teach them that that type of bigotry and judgmental attitude is not something you partake in, and he is alienating people by acting that way. Teach by actions in these situations, not by words alone.

You are the company you keep.
  • I've had a fall-off recently with someone I considered a friend. He turned out to be something I can't stand: homophobic. And also vengeful. I tried to tell him these sorts of things aren't good and they hurt him and others. But he saw it as me being self-righteous and a dictator of sorts. I actually was trying to help him, steer him away from that. Was that a good thing to do? Should I've just let him be? Is it possible or beneficial to be friends with someone with such views, especially if your are quite contrary?

Somewhere I have read: When it's time for you to learn something, a teacher will appear. In your friend's case, the teacher may come too early and he is not ready.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have little or no time for bigots. I don't care how good a friend they are, if they hold opinions which are exactly opposite to mine, that's one thing.
    If however, they are vociferous with vitriol, hatred and ignorance, they transform themselves from Friend to Fool.

There are 1,500 species of animals who wilfully practice Homosexuality.

There is only one species where homophobia exists.

Who's the 'unnatural' one now?

Homophobia implies fear.
    Fear of homosexuality.
    Doesn't exist.
    he's not afraid of homosexuals, he's just being a jerk.
    VastmindInvincible_summerriverflow
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

..... Is it possible or beneficial to be friends with someone with such views, especially if your are quite contrary?

IMO...no.
    I consider my friendships as a ....sensory doorbell.
    I dont allow someone to stand there and keep ringing
    me with some bullshit. As said in another thread....I 'cleanse'
    my doorstop often.
    Cost of doing business.
    Buddha business, baby. :)
  • Okay, we fell off badly right now. He began to show misogynist views too. He says stuff, and then he turns it around to us, women. He even said that maybe some women deserve to be murdered for their actions! I can't be friends with him. He sees me now as a bad person, a tyrant and a feminazi. Unbelievably he claims that I provoked and induced him to say bad things! He also claims that when we get reborn and if our genders switch, he will have a good life as a woman, and I will have a bad one as a man, because I was the unfair one!! At the end, I gave him honest good wishes, but he didn't like it. I said that I couldn't help it because the wishes were like rain falling down the sky, so he said he will use an umbrella then! Despite all this, he said that we should at least say 'hi' once in a while. When I said no, he said I was being hateful!
    Sorry, I needed to vent and can anyone please make me feel less like a monster? :( I'm so upset this multiply my fear of people to an unseen before degree...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Communication is so difficult. At least you got to tell him how you feel. Sometimes just saying that even if the other person does not change or listen can feel better. All things are impermanent; this too shall pass. In the end you will be better off not with this person I would speculate.
    Sometimes people just hold views that is too hard to reconcile. You didn't do anything wrong. If he wanted to remain even close enough to say hello, he should not have said the things he did. There is just no reasoning with someone who holds views suck as his. Hopefully as life goes on, he comes around and does not hold such a negative view of so many people. To have so much hatred, he is suffering too. No one who hates and is so negative is happy. If you can you might (when you are ready) practice a bit of metta or tonglen meditation for him, it sounds like he needs it and it might bring you a bit of peace over the situation.
    riverflow

Okay, we fell off badly right now. He began to show misogynist views too. He says stuff, and then he turns it around to us, women. He even said that maybe some women deserve to be murdered for their actions! I can't be friends with him. He sees me now as a bad person, a tyrant and a feminazi. Unbelievably he claims that I provoked and induced him to say bad things! He also claims that when we get reborn and if our genders switch, he will have a good life as a woman, and I will have a bad one as a man, because I was the unfair one!! At the end, I gave him honest good wishes, but he didn't like it. I said that I couldn't help it because the wishes were like rain falling down the sky, so he said he will use an umbrella then! Despite all this, he said that we should at least say 'hi' once in a while. When I said no, he said I was being hateful!
    Sorry, I needed to vent and can anyone please make me feel less like a monster? :( I'm so upset this multiply my fear of people to an unseen before degree...

You know, there comes a time in interpersonal relations when it is best to say "this is going nowhere". I think you've reached that point. You're not wishing him ill. You're just saying this is going nowhere. He and you will both make new friends.
    riverflowInvincible_summer