Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hypothetical Question (For those who like these type of questions)

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited November 2014 in General Banter

On "Rebirth" (A bit of light relief :D )

If you had a choice, what positive aspects of your personality/character would you like(if you could) to take over and develop in the next life ?

Or if not take over, then what negative aspects would you like to leave behind ?

( I'm taking the liberty and assuming you won't be enlightened in this life...but I could be wrong and if this is the case just give yourself an A+ and skip this question ) :D

bookwormrohit

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You misunderstand rebirth if you believe "aspects of character" are reborn.

VastmindKundo
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran
    edited November 2014

I can see the words "if you had a choice". So, I guess I would like to keep:

• my passion
    • my compassion
    • my trust in others

but would leave behind:

• my pedantry
    • my feelings of worthlessness
    • my lack of self care
    • my nicotine addiction.

How about you, @Shoshin? Not fair to post the question and not put your own response! :o

VastmindShoshinsilver
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2014

Not fair to post the question and put your own response!

Yes, but it's ever so much more protected and in-control and 'grown-up.' :smile:

SarahT
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2014

@SarahT said:
    I can see the words "if you had a choice". So, I guess I would like to keep:

• my passion
    • my compassion
    • my trust in others

but would leave behind:

• my pedantry
    • my feelings of worthlessness
    • my lack of self care
    • my nicotine addiction.

How about you, Shoshin? Not fair to post the question and not put your own response! :o

@SarahT,

"If I had a choice, what positive aspects of the _karmic imprint of the mind would I like(if I could) to take over and develop in the next life ?"_

I would like my compassion to be developed and to leave behind my ignorance :)

BTW Thanks @SarahT, for getting the gist of the question, however as you can see I've now made it more Buddhisty sounding so as not to confuse or disturb others....

SarahT
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

You might want to leave your sarcasm behind then too @Shoshin‌ ..........

federicaShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yeah, you might find it more ... Buddhist.....

edited November 2014

@dhammachick said:
    You might want to leave your sarcasm behind then too Shoshin‌ ..........

If it will make others happy @dhammachick, then consider it done :D

BTW what would you leave behind or continue in the next life ?

edited November 2014

@federica said:
    Yeah, you might find it more ... Buddhist.....

If I was anymore Buddhist I would be a Buddha :D

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    If I was anymore Buddhist I would be a Buddha :D

Remember about Sarcasm?

ToshSarahT
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Forget about the next life!

I wish we'd all write more about our ideas and keep the ad hominem remarks to ourselves more.

ShoshinKundoDavidperson
    edited November 2014

<3 .

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@Nirvana said:

I wish we'd all write more about our ideas and keep the ad hominem remarks to ourselves more.

Seemed to me to be an idea? What I value about myself and want to nurture and what I identify as a shortcoming and would like to remove. Just because the hypothetical question was phrased in terms of rebirth doesn't mean I can't be "reborn" in this life. That's what enlightenment is all about to me.

Hope this doesn't qualify as ad hominem. Had to look that up ... found:

An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
    Person A: I think we should spend more money on environmental protection.
    Person B: You just think that because you’re a stupid tree-hugger.

Person A: It is crucial that we facilitate adequate means to prevent degradation that would jeopardize the project.
    Person B: You think that just because you use big words makes you sound smart? Shut up you loser; you don't know what you're talking about.

urbandictionary.com

OK ... so I'm a loser/tree hugger ;)

Shoshin
    edited November 2014

@Chaz said:

"If I was anymore Buddhist I would be a Buddha"

@Chaz, we are all Buddhas in training-we all have Buddha Nature...Just stating a common 'belief', no sarcasm intended :)

@Shoshin said:

There's a Trungpa Rinpoche story where a student asked what is reborn. He responded,

"Our bad habits."

In that light, what do you think?

It's like that utterly ridiculous book "In His Steps" - where the phrase, "What would Jesus do?" came from - as if any of us cold know the mind of a man 2000 years dead.

And Buddha Nature doesn't meaan we're Buddhas in trainning, either. You might consider reading up on your 3rd Turning literature.

ShoshinJeffrey

@Chaz said:

Trungpa Rinpoche simple answer sounds right on the mark :D

@Chaz, the "Buddhas in training" is just another way to call oneself a "Buddhist" ...
    What is a Buddhist if not a Buddha in training ?

Thanks for your response..... :)

• If you meet the Buddha on the path, kill him.

@pineblossom said:
    If you meet the Buddha on the path, kill him.

That's right up there with that perrenial favorite, "Who's asking the question?".

Jeffrey

@Shoshin said:
    @Chaz, the "Buddhas in training" is just another way to call oneself a "Buddhist" ...

But simply calling oneself a Buddhist a bit less pretentious.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I would like to be an eagle and soar through the sky. :p

Shoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    Would you be a vegetarian eagle, then, @SpinyNorman?
    Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Well, if we're shooting for the moon, I will take all suffering and leave the path.

Or do I have that backwards?

Hold on here...
    SarahTShoshin

@ourself said:
    Well, if we're shooting for the moon, I will take all suffering and leave the path.

Or do I have that backwards?

Hold on here...

>

Is that a hypothetical question?

SarahT
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Not sure but I answered wrong anyways. I should limit my posts when I've been up for that long.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Seriously, the thing I'd like most to take with me is more youthfulness and develop it most artfully. I guess a better word for that might be Freedom.

I'd want to leave all gravity and worry behind and just be free from all calculation, doubt, and fear.

Shoshin
  • I want to be able to fly, absorb sunlight instead of food, and immortal.

And keep whatever bit of wisdom and compassion.