Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddhist Quotes

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited December 2021

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.”

~William Blake~
    Which reminds me...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.”
    ― Ramana Maharshi

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

“Happiness is your nature. It is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside when it is inside.”
    ― Ramana Maharshi

“The mind is by nature restless. Begin liberating it from its restlessness; give it peace; make it free from distractions; train it to look inward; make this a habit. This is done by ignoring the external world and removing the obstacles to peace of mind.”
    ― Ramana Maharshi

Jeffrey

“Let go of all ideas and images in your mind, they come and go and aren’t even generated by you. So why pay so much attention to your imagination when reality is for the realizing right now?”
    ― Adyashanti

“The freedom that’s discovered isn’t, “I have attained enlightenment.” The freedom is, “My God, there is nobody here to be enlightened. Therefore, there is nobody there to be unenlightened.” That’s the light. Only the concept “me” thinks it needs enlightenment, freedom, liberation, and emancipation. It thinks it needs to find God or get a Ferrari—it’s all the same thing when you get right down to it.”
    ― Adyashanti

“We realize--often quite suddenly--that our sense of self, which has been formed and constructed out of our ideas, beliefs and images, is not really who we are. It doesn't define us, it has no center.”
    ― Adyashanti

“One of my favorite definitions of enlightenment comes from a Jesuit priest named Anthony de Mello, who passed away some years ago. Someone asked him to define his experience of enlightenment. He said, “Enlightenment is absolute cooperation with the inevitable.” I love that, because it defines enlightenment not just as a realization, but as an activity. Enlightenment is when everything within us is in cooperation with the flow of life itself, with the inevitable.”
    ― Adyashanti

“Don’t just sit around waiting for a teacher or the teacher’s transmission to do it for you because then you end up in a dependent relationship, and the nature of a dependent relationship is such that it dampens the effect of spiritual teaching right down. We need to become responsible for our own transformation because there is no way a teacher can do everything for us.”
    — Adyashanti

“My speaking is meant to shake you awake, not to tell you how to dream better. You know how to dream better. Depending on what your mental and emotional state at the time is, I may be very gentle and soft with you, or not so gentle and soft. You may feel better after talking with me, but that is incidental to awakening. Wake up! You are all living Buddhas. You are the divine emptiness, the infinite nothing. This I know because I am what you are, and you are what I am. Let go of all ideas and images in your mind, they come and go and aren't even generated by you. So why pay so much attention to your imagination when reality is for the realizing right now?”
    — Adyashanti, Emptiness Dancing

“I meet lots of people who realise who they are to some extent, and yet they are not ready to stop. You need to be willing to stop playing your familiar role.”
    — Adyashanti

“Getting off that wheel of samsara means waking up to the fact that the only thing actually on the wheel is a misunderstanding - the idea that I am this being with these feelings and problems. We call it samsara because it's not actually real. It only exists between your ears. In our culture, we make the suffering of samsara noble. It is almost a sacrilege to imagine that who you are is not a problem to be solved. We are never expected to actually hop off this wheel of suffering and wake up from this trance of "me."”
    — Adyashanti

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Shoshin1lobsterFleaMarketKotishka

“Existence is basically a kind of dancing or music--an immensely complex energy pattern which needs no explanation other than itself--just as wee do not ask what is the meaning of fugues by Bach or sonatas by Mozart. We do not dance to reach a certain point on the floor, but simply to dance. Energy itself, as William Blake said, is eternal delight--and all life is to be lived in the spirit of rapt absorption in an arabesque of rhythms.”
    ― Alan Watts

“Waking up to who you are requires letting go of you imagine yourself to be.”
    ― Alan Watts

Bunks

“We do not "come into" this world, we come out of it, as leaves from a tree. As the ocean "waves", as the universe "peoples". Every individual is an expression of the realm of nature, a unique action of the total universe. This fact is rarely, if ever, experienced by most individuals. Even those who know it to be true in theory do not sense or feel it, but continue to be aware of themselves as isolated "egos" inside bags of skin.”
    ― Alan Watts

WalkerBunksShoshin1

“[T]he art of life is more like navigation than warfare, for what is important is to understand the winds, the tides, the currents, the seasons, and the principles of growth and decay, so that one's actions may use them and not fight them.”
    ― Alan W. Watts, Tao: The Watercourse Way

Bunks

JeroenShoshin1FleaMarket

“This is the least scientific place on Earth. I will not give you more knowledge.”
    — Osho

“I do not give you answers, instead I destroy your questions.”
    — Osho

“The question ‘what am i?’ Is not meant to be answered, it is meant to dissolve the questioner.”
    — Sri Ramana Maharshi

Shoshin1

“In that moment in which I realised that no thought is true, all other thoughts became irrelevant. They didn’t mean anything. They were just the mind trying to describe something, trying to tell a story.”
    — Adyashanti

BunksFleaMarket

“It could well be that when we die all our cells hold a conference and say, God is dead.”
    — Alan Watts

BunksFleaMarket

“Enlightenment is a simple realization that everything is as it should be.

That is the definition of enlightenment: everything is as it should be, everything is utterly perfect as it is. That feeling...and you are suddenly at home. Nothing is being missed. You are part, an organic part of this tremendous, beautiful whole. You are relaxed in it, surrendered in it. You don´t exist separately – all separation has disappeared.

A great rejoicing happens, because with the ego disappearing there is no worry left, with the ego disappearing there is no anguish left, with the ego disappearing there is no possibility of death any more. This is what enlightenment is. It is the understanding that all is good, that all is beautiful – and it is beautiful as it is. Everything is in tremendous harmony, in accord.”
    — Osho

FleaMarket
  • FleaMarketFleaMarket Veteran
    edited February 2022

"How am I not myself?"
    — I Heart Huckabees

Bunks
  • HOW I BECAME A MADMAN

"You ask me how I became a madman. It happened thus: One day, long before many gods were born, I woke from a deep sleep and found all my masks were stolen,--the seven masks I have fashioned and worn in seven lives,--I ran maskless through the crowded streets shouting, “Thieves, thieves, the cursed thieves.”

Men and women laughed at me and some ran to their houses in fear of me.

And when I reached the market place, a youth standing on a house-top cried, “He is a madman.” I looked up to behold him; the sun kissed my own naked face for the first time. For the first time the sun kissed my own naked face and my soul was inflamed with love for the sun, and I wanted my masks no more. And as if in a trance I cried, “Blessed, blessed are the thieves who stole my masks.”

Thus I became a madman.

And I have found both freedom of loneliness and the safety from being understood, for those who understand us enslave something in us.

But let me not be too proud of my safety. Even a Thief in a jail is safe from another thief."
    —Kahlil Gibran (courtesy of @lobster)

I must admit I need to meditate on the last line. I do not understand it yet.

• For your contemplation @FleaMarket

Kahlil Gibran uses Sufi terminology which is sometimes superficially different to Buddhist.
    So for example: Allah is thought of as a 'stealer of Hearts'.

We are all in jail or dukkha human realm …
    but those who are 'lost' in awareness/Allah are known to each other. They gone beyond. So they are safe in each other and still thieving the forgetfulness or 'sanity' of the normal egoic persona …

=)

FleaMarket
  • @lobster said:
    but those who are 'lost' in awareness/Allah are known to each other. They gone beyond. So they are safe in each other and still thieving the forgetfulness or 'sanity' of the normal egoic persona …

This is beautiful. It reminds me of how in my mindfulness I believe I can spot other people in a moment of mindfulness by looking into their eyes and observing how they look back into mine. Instant endorphins every time.

So many endorphins flooding lately, maybe someone forgot they left the hose on.

If you have any literature similar to that of Kahlil Gibran I would be quite interested. I may do some researching in the mean time.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Whether you think you can, or
    Whether you think you can't - you're right".

Henry Ford.

BunksFleaMarket

Shoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2022

If you have any literature similar to that of Kahlil Gibran I would be quite interested.

The most popular poet in the world is Rumi. Good place to start and finish.
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/poems-about-life/#h-7-forget-the-brules-and-rise-to-your-awakening

FleaMarket
  • I've been experimenting with crafting short video-poems to music. Here's a 50-second, Buddha-and-bird-centric one titled "Blossom," featuring a poetic line of mine. It's set to a short piece of music "Better With You," by my son, an electronic music composer who goes by Lucas the Flow. Peace. Dhammika

BunksShoshin1lobsterFleaMarket

“Love should be like breathing. It should be just a quality in you – wherever you are, with whomsoever you are, or even if you are alone, love goes on overflowing from you. It is not a question of being in love with someone – it is a question of being love.”

— Osho

FleaMarketBunks

“What surprised me most about enlightenment was finding out that I had been addicted, addicted to being me.”

— Adyashanti

Bunks
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

This thread is about "no Buddhist quotes." This post is by a Buddhist and contains "no quotes." Oh dear, I've messed it up again.

BunksJeroenShoshin1FleaMarket
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is an extremely interesting comment... obviously edited to focus on the primary and most significant premise of the profile, but worth remembering in any interaction, where emotions are affected and prominent...

lobsterBunks
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2022

Nothing is more important than empathy for another human being's suffering. Nothing. Not a career, not wealth, not intelligence, certainly not status. We have to feel for one another if we're going to survive with dignity.

-Audrey Hepburn

BunkslobsterShoshin1
  • JeroenBunks
  • We suffer more often in imagination than in reality
    ~Seneca~

JeroenBunks

“The Truth is the only thing you’ll ever run into that has no agenda.”
    ― Adyashanti

BunksShoshin1
  • "I get knocked down but I get up again.. You're never gunna keep me down."
    ― Chumbawumba

lobsterfedericaKotishka

Oh dear Lord our Father, grant me Patience...
    But fer Chrissakes, hurry up!

BunksKotishka
  • Whatever experiences may arise,
    allow them to be expressed.
    They flow within the human
    expression of consciousness.
    Let them be.
    Because when they have been given
    the room to express themselves,
    then the space behind,
    which is joyful, steady and tranquil,
    will come to the front.
    Only don't name this enlightenment
    or feel that you've gained something.
    Instead recognise and
    pay full attention to
    the unchanging silence
    which is the substratum
    of all that is appearing in the mind.
    ~ Mooji

lobster
  • @Jeffrey glad to hear from a GM radish … eh … oh wait genetically modified vegetables are only semi sentient as yet.

Gone wrong again … Mooji not mooli. Delicious. :3
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikon

;)

Jeroen
  • "You must relax"

~ Edmund Jacobson

Shoshin1BunkslobsterJeroen
  • "The real problem of humanity is the following: we have Paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions, and god-like technology."

~Edward O. Wilson~

Bunkslobster
  • FleaMarketFleaMarket Veteran
    edited April 2022

"What was said to the rose that made it open was said to me here in my chest."
    ~ Rumi

BunksShoshin1lobster