Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does the lack of free will tie in with the law of kamma?

jlljll Veteran
edited May 2013 in Philosophy
if we had no free will, what about our karma?

Comments

• footiamfootiam Veteran
    The lack of free will probably means you are not in charge of your life. Karma will still act accordingly. I suppose Karma acts just like an independent judiciary. It does not slant towards a certain race or religion or things like that. It just acts according to one's action. It will call a spade a spade and gives it what it deserves.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The absence of free will and karma are very compatible. The law of karma is the way of cause and effect; if we do wholesome things (karma), wholesome results will arise. For example, if we help somebody out, happiness comes as a result. And from unwholesome actions come unwholesome results. If we go around hating people and being angry, we will feel saddened and depressed.

This can happen perfectly without a free will to guide the actions. If there were free will , wouldn't our choice of action be to always do the thing that gave good results?.. Yet, even if we know anger makes us feel bad and doesn't really solve anything, we sometimes still get angry. That's because to get angry is a pattern in the mind, not a result of a free choice. To slowly restructure these patterns is part of the practice, to be more wholesome and less unwholesome. But there is no need for free will in this.

Karma can only really exist together with the absence of free will. It's the same as asking how can karma and no-self be together. In a way the two are part of the same thing. Our intention, our will, is part of karma, it is karma and a result of karma.
    "Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.063.than.html#part-5
    riverflow
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Hi @federica,

I think it was Adyashanti who I once heard say in a video: If will was free, why can't people keep their new years resolutions? :D Sounds like a silly argument at first, but if you think about it.. if we could control our actions/will, we would keep them.

I expected somebody to bring venerable Thanissaro's views into the topic. But I disagree with his views. For one thing, and for me the most important one, because I don't experience 'free will'. But also there are many teachers who share my view. Also, I don't see it in the suttas. Venerable's idea of free will is not directly stated and what he says is only his interpretation. I interpret it differently.

Take the quote below. My interpretation is very literal as I gave it before: because we can't control our will (we can't have it "let it be thus") it means there is no free will, and therefore we make decisions that lead to suffering (afflictions). Or more correctly, decisions are being made that lead to suffering, but not by "us" because there is no self.

The sutta goes on saying that every choice is "not mine". If it's not mine, it's not free and I can't control it.
    "Bhikkhus, determinations/choice/volitions/will are not-self. Were determinations self, then these determinations would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of determinations: 'Let my determinations be thus, let my determinations be not thus.' And since determinations is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my determinations be thus, let my determinations be not thus.'

"Any kind of determination whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html
    I found this essay on no-self and kamma that fits the topic. I think it explains it better than I did.

Volition is one area of consciousness where the human mind has the ability to will. We can will the body to action, we can will our speech or thought. Quite often this is the mental attribute that people identify most strongly with as mine. If you have been meditating for some time you will probably know what I mean. When you look into yourself or listen to yourself, what does me identify mostly with? I 'will', so it must be me. I am the one who is doing this. I am the one who is asking and I am the one who is answering. I can choose to stand up or sit down. This must be me. We identify strongly with our will, intention or volition, because it appears to be the centre. But this is also no-self, and this is where you have to apply your attention very carefully. Even the volition is conditioned. Why do you will something? Why do you choose something? Why do you choose to come to the BSV and not go somewhere else? You have a choice. There is a volition there. That volition was conditioned by previous experience, thoughts, feelings and previous volition etc. So that volition or choice is not an independent thing. The choice that we make is also conditioned. Why do you think, why do you act, and speak the way you do, the choices you make? It is the result of past conditioning.

So even our choice (cetana), intention, or volition is kamma. This aspect of our mind is conditioned by the past. The fundamental force that drives us to make choices is the quest for happiness. Your volition comes from the quest for happiness. Your experience in the quest for happiness helps to shape your volitions, and in what directions they will drive you. So when you have this volition, intention to do, to speak and think, it is a force. Having spoken, having acted, having thought, is a force set in motion. It will have its consequences. It will shape something in the future. Immediately it will shape the state of your mind psychologically. You think an angry thought, or speak angrily, you will feel associated with it a negative state of mind. Psychologically you get a reaction almost immediately. But there will probably be other results, which can come later on, because you have set something in motion, and that will or intention is like sowing a seed. It will bring some growth with results and fruits. This is the law of kamma. Each volitional act will bring results which psychologically may be very quick, but quite often may take some time, to come about. The Buddha said that some results come in this life and some in future lives. The nature of the volition will determine the nature of the result.
    http://www.katinkahesselink.net/tibet/anatta_jagaro.html
    But the way to really understand it is in my experience not by reading suttas or debating about it. It comes through meditation. On that topic I'm very much in agreement with Ajahn Brahm:
    If one thinks "I am in charge", if that delusion is still there, that will be a major hindrance to one's meditation. This will create restlessness, and there will be craving for this, that and the other. One will never be able to get into jhanas. However, one must understand that the 'doer' cannot let go of doing. This is like trying to eat your own head. That's what people often try and do. They try to do the non-doing. That's just more doing! It has to be like a change, a flip in the mind. It takes some wisdom to see that this 'doing' is just a conditioned process. Then one can let go. When one lets go, then this whole process just goes so beautifully, so smoothly, so effortlessly. With luck one might get into a jhana. In the jhana states the 'doing' has gone and it has stopped for a long time. Coming out again afterwards one will naturally think, "This is good, this is beautiful, this is wonderful". Then one will start to see this illusion of the 'doer'.
    http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books3/Ajahn_Brahm_ANATTA.htm
    Metta!
    Sabre
    Invincible_summerpegembarariverflow
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Sabre said:

The absence of free will and karma are very compatible. The law of karma is the way of cause and effect; if we do wholesome things (karma), wholesome results will arise. For example, if we help somebody out, happiness comes as a result. And from unwholesome actions come unwholesome results. If we go around hating people and being angry, we will feel saddened and depressed.

This can happen perfectly without a free will to guide the actions. If there were free will , wouldn't our choice of action be to always do the thing that gave good results?..

Karma can only really exist together with the absence of free will.

It's the same as asking how can karma and no-self be together. In a way the two are part of the same thing. Our intention, our will, is part of karma, it is karma and a result of karma.

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.063.than.html#part-5

I am with @federica on this.

You say: "This can happen perfectly without a free will to guide the actions."

Yet free Will has no will of it's own to choose. It doesn't 'guide' - it free in that sense.

Shakyamuni showed how we had a choice (of our own free will) to do good or evil.

You seem to believe that the universe is deterministic- that the law of karma suggests we have no choice.

Not true - that choice is free will in action.

When the Buddha says "Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect."

That 'intending' he talks about is a function of our free will.

Cinorjerkarmablues
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I like everything that's been said so far. So if karma rules, then that force over-rides our notions of free will. Yet, if our actions are forced on us by karma, then everything we do including trying to be enlightened is pre-ordained so what's the use of fighting fate? When a question has no one correct answer, it's usually because of wrong assumptions. In this case, I think the entire term "free will" is flawed. It's binary. Dualistic. It assumes the two choices are will or volition is either completely free or it doesn't exist.

In Buddhism we have to understand conditioned arising to penetrate karma. Instead of the vague concept of free will, we can talk about choices. You have choices. Your life is composed of choices. What you choose to do is neither completely random (free will) nor fated (pre-ordained). Your choices are conditioned from everything that has happened before but also conditioned upon who and what you are now. This conditioned choice does not have only one possible outcome because your mind is in conflict. You have the ability to chose between actions, but some actions are much more likely than others. So it's not entirely free, but not fated either. You have a choice, conditioned on who you are then and now.

That's why "conditioned arising" is so important to understand when chewing away on Buddhist philosophy.
    personkarmabluesInvincible_summerriverflow
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Some people seem to think if there is no free will, there can be no choices, or there can be no karma. But it is not like that. Choices can perfectly occur without any of "our" freedom involved. In fact, most choices we make we are not even aware of. If we had to consciously decide on everything, that would be way too much for the mind to handle. It's only in some situations that the mind comes in says "ah, I did that, I made that choice". But if we look very closely, we can see that the "will" identifying with the choice comes AFTER the choice has already been made... To really see it requires quite deep meditation, but it is also strongly suggested by the Libet experiment; an experiment that repeatedly shows the brain already made a decision before we think we have made it.

Or take stressful situations, the mind leaves the identifying with choices aside. People go in an automatic fighting response. Or sportsmen who are "in the flow" may experience something similar. In those situations there is no time for the mind to identify with decisions.

But usually the ego is so strong defending it's own illusory existence, it keeps a firm grip on the idea of being in control. Because if it doesn't keep hold on this, it loses a big part of itself, it has to really let go and die in a way. So it seems so obvious at first that we can decide on things, that we have the freedom to choose. But if we look deeply, we can see it all unfold and that really, there is no control. This you can't analyze over ordinary choices, but only if the mind is really still and there is very little or no movement at all.

The discussion on whether everything is predetermined should really be another topic. Things can easily be indetermined without the indetermining factor having to be free will by any means. Likewise, the suttas say not everything experienced is a result of the past, that is true - some things happen now. But to automatically assume that means the Budda was talking about free will, is really going too quickly. It's like when I say I don't have a car, you automatically assume I must have a bike, otherwise how would I get around? It's jumping to conclusions.
    Invincible_summerpegembarariverflow
  • jlljll Veteran
    Free will implies we are free to make choices.
    but are we, really?
    we feel like we are free to choose, yet we are not really.
    our decision is a product of our conditioning.

take food, for example, how many westerners will say
    that chicken feet or durian is their favorite food?

SabreInvincible_summer
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    jll said:

Free will implies we are free to make choices.
    but are we, really?
    we feel like we are free to choose, yet we are not really.
    our decision is a product of our conditioning.

take food, for example, how many westerners will say
    that chicken feet or durian is their favorite food?

Ah, but suppose someone handed you a deep fried chicken foot on a stick and asked you to try it (as happened to me in Korea). My choice is conditioned upon past and present but still a choice that can go either way because my mind is in conflict. I desire to try new things and I want to impress my buddies with my courage (and if you don't think it takes courage to bite into something like that, you've never been handed a chicken foot, claws and all, on a stick). But on the other hand, "Eww!"

I actually turned down the first offer, but the second time I tried it. It tastes like chicken, by the way, but the crunchy is gross and definitely spit out the claws if you ever try it out. So why did I chose different the second time? I just did.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The dichotomy of libertarian free will, where we can choose to do whatever we want whenever we want and strict determinsim where everything we do arises solely as a result of past actions IMO really misses the boat.

I'll quote a sutta passage because I can in this case. Here the Buddha makes a logical argument as to why not everything occurs because of what was done in the past.
    Having approached the brahmans & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of what was done in the past. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of what was done in the past.' When one falls back on what was done in the past as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my first righteous refutation of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.061.than.html
    If all of our actions were a result of past karma and we had no ability to direct the course of our lives then that would kind of make a mockery of the whole Buddhist path.

Looking at my own actions my take is that mindfulness of our mental arisings gives us the space to take a different course. If anger arises in my mind and I'm unaware of it but just react then that is pretty deterministic. If the same anger arises and due to my mindfulness I become aware of it then that knowledge allows alternate possibilities to arise like the negative effects of getting angry and methods to cope. These possible other arisings also then arise because of a cause, the knowledge of getting angry. The difference is awareness, awareness is always only available in the present moment and it itself is a basic quality of mind that exists in each moment not because of a past cause but because we have a mind. Of course the degree of our awareness in each moment is a result of our efforts and karma but not the basic fact of it.
    John_SpencerkarmabluesInvincible_summerriverflow
  • person said:

If all of our actions were a result of past karma and we had no ability to direct the course of our lives then that would kind of make a mockery of the whole Buddhist path.

Quite - the chain of Pratitya samutpada doesn't lead to fatalism.

That would be fatal.
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited May 2013
    It is my understanding that karma is only an instance of the natural law of cause and affect, and is only relevant if it affects experience and how it is perceived. That being said there is not only individual karma, but each society and realm have a karma relative to it that affects the experience of beings belonging to them due to the dependent nature of all things.

For instance, an amoeba is a sentient being, but it appears not to have free will, and is only doing it what it basically programmed to do. However, it would seem, at the very least, its experiences are affected by the karma relative to the realm it lives in.
  • we are responsible for our actions.
    at the very least we will 'suffer' the effects of our actions.
    why do we make the choices?
    now, that is a much harder question to answer.
    it is not as simple as most people think.
    our genetic make-up, our environment n experiences
    are vitally important.
    war veterans do not choose to have high rates of suicide.
    they do not choose PTSD.

Great questions to ponder.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Driving a car with a steering wheel means you have the ability to turn. Driving a car without a steering wheel, you can't. But I think the will is not free, but the operator of it, which is actually non-self.

On the other hand, personal will is bondage. Surrender of personal will is freedom. But sometimes the only way to remove a thorn is with another thorn.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Who is it that types these keys on my computer? Who is that @swaydam?
    (assuming you have heard that before :) )
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Hands
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Is it your hands, swaydam, that typed (my response) or was it Jeffrey's hands that typed?
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited May 2013
    False dilemma. It was hands
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    How do you know that? We must have separation between us or we would not know. If you had a dream of typing would that be Swaydam's hands that were typing?
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Swaydam would be a fictional character in the dreamscape, and not an owner of anything at all, yet alone a dream. Waking-state swaydam is just as fictional as the dreamscape Swaydam.
    Jeffrey
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Karma can only really exist together with the absence of free will.
    Since actions have consequences, we are not free to do as we like. We can't go around maiming and killing people the way we do in computer games. All we have are choices.

So, we don't have freedom. This lack of freedom means we are actually not in charge of our lives! If we were we would not need to follow the N8FP. There would be no suffering, no samsara.

Give me liberation.
    riverflow
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2013
    When something is thrown towards my head I duck and protect my head with my arms in a reflex.
    There is no free will involved. The action precedes any conscious consideration.
    I suppose people who say that “karma is volition” would argue there is no karma in the act. But clearly the action can have consequences, for example if in this reflex I drop whatever I had in my hands and it breaks. If it was something of value and it belongs to someone else I could be liable.

And what do you guys think of a homicidal sleepwalker? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicidal_sleepwalking
    The actions clearly have consequences but the process of conscious consideration is absent or at least different from waking conscious consideration. I for one would not like to be on trial for the content of my dreams.

In my understanding the brain is the organ in our body that controls our actions. The brain produces our conscious considerations and the real question is why it does that; because it can do most things without these conscious considerations very well.
    Our self-image consists of our conscious thoughts and feeling plus our good looks of course. But I think we are deceived both mentally and physically. Underneath our skin we don’t look so pretty and underneath our conscious considerations is the reality of our brain. The brain is in charge. I am not my brain; I am not my liver or my stomach either. There is no “I” making the decisions.

The difficulty is that the brain produces the illusion of the decision-maker. We perceive a person who is making decisions on the basis of conscious considerations and we feel strongly identified with it. But it is like identifying with our skin; identifying with a superficial illusion.

(For reference a book from Victor Lamme I recently finished)

http://www.cogsci.nl/blog/book-reviews?start=5
    Have you ever wondered who's really in charge in your brain? Victor Lamme, professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Amsterdam, certainly has. In fact, he has devoted an entire book to it. “De vrije wil bestaat niet” (“Free will does not exist”) is a popular science book, which provides an accessible and amusing account of a large number of psychological studies. In the course of describing these studies, Lamme converges on the conclusion that our behaviour is largely determined by factors into which we have little insight: e.g., our tendency not to disagree with group consensus, our fear of other ethnicities, our tendency to select right-most socks (!), etc. Consciousness is simply a spectator which, after th4 Star Rating; Recommendede fact, interprets our behaviour in the best way it can. In this sense free will does not exist, according to Lamme.
    Before I bought the book, I had read some mixed reviews. Some people feel that Lamme's claims are overstated, especially when he uses “case studies” like Winston Churchill's military tactics during WWII to drive his point home. However, these case studies (a murder case in which the assailant was aquitted after pleading “sleepwalking” is another one) are backed up by solid research. Lamme makes a compelling argument: We have very little insight into our motivations and, consequently, are poor at predicting our own behaviour.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The OP is a very interesting video, thanks for sharing it.
    If things just happen and there is no free-decision-maker making any free decisions, only the brain functioning beyond “my” control, and everything we do is done “by accident”; all that karma can be is cause and effect. It would have nothing to do with volition. When I break something it is broken and therefore I have to pay for it. It is nothing personal.
    John_Spencer
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Yes, the difference between a 'reflex' (which doesn't involve the brain, it occurs in the spinal cord) and a 'choice' is everything. The Buddha was quite unambiguous about this.

No free will means there can be no good or evil.

We get to choose in every minute.

That is how the round of birth and death is destroyed eventually.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I think many people seem to be under the impression that 'karma' is somehow linear and simple. Nothing could be further from the truth, which is why speculation will tie us up in knots.

(Read the attached.... grab a coffee, or something - it's long!!)

The bottom line is, that every moment, is a choice.
    Use every moment Mindfully and skilfully.

Simple.

(:D )
  • federica said:

I think many people seem to be under the impression that 'karma' is somehow linear and simple. Nothing could be further from the truth, which is why speculation will tie us up in knots.

(Read the attached.... grab a coffee, or something - it's long!!)

The bottom line is, that every moment, is a choice.
    Use every moment Mindfully and skilfully.

Simple.

(:D )

Ha! only on to page 5 and I love this:

"The present is no doubt the offspring of the past and is the present of the future, but the present is not always a true index of either the past or the future; so complex is the working of Karma. "

That is how even Angulimala could be redeemed.
    federica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It is, quite literally, some piece of work, ain't it....?!
    John_Spencer
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The Ambalatthika-rahulovada Sutta shows that we play an important role in making choices of how to act. That is why the Buddha advised Rahula, his son, as follows:
    Therefore, Rahula, you should train yourself: 'I will purify my bodily acts through repeated reflection. I will purify my verbal acts through repeated reflection. I will purify my mental acts through repeated reflection.' Thus you should train yourself.

This means that through repeated reflection, one can make the correct choice with respect to bodily, verbal and mental acts. For example, in the Sutta, the Buddha says:
    "While you are performing a bodily act, you should reflect on it: 'This bodily act I am doing — is it leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful bodily act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it is leading to self-affliction, to affliction of others, or both... you should give it up. But if on reflection you know that it is not leading to self-affliction, to affliction of others... you may continue with it.

Therefore, the above implies that there is always a choice between giving up an action and continuing with an action. And the Buddha is saying that by reflecting on our bodily, verbal and mental acts, we'll be able to make the right decision/choice about whether the bodily, verbal or mental act in question should be given up or carried out.
  • I once heard a teacher talk about human will being more like controlling an elephant than driving a car. The elephant has ideas of its own and doesn't always do what we want it to do. Thought it was a good analogy.
    person
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Free will is a murky concept. As @Sabre points out, it doesn't make any sense when you consider how our intentions form, but as @federica points out via Thanissaro, it's useful to keep it in mind as long as you're considering your actions from a self-oriented perspective. Otherwise, you might as well just allow body and mind to roam as they please without any ethical consideration. This is the reason the Buddha criticizes determinism in the Tittha sutta: not because he offers a ontological position on the question, but because it paralyzes you.
    John_Spencer
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Umm, I will say that free will exists, but because Karma is more complete than we can think or do, it will sometimes overrule our choice. We do not have over-riding free will, but we do have choices to make.
    Sorry. That makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

You do realise 'Karma' actually translates as "Voiltional action" do you?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, no, I thought it meant something like destiny in future lives. That we get the future that our actions deserve. By some means that is not explained by Buddhism.

And, since we cannot foresee all the consequences of our actions, we cannot determine the result of our choices. However, I can repeatedly decide to honor a promise, then honor it. Say sending money or a computer fan to a friend. So, in a small way I have free will of choice though I cannot fully determine the future nor all the consequences of fulfilling my choice, and sometimes I cannot even determine to fulfill the choice repeatedly until I do.

That, I know, only makes partial Buddhistic sense.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Technically karma is action, but quite often karma and "the results of karma" (vipaka) are both put together under the label "karma" or "the law of karma".
    Straight_ManFlorian
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    fivebells said:

Free will is a murky concept. As @Sabre points out, it doesn't make any sense when you consider how our intentions form, but as @federica points out via Thanissaro, it's useful to keep it in mind as long as you're considering your actions from a self-oriented perspective. Otherwise, you might as well just allow body and mind to roam as they please without any ethical consideration. This is the reason the Buddha criticizes determinism in the Tittha sutta: not because he offers a ontological position on the question, but because it paralyzes you.

@fivebells I wasn't arguing against determinism in regards to free will. What I was trying to say more was that I think that our present awareness can act as a cause in the chain of our actions and choices. I feel that this preserves determinism and still allows for some freedom from the past.
    edited May 2013
    We don't have "free will". We can't will our bodies not to grow old, get sick or die. We can't will ourselves to be happy and not feel sad or scared. We can't will ourselves from thinking bad thoughts. If we see red we can't will what we see to become blue. We can't will ourselves to fall asleep. We can't not be there.

All we have are choices. We can choose suffering or freedom. Unfortunately we mostly choose suffering over freedom because we just don't know what is truly good for us.
    "Form, monks, is not self. If form were the self, this form would not lend itself to dis-ease. It would be possible [to say] with regard to form, 'Let this form be thus. Let this form not be thus.' But precisely because form is not self, form lends itself to dis-ease. And it is not possible [to say] with regard to form, 'Let this form be thus. Let this form not be thus.'

"Feeling is not self...

"Perception is not self...

"[Mental] fabrications are not self...

"Consciousness is not self. If consciousness were the self, this consciousness would not lend itself to dis-ease. It would be possible [to say] with regard to consciousness, 'Let my consciousness be thus. Let my consciousness not be thus.' But precisely because consciousness is not self, consciousness lends itself to dis-ease. And it is not possible [to say] with regard to consciousness, 'Let my consciousness be thus. Let my consciousness not be thus.'

"Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...

"Any perception whatsoever...

"Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
    Anattalakkhana Suttahttp://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.than.html
    riverflow
  • pegembara said:

We don't have "free will". We can't will our bodies not to grow old, get sick or die. We can't will ourselves to be happy and not feel sad or scared. We can't will ourselves from thinking bad thoughts. If we see red we can't will what we see to become blue. We can't will ourselves to fall asleep. We can't not be there."

Free will doesn't mean that we are free to choose how the world works around us or that we can simply 'will' something and it must happen.

Free will is the opportunity, given to us in the present moment, to act against our conditioning, to choose 'good' over 'evil', or skillful over unskillful.

personkarmablues
    edited May 2013
    @ John_Spencer

'Everything is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Thy" will be done.
    Thy here does not refer to God.
  • Sorry, @pegembara, I don't understand. Can you say more?

Um, no, I thought it meant something like destiny in future lives. That we get the future that our actions deserve. By some means that is not explained by Buddhism.

And, since we cannot foresee all the consequences of our actions, we cannot determine the result of our choices. However, I can repeatedly decide to honor a promise, then honor it. Say sending money or a computer fan to a friend. So, in a small way I have free will of choice though I cannot fully determine the future nor all the consequences of fulfilling my choice, and sometimes I cannot even determine to fulfill the choice repeatedly until I do.

That, I know, only makes partial Buddhistic sense.

It only makes partial sense because you're not using the word Karma' in it's true translated sense.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Then where is the border between the conditioned and the "free will"? If you look deeply you see there is no border and all will is conditioned. And it is this conditioned will that keeps us from being peaceful, that is causing craving for this or that.

Some say "free will" is important because it gives us the opportunity to choose for the "good". First of all, choices exist without someone or thing being able to make them, but also, that's not the goal of the practice. It is not about willing good instead of willing evil, it is about letting go of will:
    "But if a man neither wills nor plans nor dwells on anything, no basis is formed for the continuation of consciousness. This basis being absent, consciousness has no lodgment. Consciousness not being lodged there and not growing, no rebirth of renewed existence takes place in the future, and so birth, decay-and-death, grief, lamentation, suffering, sorrow and despair are destroyed. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.038.wlsh.html
    It may be obvious that to let go of willing is not a choice, because that is another willing... :D If it were up to our choosing, we could simply stop willing, no? But that is not easily done as we see in meditation. If it is not possible to stop willing, controlling, doing, then of course it is not free. It is not under our control. Our desires, intentions, volitions come up whether we want it or not.

But at that point it is still not obvious, it was not to me at least. Through letting go, then in deep states of meditation, however, the will disappears. Then we can see how the will really behaves, when it is (almost) gone, not when we are fully in the middle of it, like normally. And then we see it is without anybody behind the wheel. It is so subtle, the ego does not identify with it anymore as "I did that".
    zenffpegembarariverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Tosh said:

Extremes of thought are:

1. There is no free will.
    2. There is total free will.

The middle way seems to be that 'free will' is conditional; it's based upon causes and conditions.

Exactly. Why do so many people think things are either one way or the other?

• vinlyn said:

Tosh said:

Extremes of thought are:

1. There is no free will.
    2. There is total free will.

The middle way seems to be that 'free will' is conditional; it's based upon causes and conditions.

Conditioning?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Conditioning?

Maybe man wants to classify and order things to the extreme.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Conditioning as in, they had no choice. :o

I don't really see anyone arguing for a total free will here, though. Whatever that may mean.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The Libet experiment seems to indicate that even simple actions like pressing a button or moving a hand are not a free choice.

riverflow
  • ....the Libet experiment only deals with immediate decision making (though it is interesting).

It may be that a lot of our decision making is made unconsciously, then we consciously process that and believe that is was a 'conscious' decision.

That makes sense physically as our bodies know what they are doing without conscious intervention so to speak. Cricketers batting against a bowler apparently decide which stroke to play before the ball has left the bowlers hand.

There is no evidence that the same issues arrive when we consider issues over a period of time.

Some researchers suggest that the conscious mind is there to 'veto' decisions made by the unconscious. That is to say it chooses to 'inhibit' certain actions.

That also makes sense to me, it inhibits our conditioned instincts.

Our job is to see these 'conditions' arising and create the space to 'veto' them and act with more wisdom.