Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• @SpinyNorman said:
    You had a mother?!.....

God? Is that you?

Hamsaka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Surprisingly, yes....! Physically, I look at her and am convinced...

Psychologically, I look at her and I really wonder sometimes.....!

(...Why what did you have...? :confused: )

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I was a product of an alien cross-breeding experiment....

....You had aliens?! You were lucky!

• @Rowan1980 said:
    I'm on Team Tesla myself.

I luvs Tesla but he was into pigeons, no chance for a lowly cructacean . . .
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/tesla/esp_tesla_26.htm

So Tesla raced pigeons? You mean he had a cloth cap and was from "Up North"? ;)

• He may have been a bit Northern. He was in love with a pigeon (nobodies perfect).
    http://www.teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla-timeline-1922-tesla-pigeon-dies

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That was a nice little run, wasn't it folks. :awesome:

In case ya didn't know, use 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups (give or take) of vinegar in the rinse cycle with your towels to get detergent build-up out of them and make them soft and fluffy.

Rowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In whichever way you choose to pass this weekend, have a great one, everyone!

Rowan1980

Bah humbug!

lobsterRowan1980

Wrong Festival.

I take your point though... :D

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Bah humbug!

Aww...How can you be like that? Look at him - so cute! :p

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

ooohhhhh.
    The wolf in me is smiling at this bunny.

Buddhadragonlobster
  • I want the ears ...

BuddhadragonDairyLama
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2015

I have a mother, @SpinyNorman...

Rowan1980silverHamsaka

...And today she ate fish because it was Good Friday while hubby swallowed his steak...

....please nobody ever tell me I look like her... O.o

DairyLamaShoshinHamsaka

@DhammaDragon said:
    ....please nobody ever tell me I look like her... O.o

OMG!! :lol: I was jut thinking, "...Are you sure she's your Mum? I don't see...."

Rowan1980BuddhadragonHamsaka

@SarahT said:> Pagan? Qui, moi? <3

Nice one! I remember visiting Maiden Castle years ago, amazing feel to the place.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Castle,_Dorset

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Summer seems like it will never end...I went to the beach again today and had a swim...It's mid Autumn ... :)

BTW it's daylight saving, we put the clocks back an hour in this part of the world...

Bunks
    edited April 2015

@Shoshin said:> Summer seems like it will never end...I went to the beach again today and had a swim...It's mid Autumn ... :)

You are lucky! Where I live there is about 2 weeks of the year when the sea isn't freezing cold. Brrrr!

@SpinyNorman said:

On Wednesday the water temperature was 22 celsius (74 fahrenheit)...But the weather's about to change, it will start to get cooler...So today might be my last swim for the season....

• Thanks for pagan hill fort info. Wonderful but largely lost oral celtic culture. Going to look for my nearest celtic site . . .

And let's celebrate a pagan Easter! Lots of chocolate and no church! ;)

lobsterRowan1980
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

SpinyNorman: "Lots of chocolate and no church! ;)"

lobsterRowan1980Shoshin

Excellent!

It reminds me of a really bad joke:
    Woman to Scotsman: "Is anything worn under the kilt?"
    Scotsman: "No, my dear, it's all in perfect working order."

BuddhadragonsilverlobsterNamada
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

I totally spaced on Easter. My wife and I were going to head to the local humane society and inquire about volunteering. (We're totally down with caring for the kitties and small animals!) I had volunteered there YEARS ago, but I was also balancing work, home, and the rape crisis hotline. I have some more free time these days, thankfully. Of course, I just had a "Oh, duh!" moment just now. Maybe we'll pop by on Monday when I have to head to the gym after work.

ShoshinBuddhadragonHamsaka

@Namada said:
    SpinyNorman: "Lots of chocolate and no church! ;)"

Rowan1980

This is probably my first (and hopefully last) chance to share this useless childhood experience I had that I think about every now and then - especially on Easter. I had a neighbor g/f and this girl kept every single chocolate Easter bunny on display in her room...there were a couple dozen of them. It was kinda creepy in a way...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

When I was about 3 years old, we went flying on Easter with my dad. I had eaten a ton of chocolate and my dad decided to have fun with airplane tricks. I puked all over. It was a rented plane, too, LOL.

I hate Easter. I really do. I enjoy my kids finding eggs and enjoying their baskets (we try to keep candy to a minimum and focus on experiences, so we got them stuff for our upcoming vacation). But I don't like ham, I don't like cheesy potatoes, I don't like pumpkin cheesecake, and I don't like spending time with my stepdad's unwelcoming family. Grateful that we have an early dinner today and then I can take a hot bath and read the book I picked up from the used book store yesterday. "Saffron Days in LA: Tales of a Buddhist Monk in America." Trying to focus on feeling grateful I have family to spend time with. But it's not a favorite day, for sure. We have SO much to do getting ready for our trip and having to celebrate a holiday that means nothing to me is just pffffft.

silverNamada
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

Yesterday after a meal of fish and Easter eggs, trusting technology, we put the postcode into the sat nav and drove to a nice National Trust countryside location (Toy Hill) using the 'ecological route' . . .
    ... you have now reached your destination

'Looks like a housing estate in the middle of nowhere to me.'

Oops.

... some human had put in the wrong postcode and as we proudly awaited to be confronted by stunning scenery and a car park with much needed toilet facilities, we were somewhere else entirely. I had printed no longer needed info on areas of interest . . . :o

Fortunately we were near Ashdown Forest and very nice too . . . gorse toilet facilities left their mark though . . .

Technology good. Humans be more careful. Getting lost. What fun. :+1:

Hope pagan champagne brekkie and choc drowning rituals went well?

karasti

Hurrah, the supermarkets are open again and nobody is in church! Bah humbug! Pagans rule!

Rowan1980

have I got news for you...! They never closed at all round here! (The supermarkets that is... The Church was open for business and I believe they did passable trade....)

"I'm just sitting quietly, on an Easter Monday afternoon, flicking through the 'net, knitting a bathmat....."

" Heh heh.... wait...hold on.... for a minute there, I thought you said you were 'knitting a bathmat'...."

"Yes, that's exactly what I said...."

"...Knitting a bathmat...?! Woah.... this, I gotta see.....!"

"You will, Oscar, you will...!"

Rowan1980lobster

@SpinyNorman said:
    Hurrah, the supermarkets are open again and nobody is in church! Bah humbug! Pagans rule!

You just gave me an idea - from now on, when there are big (and small) holidays (and Sundays), I will just stay home and pretend we're back in the old times when things were shut up tighter than _____ . I mean it... I like it. (Well, we'll see how long that holds up.)

Maybe they should combine church and supermarket, that would get the numbers up.
    The Pentecostal Church of Walmart?

Rowan1980silver

The Holy trinity Church of Wil.ko-oP.oundstretcher....

Rowan1980
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@lobster said:
    Thanks for pagan hill fort info. Wonderful but largely lost oral celtic culture. Going to look for my nearest celtic site . . .

Did you find it? Or did the sat nav reign supreme?

@lobster said:

"Fire" was more of a "smoke" (nobody tell the National Trust ...) and a little cloudy to see the sunrise but full cooked breakfast - including scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and pretty decent bubbly - and a lovely walk up to the top of the fort with parents' dog. Pretty awesome start to the day, all in all :chuffed: Trip to the beach after. H says best Easter he's ever had.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Is that fence along the sea a property border?

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@how said:

No, just to reduce erosion :)

@SarahT said: "Fire" was more of a "smoke" (nobody tell the National Trust ...) and a little cloudy to see the sunrise but full cooked breakfast - including scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and pretty decent bubbly - and a lovely walk up to the top of the fort with parents' dog. Pretty awesome start to the day, all in all Trip to the beach after. H says best Easter he's ever had.

How wonderful! How wonderful, things exactly as they are....!

• The Celtic sites are everywhere, need to do research.
    Brekkie sounds great. :)

My cousins husband decommissions church's, some are turned into supermarkets eg.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328629/Tesco-opens-latest-convenience-shop--church.html

Bunks

Actually, that's quite sad, in a way.... (Matt. 21:13).

@how said:

Yes, the cottage is 75 yards to the left.....

SarahT
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@SarahT said:
    Must have missed the "keep out" sign to the sea on the fence.

@lobster said:
    Yesterday after a meal of fish and Easter eggs, trusting technology, we put the postcode into the sat nav and drove to a nice National Trust countryside location (Toy Hill) using the 'ecological route' . . .
    ... you have now reached your destination

I can see a "Resting Buddha" in the clouds :D

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Unfortunately my next door neighbour died yesterday.

We think it was probably a heart attack. He was only 52.

I walked outside at about 1pm and his friend was hysterical on the phone with 000 out the front of his house. I ran over but I could see by the time I got there he was gone. He was slumped back in his chair with his eyes rolled back in his head. I haven't seen many dead people but it was pretty clear he was gone.

My wife came over and the people on 000 were trying to get us to resuscitate him but it was fairly clear to us he had been dead awhile. The ambulance and police came and chatted to me a bit about it. They reckon he'd been dead at least a few hours.

I was in shock a bit yesterday and think I am still a little now. He was a ticking time bomb though. Very unhealthy and from all accounts didn't take the medication he was prescribed. I feel sorry for his kids though.

We'll go to the funeral later this week. Not sure what day it is yet.

ShoshinRowan1980
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

awww, sorry to hear that, @Bunks. It's hard when it happens but harder when you are personally involved.

I like that your emergency number is 000. Ours is 911. And then we have road info at 511. In some areas, general information at 411. i don't know what constitutes general information...lol We like the -11, apparently.

We leave for vacation Saturday morning, and my kids are making me craaaaaazy! It better be a relaxing vacation!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2015

my cat was dying and I was in bed and she screamed. found her under the bed with her eyes rolled up. reminds me :3