Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you meditate every day?

2»

Comments

• The time intervals @rivercane mentions, and the "deep" meditation experiences, strongly suggest that he is talking about sitting meditation, though.

I think it's fair to say that if you're not doing sitting meditation, you're missing out hugely. It doesn't matter whether you say it's right or wrong to miss out, you're missing out.
    riverflowkarmabluespersonlobster
  • I try to meditate every day, about 20 minutes (sometimes less, as @Karasti says, children and life sometimes interrupt). I think more might be beneficial, but life is complicated. I find that even 10 minutes of meditation helps me manage stress and stay more mindful the rest of the day. It's like playing finger exercises to warm up before playing regular pieces. Meditation helps me work on the skills I need to deal with life.
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Yes, I know, I read it. But if you follow the conversation we were discussing sitting meditation, for the most part. I was referring to where the conversation had gone, not just the OP. I totally agree that there are forms of meditation other than sitting, obviously walking would be one, mindfulness in daily life can be another, heck I find mowing the lawn quite meditational (not a word, oh well!). But most of the discussion has been around sitting meditation, unless I completely read the entire thing wrong. Which is possible, LOL. The issue came up when MaryAnne mentioned that she doesn't practice sitting meditation so much, and someone argued with whether someone can not practice sitting meditation and still say they follow the Eightfold Path. That is where I was going with my comment.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Mary Anne is correct. The 8FP can be followed by those who never practice sitting .
    It is important to see that what we call for convenience " meditation " i.e..samadhi , is not a method. It is a RESULT of one pointedness of mind.
    And a number of skillful means ( upaya kausalaya ) can led to one pointedness. They include sitting and watching the breath, or mantra, or walking mindfully, or bare attention in any position..
    riverflowVastmind
  • I'll see your bare attention and I'll raise you a cloud of hungry mosquitoes. :)
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Sounds like a recipe for a rash decision. ;)
    VastmindriverflowpersonInvincible_summer
  • karasti said:

That may be true (though I can't claim to know what every teacher studies. One lama I retreated with emphasized mantra chanting far more than meditation), but again, not everyone is a Buddhist, or follows Buddhist principles to reach enlightenment. Enlightenment may be out there, but it's not a concern for me in my daily life. I am concerned with lessening suffering for myself and those around me right now, and only right now. What comes of that in the future is of little concern to me at this point, and I would be more than happy to be reborn again. I rather hope my time as a human isn't quite over, and thus enlightenment is not important to me right now.

The Buddha taught for the purpose of ending suffering here and now and not for gaining the so called "enlightenment" in some future place.

Isn't lightening the suffering the purpose of "enlightenment"? Not enheavyment. Why should enlightenment be a concern for the future?

The Dhamma is sanditthiko - Self-evident; immediately apparent; visible here and now.
    riverflowkarastikarmablues
  • I try to meditate each day.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    When I'm not sleeping...I'm trying to meditate. Sitting yes, but
    mindfulness is a huge chunk of time. 'Meeting the moment'. :)
    riverflow
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2013
    rivercane said:

Just wondering how many people here meditate every day or more than once a day? I wanted to set this up as a poll but didn't see that option.

For the past couple of years, I could only manage to meditate a few times a week. Then sometimes I would not meditate at all for weeks at a time. It's really been a struggle for me to learn to discipline myself enough to mediate. It's as if I wanted to do it, but had to force myself.

Now I seemed to have turned a corner around the start of the new year and I find it fairly easy to meditate every day. It's something I look forward to. So far this year, I've only skipped a few days and some days I will meditate two or three times throughout the day. I usually meditate for about 40 minutes in the evening but will sometimes go for an hour or longer. I find it is more difficult in the morning and usually I will only meditate for about 20 minutes in the morning and then maybe a quick 10 minutes around noon.

So far I can count the number of "deep" meditation experiences I've had on one hand, even after trying for a few years, but I've found that meditating every day has really helped me learn to settle my mind much quicker than when I first started to meditate. I've gotten used to letting go of thoughts as they arise whereas in the past my entire meditation session was spent dealing with trying to clear my mind of thoughts.

Not really. I use to meditate fairly often, then it was down to a couple days a week, and now it's averaging once or twice a month. These last few months in particular have been rather busy and difficult for me, and my practice has definitely suffered for it.

I started a new job this year that doesn't pay very well and constantly changes my schedule (a schedule that's at least been consistent enough to prevent me from going to the Tuesday night sits at Miao Fa Temple), I've been spending a lot of time with friends, both new and old, my mom was seriously ill recently, and in the midst of it all, I've been dealing with a large number of relatively small-yet-annoying things that seem to have a knack for materializing at the most inopportune times.

That's life, I suppose, and what the practice is for; and mine's certainly helped keep my head above water. But at the same time, I've rarely been to either of my weekly meditation group sittings, I've been drinking a lot more than usually, and I'm starting to feel the weight of all the shit that life's collectively dumping on me. I can almost feel myself exhausting the results of my past hard work and becoming indistinguishable from a typical 'worldling.' This weekend, however, I have to opportunity to head down to Abhayagiri for their Upasika Renewal Day on Saturday, and I'm hoping it'll be a new beginning of sorts.

I know better than to make any promises to do x, y, and z, since all my best laid plans never turn out like how I fantasize they will; but I'm going to try to put in the effort to get back into some kind structured practice and hope that I'll manage to at least half-assedly follow through.
    Invincible_summerVastmindrivercane
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I shouldn't as much as I probably should, but I do go to a local Hindu temple most Fridays for a 20 minute meditation and will soon visit local Buddhist monasteries for the same thing.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited June 2013
    DaftChris said:

I shouldn't as much as I probably should

I meant to say "I don't as much as I probably should...
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I've had a hard time adjusting to my kids being home for the summer. Usually during the school year I simply set my alarm for earlier, get up, do my meditation, and then wake them up. But in the summer, I have the hardest time waking up early! Plus one of my kids is an early waker, and he is often up before me. I try to make an extra effort to get in some quick meditations, before I get out of bed, before bedtime, when I'm outside, or whatever. It does help but it's not the same. I just wish I could stop being lazy. I do the same thing with regular exercise in the summer. I get out of my routine and everything goes to hell, LOL. My oldest has early morning team practice, so he is up by 6:15. Getting up at 5:45 just is SO early when I don't get to bed until midnight. Excuses, excuses. I find I struggle when my routine is upset at all. I'm not sure how to get around it. I even set my alarm and I'll consciously sit there and think "you set the alarm so you could meditate, now get off your arse and do it" and then instead I decide bed is better, and go back to sleep, lol. I had a problem with sticking to my meditation when I injured my knee, too, because I couldn't sit on the floor and had a hard time doing it any other way.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Excuses, excuses
    :bawl: You know it, I know it and the fish know it. I suggest self flagellation . . . well OK that might lead to medieval kinky spirituality . . .
    What I do is grab a mala and pulse squeeze it continually until the bed snoozing ego realizes, bed + awake = dukkha. :wave:
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @karasti.....yes, the adjustment to a summer schedule usually
    takes me a couple of weeks to get used to...I was determined this
    year, to try to make it a smoother transition...It's getting better...haha