Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shakuhachi flute

riverflowriverflow Veteran
edited April 2013 in Arts & Writings
This is a wee video of a short piece for shakuhachi I put together. The piece was originally written in 2000 when I first discovered the instrument.

I've owned a few different one's in the past, but this simple one made by Tai Hei I like best now, which is one of the less expensive meditation models. It is really the only instrument I still play these days...

I hope you enjoy...

TheEccentrichowInvincible_summerStraight_ManlobsterpersonVastmindpommesetorangespaigezombiegirlLucy_BegoodToshMaryAnneYaskan

Comments

• Beautiful. The last time I tried, could not even get a note . . . hope to hear more . . .
    :bowdown:
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    :clap:
  • Thank you! I have only recently gotten back to playing after quite some time. But I won't wear a basket on my head though like the komuso Buddhists!

It is a great meditative instrument, even just to improvise a few notes on... The trick is not to blow into it, but to breathe into the instrument.

I have a very peculiar take on John Coltrane's ballad, "Naima" but I need to practice that one a lot more first!

www.shakuhachi.com has some relatively inexpensive ones under the "meditation flute" section.
    Invincible_summer
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    That's the instrument that David Carradine plays in Kill Bill. I always wondered what that was! Awesome. Is it hard to play?
    riverflow
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Most people, if they have a problem with the shak, its the getting the embouchure right--how to shape the mouth just right.

Have you ever blown on something like the edge of a coke bottle to get a flute-like sound? It is sort of like that, but it also isn't! You have shape your mouth like a tight smile with just a small space where the air can escape. Rather than blowing, you breathe into it. Once you get some practice with it, you can get some long expansive notes out of it. The flute is held at about a 45 degree angle. Much of the flute rests on the chin, with only the small edge near the lips.

There are only five holes-- the first few lowest notes are pretty intuitive to figure out. Getting the higher notes is a bit tricky. The most beautiful thing about the instrument is that every note can be shaped to chave its own characteristic, and this can all be improvised. Half and quarter holes can be made for other notes, or you can remove or add the finger gradually to get some bending tones. The angle of the head can also effect the pitch and tonal colour. But I find all this to be intuitive, once you get used to it.

I have started doing what I did a couple years ago, using the shak for meditation.
    I play only the lowest note for long periods of time--almost like a mantra!--is great as a meditative technique, just concentrating on that one sound, noticing the fluctuations (no two "same" notes are even identical, and even within one long tone, there are small changes that occur, so "one sound" isn't even "one" sound at all, but a continual flow of sound that can't be numbered!

I'm self-taught, and I am certain I am playing "wrong" in that respect. But I don't think it is hard to play--the main thing is breathing into the flute, not blowing, and keeping that smile-like shape to the lips. Everything else is easy to learn.

1.8" is the standard size, but I prefer the deeper-toned ones. I currently own three from Tai Hei, but I've had several others in the past that were less expensive. Once someone made me one out of PVC pipe!

There is a dome at the Civil War Memorial Park in Vicksburg, Mississippi I used to go to years ago and the acoustics were amazing. Used to love playing there and it was a weird experience when I couldn't tell when I had stopped playing--the reverb was that powerful there. I used to take it with me out in the wooded area I once lived in and play with the wind in the trees around me. It a very calming instrument to play.

Oh, look:

A beginner model shakuhachi on Amazon for $18.63

The cheapest I bought has been $50, but I don't think you could go wrong getting this and trying it @zombiegirl -- or anyone. I can always help (as much as possible via Skype) to provide tips. It isn't hard. Worst-case scenario, if you can't get a sound of it, it would make nice decor.

OK, so that's my hard-sell for the instrument!
    zombiegirlInvincible_summerlobster
  • Beautiful!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I appreciate all of your advice! I admit... your video impressed me so much, I actually went and bid on one on ebay already, haha. We'll see if I get it ;)
    I just really love the sound of it and I think I have an penchant for odd instruments. I currently play ukulele but I also have a concertina I wish I could play better, lol. I honestly haven't played any wind instruments since Jr. High band (clarinet), so it will be interesting if I get it... Well, I do own an ocarina somewhere... hm.

For the record, the sound is similar but I found out that isn't the instrument from Kill Bill. David's flute is apparently something of his own design (?) that is longer and rests on his shoulder. It's cool, but after some research, I definitely prefer the shakuhachi sound. (Here's the scene, btw.)

This is the one I bid on.

Nobody else bid on it! You'll break my heart, haha.
    riverflow
  • @zombiegirl - that is made of the same bamboo and looks well made. I don't think its one of Monty Levinson's but it looks almost identical to the one I have in the video.

I hope you are able to get the on on ebay. If you have any difficulties with the sound, let me know and I'll try to do my best to help or give tips. I played clarinet too ages ago (I also tried oboe in college--but I do not have the lips of steel that it required!)

I have no idea what that long flute in the Kill Bill clip is!

And as far as other unusual instruments go... HAVE FUN HERE!
    Invincible_summer
    Oh great... more temptation! I already see three things on the front page that interest me, haha. Thanks though. :)

Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the Chinese style ones? The main difference I can see is that the mouth piece is different and the top isn't completely open... but they are cheaper.
  • I have been really interested in the xiao, which I understand is a sort of predecessor of the shakuhachi. I've never actually played one though... yet!
    RE: David Carradine's flute. According to this, David built it himself.

Here's a guy playing one:

I think the sound of the shakuhachi is a little smoother though.

As a side note, my fiance is already hoping I loose the auction! Lol... poor girl. I don't think she can hate it more than my concertina though.
    riverflowVastmindMaryAnne
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    This is really inspiring... I've been wanting to get a relatively small instrument that doesn't require amplification or has a multitude of strings to tune/break/etc. This would fit the bill. Now to get a job so i can buy one!

Or maybe the erhu... damn. That site you linked to with all the ethnic instruments will be my downfall, @riverflow!
    riverflowzombiegirl
  • @zombiegirl (and also @lobster if you still have a shakuhachi handy) - here's a brief video that I hope will help in getting a sound of the shak:

Invincible_summerzombiegirl