Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Infographic: People Who Eat Breakfast Are Smarter And Skinnier!!

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    sndymorn
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    A saying goes something like, "Eat like a king for breakfast, eat like a queen for lunch and eat like a pauper for dinner" to stay healthy and slim.

I am that I am. ;)
    DaltheJigsawpersonJeffrey
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

[img]

Thank you!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    ok you didn't have to quote the whole image that's too much. you're welcome but i removed the image from your quote :)
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Seriously?????? Only 44% of Americans eat breakfast every day????? That staggers me...
    Cloud said:

ok you didn't have to quote the whole image that's too much. you're welcome but i removed the image from your quote :)

LOL!
    Bunks said:

Seriously?????? Only 44% of Americans eat breakfast every day????? That staggers me...

Why? It makes sense!!
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Bunks said:

Why? It makes sense!!
    Really? I must be naive. I just kind of assumed the majority of people were like me and ate a hearty brekky every day. If it was 70% I'd not be surprised.

Do coffee and a cigarette count as breakfast??? :p
    Jeffreylobster
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    What I heard is that you can basically skip breakfast, because there's a study that shows whether people eat breakfast or not doesn't affect how much they eat the rest of the day. Dunno what to believe really, everyone's saying different things.
    Beej
  • I'd say it's important how people define "breakfast". Coffee and a crescent roll aren't going to see you through the morning, energy and nutrition-wise. In fact, that can cause your blood sugar to spike, then crash, and leave you feeling tired mid-morning, or craving more empty carbs. Eating a balanced breakfast is important.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Well, if breakfast is supposed to make you slimmer and smarter than without, all I can say is that if I didn't eat breakfast, I'd be a beached whale with a university degree....

she said, self-deprecatingly and modestly, at one and the same time.... :crazy: :D
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Same here, my wattery porridge wi a snuff'o'sawt seems to be faulty...
    Sabby
  • I have the exact same thing every morning and I never get sick of it.

1 or 2 ripe bananas depending on size
    1cup of oats
    1 serving of flax meal
    cinnamon
    raw honey
    nut butter depending on what's available (peanut butter, sunflower seed, almond)
    almond milk

Everything is organic for the most part.. almond milk is not but that is no big deal.

I mix all that together in a big bowl and I am set for hours.
    Beejlobster
  • Cup of tea and a smoke. Though I do love a good fry up :)
    BeejToshlobster
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I eat two small breakfast type dealies everyday. One (ceral and fruit) to stop my stomach from saying "I'm fricken hungry, yo!" and the other (more fruit and maybe an egg or something) so the coffee sloshing about inside has something to grab on to. My lunch might actually be that second b-fast, but by then I'm so jazzed on coffee that it dosen't even matter... I'm just riding the wave of caffeine until dinner. :coffee:
    LeonBasin said:

Bunks said:

Why? It makes sense!!
    Really? I must be naive. I just kind of assumed the majority of people were like me and ate a hearty brekky every day. If it was 70% I'd not be surprised.

Do coffee and a cigarette count as breakfast??? :p
    Lol! I been around! Literally:0 And I have seen many people skip or like you mentioned drink coffee as their breakfast meal substitute.
    I'd say it's important how people define "breakfast". Coffee and a crescent roll aren't going to see you through the morning, energy and nutrition-wise. In fact, that can cause your blood sugar to spike, then crash, and leave you feeling tired mid-morning, or craving more empty carbs. Eating a balanced breakfast is important.
    What are your suggestions? What is your breakfast intake like?
  • LeonBasin said:

I'd say it's important how people define "breakfast". Coffee and a crescent roll aren't going to see you through the morning, energy and nutrition-wise. In fact, that can cause your blood sugar to spike, then crash, and leave you feeling tired mid-morning, or craving more empty carbs. Eating a balanced breakfast is important.
    What are your suggestions? What is your breakfast intake like?

Well, I notice that some people above to well on carby breakfasts, but they're whole-grain, not white flour, that's important. White flour metabolizes into sugar. It doesn't stay with you very long, whereas oatmeal with milk (I like to add some protein powder), or the fruit-and-granola thing someone mentioned ) (oatmeal & granola are the same thing, pretty much, except granola has more stuff in it) are whole-grain, and don't cause that blood sugar spike that any processed grain would.

Personally, I always have some form of protein for breakfast. A chunk of cheese on toast, with tea, or maybe cheese with apple slices, or Huevos Rancheros (I make it as an omelet with black beans on the side), or just boiled eggs with whole-grain toast, or cottage cheese with mixed fruit. Yogurt with fruit and protein powder in the blender is good. If in a hurry, a protein bar. My dad used to have fried smelt on Sunday mornings--lots of good fish oil in that.

Bread: I've been experimenting with whole-grain breads. I've settled on this red rice bread, and there's some hemp bread out there that's a lot lighter than most other breads. For those of you who have to avoid wheat or gluten.

DaltheJigsawlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    A bowl of oatmeal with skim milk, sweetened with some stevia and some fruit like a banana and maybe some strawberries keeps me going strong for several hours.
    DaltheJigsawlobster
  • person said:

A bowl of oatmeal with skim milk, sweetened with some stevia and some fruit like a banana and maybe some strawberries keeps me going strong for several hours.

Stevia--that's good! Another thing you can do to sweeten the oatmeal is to boil it with the bananas in it. Banana-cinnamon oatmeal--yum! :)

DaltheJigsawlobster
    What other suggestions do you guys have for breakfast other then Oatmeal, Yogurt, Toast and Eggs?
  • Bacon.

Smoked salmon is lovely for breakfast, too. :)

Protein is a great way to start the day because it fills you up and gives you energy without the crash you get from carbs. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    LeonBasin said:

What other suggestions do you guys have for breakfast other then Oatmeal, Yogurt, Toast and Eggs?

Apples and cheese (try Manchego = sheep cheese). Beans, rice and corn tortillas, like veggie tacos, with avacado slices, if desired. I guess you didn't like my fried smelt idea. How about fried trout, with guacamole topping? A selection of flatbreads/crackers with different spreads: peanut butter, cream cheese and jam, cheese (sheep or goat). Tea. Have you ever tried that Norwegian goat cheese that comes in the metallic red wrapper? Gjetost, it's called. Looks weird (brown color), but it's great stuff! Good on crackers.

• Cottage cheese with pineapple.
    Toasted banana sandwich.
    Papaya half with yogurt.
    I can't wait for morning to come now!
    DaltheJigsawlobster
    LeonBasin said:

Apples and cheese (try Manchego = sheep cheese). Beans, rice and corn tortillas, like veggie tacos, with avacado slices, if desired. I guess you didn't like my fried smelt idea. How about fried trout, with guacamole topping? A selection of flatbreads/crackers with different spreads: peanut butter, cream cheese and jam, cheese (sheep or goat). Tea. Have you ever tried that Norwegian goat cheese that comes in the metallic red wrapper? Gjetost, it's called. Looks weird (brown color), but it's great stuff! Good on crackers.

I'm trying to stay away from dairy, as I think it's the cause of my acne outbreak...
  • LeonBasin said:

LeonBasin said:

I'm trying to stay away from dairy, as I think it's the cause of my acne outbreak... That's why I mentioned sheep dairy. It doesn't have the heavy hormone load that cow dairy does. There're also non-dairy suggestions given. And with oatmeal, you can use almond milk (it's pretty good!) or soy or rice milk.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I've been on a bit of a fitness 'thing' for a year now and I forced myself to eat breakfast to begin with. Just a bowl of cereal and milk. It does help in that come lunch time I'm not craving for Gingster pasties and crisps.

I've lost a stone this year - so far - down from 14 Stone to just under 13 stone. I want to get to 12 Stone to be a skinny runner.

I don't think I'm any smarter though. :o
    lobster
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    While the stone is a very common unit of weight in the British Isles, it is virtually unknown even as a historical unit in North America and other places; use of the term can mystify an international audience.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit)#Metric_stone
    I had to look that up. Thanks :p
    Sabby
  • edited August 2012
    LeonBasin said:

chopped veg- spring onion, pak choi, sugar snaps, green beans, peppers, carrots, leeks etc. Add to boiling water; add veg stock.. (optional) carb of choice- small amount of potato, lentils, rice noodles, wheat noodles etc. Simmer for a few mins. (optional) add spices (ginger, chilli etc)

Add meat/veg protein of choice in a super-large serving bowl- mackeral, chicken, soy, tofu, prawn etc. Pour soup over meat in serving bowl and eat when cool.

Enjoy !

DaltheJigsaw
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Anyone had a traditional Japanese breakfast? You pour your morning green tea over last night's cold rice and eat it with soup with bits of sea weed in it, accompanied by pickles and these little fish that look like sticklebacks.

It took a while, for after a month or two I actually enjoyed it.
    DaltheJigsawlobster
  • I have the exact same thing every morning and I never get sick of it.

1 or 2 ripe bananas depending on size
    1cup of oats
    1 serving of flax meal
    cinnamon
    raw honey
    nut butter depending on what's available (peanut butter, sunflower seed, almond)
    almond milk

Everything is organic for the most part.. almond milk is not but that is no big deal.

I mix all that together in a big bowl and I am set for hours.

EXCELLENT choice!
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited March 2013
    steak! I know many are vegetarian here but leftover meat from dinner the night before is a great breakfast if you can look past the "this is not breakfast food!" thing. I usually eat some variety of yogurt and fruit. My very favorite breakfast is quinoa with a little honey, berries and chai seeds. I think I mentioned that in another food thread. So good. I also really like plain Fage yogurt with berries and nuts or this stuff we can get here called Crapola, which is organic locally made CRanberryAPplegranOLA. So good. You can buy it online, too. Oh and overeasy eggs on Udi's sprout english muffins. I don't eat much wheat so those replace my normal english muffins.
    MaryAnne
  • I LOVE leftovers for breakfast! Always did always will. Mind you, I usually don't eat breakfast much before 10 or 11 am, because I take (2) pills every morning and usually wait at least an hour before I eat. So I think of my first meal of the day as more of a "brunch" than breakfast. :D
    If I have a little steak or London broil from the night before, I'll make steak n eggs. Or Chinese food! Love it for brunch- shrimp fried rice with a few leftover chunks of sesame chicken- YUM.
    I also got past that "that is not 'breakfast food' thing many years ago. I think it was when I was pregnant with my second kid and the usual 'bacon and eggs' breakfast stuff just didn't sit well with me. I still do have eggs about twice a week, and waffles or whatever other traditional breakfast food. But if there is good stuff left over, that's my preference! :)
    lobster
  • I believe it- I hardly ever eat breakfast.
  • When I was a kid I would eat two Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits toasted toasty with a thick wedge of cheddar cheese on both. I'm sure my arteries will have problems, but damn those things were good. I would get up earlier than everyone so I could claim my spot sitting by the furnace register with my biscuits. Yum.

Note: biscuits in USA are nothing like what we call cookies.
  • Rushed breakfast on way to work = banana
    Good breads out there, with seeds and nuts. Toast. Add butter, top. Breakfast done.

• edited March 2013
    Time to start eating breakfast.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

This stuff is awesome. Whole grains, and can be prepared like hot oatmeal, or cold with milk, or dry with yogurt and fruit.
    DaltheJigsaw