Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to die?

Dear Friends of Solent Green,

Are you leaving your shell to science?
Being boiled in the bag …
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/02/boil-in-the-bag-environmentally-friendly-funerals-arrive-in-uk-resomation-acquamation

Mmm … I always fancied a sky burial but not legal in the UK …
There is also a really cool speed composting, also not yet available …

Bury or burn? Just don't care?

Just hope our Home Secretary or king, does not reintroduce crucifixion … I might qualify being a little anti-state … ;)

LionduckShoshin1JeroenmarcitkoBunks

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I would like to be composted, seems by far the most environmentally friendly method. It’s also what they use to dispose of unwanted animal carcasses so it’s been well tested.

Shoshin1
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I want to be laid out on the ground, covered with an old bedsheet for decency's sake, and left for the worms - very eco-friendly and all quite illegal. I suppose I will end up being incinerated, unless I can figure out how to donate myself to a med school or something of that nature -and in that eventuality, I suppose I will still end up being incinerated, thus doing my part to uphold the law of the land and contribute in my own small way to global warming.

Shoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Good plans everyone,

@Lionduck said:
    Die we must all.
    But it is much preferable that we first live.

Exactly so, if you get the chance … first things first.

Yama/Yami yab-yum is the COD of death in Lobster lore :mrgreen:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama_(Buddhism)

… contemplation and confrontation will come our way. Be ready. You don't need to sleep with a corpse or coffin (I have strange Tantric practices) >:)

But remember, rust to dust, ashes to Oz, death to All ah hhhh …

Have a great day! 🫵🫶🫠
    https://www.learnreligions.com/the-wheel-of-life-4123213

Lionduck
  • How to die?

Birth is a death sentence...

I've told my children that I want to donate my body to science...

I guess anyone who is prescribed drugs/medication by a doctor has 'in a sense' already started to donate their body to science...

Alan Watts "The only sure thing in life is Death"

Note: Some believe the video is AI generated ...The use of an AI programme which has put together snippets of some of his talks....
    Either way I found it interesting...

• zorrozorro minneapolis Veteran

From too much love of living
    From hope and fear set free,
    We thank with brief thanksgiving
    Whatever gods may be
    That no life lives for ever;
    That dead men rise up never;
    That even the weariest river
    Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Algernon Charles Swinburne

I don't care what happens to my body, except I do not want to be buried, and absolutely do not want to be embalmed.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Fosdick said:
    I want to be laid out on the ground, covered with an old bedsheet for decency's sake, and left for the worms - very eco-friendly and all quite illegal. I suppose I will end up being incinerated unless I can figure out how to donate myself to a med school or something of that nature -and in that eventuality, I suppose I will still end up being incinerated, thus doing my part to uphold the law of the land and contribute in my own small way to global warming.

We have green burials available here in BC so I'm surprised it's not available in Alaska.
    But...
    When my mom passed away 10 years ago in Vancouver and had requested incineration, there was some backlog in cremations going on at that time. When I went to sign the final papers about it, I noticed a body transport form that said that the funeral home had just shipped her South across the US border to Washington for a turn-key cremation and she returned the next day in an urn.
    If they are still as blasé today about body transport, perhaps you could still have a green burial where ever you wanted to.

• @Lionduck said:
    Die we must all.
    But it is much preferable that we first live.

Has there ever been another way?

So long as you see a purpose, it is not the real purpose. When your purpose is no purpose, there is real purpose.

lobsterLionduck
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

@how We have green burials available here in BC so I'm surprised it's not available in Alaska.>

Actually, I believe it is. I can do anything I want on my own property, including having my carcass raked under the leaves. (No idea what the Homeowners' Association would make of that ) Apparently, there is a green cemetery scheduled to open in Anchorage next year, that'll be something to look into. I know of one makeshift infant grave (of ashes, I think) on state land, where we used to walk the dogs - no idea what it's legal status is, but I think it's there to stay.

Fact is, I have difficulty getting up much interest in my own disposal.

lobster
  • marcitkomarcitko Veteran
    edited July 2023

I've always been of the inclination to be cremated and my ashes thrown into the wind in several nice spots in nature.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

marcitkoFleaMarket
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'd prefer donation to science. I was also going to link to the mushroom burial suit that got some hype a few years back.

However, it seems it may not be all its spored up to be.
    https://connectingdirectors.com/56089-mushroom-burial-suit-called-into-question

• Understand, everyone is born and eventually dies. But not everyone lives.
    I leave you to consider what constitutes living.

Peace to all

lobster
  • I consider that leaving my corpse to be composted does seem the best option. However, I think in Spain incineration seems the way to go unless I find any affordable alternatives.

What a business death is..

But better to feed the trees and not release any further gases..

I will investigate about donating my body to science. Maybe I can recreate this sketch..

• @Kotishka

Your link seems to be dead :dizzy:

Fortunately I am here to gibber about being dead or approaching it …

@Lionduck said:
    Understand, everyone is born and eventually dies. But not everyone lives.
    I leave you to consider what constitutes living.

Peace to all

Death is my favourite thing after life.
    I won't be reincarnating as a Buddha or anything more than a speck of dust or glimmer of hope.

FleaMarketLionduck
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2023

Deathlessness for the DIYer who has everything.

Sometimes, I think death might be nothing more than the ego finally arriving at the folly of its own storyline.
    At other times, each nanosecond offers up it's own death as a precursor to the next moment of life.

Is "How to die?", a different question than "How to live?"

FleaMarketlobster

According to Osho, dying is not such a big affair, we make it something more than it needs to be. Instead, living is more important — celebrating, being creative, loving.

FleaMarketpegembara
  • I got a DONOR sticker on my ID card. Til something more compelling comes along, that's 'bout it. Plant food, bird food, fish food.. something food.

@how said:
    Sometimes, I think death might be nothing more than the ego finally arriving at the folly of its own storyline.

It's a solid thought. Experience born from ignorance compelled to do something? Ultimately compelled to do death?

@lobster said:
    I won't be reincarnating as a Buddha or anything more than a speck of dust or glimmer of hope.

Specks of dust are quite beautiful floating in a ray of sunlight

Shoshin1lobster
  • I would like to be shot into space to float amongst the stars and if not I'll settle for being a means to an end for science...

lobster
  • Dying is easy.
    How to live without suffering is the hard part.

Quoting Mark Twain-

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

Shoshin1lobsterFleaMarket
  • Dear Friends of Death,

There are some great places to visit … preferably turn up before your funeral
    https://www.sacredstones.co.uk/

Hopefully we don't all get char grilled in WW3 or wiped out by Thanos.

"You know what they always say: you can’t spell ‘funeral’ without ‘fun.’" — Unknown

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

@lobster said:
    Dear Friends of Death,

Not sure if that applies to me, but okay, I checked the link out. Even if such a service was available near me, I think I'd rather be shot from a cannon. Like Hunter.

@lobster said:

Rebirth as a Buddha would be cool. The world needs a Buddha right now.

As it stands, though, I'll probably be reborn as an intestinal parasite.

KotishkaFleaMarketlobster

I’d like to be reborn as a tree, they do good work turning all that CO2 and H2O into starch and oxygen.

• I want to be a feisty hedgehog!

FleaMarket

For those interested in cremation, there's the Crestone End of Life Project, in Crestone, CO. Located in the San Luis Valley, Crestone is one of the coolest spots on the planet.

CEOLP offers an open-air crematory, with a tip to the spiritual aspect of life's ending. This strikes me as a real and positive alternative to more sterile crematories in the status quo.

If we still lived in Colorado, I would make arrangements.

https://crestoneendoflifeproject.org/

I like this practice of sky burials but we don’t have any suitable mountaintops in the Netherlands, and it’s difficult and costly to have one’s dead body flown to Tibet.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I'm not sure even Tibetan Nationals get to do sky funerals anymore. I have seen them sending nifty containers of ashes aloft hanging from party balloons that spread them which ever way the wind decides.

lobsterKotishkaIdleChater
  • I feel they should make it an International holiday when anyone dies. It would unburden the living.

Here to help! ⚰️

• marcitkomarcitko Veteran
    edited August 2023

@Shoshin1 said:
    I would like to be shot into space to float amongst the stars and if not I'll settle for being a means to an end for science...

With some dieting and good investments...?

"Typical launch costs today are $10,000 US Dollars (USD) to $25,000 USD per kilogram ($4,500 to $11,000 USD per pound), though some countries subsidize space launches, occasionally reducing cost as low as $4,000 USD per kilogram ($1,800 USD per pound)."

:D

Shoshin1

A funeral costs about 10,000 euros over here as well.

But it seems like a self-aggrandising statement. I’m tempted to record no wishes on the matter, as I will be gone by then and what’s left is just the physical shell.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

It is harder to imagine a bigger statement of contempt for your fellows than choosing a funerial legacy that removes that much breathable air from a terrarium that the rest of the living depend upon to continue surviving.

Jeroen
    edited August 2023

@how said:
    It is harder to imagine a bigger statement of contempt for your fellows than choosing a funerial legacy that removes that much breathable air from a terrarium that the rest of the living depend upon to continue surviving.

So that would mean launching your remains into space is one of the worst, and composting probably the best… cremation and burial would be somewhere in between.

Similarly being compacted into Diamonds is probably very wasteful of energy, although it does work well as carbon capture and not releasing fine particulates. I imagine some rich former trophy wives might get a kick out of wearing their husbands…

marcitkoKotishkalobster
  • So that would mean launching your remains into space is one of the worst,

I know that the body and the device in which it will be carried would end up being just another piece of space junk to add to the collection of space pollution ...

In reality....my children already know and have accepted that I would like my body to be donated to science...after all is said and done the body which this "I" inhabits will just be a rotting piece of decaying flesh and bone, its far better to put it to some beneficial use...

I really have no choice in how this body will die...but it would be nice to die with a smile upon my face....

lobster