Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism becoming to intellectual?

edited May 2011 in Buddhism Today
I am involved with tibetan buddhism. I have studied and practiced for about 4 years now an I am involved in a sangha. I have met many people who has been practicing buddhism for long time, but I don´t see that they are so much calmer and nicer people than the rest of us. Probably they are good at calming their mind in meditation and have a very intellectual understanding. But I don´t see that they seem happier than other. One thing that I see among many buddhists is the intellectual competition between them in their understandning. It seem like some can develope arrogance about their intellectual understanding. But I don´t see many true compassionate and humble people. And I don´t mean this "kind" students who pretend that they are so humble in front of a theacher, I mean true practioner.

It feels like a lot of people use their path for to entertain their intellectual mind and feel special about it.
This is my experience, and I think it is sad. I think the people who works in hospitals are very compassionate people. So is buddhism becoming more a intellectual trip and a way to feel special about their new knowledge?

Comments

• What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    it happens. not always the case though.

when someone attains their true nature that is one thing.
    they should also understand how their true nature functions as well.
    compassion always arises from emptiness. expression always manifests from potential.

true buddhism is an existential realization of what is. it isn't a philosophy or a religion. it is a method and pointer to what is.

meow
  • edited May 2011
    true buddhism is an existential realization of what is. it isn't a philosophy or a religion. it is a method and pointer to what is.

meow
    Yes, I agree. But there is so many debats about words and expressions so it seems like it is the most important thing.

I guess it depends what kind of buddhist tradition you study. Some emphasize very much debate and discussion. But I think it can be a pitfall if you get stucked.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Julia -- My experience: It's a phase ... sometimes a lifelong phase, but a phase nonetheless. The Zen teacher Ta Hui once remarked (approximately), "I have always taken a great vow that I would rather burn in hell for all eternity than to portray Zen as a human emotion."

Intellectual and emotional appreciations are a starting point and a forgivable one ... if these are the only tools available, if the habits of a lifetime are all you know, then how else would anyone approach Buddhism? So, to start off with, it's all intellectual and emotional posturing, both for yourself and for others.

The only thing worth knowing about the mistakes you see around you is this: They are very good encouragements, very good teachers. And what do they teach? In letters ten feet high, those mistakes proclaim: DON'T YOU DO THAT!
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    in korean zen we say keep not knowing mind by asking a great question or keeping a koan. when you don't know, your mind and the buddhas mind is the same.

descartes said that i think therefore i am. thus philosophy is born. thus thinking, thinking, thinking. duality.

zen says i don't think then what? no thinking, seeing clearly at what is, clear mind. non-duality.

but zen even goes farther. how does this no-mind function? it reflects what is. when someone is hungry, you feed them. when someone is sad, you comfort them.

if you think you will do things out of obligation to some moral code or you won't do anything at all. put aside all thinking and just keep clear mind. or in another words just do it without thinking.

if all else fails, go have a glass of water.
  • The only thing worth knowing about the mistakes you see around you is this: They are very good encouragements, very good teachers. And what do they teach? In letters ten feet high, those mistakes proclaim: DON'T YOU DO THAT!
    Thanks, yes I agree it is a good lesson what not to do.

• I am involved with tibetan buddhism. I have studied and practiced for about 4 years now an I am involved in a sangha. I have met many people who has been practicing buddhism for long time, but I don´t see that they are so much calmer and nicer people than the rest of us. Probably they are good at calming their mind in meditation and have a very intellectual understanding. But I don´t see that they seem happier than other. One thing that I see among many buddhists is the intellectual competition between them in their understandning. It seem like some can develope arrogance about their intellectual understanding. But I don´t see many true compassionate and humble people. And I don´t mean this "kind" students who pretend that they are so humble in front of a theacher, I mean true practioner.

It feels like a lot of people use their path for to entertain their intellectual mind and feel special about it.
    I agree with the above, and would say I have been guilty of it. I don't see it is overly negative, its far more an essential part of the path, at least for skeptics like me.

The intellectual conclusions are as indubitable as the spiritual, moral and mental conclusions/results: The Middle Path is the path away from suffering towards peace and contentment - the practice of mindfulness, kindness and truthfulness is the best way to walk the path.

The three gems have many facets, none is more noble than another.

>>>This is my experience, and I think it is sad.

Do you think the buddha would find it sad?

well wishes
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I don't think that Buddhism itself is becoming any more intellectual; it's simply the practitioners, more of which are from the west, which were intellectual to begin with and were drawn to Buddhism. Their interpretation, their perception, seems more based on intellectualization.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I am involved with tibetan buddhism. I have studied and practiced for about 4 years now an I am involved in a sangha. I have met many people who has been practicing buddhism for long time, but I don´t see that they are so much calmer and nicer people than the rest of us. Probably they are good at calming their mind in meditation and have a very intellectual understanding. But I don´t see that they seem happier than other. One thing that I see among many buddhists is the intellectual competition between them in their understandning. It seem like some can develope arrogance about their intellectual understanding. But I don´t see many true compassionate and humble people. And I don´t mean this "kind" students who pretend that they are so humble in front of a theacher, I mean true practioner.

This is my experience, and I think it is sad. I think the people who works in hospitals are very compassionate people. So is buddhism becoming more a intellectual trip and a way to feel special about their new knowledge?
    I don't think it is "becoming" more intellectual, I think it has always been that way. Many of the people that the Buddha taught were quite intellectual who had all kinds of ideas and opinions about things. These debates and discussions were quite prolific even back when he was alive. Many of the scriptures describe the debates that the Buddha himself had with these people in order to correct their views. Which is why the scriptures, even though they are thousands of years old, are still very relevant today because these same debates are still going on today, but they always have been going on.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Its important to understand the path you're walking on, so a rigorous intellectual understanding is important. However, this intellectual understanding is the Buddha pointing at the moon. When we get stuck on looking at the Buddha pointing and we don't instead turn our gaze to the moon we end up with the situation you describe.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ...I have met many people who has been practicing buddhism for long time, but I don´t see that they are so much calmer and nicer people than the rest of us. Probably they are good at calming their mind in meditation and have a very intellectual understanding. But I don´t see that they seem happier than other. One thing that I see among many buddhists is the intellectual competition between them in their understandning. It seem like some can develope arrogance about their intellectual understanding. But I don´t see many true compassionate and humble people. And I don´t mean this "kind" students who pretend that they are so humble in front of a theacher, I mean true practioner.

Julia, I think you ask a very good question. And it is, in my view, a complex answer.

Perhaps there are two elements of Buddhism that makes it a bit more intellectual than some religions. First, to a large extent, we are encouraged to test the various aspects of our religion, rather than just expected to do it because it is the law of our religion. However, I know people of other religions who are just as involved in reading about their reading about their religion, discussing it, and contemplating about it as are many Buddhists.

The second factor about Buddhism being more intellectual may involve how you define what Buddhism is. Some people see Buddhism as a religion. Others argue that it is a philosophy. In this particular forum it seems that it is more often looked at as a religion (which is what I think it is), but I have been in other Buddhism forums where it is considered much more strongly to be a philosophy.

And, what you point out about people feeling special about their Buddhist beliefs is often part of the temptation to think that "my religion is better than your religion", which as someone pointed out in another thread is not very becoming of some Buddhists.

It's fun and intellectually challenging discussing our beliefs. Such discussions can expand our knowledge, but more importantly expand our understanding. That is part of being open-minded. But you'll notice the tendency of a handful of people on this forum to lecture others in the discussion. And for me, taking that kind of attitude is not very productive for anyone because it lacks a sense of humility -- which in this case I'm defining as a lack of understanding that everyone has lots to learn.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Yes!
  • intellectuality is a point of view.

• I don't think it is "becoming" more intellectual, I think it has always been that way. Many of the people that the Buddha taught were quite intellectual who had all kinds of ideas and opinions about things. These debates and discussions were quite prolific even back when he was alive. Many of the scriptures describe the debates that the Buddha himself had with these people in order to correct their views. Which is why the scriptures, even though they are thousands of years old, are still very relevant today because these same debates are still going on today, but they always have been going on.
    Exactly. Also, look at it's developers, such as Nagarjuna. Nagarjuna was not only a deeply realized meditator, he was also a deeply expansive intellectual.

The concepts should follow the realization, they are both necessary functions of the endeavor towards liberation. Buddhism is not a path that is about sitting and emptying the mind in a sense of emptying a jar. That's just an aspect, it's also about understanding how the contents within the jar work. It's in seeing directly the particulars of ones own bondage that one learns how to untie it. This is done both through objective and subjective means in Buddhism.
  • Buddhism is changing all the time.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I would imagine the problem for these people that you protray is that they may be very skilled intellectually and may have good concentration with their meditation but are the cornerstones in their practice and their lives compassion, lovingkindness, and equinimity? Have they penetrated the First Noble Truth, to realize the suffering of themselves and indeed everyone? I believe much of this may have to do with lack of emphasis placed on the 4NT's and the N8, at least that was my experience as a Vajrayana practitioner. Genkaku makes good points as to this being a phase for them. There was a time when I just read about Buddhism and intellectualized over it, it was a good mind game. But when I started really practicing it was a whole different world. This is my understanding and experience.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • Buddhism is changing all the time.
    Only cosmetically... hopefully. If we loose the 4 noble truths, or even the 1st of the 8 fold path... it won't be Buddhism anymore.
    After reading this thread one can see how Buddhism can be very intellectual...and I'm not always sure that's for the better. When I read what are supposed to be the words of Buddha, I don't see an attempt to use big, impressive words. I see mostly rather simple words that convey basic concepts of life to the people Buddha was teaching -- probably mostly a pretty common group of people.
  • After reading this thread one can see how Buddhism can be very intellectual...and I'm not always sure that's for the better. When I read what are supposed to be the words of Buddha, I don't see an attempt to use big, impressive words. I see mostly rather simple words that convey basic concepts of life to the people Buddha was teaching -- probably mostly a pretty common group of people.
    Well @vinlyn,

Simplicity can be better than elaborateness. The Buddha wasn't elaborate because he wanted us to understand, not be impressed. He was a very selfless man.

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    "One thing that I see among many buddhists is the intellectual competition between them in their understandning. It seem like some can develope arrogance about their intellectual understanding."

When people become Buddhist, nothing changes automatically. All that happens is that they transfer their former bad behavior into a Buddhist context. If you meet a Buddhist who is arrogant and intellectually competitive, don't you think they were probably that way before they became Buddhist? Until people take the Buddha's teaching to heart and apply it to their lives, nothing changes. When they do, you will see the change.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I find this is a pretty common thing. Sometimes we can become proud of our understanding, or how noble we have become, and the practice can actually serve to build up the ego rather than tear it down. We see it on message boards too! ;)

I don't think we can really blame the teaching or any particular sect. It is just human egos doing their thing...tenacious little devils egos are!!!

Still the almost total lack of this I find in jodo Shinshu is part of what attracts me to this path. However I know some really humble ego-less people in Zen, Theravada, and Tibetan traditions too. So it is not any particular path, just the way people are sometimes.
  • understanding is not realizing, reading is not practicing. Cause and effect, if you create the causes with the effort, you can become happier or at least tolerant to what life throws at you. Enlightenment or awakening is the goal, yet one should not strive and attach to it too much :)
  • Hi Julia,

Besides the dharma and breath meditation, the Buddha also emphasized the development of metta meditation to plant the seed of lovingkindness within. This can serve as a cause for it to find expression in our actions. Maybe many have neglect this aspect of the practice.

When it comes to happiness, any moment when we stop our restless mind and notice the breeze against our skin or the sounds of the rain in this moment, etc..in that moment we can directly feel more joyful and alive. If we are using the teaching to get something in the future then happiness will always be in the future. If we use the teaching as a tool or pointers to help us settle into the moment then contentment can be felt in each moment , here and now.

With metta,
  • If a religion's anything like it's founder (and I think in this case it is), then it SHOULD be intellectual to the core! Buddha had a TOWERING intellect. Discussions LIKE THIS are a result of that DAUNTING mind.
  • If a religion's anything like it's founder (and I think in this case it is), then it SHOULD be intellectual to the core! Buddha had a TOWERING intellect. Discussions LIKE THIS are a result of that DAUNTING mind.
    I agree! To shun the complex for the simple is an ideal for those without the stomach for deep self evaluation, as you are a very complex being. But, to get lost in the endless elaborations is also not ideal. Thus we have the teaching of dependent origination (endless complexity) and it's emptiness (the simplifying factor for emptying the binding quality of all complexities, which arise inter-dependently). One should not qualify one over the other, one should rather hold this paradox lightly with a sense of inner equality and tranquility born of the experiential insight into nature as a whole.
  • edited May 2011
    one should rather hold this paradox lightly with a sense of inner equality and tranquility born of the experiential insight into nature as a whole.
    Have you heard of Thanissaro Bhikkhu's book "The Paradox of Becoming"?

• one should rather hold this paradox lightly with a sense of inner equality and tranquility born of the experiential insight into nature as a whole.
    Have you heard of Thanissaro Bhikkhu's book "The Paradox of Becoming"?

I have not. Though, I've heard of Thanissaro Bhikkhu! I've read a number of his quotes from E-Sangha to links from E-Sangha back in the day before it was closed.
  • Thank you all for your answers! Interesting to hear your point of view. I can only tell you my observations.

I think there is a lot of pitfalls on the path. The path is great but we can all fall down different pitfalls during the path. It is not easy to see those. Intellectual attachment and big Ego´s is one of them. I don´t say that we shall not investigate with our mind or understand the Buddha´s teaching intellectually. I think it is crucial, but I think you can get stuck there and just bla bla bla about it.

A teacher told us on a course once, that westerners has a tendency to give the wisdom wing to much attention and have a resistance to collecting merit. And he told us it is the opposite in Tibet, Nepal. There the people had a resistance to here the wisdom teachings, they just wanted to collect merits. He told us that it is important to do both. If you only jump into the wisdom and intellectual understanding, your practice become dry like a desert and it is no juice or softness. And if you just jump into the collecting merit part it can be like eating too much sugar. Balance is important he says.
  • I think there is a lot of pitfalls on the path. The path is great but we can all fall down different pitfalls during the path. It is not easy to see those.
    I beleieve it is up to the person travelling the path to decide upon the benefit of the path, for them.

>>>Intellectual attachment and big Ego´s is one of them.

Attachment and ego are delusional and dukka, however they manifest.

>>>I don´t say that we shall not investigate with our mind or understand the Buddha´s teaching intellectually. I think it is crucial

It is crucial for the theory, but imo, not for the practice.

>>>but I think you can get stuck there and just bla bla bla about it.

Sure, (I have done a fair bit of bla bla blaing it myself) but again, unless those people are asking for your advise I wouldn't let it bother you:)

>>>>A teacher told us on a course once, that westerners has a tendency to give the wisdom wing to much attention and have a resistance to collecting merit.

I don't know if that is true.I think it more that in the west we champion one of the three braids of the eightfold path which inevitable leaves the other two aspects in less favour.

>>> And he told us it is the opposite in Tibet, Nepal. There the people had a resistance to here the wisdom teachings, they just wanted to collect merits. He told us that it is important to do both. If you only jump into the wisdom and intellectual understanding, your practice become dry like a desert and it is no juice or softness. And if you just jump into the collecting merit part it can be like eating too much sugar. Balance is important he says.

I would agree with him, though I don't really get the merit idea; to me dharma is more about making happinesses than recieving reward...

namaste

• So is buddhism becoming more a intellectual trip and a way to feel special about their new knowledge?

Yes, Buddhists with a tendency to be intellectual can get caught up in this, it's something we need to watch. On the other hand it can be a useful way in for some people, since Dharma is philosophically stimulating and profound.

Spiny

>>> And he told us it is the opposite in Tibet, Nepal. There the people had a resistance to here the wisdom teachings, they just wanted to collect merits. He told us that it is important to do both. If you only jump into the wisdom and intellectual understanding, your practice become dry like a desert and it is no juice or softness. And if you just jump into the collecting merit part it can be like eating too much sugar. Balance is important he says.

I would agree with him, though I don't really get the merit idea; to me dharma is more about making happinesses than recieving reward...

namaste

The merit concept is emphasized in Thailand, as well. For example, giving to beggars is considered a must, but it seems they believe in doing it more for merit than out of true compassion.

• edited May 2011
    I don't think Julia's objecting to Buddhism's inherent intellectual aspects. I think what she's saying is that some people in her sangha are getting ego-involved in their comprehension of some of the complexities in the concepts they're learning. Instead of actually practicing loving-kindness and internalizing "no-self", they're getting all wrapped up in discussing these things in the abstract, like new intellectual toys to play with. That's not what Buddhism's about, it's about practice. (Though TB does have a vigorous debate tradition in the monasteries.) Julia, I don't know where you live or what your options are, but you might look around for a different sangha, where people are truly kind and thoughtful of others. Or just go to the one you're already in, and focus on what you can learn, and tune out those who don't seem to "get it" on a heart level.
  • edited May 2011
    I would say that learning the concepts or theories of the dhamma is part of the path. However, only when we apply these concepts and put them to practice do we experience the effects. For example, meditation, full awareness in daily life, metta, or service activities.

If we just read the recipe book and look at all the tasty looking pictures of the meals, we can't actually taste it or fill our stomach. However, if after reading we go into the kitchen and cook according to the instruction then we can actually benefit from the nourishment of the food that the book describe. In the same way, if people just read the concepts alone it is not enough to create a dramatic change.
  • Sure, you learn the concepts, but you don't get so attached to them that you're showing off your erudition to everyone around you. That kind of defeats the purpose... :p
  • Judging peoples tendencies towards intellectual comprehensions is inherently flawed, in that if you are a Buddhist, and are trying to adhere to the core of the teaching. You should understand that everyone has their process, and people have different tendencies than others. Some may go through this period of a deep analytical process. For me, I used to kind of shun intellectual analysis for sitting meditation and would sit for 4 to 6 hours a day, for years. Then I realized, I didn't have a grounded intellectual understanding of what it was I was meditating for. It was a part of the process and I don't judge it, as I had incredible meditative experiences, I didn't want to stop, I wanted to live most of my life in meditation. But, then I realized that I wasn't integrating all the aspects of my personal potential enough by doing this. So, I starting reading the nuanced debates with more care, with a subtle eye for the deep underlying reasons and positive outcomes for such a practice.

Nuanced debate has always been a practice in Buddhism, from the Buddha on.

How about... "Is Buddhism becoming to simplified and aren't there too many Westerners with very little regard for the Intellectual aspect of Buddhism and aren't these people having too much ego about over simplification?"

Maybe a person without a good intellectual ability, is having issues in other aspects of their life because they can't come to a good inner logical explanation for the nuanced causes and conditions for the existence of these neurosis?
  • Again, I think people who can't yet get with the deep intellectual aspect of Buddhism, need to just practice, and see what happens for themselves. Now, if there is this boisterous sense of personal accomplishment, leading to "high horse" mentalities... of course that's a flawed level of being. But, read some Nagarjuna, who was a Tantric adept, yet still deeply nuanced in his intellectual explanations of the Buddhadharma, in a very positive way. One should accept where people are at in their process, and again, one must accept if someone can't accept where others are in there process as well.

There is not a perfect ideal when it comes to Buddhism. There is no definite it's this or that which can be encapsulated so easily. Even the various virtues that naturally arise through experiential understanding of the dharma will be expressed differently, all arising dependent upon the different types or people who grow up around different types of conditions. The sun is the sun, but it doesn't shine on every person the same way.

Who to judge?
  • edited May 2011
    From time to time, people are capable of clinging to the Dhamma. This means that they get involved in thinking about it in a tense and tight way so that they can fight things within themselves that they don't like, and fight things outside of themselves that they don't like. It is unfortunate, and it does lead to a lot of heavy philosophical thinking that goes no where but in circles. Buddha taught a lighthearted path of smiling, relaxing, and being at peace with the present moment.
    I would suggest to you to maybe give Tibetan Buddhism a little rest, and maybe do some research on the four noble truths, and dependent origination. A lot of the time the four noble truths are presented as just four sentences that Buddha said that really don't mean anything and have nothing to do with you. However, the truth is they are a description of the profoundly subtle process of the arising of conditioned phenomenon as you proliferate them in your mind with thinking, and the cessation, or unbinding, of that phenomenon as you let it go, and relax it. When you learn to see these truths as they arise and pass away, by practicing the eightfold path, you really start to see what Buddha was talking about, and this will in turn cause you to experience life in a very peaceful, lighthearted manner, and also to experience a lot more happiness which is what Buddha was really teaching. Good luck.
  • The Eightfold Path can be divided into 3 aspects. Intellectual understanding has to do with the Panna division. Meditation has to do with the Samadhi division. Moral practices and good deeds are related to the Sila division. Together the three division make up the Eightfold Path. I don't think it is a good idea to leave out any aspects.
  • I don´t see that they are so much calmer and nicer people than the rest of us. Probably they are good at calming their mind in meditation and have a very intellectual understanding. But I don´t see that they seem happier than other. One thing that I see among many buddhists is the intellectual competition between them in their understandning. It seem like some can develope arrogance about their intellectual understanding. But I don´t see many true compassionate and humble people.
    I would take time with this one.. We should try to not be to quick to use our judgement or make quick assumptions. It's difficult to see a person's true intention, goodwill, peaceful nature etc. You have to realize they are wearing the mask of humanity, but what they are doing, we don't know. They may act one way or say things one way, but if they have no attachments what so ever, then they are really trying to communicate other things that we don't understand at that time.

best wishes

• VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    When you learn to see these truths as they arise and pass away, by practicing the eightfold path, you really start to see what Buddha was talking about, and this will in turn cause you to experience life in a very peaceful, lighthearted manner, and also to experience a lot more happiness which is what Buddha was really teaching. Good luck.
    The application is simple, their inward nuanced forms of untying is complex. As you go deeper in meditation, and you see directly the knots within your subconscious at high speed, the in-between moments, the nano-seconds, you go from mundane meditative joy to supermundane bliss states. This doesn't happen without inward logical application of the dharma to your personally relative neurosis. You start seeing directly the energy of ones bondage. It's conceptual explanations and methodology will be subtler and seemingly complex to those without this level of experience, but if you are here, and have that understanding, the complex is not complex, it's very simple as your level of information processing will be faster.

So, these nuanced seemingly intellectual understandings will not be very complex for those with that level of experience.

The 4NT and 8FP are deeply covered by all Tibetan teachers. If they are not covering these, I would change teachers. My own Dzogchen Rinpoche, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche teaches all these basic teachings in his Precious Vase book. All bases are covered in Vajrayana, what some call Tibetan Buddhism which for me is not quite true as it's Vajrayana from India, merely protected in Tibet during the strong Hindu uprising and then Muslim attacks which destroyed Buddhism in India 1,000 years ago.

• @Vajraheart - I think I understand what you are saying. I am not an expert in Dzogchen, or Vajrayana. However, I did spend over two years practicing intensively with the NKT which bases it's teachings and practices on the 21 meditations of Lamrim. I tell you from personal experience that after all of that I still did not have a single clue what the four noble truths were, or what they meant. Of course I knew that they were a doctrine that existed, but I was never taught a single thing about them. Due to this my mind became more and more wrapped up in intellectual concepts. It tended more and more to thinking about this, and thinking about that. It wasn't until I came upon a teacher who was expounding the four noble truths that I discovered all of this deep and heavy thinking was actually causing me suffering - the very thing that I was trying to escape from by engaging in the practice of Tibetan Buddhism. The third noble truth tells us that if we can let go of all these horrible mental habits we can actually experience happiness, and it is a simple, and easy to understand happiness. There are no thoughts involved in it at all. It is only a pure, gentle, unhindered awareness of the present moment.
  • Thank you Tikal2012 for your answer. I recognize what you say and I totally agree with you. That is my experience as well. Too many intellectual study just makes me thinking and pondering even more. No space at all and it can cause suffering.
    :banghead:
  • edited May 2011
    Julia, you are most welcome. It was my pleasure. :)
  • Julia, you are most welcome. It was my pleasure. :)
    Which tradition do you study for now then?

• However, I did spend over two years practicing intensively with the NKT
    I'm sorry that your introduction to Vajrayana was through the cult of the NKT. You were introduced to high teachings through a low conduit.

May you find the peace you are looking for through your current branch of Buddhism!

But, I'd like to tell you that there is no real relation that the NKT has with Vajrayana except the garb, or the dressing. The NKT, I must say is one of the worst introductions to Vajrayana I can think of, other than a few other cults that claim to be Vajrayana out there that I know of.

They might have some of the dressings right, but they won't have the lineage empowerment, which is necessary for Vajrayana to work, and they won't have the experientially fortified understanding of the teachings.
  • Thank you Tikal2012 for your answer. I recognize what you say and I totally agree with you. That is my experience as well. Too many intellectual study just makes me thinking and pondering even more. No space at all and it can cause suffering.
    :banghead:
    The higher teachings should not be an intellectual weight, which is why they are not for everyone. They must be expressions of deep experience, which is what is transmitted through the lineages of true and real Vajrayana. It's something deeper than concepts, but is represented by the concepts. Vajrayana is not about impressions in the brain, but impressions in the energy of a being. It's not about thinking, it's about knowing. In real Vajrayana, students go through a process of learning and meditative experience before moving on to the next level of teaching and meditative methods. I agree that Vajrayana should not be the first introduction to Buddhism for someone that has no past experience with Buddhism, either past life or this life. It's kind of like trying to learn quantum physics before you even learn the basics of mathematics.
  • @Julia - At the present moment I am practicing under an American Forest Tradition teacher. Effectively it is the Thai Forest Tradition, but brought back to America. If you'd like more information regarding it I could certainly send you a PM.
  • edited May 2011
    Dear Vajraheart! I don't have a problem with the deep experience that I have had. The problem comes with all the concept building around the experience and their explanations. They differs depending on which lineage. Gelukpa tradition for example explains everything in great detail and I find it being too much.

Tikal2012: Yes it would be great if you could send me some information.
  • Dear Vajraheart! I don't have a problem with the deep experience that I have had. The problem comes with all the concept building around the experience and their explanations. They differs depending on which lineage. Gelukpa tradition for example explains everything in great detail and I find it being too much.

Tikal2012: Yes it would be great if you could send me some information.
    @Julia

I agree, I'm more Nyingmapa. Maybe that would be more your speed, more about direct experience than the concepts. You are correct in that the Gelugpas are very nitty gritty, almost to a fault, dependent upon the person. It's good for people like the Dalai Lama, who is highly experienced and a Gelugpa, because he is able to explain things to people, which is what knowing the nitty gritty is about. The Gelugpa is definitely a conceptual school. But, the Dalai Lamas heart practice is Dzogchen, which is from the Nyingmapa. This is my heart practice as well.

• Talking about Buddhism in a "intellectual fashion" without enough practice and actual realisation is a 100% smack talk know wat im sayin?

Talkin about sheet for kalpas and get no where!