Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Where's Dad?" "Meditating." "oh......"

I see my dharma-practice as a life-encompassing thing. My meditation practice (part of my larger dharma-practice) is stuttering along, though. I can't seem to get passed that I feel I'm needed to be present in the evenings for my family. My son (16 years old) seems high-maintenance recently (well, last 3 or so months). It feels selfish to me to go off for even just hour to meditate.

I've considered early mornings. I'm dubious about that... I fear I may struggle to stay awake!

Any thoughts on that struggle within me? Thank you, friends.

Comments

• DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Can I be a little blunt?

I don't think it's selfish. Your practice is your practice and as long as you are there for your family, then what does it matter at what time you meditate? Do you still love and care for them? Do you still spend time with them and provide? Then meditating for one hour in the evening is not a huge deal.

As for your son, maybe he just doesn't understand Buddhism or why it is important to you? This could be a good opportunity to teach him about your practice and, who knows, maybe he will eventually want to take up meditation?
    nenkohai
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I have come to think that it's not the time you spend with your kid that is important, but how fully present you can be with them when you are together. If your meditation allows you to offer that gift to your son, then that is the exact opposite of selfish in my world. Plus.. you offer an example of a practise as an alternative to a worldly mind.

DaftChrispersonInvincible_summernenkohai

• @nenkohai

Go with what your feelings are telling you is more important.
    If right now, at this point in time, you feel that being with your family and interacting with your son (who is at a precarious age) is more important than scratching out 45 minutes of half-hearted, distracted or hesitant meditation... then that's the way to go.

Living the Dharma is just that... Living the Dharma.
    Incorporating the path into every aspect of your life and relationships with others.

Meditation will always be at your beck and call whenever you simply sit and do it; whether that means tomorrow, next week, next month or a year from now.
    Your family, on the other hand, will not always be there as they are now, nor need you as they do now.
    You have your whole life ahead of you for meditation, reflection and spiritual indulgences. (Yes, IMO, when mediation becomes something one clings to above all else, it is an indulgence).
    You don't have your whole life ahead of you to experience your spouse, or your children and their need for you as a parent. They grow up (and away) all too soon. Family/Kids is a 'now' thing.... YMMV. :)

@DaftChris said: This could be a good opportunity to teach him about your practice and, who knows, maybe he will eventually want to take up meditation?

I also totally agree with that. It's another way to incorporate Buddhism into the relationship with your son. Who knows- he might go for it!
    nenkohai
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I can relate. I have a 16 year old, and while it might not seem like a big deal to take an hour to yourself in the evening, mine is hardly home so I feel bad taking the time to do meditation in the evening when I could be spending time with him. I don't see him all day. He's in sports so he comes home at 5:30, eats dinner, and is gone at least 4 days a week after dinner for other activities. So, the few days he is home, I like to spend time with him, especially because college is closing in quickly and then he'll be gone (he is likely to go out of state).

I meditate in the morning, and it works really well. I don't work, so I have a flexible schedule but I am home with a 4 year old and an obnoxious large dog, so there's that, lol. I don't do well to meditate when I get up really early either. So, I get the older kids and my husband out the door, and then I meditate before I get the younger one up and make breakfast. It works out well.

Perhaps you can split it up, and do some evenings and some mornings, or do half hour in the morning and half hour in the evening?

It is important to care for yourself. Your children are better off if you do. When you take care of yourself, you are better able to take care of them, and they see that time for you is important, too. If you have to do it at night, can you do it later, after he goes to bed or something?

If he is home all evening every evening for several hours, then I see no reason why you cannot take that time for yourself. It is important. But if he is home little like my teenager, then it's a different story and you might need to experiment with other times and situations that might work better.

Has your son said anything to you about it? Or are you assuming it is a problem when it might very well not be? If you did not meditate, what would you do instead? If it would involve sitting and talking or doing things with him that is different than if you would give up your meditation time for him to sit on the chair with earbuds in and a laptop on his lap, lol.
    nenkohai
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its not Selfish to meditate Simply because it is for the benefit of others. At 16 he should be less dependent so don't worry.
    nenkohaiTheEccentric
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    My Zen teacher -- a Japanese man -- said to me twice (which is a little like a Marine Corps drill sergeant screaming in your ear): "Take care of your family." Whether in the everyday sense or in the wispy metaphorical sense, I think he was right on the money.

In Zen Buddhism, there was once a teacher (sorry, don't remember who) who asked, "When has Zen ever had anything to do with sitting on a cushion?" This is not just some cutesy-wootsey spiritual conundrum. If you think there is an etched divide between spiritual endeavor and 'other' stuff, well, it's time to reconsider.
    nenkohaiMaryAnnelobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Is there a reason you require an hour for meditation? 20 minutes of steady concentration twice/day is quite adequate, usually. If anyone can even achieve that. If you enjoy it and want to do an hour, you could reserve that for weekends.

Sometimes compromise is the way to go. :)
    nenkohaikarastiMaryAnne
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If meditation can bring you more peace of mind and an ability to act more skillfully towards your family then it can be very unselfish and helpful for everyone you interact with.

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche teaches that doing many 3 minute meditations spread throughout the day can be more effective for people with busy lives than a longer session once a day. Maybe you could just try stepping away for a few minutes every hour or two for some mini sessions.
    nenkohailobster
  • For some reason (which may not be entirely apparent here), I am wearing these emotions (about this situation) on my sleeve. Each one of you has said something to me which I can use. Thank you, all!! @Daft Chris, you hit the nail squarely on the head - sharing a more indepth of the "why" of my practice could be huge to my son.

Thank you
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    At night, I set my alarm clock and put it on my tracksuit (my lounging about the house clothes) on the far side of the bedroom. In the morning, when it goes off, it forces me to get out of bed to turn the alarm off. I then pull on my tracksuit. I go and brush my teeth - it wakes me up - and I meditate; mostly.

I've been known to be naughty and get back into bed, but not usually, because Mrs Tosh then kicks off that I've woken her and didn't go meditate; so that's what I normally do.

Families eh?

But I spend two evenings a week doing A.A. stuff, and one morning on a weekend meeting up with at least one sponsee (I call this my 'formal practising of compassion'), so I guess I really can't let my spiritual practise affect my family more than I do already.
    nenkohai
  • If he's 16 I can't imagine he's home a lot. Why not meditate when he's out? And maybe just for 15 minutes?
    nenkohai
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I don't mean to sound rude or to pry, but do you otherwise have a good relationship with your son? I ask because if your relationship w/ him is shaky, then maybe it would be better to meditate when he's not around or when he's busy.

But if you've got a pretty solid relationship and it just happens that he's a bit clingy lately, I personally think (speaking as someone without children) that this is a good opportunity for your son to learn patience for at least 20 mins! I'm pretty close to my parents, but even at 16 I wouldn't care too much if my parents weren't around to hang out or whatever.
    nenkohai
  • nenkohai said:

I see my dharma-practice as a life-encompassing thing. My meditation practice (part of my larger dharma-practice) is stuttering along, though. I can't seem to get passed that I feel I'm needed to be present in the evenings for my family. My son (16 years old) seems high-maintenance recently (well, last 3 or so months). It feels selfish to me to go off for even just hour to meditate.

I've considered early mornings. I'm dubious about that... I fear I may struggle to stay awake!

Any thoughts on that struggle within me? Thank you, friends.

I don't think you have to spend 24 hours with your son. Meditate when there is free time probably is the answer.
    nenkohai