Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would we exist if our parents didn't?

Does this even make sense?

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Define 'we'! :p

Or rather, what the 'I' that is that exists.
    seeker242
  • Inference causality = no

Experiential data = yes

Prajna wisdom = exist does not apply, but neither does non-existence.

Philosopher's opinion = The question posits a world view and also linear time-space continuity.

Dependent Origination = no because all present effects are arisen due to previous causes/conditions.

Dependent Origination in Dogen's expression = firewood does not turn into ash. firewood abides as itself as the conclusion of all causes/conditions coming together. It is disjointed from ashes. Through memory and thought we chain moments together to create the illusion of linear continuity. Actually it is always one arising and since it is one arising that only self-references there is no "arising". This is the realization of no birth and no death, thus birth, thus death.

<3
    DandelionInvincible_summerriverflow
  • I mean this life. Would we have been born as humans anyway if our parents hadn't? Would we simply have another parents?
    blu3ree
  • Do we only exist in dependence of the existence of our parents, then?
  • Not "only".

Actually everything past, present and future is the cause/condition for our current "existence".

A question I always ask. Causality can be looked at in a narrow way. For instance how many people had to have sex for this genetic body-form to be here now?

And then we can broaden it up more. How many stars had to be made? What if someone decided not to sleep?

Would I be here?

Of course this is all inference, intellectual fluff.

But your life as the infinite manifesting in this very instant is in fact an experiential reality that we don't even have to manufacture.

Thus the zen master says his gift and power is to eat food and gain energy to speak the dharma.
    Dandelionriverflow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Hard question to answer, and totally depends how you see the question. I personally believe "we" choose to be born, and when and to whom. Obviously that isn't necessarily a Buddhist belief, it is just what makes sense to me so I have stuck with it up to this point. That may change eventually. So, would "I" still be here? I don't know, I wouldn't be the same person I am now, clearly, as genetics and environment play a part in all that. Would my current consciousness still be on earth? Probably but I really have no idea.
    Sabby
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think a belief in past lives and karma would mean that, yes, we would still exist and simply have had different parents. So the unanswered question really is whether multiple lives is real or not.

Even so though I suppose our current lives would have taken a different course with different parents so we wouldn't be exactly the same person if we had different parents.
  • From the perspective of rebirth if your parents had not conceived you then you would have gone somewhere else in the multi-verse. At the same time it's a game of what ifs. Your parents did conceive you. And that is the way of the universe.
    Dandelion
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Or, alternatively, would we exist if our parents did?
    riverflowSabby
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Here's a way cool infographic showing how stupendously unlikely it is that you were born at all.
    Click through here to a bigger version, so you can read the tiny writing. http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/what-are-the-odds_50290d9b95578.png

Invincible_summerriverflow
  • @James, and then the odds of a universe being able to support life and indeed doing that. All the protozoa or whatever that evolved just right towards the track of modern matn.
  • It's also kinda illusory. If you rolled dice for two hours 7 days a week for 20 years you would have quite a string of odds that you get the same dice rolls by chance, the whole string.
    BhanteLucky
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Here's a way cool infographic showing how stupendously unlikely it is that you were born at all.

It is a very cool link.

Rather than being universally stupendously unlikely, it demonstrates how narrow our perception is - the odds presented are nowhere near zero, as the googolplex or Graham's number show.

Are we a miracle? I suppose - like every other miracle.
  • Would we exist if our parents didn't?

Certainly the body wouldn't but "you" are not the body. "You" may claim that those are "my" arms, legs, head etc. but the arms, legs, head are not "you"! Look all you want but you will not find yourself - the closest you get is "my body", "my feelings" and "my mind".
    DandelionSabby
  • Would we exist if our parents didn't?

As I see it; No.
    This particular, unique "you" that you are, right here, right now, in this lifetime, would not be the same, particular unique "you" if born to different parents, in a different place and time.

Even with the partial infusion of past lives (if any) and/or other continuous consciousness factors, who "you" are is still a direct result of DNA, environment and experiences melded into the human being that you are now, today, this minute.

So, Different parents = different DNA, environment, experiences and influences making "you" a whole different person than this 'you' here and now.
    lobsterDandelion
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2013

Does this even make sense?

Of course not! That kind of question would only make sense to a Buddhist!

O, wait, this is a website chiefly for those interested in Buddhism. :nyah:

Dandelion
    edited March 2013

I think this is a really great question, and I must say it’s one I don’t believe I’ve ever entertained before. If you believe in samsara (an endless cycle of rebirth) you might have to consider answering this question in the affirmative. It’s not a soul that is reincarnated in Buddhist teaching, but something more like samskaras —entanglements of vortexes of energy and the like. Therefore, genes and other stuff from the grosser physical realm are not really vehicles for rebirth. If you’re gonna be reborn endlessly until your enlightenment or liberation, then you’re just gonna be reborn willy-nilly, come hell or high water. In that sense your earthly parents would be more like the conveyor belt than the machine that does the manufacturing. I think Gibran said something touching on this about children in The Prophet:

They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you...

(That's because they belong to eternity.)

@lotuspadma, what a terrific question! If it was really out in left field I very much doubt it would have occurred to you to ask it. Thank You! I mean, intellectually it's a good thing to meditate on and might help with some emotional transcendence to family at times when it's needed.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Yes you would certainly exist, in much the same way as your nonexistent parents. Not much of an existence.

What you mean is does the unique persona reincarnate?
    As there is no unique persona, that is delusion dependent on circumstantial arisings, including parents - No.
    DandelionSabby
    lobster said:

What you mean is does the unique persona reincarnate?
    As there is no unique persona, that is delusion dependent on circumstantial arisings, including parents - No.

??????? :scratch:
    edited March 2013
    I guess everything's questionable. But what my question-marks and puzzled "he scratches head" were intended to mean was "what R U talking about?"

It seemed to me that you wondered whether the OP was beating around the bush about asking whether "the unique persona reincarnates," when that was nowhere indicated, as far as I could tell. In still more words, you are confusing me and shame on you! :lol:
    Do we only exist in dependence of the existence of our parents, then?
    As has been said there are a variety of conditions, of which parents are critical, that give rise to you. The sense of a 'unique you' can not be found without the conditions. For example your memories and dreams are unique. However those things have no essence, no 'youness'.

The sensing you, is the same as my sensing.
    The same as everyone's. It is empty.
    It is only the association with parents, upbringing and other individual factors, that creates the idea of a separate unique person.

That unique person is the 'delusion' of persona attachment.
    In the process of meditation we become aware of this emptyness of individuality.
    That does not make us 'Buddha Borg', rather it makes aware of the nature of parents, ourselves, the confused and the unconfusing . . .

:wave:
    Vastmind
    You keep talking about separate and unique
    And I still don't see your point.
  • Does this even make sense?

This look like the question of which come first - the egg or the chicken? Don't worry or your head will ache. The point is, we are already here! Make hay while the sun shine. Walk the right path.
    edited March 2013
    I know that Shakyamuni discouraged metaphysical questions, but perhaps one salient reason was because of the controversial nature of most such questions??? I don't however think that this question is potent enough to divide a loving household.

The question for me approaches life in a uniquely Buddhist way and is very interesting. Some people out there in the world say that "souls," if in time they are reborn into other bodies, aspire to reincarnate along with another "soul" or perhaps multiple "souls" (a kind of helper-soulmate theory). I do not think many of us from larger families think, "we've all done this together before," though. But, arguably, there might be times when a "soul," in order to set itself free, might need to be freed from all those former influences for at least one lifetime or so. (I am putting the word soul within quotes for the sake of setting if off, d/t the fact that there is no Buddhist "soul," but other traditions do think in such terms.)

Just because there is a physical world, whose rules we know in crude outline form pretty well, that doesn't mean that there also exists a strict lock between the physical and spiritual worlds, for of the latter we know so very little.

As Buddhists, we just don't know how, when, or why these samskaras/vortexes/entanglements arise and to what extent they define who we really are . But we are not are bodies. Our bodies are merely garments which in time will wear out, disintegrate, and/or die.

• What if we have it all backwards? Maybe for everything to have happened before us, we need to be here now.
    lobsterSabby
  • karasti said:

Hard question to answer, and totally depends how you see the question. I personally believe "we" choose to be born, and when and to whom. Obviously that isn't necessarily a Buddhist belief, it is just what makes sense to me so I have stuck with it up to this point. That may change eventually. So, would "I" still be here? I don't know, I wouldn't be the same person I am now, clearly, as genetics and environment play a part in all that. Would my current consciousness still be on earth? Probably but I really have no idea.

Interesting view point I haven't heard before, not saying it's not right, however I highly doubt I chose to be born to two high schoolers without jobs, without love, without passion, without aspirations, without the ability to care, just two unsuccessful, useless people quite frankly.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    JosephW said:

Interesting view point I haven't heard before, not saying it's not right, however I highly doubt I chose to be born to two high schoolers without jobs, without love, without passion, without aspirations, without the ability to care, just two unsuccessful, useless people quite frankly.

Alan Watts gives an entertaining slant on this; I wish I knew what talk it was. But he says something like, "Imagine we could choose any life we wanted and keep on choosing. At first we'd indulge ourself and have some really wild fun lives; but eventually that would get boring; and there'd come a point when we'd say, 'Come on, surprise me!'"

And this is the life we're surprised with.

I think in another that he calls himself "That dirty glint that was in his father's eye when he saw his mother naked". I think that that points towards responsibility as in not only should we take responsibility for our actions and feelings, but also for our very being. It's an empowering stance, rather than a weak 'powerless' stance.

And @Joseph, I have no idea what your parents are like, other than what you've written, but this is a Buddhist forum and Buddhism seems to be all about transforming negatives into positives. If you've had a tough upbringing, you've probably learnt much more about life than someone born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

MaryAnne

• @JosephW,

Some of the most difficult people and undesirable circumstances are our best teachers and learning experiences**

** Paraphrased from - I believe- the DL?