Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it weird that...

After years of identifying as a Buddhist, I'm going for refuge vows at the end of the month. I am feeling pretty good about it, but something just crossed my mind...

I'm taking my vows in a Tibetan tradition and will be given a Tibetan dharma name, so... I will be a African American with a Tibetan dharma name that will be academically studying Japanese Buddhism. lol Does that sound funny to anyone else?
riverflowInvincible_summerlobsterMaryAnneCorychelaSabbyBrianStraight_ManBeyondPrairThailandTomLucy_BegoodDaltheJigsawfederica

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Sounds pretty awesome! :thumbsup:
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    It sounds so appropriate for our era. Especially since I am reading about it on the internet: the official melting pot of cultural transendence. :) :om: :thumbsup: :clap: :bowdown: :ninja: :hiding:
  • I like the mild irony.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Why are you studying Japanese Buddhism academically? Does your school not offer Tibetan Buddhism courses?
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2013
    We need to widen our respective confinements.
    I am African by DNA, Crustacean by genus, Christian by birth, European by location etc etc.

We are numerous persona but the same in essential essence. Good luck with your vows, are you adopting a lama?
    TakuanchelaSabbyVastmind
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Dakini said:

Why are you studying Japanese Buddhism academically? Does your school not offer Tibetan Buddhism courses?

No, my school doesn't offer courses in Tibetan Buddhism. It only offers Buddhism courses through the Japanese studies department. There used to be a course on Indian Buddhism, which included the transmission of Dharma to Tibet, but it is no longer offered.

• Takuan said:

After years of identifying as a Buddhist, I'm going for refuge vows at the end of the month. I am feeling pretty good about it, but something just crossed my mind...

I'm taking my vows in a Tibetan tradition and will be given a Tibetan dharma name, so... I will be a African American with a Tibetan dharma name that will be academically studying Japanese Buddhism. lol Does that sound funny to anyone else?

If you think it sounds funny, then it is funny.
  • chelachela Veteran
    I think your perspectives, knowledge, and practice come together to give you a deeper sense of what it means to be human than many of us will ever hope to have.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    So what name were you given, if you don't mind sharing? Congrats!
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I'll pm it to you, @karasti and thank you!
  • congrats.
    Hope you don't get a identity crisis :)
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

congrats.
    Hope you don't get a identity crisis :)

lol thanks!
  • Congratulations, @Takuan ! :rockon:
  • Meh were all humans.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    blu3ree said:

Meh were all humans.

@blu3ree