Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The lie of modern Buddhism

SonghillSonghill Veteran
edited November 2012 in Buddhism Today
Excuse the pun on the word lie (e.g., the lie of the ball). The title is really about situation of modern Buddhism: where is it relative to modernity.

Okay, let's start with, "What is modernity (i.e., state of being modern)?"
“This modern feeling now seems to consist in the conviction that we ourselves are somehow new, that a new age is beginning, that everything is possible and nothing can ever be the same again, we want to 'make it new,' get rid of those old objects, values, mentalities, and ways of doing things, and to be somehow transfigured” (Fredric Jameson, Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism, p. 310).
The above sums it up nicely (I have Stephen Batchelor's book in mind, Buddhism Without Beliefs). Personally, I see the lie of modern Buddhism as an ancient Indian religion that has been remade into a new psychology to fill the needs of moderns. What has been removed from Buddhism (e.g, karma and rebirth) we deem to be alien and foreign to the needs of modernity. Moreover, what has been removed, certainly doesn't ring of progress nor does it sit well with materialism both of which are vital elements of modernity.

Reading both the Pali Nikayas and the Mahayana Sutras I am always astonished by how much Buddhism is left out of modern Buddhism.
Jeffreyzsc

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    So all you have to do is ignore that which you do not like, and let others make their own decisions.
    lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I also find that many modern Buddhists focus on the words and the forms of the teachings and forget that the main point is to use them to transform ones mind.
    JeffreyDaozen
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    A friend once told me about a book called Buddhism without meditation, I think it was called. I was kinda taken aback! What value is there in medicine if you're just going to read the labels all day without actually taking some?

I've read the instruction manual on how to ride a bike at LEAST 10,000 times, I know exactly all the parts of the bike, how fast or slow the bike can -theoretically- go... I know what other people's experiences of riding the bike sound like, and I know by heart all the famous biographies of all the bestest bike riders out there.

but it don't mean i know anything about riding bikes ^^

(a great spiritual friend told me this one day and I could not help but laugh and also want to practice more! ^^)
    Daozen
  • Vinlyn:

In modernity, Buddhism is not allowed to speak for itself. The friars of modernity have had to reformulate Buddhism lest it present something to public consciousness un-modern. We might learn, for example, that this life in not the only one we shall ever live—there are plenty more to come otherwise called samsara. We might also learn that, intrinsically, we are not this temporal body we prize so much. In fact, we are much more.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Songhill said:

Excuse the pun on the word lie (e.g., the lie of the ball). The title is really about situation of modern Buddhism: where is it relative to modernity.

Okay, let's start with, "What is modernity (i.e., state of being modern)?"

“This modern feeling now seems to consist in the conviction that we ourselves are somehow new, that a new age is beginning, that everything is possible and nothing can ever be the same again, we want to 'make it new,' get rid of those old objects, values, mentalities, and ways of doing things, and to be somehow transfigured” (Fredric Jameson, Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism, p. 310).
    The above sums it up nicely (I have Stephen Batchelor's book in mind, Buddhism Without Beliefs). Personally, I see the lie of modern Buddhism as an ancient Indian religion that has been remade into a new psychology to fill the needs of moderns. What has been removed from Buddhism (e.g, karma and rebirth) we deem to be alien and foreign to the needs of modernity. Moreover, what has been removed, certainly doesn't ring of progress nor does it sit well with materialism both of which are vital elements of modernity.

Reading both the Pali Nikayas and the Mahayana Sutras I am always astonished by how much Buddhism is left out of modern Buddhism.

Removed ? I haven't noticed these things being removed, Perhaps it is simply the take of some authors such as Steven Batchelor then again I don't know many who regard him as a good Buddhist teacher. Anyone who tampers with Buddha's teachings in such a way should be given a wide berth, Karma and Rebirth are interlinking aspects of Buddha's teachings and proponents who like to Ignore them or remove them entirely from their presentation turn the Buddha's Liberation into a form of Nihilism. There will always be Materialists who try dilute Buddha's teachings and turn them into a form of pop psychology. :(
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I've yet to read a book on Buddhism that dismisses karma or rebirth.

Is it just Stephen Batchelor? Who are these "modern" savages?

• SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Ourself:

I said "What has been removed from Buddhism (e.g, karma and rebirth)." I never used the word "dismisses." If something has been removed, it is not there to read. Right? So you can thumb through many Buddhist books and not find a serious unpacking of rebirth or karma and a number of other important Buddhist subjects. This is a problem. It helps, in a certain way, to obscure Buddhism's true mystical context (it is only through such mysticism that salvation is possible).
    "The mystical element is an essential part of Buddhism" (Heinrich Dumoulin, A History of Zen Buddhism, 5 ).
  • Songhill said:

Vinlyn:

In modernity, Buddhism is not allowed to speak for itself. The friars of modernity have had to reformulate Buddhism lest it present something to public consciousness un-modern. We might learn, for example, that this life in not the only one we shall ever live—there are plenty more to come otherwise called samsara. We might also learn that, intrinsically, we are not this temporal body we prize so much. In fact, we are much more.

I don't know what "friars" you're talking about but have are you familiar with Tibetan Buddhism? Pretty wild and wooly stuff, far from "modern". Nobody's trying to reformulate that.

I know what you mean, though. Many Buddhists don't know that Buddhism includes belief in dozens of "realms", and a complex cosmology, for example.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Songhill said:

Ourself:

I said "What has been removed from Buddhism (e.g, karma and rebirth)." I never used the word "dismisses." If something has been removed, it is not there to read. Right? So you can thumb through many Buddhist books and not find a serious unpacking of rebirth or karma and a number of other important Buddhist subjects. This is a problem. It helps, in a certain way, to obscure Buddhism's true mystical context (it is only through such mysticism that salvation is possible).

"The mystical element is an essential part of Buddhism" (Heinrich Dumoulin, A History of Zen Buddhism, 5 ).
    Ok, I can dig that but not every Buddhist teaching has to get into karma or rebirth. Personally, it took getting just the basics down before rebirth started making sense to me.

Mysticism is just what we make it. Karma is causation and rebirth is a logical conclusion if mind follows causation but does that make it "mystical" or just the way it rolls?

There is a fine line between the mystical and the mundane and when it is made out to be bold, we lose some peoples interest.

Dakini said:

Songhill said:

Vinlyn:

I don't know what "friars" you're talking about but have are you familiar with Tibetan Buddhism? Pretty wild and wooly stuff, far from "modern". Nobody's trying to reformulate that.

I know what you mean, though. Many Buddhists don't know that Buddhism includes belief in dozens of "realms", and a complex cosmology, for example.

Mind is a funny place.

Arthurbodhisova
  • I wonder whether the climate of the past ten years presents any more challenges for Buddhism than the 100 years before that, or the 1000 years before that...

That doesn't mean there are no challenges. The Cultural Revolution, the Vatican, Big Protestantism, certain wealthy political Parties...all feel they have something to lose to Buddhism, and have worked or are working to exact their piece of flesh. Maybe "modern" Buddhism has joined the club, or is merely a tool for those already in the club.

But genuine Buddhism, like any movement, has always faced opposition; 2500 years is a pretty hard streak to break. It seems to have remained quite true to its basic shape, imo.
  • Who cares? We sit the same way. We do the same practices. We get the same results.
    vinlynRodrigoTheEccentric
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    We sit the same way. We do the same practices. We get the same results.
    Exactly! Whether you believe in karma, rebirth, devas, etc... or if you are a hardcore skeptic... the results are the same if you just follow the path.

All this panic about "Modern Buddhism" is just old established religion protecting their dogma, or getting scared the new guy might take some of their followers.
    vinlynMaryAnne
    If one steps back and looks at trends in religion, it is pretty clear that there is a movement away from strict organized "old-time" religion, and a more individual-choice about defining a personal religion. There are good things and bad about that. But that is the trend.
    Sile
  • That's the power of impermanent!
  • Well if someone wants to set aside certain aspects of Buddhism such as the mystical elements, to put more focus on the present moment, and more focus on creating good karma for this lifetime only, then let them. Some people prefer to keep the mystical element, and focus on creating good karma for this life and future rebirths, so let them too.
    vinlyn
  • http://www.byomakusuma.org/Teachings/TheUseOfSymbolsAndRitualsInVajrayanaMahayanaBuddhism.aspx

...Here, it is important to distinguish a very important point. Those who have tried to make Buddhism concord with Modernism have constantly harped on the point that the Buddha revolted against all rites and rituals. There are two things wrong with this view. Firstly, this is an attempt to fit the Buddha in a ‘modernist weltanschauung’ as if the Buddha’s view of the world was exactly like what came into existence in the cultures of the Western world after the 17th century due to scientific developments and the Industrial Revolution. Till about 1950, the whole of the Western culture was under the sway of Modernism. Modernism believed that only what was scientific or looked scientific was true, real, fact, un-superstitious; anything else that didn’t look scientific or similar to Physics and Chemistry was false, untrue, and superstitious. Needless to say, many Buddhist scholars and educated Buddhists of that time (especially those Buddhist monk scholars of the British colonial Ceylon) fell for this consensual hypnotic illusion and subscribed rather vociferously to this view. So anything within Buddhism that didn’t look scientific, was not analytically linear, didn’t fit the Cartesian Reductionist linear paradigm was thrown out the window and declared that the Buddha did not actually teach such a thing but rather was brought into Buddhism by latter-day decadent Buddhists.

Symbols and rites and rituals were among those most valuable psychotherapeutic elements which didn’t fit the Modernist paradigm. So they were declared as wholesale non-Buddhist; and they were actually things the Buddha himself actually taught against. However, after the Cognitive Revolution in the West in the 1950’s, Modernism has lost its stranglehold on Western cultural weltanschauung and is no longer considered as the whole and sole criteria to decide what is true and what is not. After the 1950’s, Post-Modernism began to fan out across the Western cultural horizon and Modernism gradually died out. Post-Modernism upholds the fact that the scientific view of life is only one mode of gauging reality and is by no means the whole and sole determinant of what is true or false; and there are alternate modes to experience / evaluate and interpret the world / reality etc. which are equally valid. Now, if we subscribe to these quaint ideas that the Buddha had the same view as the Modernists whose ideas began only after the 17th century and that too in the West; today we automatically make the Buddha outdated in this Post-Modernist world. It is also absurd to believe that the Buddha in the 6th century BC taught what the Modernists believed in the 17th century and refuted whatever these Modernists refuted or saw as false...
  • edited November 2012
    There are buddhist principles, such as karma and rebirth, which go against science, which have no empirical evidence. We reject them. There are others, like mindfulness, which produce actual changes in the brain, changes which can be observed. This aspect of Buddhism can be accepted, at least tentatively, since it doesn't go against science.
    @music

If you can tentatively accept certain aspects of Buddhism, can you tentatively reject, as opposed to reject outright, the aspects which science has only not found and not really disproven.
  • There are buddhist principles, such as karma and rebirth, which go against science, which have no empirical evidence.
    There is this scientific study describing 20 cases suggestive of reincarnation, so there could actually be empirical evidence.
    I also wonder if modern life doesn't touch Buddhism, can Buddhism touch modern life?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    person said:

If you can tentatively accept certain aspects of Buddhism, can you tentatively reject, as opposed to reject outright, the aspects which science has only not found and not really disproven.

I find the best approach is to make a clear distinction between Buddhist teaching and our personal beliefs and disbeliefs.
    vinlynJeffrey

Whether you believe in karma, rebirth, devas, etc... or if you are a hardcore skeptic... the results are the same if you just follow the path.

Fair point, what I don't get is the attachment by some to skepticism and disbelief. Why not just keep an open mind and leave these questions on the back burner?
    fivebells said:

Who cares? We sit the same way. We do the same practices. We get the same results.

But do traditional and secular Buddhists think about the goal in the same way? In the traditional view the goal of enlightenment is seen as a hallowed state which takes many lifetimes, in the secular view the approach seems more therapeutic.
    music said:

There are buddhist principles, such as karma and rebirth, which go against science, which have no empirical evidence. We reject them. There are others, like mindfulness, which produce actual changes in the brain, changes which can be observed. This aspect of Buddhism can be accepted, at least tentatively, since it doesn't go against science.

How exactly does Karma go against science? Even rebirth doesn't go against science just because there is no empirical evidence for it.

Karma is simply cause and effect and there would have to be empirical evidence against rebirth for it to go against science.

The Abidharma cosmology is another matter. In his book The Universe in a Single Atom, even H.H. The Dalai Lama says we should drop that one since it goes against what we know know.

There is no reason to cling to outdated dogma.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2012
    OK, @Songhill, you've convinced me. I'm going to embrace the True, Olde Time Buddhism like our ancestors practiced. The traditional religion as practiced in the East. The tradition that Buddha taught.

So which one, true, olde time Buddhism do I embrace? Tibetan Buddhism? Oh, wait, that has the whole Vajrayana thing and I heard that demon worship and guru devotion stuff bothers the Buddhists in other traditional schools. Tibetan Buddhists have an entire Tantric set of beliefs and traditions that appear nowhere in the sutras passed down to other schools. Lots of monks from other traditions complained about that.

So let's find something more traditional. How about ancient China? Oh, here we have Northern and Southern Chan. These two schools of Buddhism believe and practice differently, though. They spend a lot of time yelling at each other over the role of meditation and which one has the real Dharma lineage. Lots of monks complaining about how the other one ignores important elements in the Dharma.

And Japanese Zen, why that's way too modern. It's only been around for 600 years or so. That's the modern world for you, rejecting ritual and unquestioned belief in what the sutras say for a practice that tells you to sit down, shut up, and instead of debating what the ancient monks believed, discover your own Buddha Nature. Lots of other monks at the time complained about it, too.

Yep, none of that modern stuff for me. I'm going to be a Buddhist the way it was meant to be. I'm going to put on a robe, grab a begging bowl, leave the wife and family and head out for a life of wandering from town to town, the way Buddha and his disciples did it. Near as I can see, there ain't anything in the world but modern Buddhism, no matter how much tradition they claim to own. Funny that, finding nothing but modern Buddhism in a modern world. You'd almost think that's the way the Dharma and world works.

personOneLifeFormMaryAnne
    fivebells said:

Who cares? We sit the same way. We do the same practices. We get the same results.

Holding Wrong views is an obstruction to accomplishment.
  • caz said:

fivebells said:

Believing the views one holds are the only right views is a bigger obstruction.

Cinorjer said:

caz said:

fivebells said:

Buddha spoke of Wrong views :)
    person said:

I also wonder if modern life doesn't touch Buddhism, can Buddhism touch modern life?

I rethought my analogy. Light can touch something without its source being touched. But also light will shine through colored glass, filters, lots of things and still light up an object. I guess I think the Dharma is the same way.

All this panic about "Modern Buddhism" is just old established religion protecting their dogma, or getting scared the new guy might take some of their followers.

That seems like a very simplistic view to me, not unlike saying that all reformers and modernisers are weak-minded cherry-pickers. ;)
    I think that most traditionalists are well-intentioned, they want to preserve something precious for future generations and they fear that the baby will be thrown out with the bathwater. Whereas reformers welcome change and want something that is more relevant to the times.
    vinlyn
    edited November 2012
    Sile:
    I wonder whether the climate of the past ten years presents any more challenges for Buddhism than the 100 years before that, or the 1000 years before that...
    I think we agree, the answer is pretty much no. The Buddha had to deal with the materialists of his day who scouted rebirth and karma. I think materialism is a phase human culture, as far as philosophy is concerned, goes through. It just doesn't belong in Buddhism.
  • We sit the same way. We do the same practices. We get the same results.
    Exactly! Whether you believe in karma, rebirth, devas, etc... or if you are a hardcore skeptic... the results are the same if you just follow the path.

I would argue that modern forms of Western Buddhist meditation such as sitting on a zafu has nothing to do with the Buddha's meditation (dhyâna) by which he awakened. If anything modern meditation only produces a placebo effect.

music said:

There are buddhist principles, such as karma and rebirth, which go against science, which have no empirical evidence. We reject them. ...

Who is "we"?

Sile
    ourself said:

There is no reason to cling to outdated dogma.

And I see this as the constant battle between science and religion.

No, I've stated that incorrectly.

I should have said between some scientists and religion.

edited November 2012
    Cinorjer:
    Yep, none of that modern stuff for me. I'm going to be a Buddhist the way it was meant to be. I'm going to put on a robe, grab a begging bowl, leave the wife and family and head out for a life of wandering from town to town, the way Buddha and his disciples did it. Near as I can see, there ain't anything in the world but modern Buddhism, no matter how much tradition they claim to own. Funny that, finding nothing but modern Buddhism in a modern world. You'd almost think that's the way the Dharma and world works.
    You may have missed the implications of what modernity means for Buddhism which I would argue is more of a philosophical position in the example of nihilism. Here is the definition that I earlier provided:
    I think we can all distinguish between a culture's adaptation to the principles of Buddhism in the example of Vajrayana, and changing Buddhism's fundamental teaching which modernity is in favor of when, for example, Buddhism rubs against materialism.
    Cinorjer said:

caz said:

fivebells said:

Tru dat.

• What I see from your quote from Fredric Jameson is a straw argument. In fact one of the central observations of skeptical thought is that people have not changed and neither have societies or reality, not where it counts. There have always been people who argue for the old ways and see any change as curruption. There are also people who reject tradition entirely and see nothing of value to be found in the past. That was true during Buddha's time, true today.

Also, materialism is not the defining belief of today's world. Quite the opposite. We are simply not a materialistic society, a society that believes all that exists is the physical universe of matter and energy. I am not a materialist. I believe all that can be proven to exist is matter and energy, because that's what the universe is made of.

edited November 2012
    Cinorjer:
    There are also people who reject tradition entirely and see nothing of value to be found in the past. That was true during Buddha's time, true today.
    For modernity, the old and tradition have to be present. The reason for this is that modernity is a form of iconoclasm; not genuine reformation. One example might be Stephen Batchelor's Buddhism sans beliefs. Another example of iconoclasm would be ignoring, altogether, the mystical side of Buddhism and putting in its stead, self-help psychology. This, as I see it, goes with Jameson's: we want to 'make it new,' get rid of those old objects, values, mentalities, and ways of doing things.
    Again the obsession with Stephen Batchelor.
  • Way back when I first wandered onto the internet the complaint was about "Pop Zen" or people who embraced Zen without doing the twelve hour a day Zazen meditation discipline.
  • caz said:

Absolutely, but as they relate to practice, right and wrong view have nothing to do with karma and rebirth in the cosmological sense Songhill means here. All practice relates to the experience of here and now.
    seeker242
    fivebells said:

caz said:

Absolutely, but as they relate to practice, right and wrong view have nothing to do with karma and rebirth in the cosmological sense Songhill means here. All practice relates to the experience of here and now.
    Not so for example a wrong view is Nihilism and yet when I sit down to meditate and a person who holds the wrong view of Nihilism we would do it in the same way but because of said wrong views they create an obstruction, Particularly if meditating upon more profound subjects like emptiness.

In the same way Karma and Rebirth are Interlinked which is why if people reject them as instead of having an open mind they obstruct their own practice and hence the results of such.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    One stands to lose just as much by rejecting teachings outright as by embracing them outright.

Allegedly freaked out by Asian imagery, we end up fleeing a perfectly decent and perhaps vital teaching. Who's to say our distaste for someone else's culture is actually more significant than the information it contains?

The problem I see with attempts toward secular Buddhism is that they often...aren't. Ripping down the apparently offensive thangkas without really analyzing their purpose and without seeking a genuine, secular substitute doesn't strike me as wise. I mean, if you want to, go for it, but just don't pressure others to if they don't share your feeling.

If someone suggests that perhaps the thangka represents some valid basis for the practicing mind, one is often accused of "clinging to old theocracy" or some such politically-stained nonsense. When it comes to my spiritual practice I really don't give a hoot about Tibet's political past, real or imagined - I do give a hoot about 2500 years of trial and error. Just as I wouldn't throw out Tibetan (or Sri Lankan or Cambodian or Japanese) medicine simply because it's in an Asian (created during the dark ages!!) container, I wouldn't rush to throw out traditional practices until they can be better analyzed and perhaps adapted in a gradual and careful way, with decades if not centuries of study as to what their purpose is. If someone doesn't feel like doing that, no problem - it's just that I don't expect to get flak for wanting to take that careful path.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in my opinion with looking at the idea of Westernizing Buddhism in a genuine way; I just weary of all the anti-cultural invective, as if culture itself is somehow poisonous. As Buddhists aren't we a little more adept at seeing past labels than that? Mightn't it be true that Asian imagery is really no big deal, certainly no bigger deal than the horrific images splashed across our TV sets every day?

There are almost no, if any, Indian teachers left in Tibet, and someday there will probably be no more Tibetan teachers left in the West. Then everyone can breathe a sigh of relief that they and their teachers have the same melanin levels, or something. Until then we are completely fortunate these teachers have brought Buddhism to the West in variously colored waves over the past half century.

personlobster
  • Thing is, I do understand the concerns of people who complain that people seem to want to turn Buddhism into something it is not. I somehow end up on the skeptical team in these debates, but that doesn't mean my practice has anything to do with such interesting sidelines.

Buddhism to me remains a religion, not a philosophy or psychology or 8-step self-help program. Being a religion means the the goal is a transforming experience, a way of looking at yourself and the world that becomes part of everything you do. The power of a religion comes from a paradox wrapped in a mystery. A religion is written in the language of ritual and belief. In this way, Buddhism becomes something profound that gives meaning to our lives.

None of this can be found in debates about no-self versus reincarnation, of what beliefs are important or not. To me, it's just an interesting way to explore a fascinating religion.
  • caz said:

fivebells said:

All practice relates to the experience of here and now.

Not so for example a wrong view is Nihilism and yet when I sit down to meditate and a person who holds the wrong view of Nihilism we would do it in the same way but because of said wrong views they create an obstruction, Particularly if meditating upon more profound subjects like emptiness.

In the same way Karma and Rebirth are Interlinked which is why if people reject them as instead of having an open mind they obstruct their own practice and hence the results of such.
    If you sit down to meditate holding to any view -- positive or negative -- about post-mortem rebirth or karmic influence across lives, what you call "Nihilism," or anything else, that is already a serious obstruction. So where's the problem?
  • Remember that no skhanda is reborn.

Science does not know how to formulate a question or hypothesis relevant to Buddhism. Unless science can form a question there can not be any gathering of evidence.

There probably is some effort by science, but I feel with the three marks etc you cannot find an experiment that can ascertain the true nature of the mind.

I'll make an analogy. A computer can beat Gary Casparov in chess, but it scarcely can move the chess piece which a 3 year old can do. Much like a computer is disadvantaged in motion and balance so to science cannot set up tests of karma/rebirth.

To further what I said above and restate, I am saying that we don't know what is reborn. We don't know. Because it is not a skhanda. Whatever is reborn cannot be a skhanda.

So not having a question to ask, it is clear that rebirth cannot be refuted with the means we have today.

---------

Traditionally in Tibetan Buddhism there are three motivations to practice

1. To be happy in this life
    2. To escape karma and become a non-returner
    3. To become a Buddha and lead all beings to happiness in and out of the world, beings inumerable, beyond perception, or appearance even.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2012
    music said:

Just because something does not have empirical evidence, does not mean it goes against science. There were plenty of things in the past that didn't have empirical evidence up to a point. If they all were rejected just because of that, science may have never discoverd they were actually true. The first guy that said " germs cause disease" was laughed at because he didn't have empirical evidence. People who didn't deny it, are the ones who made the scientific breakthroughs. Not denying things, just because they don't have evidence, is precisely how science advances.
    Patrperson
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Songhill said:

Ourself:

I said "What has been removed from Buddhism (e.g, karma and rebirth)." I never used the word "dismisses." If something has been removed, it is not there to read. Right? So you can thumb through many Buddhist books and not find a serious unpacking of rebirth or karma

I don't find this to be true at all. I've never run into a book on Buddhism that didn't discuss karma and rebirth, until just recently: Stephen Batchelor's books. And what does "a serious unpacking" mean? I still don't know who these mysterious "friars of Buddhism" are. I've been to a number of sanghas in several states, and I've never seen anything like this "modern Buddhism" the OP describes. I can't help but conclude that the OP is tuned into the wrong channel. Is the OP talking about real life experience in Buddhist sanghas, or about a very narrowly selected group of books that reinterpret Buddhism in a secular vein? Those probably represent about 2% of the all the books available and ever published on Buddhism.

:confused: