Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

DoubleSpeak...

Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient BeingOceania Veteran

Welcome to today's world...

Some food for thought, or perhaps not, but then again .......

VastmindJeroen

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 28

“We’re seeing a story that’s being created for us”
    As a lover of language and communication , this was a good watch for me. Thanks for posting!

Doublethink = I know an oxymoron when I hear it. 😜

I’ve been struggling with this in a social group that I’m a part of. The group consists of 7 other women and I generally enjoy the activities and find the variety of ages very helpful in my growth and knowledge as I age….buuuut…there are 2 in the group that are constant doublespeakers and masters at Inflated language…AKA puffing up. And like George Carlin described…Im not good at the soft language, hahaha. Fuck that.

For right now, I’m going to try to be a little more selective in what group things I attend, to avoid the conflict and not make the others uncomfortable. They seem ok with just doing the polite nod and listening to it. Which is their choice…it’s just not my choice. And frankly, I don’t think they realize the subtle clues and nuances of the bullshit these 2 are selling. It drives me nuts!

Shoshin1lobsterLionduck
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A good video. It serves as a reminder of how much political language obscures and confuses.

Shoshin1lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 28

Some food for thought, or perhaps not, but then again .....

Communication is built upon a foundation of emotional intelligence. Simply put, you cannot communicate effectively with others until you can assess and understand your own feelings.
    “If you’re aware of your own emotions and the behaviors they trigger, you can begin to manage these emotions and behaviors,” says Margaret Andrews in her post, How to Improve Your Emotional Intelligence.

Understanding and managing your own emotions is only part of emotional intelligence. The other part — equally important for effective communication — is empathy for others.

I would say in today’s world, emotional intelligence is what’s missing. The politicians and people with all the money and power are bankrupt in this area. And real talk….thats one of the common denominators in the blind followers.

I’ve made that connection as well with the 2 in my social group. It reeks of insecurity.

Shoshin1
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

There are three primary groups fluent in Double Speak
    * Politicians
    * Lawyers
    Televangelists (Pick your grift)

*It can be noted that the string pullers do remain behind the curtain.

While these groups can be quite hazardous to common folk, a bit of salt and a touch if levity can often defuse them as the are alergic to salt and unable to comprehend humor.

Yes, dear folk, the Sun will still rise in the morning and set in the evening,

Peace to all

VastmindShoshin1Jeroenlobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

I also wanted to give you an LOL @Lionduck as it was both witty to-the-point and funny...

Vastmindlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    I also wanted to give you an LOL @Lionduck as it was both witty to-the-point and funny...

I dunz it 4U! Yet to watch the video but I am sure it is depressing. I will wait till I am overly elated... o:)

Shoshin1Lionduck

More on doublespeak

paulysotoo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I regularly watched The Daily Show when Jon Stewart hosted it the first time and would listen to Al Franken and other shows on Air America. They would often point out the spin and obfuscation (doublespeak) the right would conduct. I developed a lay understanding of what to watch for and began to see how the narrative was spun. However, having learned the underlying form rather than just the specific examples I began to see the same patterns and behaviors from left leaning sources. I lost a basic trust that what I was hearing was an accurate picture so I began to listen more broadly and am coming to see more and more that pretty much no one gives a truly accurate and honest picture of reality. My attitude now is that most points of view have something worthwhile to contribute as well as inherent and relatively unavoidable biases. To really get an accurate picture requires a collective, at times collaborative and at other times conflictive, effort. What people often call our sense making institutions such as science and journalism at their best rely on.

Essentially its all doublespeak to a mild or major degree and it requires a collective effort of diverse, good faith views to gain a less wrong picture of the world.

lobsterVastmindShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person, do you think it is worthwhile to acquire this nuanced understanding of the American right for a left-leaning European? My understanding of even Dutch politics is pretty sketchy, and I’m wary of just wading in.

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited August 26

@Jeroen said:
    @person, do you think it is worthwhile to acquire this nuanced understanding of the American right for a left-leaning European? My understanding of even Dutch politics is pretty sketchy, and I’m wary of just wading in.

I don't know. I guess my initial response that pops into my head would be to only seek to understand in as much as you want to wade into American politics at all. If you do I think I'd recommend Left, Right and Center and Open to Debate (formerly Intelligence Squared) for places to get well thought out conservative views in a forum that has enough push back to prevent the crazy from taking hold.

If you don't I'd just say that its unlikely you're getting a very good representation of what the average American conservative thinks from most left leaning sources.

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers [news organizations in this case], presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
    ― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

• howhow Veteran Veteran

There is a psychological and a spiritual realm in which to approach communication.
    These noodles are about the latter.

Are our egos not just personifications of a fundamentally delusive communication?
    The degree that one stops enabling our ego's inertia is the degree that ones communications are no longer just an expression of that ego's momentum.

Beyond a dubious mastering of one's communicative skills, less suffering bound possibilities can arise as skillful means.
    Here, no longer caught up in a habituated adversarial dance between subjects & objects, the questions & answers need not contest with each other.

Put more simply, in our respective practices, how does getting ourselves out of the way of an attempted communication, result in truths that might otherwise be obscured?

Vastmindlobstermarcitko
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Put more simply, in our respective practices, how does getting ourselves out of the way of an attempted communication, result in truths that might otherwise be obscured?

For me it is:

• Extreme practices to the point of being incomprehensible but not incoherent
    • Blessing the virtuous and the vice lostie souls of hell realms
    • Never trust my opinions, arisings or incites... insights [just imagine I said insights]
    • Developing greater humility than 'Dump the trumping' and carrying a big stick
    • Biting the heads off long forgettable mythic snakes [Hail Hydra] >:)

Well that is enough lobster top spiritual practice tips for this morning. More from others hopefully. Oh yes and all hail the three jewels <3
    https://buddhaweekly.com/vajrakilaya-put-a-peg-in-it-cutting-the-three-poisons-with-the-sharpest-weapon-destroying-ignorance-greed-and-hostility-with-profound-vajrakumara/

• Listen
    Seek clarification
    Listen
    Neither use nor accept "Word Salad"
    Listen
    Seek - Evaluate - Act
    Question to learn
    Question to evaluate
    Question to understand
    Listen
    Do not seek to agreement, seek understanding
    Listen
    Always be aware
    If you are a teacher, you are a student
    If you are a student, you are a teacher
    The master of a craft, the mentor is always growing, seeking, always the student.

Double Speak is telling a lie as if it is the truth and the truth as if it is a lie.
    Double Speak Will say, "Do Not" to every Do and "Do" toe every Do Not.

Peace to all

Shoshin1personlobster

Double Speak is telling a lie as if it is the truth and the truth as if it is a lie.

I like it...It sums it up nicely

lobster