Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Becoming a Monk or Nun? I got answers for you.

Hey, everyone! My name is novicemonk41. Some are wondering, "are you a Buddhist monk?". My answer is not anymore. I have held ordination at Gampo Abbey in Nova Scotia for a year before my grandfather past. But, I will be becoming a Monk again starting in July.

Intrested in the monastic life? Answer questions and I'll reply, asap.

EarthninjaBunksBuddhadragon

Comments

• As a monk how much time did you have to read on a daily basis?

• @PremaSagar Even thou, I was pretty busy helping out, studying, and meditation I did manage slip some fun reading in all of that!
    PremaSagarEarthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @thenovicemonk41 do you do alms rounds every morning?
    And what tradition are you going to ordain in?

With metta chris
  • @Earthninja Matter of fact we did! Except for those snowy days. I'll be ordained in Tibetan Buddhism. @federica that's not my intention at all. Not many people have been ordained in their life time, thou. I like answering people's questions.
    Earthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's highlighted in a dragon's job-description:

SEX...

How can you live without sex?????

Earthninjadantepw
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Easily! It's a lot of fuss about nothing. ;)

federicaKotishka
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

The only things needed to sustain life are food, water, optimum temperature and breathable air.

Earthninjathenovicemonk41mmo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    Sorry to be so blunt, but it's highlighted in a dragon's job-description:

SEX...

@DhammaDragon
    Everybody lives with sex.
    Most encourage it, some reject it and fewer yet treat it as they would any phenomena in meditation.

Easy to do....Noooo.... but neither is allowing any other phenomena to arise, live and depart without us habitually manipulating it.

It is really just a question of what your priorities are.

• @DhammaDragon Well, as a Monk/Nun you honestly don't have time to think about sex. I use to have a really high sex drive but lost it when I first took my precepts. To this day, I still don't sleep on a luxurious bed! Or, eat after midday!

I think almost everyone can live without sex, tbh. Just takes pratice. :)
    Earthninja
  • @Zero I wouldn't say sex isn't useful. Well, to some extent it's very useful. We wouldn't be born without it! But, sex for pleasure isn't all that useful, thou it does relieve stress but so does yoga and meditation. xP
    Earthninja
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited April 2015

I can't see how you could lose your sex drive by mouthing some words even if you believe every one deeply. Seems unlikely to work for 99.9 percent of the population. Thankfully for the human race it isn't that easy.
    Isn't that why monks contemplate the unpleasant aspects of the body in order to suppress desire?
    It takes work. Or age. Or a combination of the two.

Rowan1980ElizEarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2015

I think almost everyone can live without sex, tbh. Just takes pratice.

Of course it too many people took up the practice, there wouldn't be anyone left to construct or praise or frolic with their "Buddhism."

Rowan1980Buddhadragonanatamandantepw
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

We like to think that the feelings of a sex drive are more forceful and difficult to address than the thoughts of our own mentality but it just isn't true.
    Both are equally difficult to truly face with equanimity. Both are just phenomena.

A meditation practice is really only a field of practice where we learn how to allow their arrivals, life expression and departures, to be potentially free of our ego's editing's.

Neither the existence of a sexual drive or a thought drive is the problem.

The problem is about how our identity/ego/or selfish self is actually maintained through our habituated directions of either, just as their
    solution in regard to suffering's cause lies in our willingness to stop needing to direct either.

ElizJeffreythenovicemonk41
  • How can I possibly know if others can refrain from sex? I can only know myself.

mmoRowan1980Buddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    So are you ordaining at Sravasti Abbey @thenovicemonk41?

I make a monthly donation to them.

I would love to visit there one day!
    Earthninja
  • @Bunks That's my goal! You should it's an amazing atmosphere!
    Rowan1980Earthninja

Yeah - one day I will I reckon.

Living in Australia makes it a tad difficult : :(

Earthninjathenovicemonk41
  • @Bunks Well, you can stay for an extended stay! I hope to see you some day!
    Rowan1980Bunks
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited April 2015
    I hope to make it out to Sravasti Abbey someday, even if for a brief visit. I watch the BBC videos on YouTube every morning. :)
    Bunksthenovicemonk41
  • @Rowan1980 You should! Sravasti Abbey has amazing hiking trails, food, teachers, and views!
    Earthninjadantepw
  • @lobster You are correct! Between hiking, meditation, and yoga.. Sex kinda slips from your mind set. And, Zen monks are allowed to be married and hold modern jobs! In Tibetan Buddhism, Lamas are allowed to be married if they're not ordained monks!
    Earthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Zero said:
    The only things needed to sustain life are food, water, optimum temperature and breathable air.

Yeah, sure.... ;)

Sorry, I have no nun vocation. Definitely. Never.

lobsterdantepw

@thenovicemonk41 said:. And, Zen monks are allowed to be married and hold modern jobs!

Pah! Shilly-shallying part-timers! ;)

Rowan1980lobsteranatamansilver
  • Hatha and similar postural yoga are sometimes thought as part of Hindu/Buddhist tantric yoga. If the energies are sublimated by celibates then we may become an ultra spiritual with supernatural siddhis. If involved in lay life with a partner, we may have our cake and eat it. Yab-Yum!
    http://www.lionsroar.com/buddhism-and-yoga-where-the-paths-cross/

...and now back to those drooling over the unordained ...

@Jeffrey said:> How can I possibly know if others can refrain from sex?

You could take up dogging or pretend to be interested in astronomy. ;)

lobsterBunks
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@thenovicemonk41 said:
    Zero I wouldn't say sex isn't useful. Well, to some extent it's very useful. We wouldn't be born without it! But, sex for pleasure isn't all that useful, thou it does relieve stress but so does yoga and meditation. xP

My response was to the point, 'how can one live without sex' and in doing so was intended to highlight that it is possible to continue living without sex whereas it would be much more challenging without breathable air for example.

@DhammaDragon said:
    Yeah, sure.... ;) Sorry, I have no nun vocation. Definitely. Never.

My intention was to highlight that something that may seem from one perspective to be one way is also from another perspective another way.

lobsterthenovicemonk41Earthninja
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    You could take up dogging or pretend to be interested in astronomy. ;)

Any particular telescope you recommend? I am just enquiring for a friend ... o:)

thenovicemonk41BunksElizpegembara

The bigger the better, size matters with telescopes. ;)

Rowan1980lobsterdantepwpegembara
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh children......? shush.

Earthninjasilverpegembara
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think at this point I could go without sex forever, lol. But having 3 kids pretty much is natural birth control, kind of "been there, done that would rather just go to sleep!" Thankfully, my husband isn't a high libido person either, so when it happens it happens, but neither of us terribly craves it. Ordination appeals to me, but it won't likely happen in this life, which is fine. Perhaps if I had figured that out 20 years ago... :lol: If I had to give sex up for some reason, I wouldn't mind much. But it's easy to say that when I have the choice, perhaps I would feel different if it wasn't an option anymore. When you can have it whenever you want, you don't crave it as much I suppose.

dantepwmmo
  • @karasti Alot of people do ordain at an order age! After their loans are paid off and kids are grown they receive ordained! Since you're married, you can pursue a Zen ordination!
    Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In the last 5 years?
    3 times.

And that is all I am prepared to say on the matter.

BunksEarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Oh i'm wetting myself here... thanks for the laughs guys!

@lobster, when did you last have a touch of the hinayanas?

Only asking...

...\lol/...

@thenovicemonk41 - apologies if this is crass but I am interested to know if it's ok for Tibetan monks to.........you know.......relieve themselves?

That's as nice as I can put it! B)

EarthninjadantepwBuddhadragon

I think that's none of our business, frankly, and does nothing to increase the intention of our own path.
    What difference does that make to one's own practice, one way or the other...?

yech... fancy wanting to know if monks masturbate.
    I really can't see why that would be a factor for curiosity.
    And I'm as entitled to my rationale as you deem you are.

edited April 2015

You English are so repressed!!!! =)

In all honesty though, males should ejaculate relatively regularly for health reasons.

Any kind of practice that suppresses that is unhealthy IMO.

Apologies if it offends anybody's sensibilities.......

Earthninjadantepw

So you're saying that if monks abstain they're in for health problems? If that were true, there would be millions of health-scare stories circulating, wouldn't there?
    Sexual abstention is about as harmful to health as giving up licking your lips.

There is absolutely NO evidence whatsoever, that voluntary sexual abstention is detrimental to personal health.
    You are quite right to state that it's your opinon, and I respect that, but I hate to tell you this - you're wrong.
    Those who are obliged by circumstance to give up on sex, might suffer from psychological issues, but nothing physical.

Oh and just for the record: I'm half Italian.

No. I'm not saying that at all.

In order to keep sperm healthy men should ejaculate reasonably regularly. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Earthninja

But a monk who has taken voluntary vows of celibacy has absolutely no need to keep his sperm healthy. So the need to ejaculate is academic.
    THAT'S the point I'M trying to make.

(Really, we should either take this to PM, or leave it. It's steering the thread off-topic....)

Earthninja

@federica said:
    In the last 5 years?
    3 times.

And that is all I am prepared to say on the matter.

(And I'm not sure why you lol'd at this....? :confused: )
    PM me if you want.

• Masturbation is out of question, too.
    Earthninja