Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Short Talk On Anger

What ways do you guys think anger can be used to help others?

Comments

• In my own view, lets say your angry that there are those without food, it makes you mad that others pass by a homeless man, You can give him something to eat. (as example)
    we can not save the world. And Anger in most cases can be harmful. But in some ways you can use that energy to help others
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Channel Anger and energise it to the good.

Do not focus Anger and energise it to the bad.....
    kashiInvincible_summerMigyurlobster
  • I disagree with him.

I don't think you can control anger, that's what makes it anger, you can't harness it because it's an emotive response that doesn't mix with logic or reasoning.

You can have a sense of injustice or disgust at a situation and those feelings can be used as motivation for change, but anger is uncontrolled, it's a rise in adrenaline at it's core which means you're response to getting angry will involved lashing out without thought. If you see a homeless man passed by it will be your sense of injustice that causes you to give him food, it is your anger that causes you to shout at and confront those passing by.
    SillyPuttyriverflowpersonkarmablues
  • The only thing i disagree with him on is "nothing thrown away"
    In brief, The Buddha gave numerous examples of things we should throw away such as wrong view.
    In terms of anger I think it depends on your actions...how you handle it and what you do with it.
    Personally Ive never shouted at a passer-by ignoring a homeless man. And rather or not the anger stems from injustice or not is irrelevant. Help...give..have compassion. Thats the important thing.
  • A few insightful passages from Seneca's "On Anger" (De Ira - from the nifty little Loeb edition, volume II of the "Moral Essays" IIRC):

"[T]he mind is not sequestered, keeping a watch for the passions as things external and apart, so that it can keep them from going farther than they ought. Rather, the mind itself turns into the passion: that is why it cannot summon back its useful, healthy vigor one it has been betrayed and weakened. Reason and passion, as I said, don’t have separate and distinct dwelling places but are the mind’s transformation to a better and worse condition."

"Let nothing be lawful to you while you are angry. Do you ask why? Because then you wish everything to be lawful."

"Reason grants both parties time for a hearing and then seeks an adjournment for its own sake, so that it has time to search out the truth. Anger is in a hurry. Reason wants its judgement to be fair; anger wants its judgement to appear fair. Reason keeps its eye solely on the matter under consideration; anger is moved by empty and irrelevant imaginings. Too nonchalant an expression, too loud a voice, too free a way of speaking, too refined a style of dress, advocacy that’s too insistent, popular support—all these rub anger the wrong way. It often condemns the defendant out of pique at his counsel; even if the truth is shoved in its face, it fancies and upholds error. It doesn’t want to be refuted: when it has made a bad beginning, it takes stubbornness to be more honourable than second thoughts."

"No one makes himself wait; yet the best cure for anger is waiting, to allow the first ardour to abate and to let the darkness that clouds the reason either subside or be less dense. Of the offences which were driving you headlong, some an hour will abate, to say nothing of a day, some will vanish altogether; thought the postponement sought shall accomplish nothing else, yet it will be evident that judgement now rules instead of anger. If ever you want to find out what a thing really is, entrust it to time; you can see nothing clearly in the midst of the billows."

"“Good men become angry when their friends and family are wronged.” When you plead your case this way Theophrastus, you try to discredit more robust teachings, offering claptrap to the spectators while ignoring the judge: because each and every one of them becomes angry when that sort of misfortune befalls his family and friends, you suppose that people will reckon that what they do ought to be done, since practically everyone reckons righteous the feeling he recognizes in himself. But they do the same thing if their hot bath is not properly prepared, if a glass gets broken, if their shoe is spattered with mud. It’s not a sense of devotion that stirs that kind of anger, it’s weakness—the sort proper to children, who weep just as much whether they’ve lost their parents or some hazelnuts."

"Now, what is more unworthy than having another man’s wickedness determine a wise man’s passion? …And yet if the wise man should always be angry at shameful behaviour and be riled and gloomy because of criminal behaviour, he must be the most troubled man in the world: he’ll pass his entire life in anger and grief."

"How much better it is to heal than to avenge an injury! Vengeance consumes much time, and it exposes the doer to many injuries while he smarts from one; our anger always lasts longer than the hurt. How much better it is to take the opposite course and not to match fault with fault."

"Anger in itself has nothing of the strong or the heroic, but shallow minds are affected by it."
    personInvincible_summermisecmisc1karmablues
  • I can vouch (from my own mistakes in the past) that what Seneca is useful to understand....
  • I recall the buddha turning maras flaming arrows into flowers.
    Migyur
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @riverflow Beautifully stated.

The only way I think anger could ever "help" someone is by teaching them what NOT to do and how NOT to react to situations. Although, there are some individuals who claim that high ranking teachers/gurus getting angry at someone helps to dispel their bad karma. I guess that would also include the story of Jesus and the 'Cleansing of the Temple.'

Also, anger is not the driving force behind giving a homeless person food. That's like saying I became angry at people who eat meat, so I became a vegan. No, I became vegan because I have compassion for the animals, just as someone who has compassion for a homeless person would give them food. My anger thinking that these animals are being mistreated did not do anything but cause me to think of angry things. Nothing productive happened by sitting there stewing over how much I disagreed with how factory farming employees tortured innocent sentient beings. It wasn't until I saw the situation through the eyes of compassion that I decided to take positive action by becoming a vegan.

So, no, anger does not lead to positive actions. Anger causes one to dwell on the negative instead of searching for positive solutions. It's when we let our anger subside and stop making it about me/myself/and I, that we start to head towards compassion and begin to start to think about how to care for others instead.

Also, on that note, even though I've been advised not to do this, I feel as if I have to at this point, since it's quite impossible not to eventually end up interacting with you on this forum in some capacity:

@Kashi, yes, I've received and read your PM's. All 5 of them (including the one you just sent me about 10 minutes ago), as well as the numerous @-mentions and threads started by you. I hope you will understand that I am not angry at you, I am not rejecting your apology, nor am I holding a grudge against you. I hope you can move on from this. It really wasn't a big deal. I've moved on from this like 24 hours ago-- I hope you can, too. I have no problem reading and responding to your posts, and I hope you will choose to do the same and keep the feeling here light and friendly. Thanks.

riverflowpersonInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • Also, anger is not the driving force behind giving a homeless person food.

Being a hardcore leftist on most issues, anger was something I struggled with, shaking my fist at the world, so to speak (being attached to the "ought" and resisting the "is" of things). It may seem empowering AT FIRST but this is self-deceptive. In the long run it can actually lead to disillusionment and a sense of futility.

I frequent political blogs less frequently than I did before, and I *try* not to get so worked up about injustices in the world. You can stand up for what is right without being attached to your expectations. Or, to put it differently, being compassionate is more important than my expectations of the outcome from that compassion.

SillyPuttyInvincible_summerkarmablueslobster
  • @SillyPutty
    well said, I agree, thats all I wanted, now moving on
    :thumbsup:
    SillyPutty
  • riverflow said:

It may seem empowering AT FIRST but this is self-deceptive. In the long run it can actually lead to disillusionment and a sense of futility.

Exactly! I have always been big on wanting to see 'justice' served. I used to get so riled up at the thought of 'innocent' people being victimized. However, it wasn't until I started to study Buddhism that I realized that what we see on the surface isn't always what is really going on. Sure, I can get mad that some man tortured and killed a 5 year old child. But when you see it from the eyes of Buddhism, the anger and judgements tend to disappear. I don't want to go into it-- perhaps it's better said in a separate thread as to the reasons why this happens for me-- but just wanted to say that it's like the ol' saying "violence begets more violence." Anger, to me, is a useless emotion to possess and acknowledge. And I'm not saying I don't get angry... I do! But I am saying that I'm learning how not to and to break those bad habits and knee-jerk reactions slowly but surely.
  • I stand by my ideas that anger can give rise to compassion. We might be buddhist, but we are also human being. Whats the point in being either
    A: an emotionless robot
    B: living in a delusional world where all things are bad except for some kind of bliss that is "only" wholesome if you practice buddhism?

No thanks.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    riverflow said:

Being angry is to throw a temper tantrum at worst, and at best it is to accomplish something that could be done more effectively *without* anger.

The fact that it exists in the first place suggest that this is not true.
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

I stand by my ideas that anger can give rise to compassion.

Anger may, at first, cause you to think about injustices and everything that is wrong with the world. But as it stands alone-- as its own separate entity-- anger is useless. Your original question was "can anger be used to help others?" No. It cannot. It only destroys, tears down, and hurts.

Think of it this way, back to my example of becoming a vegan. What if I stayed in that angry state? What if I hadn't taken the next logical step, which was compassionate thinking and feeling? What if I stayed in my angry state, and continued to eat at McDonald's, but ranted and raved on PETA's forums, complaining as the day is long about all of the torture and abuse that goes on in the meat and dairy industries? If I stayed only in that anger-- (and a lot of people do this in life regarding many situations, so it isn't a far-fetched example!)-- how is that helping anyone out? It isn't. It is only adding to the negativity of the very thing I am upset about. It is anger feeding on anger, with zero chance for growth, love, or for that matter, enlightenment.

And let's say I stayed angry, but I did become vegan and still ranted and raved on the PETA forums. Is anyone really going to want to listen to me? Is anyone really going to want to join in on my crusade to show this 'compassion' I'm supposedly spreading to others? Don't you think I'm going to give all vegans a bad name by the way I am acting? Isn't that going to be totally counterproductive to the very reason why I am angry in the first place? How can I really be compassionate as I say I am if anger is the impetus for this so-called message of "love" that I am trying to spread? In that instance, it is not only anger, but also ego, that I am exhibiting. Compassion is merely a pipe dream here, and when compassion is missing from the equation, eventually everything falls apart unless we change our thinking and perceptions of the situation into something more positive.

In short, anger inhibits all attempts at anything positive or productive. And if it doesn't at first, it eventually will if we keep giving it power and feeding into the negativity of it.
    riverflowpersonkarmablues
  • hmmm...interesting point. I shall meditate on this.
    SillyPutty
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited May 2013
    True, anger CHANNELED can give rise to compassion and compassion can then replace anger--each time it happens. Channeling, though, is a way of harmlessly sloughing off anger, to me.

Anger replaced with compassion, instead of angry compassion attempt, because the two fight each other is how I "think" of it--tried that a lot myself in past, found myself conflicted. As said before, Buddhism regards anger as a negative emotion, a poison that can eat away at one if not set aside or replaced with something better, so far as is understood here.

Compassion brings self-satusfaction and positive things and attitudes to the fore, to a non-attached to degree, some self-satisfaction is healthy. Lots, and attaching to it, has long-term negative consequences. Same thing with lots of conflict or lots of poison.
  • On a side note would anybody care to elaborate on my other comment "I recall the buddha turning maras flaming arrows into flowers."

Is there a sutta or sutra that actually explains this in great detail??
  • kashi said:

On a side note would anybody care to elaborate on my other comment "I recall the buddha turning maras flaming arrows into flowers."

Is there a sutta or sutra that actually explains this in great detail??

I dunno. Sounds like something out of The Care Bears to me. :D

kashi
  • @kashi - I don't think it is a choice between being emotionless (there are many more emotions besides anger) or keeping one's head in the sand -- this is a false dichotomy when there are other alternatives:

There are things in the world that need doing, and they can be done more effectively (i.e. skillfully) *without* anger rather than *with* it. You don't need to be angry to know that compassion is needed in the world. Anger is something added on which can quickly become detrimental, and overcoming the original compassionate intent (in terms of poltical action, many political movements have devolved precisely in this way).

I think it is better to be vigilant in making a stand but being mindful of the purpose of making that stand (MLK is a great example of this). You can make a stand without being angry. In terms of its effect, it can be harmful for all parties concerned, and as far as oneself goes, it is energy being expended in an inefficient way.

In understand where you're coming from, but I'm just relating my own experience, learning from my successes and my mistakes. It bears out what Buddhism says, and why anger is one of the three poisons in Buddhism.
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • edited May 2013
    Man i haven't seen the care bears since childhood. Lion hearts my fav (Im a leo)
    Sorry for the side track

kashi said:

I stand by my ideas that anger can give rise to compassion.

Anger may, at first, cause you to think about injustices and everything that is wrong with the world. But as it stands alone-- as its own separate entity-- anger is useless. Your original question was "can anger be used to help others?" No. It cannot. It only destroys, tears down, and hurts.

Think of it this way, back to my example of becoming a vegan. What if I stayed in that angry state? What if I hadn't taken the next logical step, which was compassionate thinking and feeling? What if I stayed in my angry state, and continued to eat at McDonald's, but ranted and raved on PETA's forums, complaining as the day is long about all of the torture and abuse that goes on in the meat and dairy industries? If I stayed only in that anger-- (and a lot of people do this in life regarding many situations, so it isn't a far-fetched example!)-- how is that helping anyone out? It isn't. It is only adding to the negativity of the very thing I am upset about. It is anger feeding on anger, with zero chance for growth, love, or for that matter, enlightenment.

And let's say I stayed angry, but I did become vegan and still ranted and raved on the PETA forums. Is anyone really going to want to listen to me? Is anyone really going to want to join in on my crusade to show this 'compassion' I'm supposedly spreading to others? Don't you think I'm going to give all vegans a bad name by the way I am acting? Isn't that going to be totally counterproductive to the very reason why I am angry in the first place? How can I really be compassionate as I say I am if anger is the impetus for this so-called message of "love" that I am trying to spread? In that instance, it is not only anger, but also ego, that I am exhibiting. Compassion is merely a pipe dream here, and when compassion is missing from the equation, eventually everything falls apart unless we change our thinking and perceptions of the situation into something more positive.

In short, anger inhibits all attempts at anything positive or productive. And if it doesn't at first, it eventually will if we keep giving it power and feeding into the negativity of it.
    The key phrase, that's repeated several times, seems to be "if I stayed in that angry state." Too much of anything can be a bad thing.
    Jeffrey
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

Man i haven't seen the care bears since childhood. Lion hearts my fav (Im a leo)
    Sorry for the side track

(It's your thread-- you can digress if ya really want to. ;) And I'm a leo, too. We're the best and not egotistical in the least, right? :D )

I actually have a Funshine Bear sitting right next to me. Love that bear. I actually used to carry her and a little crocheted snake (called Mr. Snakey) around with me everywhere I went as a child. Loved that snake, too. He had a top hat, googley eyes, and all that jazz. As a matter of fact, I gotta upload him. I have a picture of him I took a few years ago. He's too wonderful not to behold. Now if I could only remember where I put him...:

I even had a Catholic priest bless him when I was 3 years old. He looked at the snake and then at me and was like, "Uhhh... is your name Damien or something?" :D

Okay, sorry, back to anger. Grrrr! :rarr: :angry:
    Jeffrey
  • Nevermind said:

The key phrase, that's repeated several times, seems to be "if I stayed in that angry state." Too much of anything can be a bad thing.

But I don't think it's a matter of too much or too little anger. Even if it was too little anger, what good would it produce? Maybe I would stay angry for a short while, and then nothing would come of it-- I would no longer feel anger or feel compassion, but just feel indifference. That's just as bad.
    riverflow
  • We all have a little damien in us
    :rockon:
    I just had a great response in terms of the topic and now I forget...Mr snakey threw me off
  • Beautifully put once again, @riverflow!
  • Ill have to come back later to this.
    Im heading out for the day to get some much needed fresh air.
    Peace
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

I just had a great response in terms of the topic and now I forget...Mr snakey threw me off

He can be sneaky like that! :D

I have to go do stuff myself. I'm sure I'll return again later today! l8.

Nevermind said:

But I don't think it's a matter of too much or too little anger. Even if it was too little anger, what good would it produce? Maybe I would stay angry for a short while, and then nothing would come of it-- I would no longer feel anger or feel compassion, but just feel indifference. That's just as bad.
    You seemed to suggest yourself, though perhaps not intentionally, that anger leads to action.
  • Not throwing this in here as a Buddhist Bible Thumper (a "Sutra Thumper"? ha) but as something to just reflect on and add to the mix:

In this world
    hostilities are never
    appeased by hostility.
    But by the absence of hostility
    are they appeased.
    This is an interminable truth.

Some do not understand
    that we are perishing here.
    Those who understand this
    bring their quarrels to rest.

Dhammapada (ch. 1)
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind said:

You seemed to suggest yourself, though perhaps not intentionally, that anger leads to action.

No... that's not what I'm suggesting at all. In fact, I'm suggesting the exact opposite: anger leads to inaction. You stay angry and b**ch and moan all day. That's about it.

I mean if you think it's okay to be angry and that gets you to points of peace in your life then, hey-- to each his own. Personally? I think anger is useless when it comes to positive motivation. The only thing anger motivates me to do is stay angry, which leads to self-pity and depression.
    riverflow
  • The only thing anger motivates me to do is stay angry, which leads to self-pity and depression.

To add to your thought ... (speaking from my own experience, learning the hard way!) being around someone angry is unpleasant to say the least, and so others tend to not stick around. It is very draining too. Who really wants to be around someone who is easily angered?
    SillyPutty
    edited May 2013
    riverflow said:

The only thing anger motivates me to do is stay angry, which leads to self-pity and depression.

To add to your thought ... (speaking from my own experience, learning the hard way!) being around someone angry is unpleasant to say the least, and so others tend to not stick around. It is very draining too. Who really wants to be around someone who is easily angered?
    I totally agree-- and I agree emphatically due to my own experiences in life as well, both being the angry one and wanting to steer clear of the angry ones, too!

And on that note, I still have other things to do, so it's time to practice some discipline and stay off this form for a bit right now! l8r
    I asked this already (no one replied), why does anger exist in us if it serves no useful purpose? Nature abhors wasted effort. :p
  • Nevermind said:

I asked this already (no one replied), why does anger exist in us if it serves no useful purpose? Nature abhors wasted effort. :p

That's a teleological question connected to broader metaphysical issues--and therefore it makes no sense to me. It implies someone designing an inherent intended purpose for anger, like a god. The idea of an objectively existing purpose stands on shaky ground. I don't even want to bother going there...

I just know what is harmful and what is not harmful from my own experience and reflecting on that.
    SillyPuttypersonkarmablues
    @Nevermind , my anger reminds me I am conflicted and frustrated. Frustration unsatisfied breeds anger, for me. Frustration channeled prevents anger.
    SillyPutty
  • Best to keep your mouth shut when swimming and when angry.
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summerlobster
    riverflow said:

Nevermind said:

That's a teleological question connected to broader metaphysical issues--and therefore it makes no sense to me. It implies someone designing an inherent intended purpose for anger, like a god. The idea of an objectively existing purpose stands on shaky ground. I don't even want to bother going there...

I just know what is harmful and what is not harmful from my own experience and reflecting on that.
    You're over-thinking or dodging the question, Riverflow, and that's your choice of course. If you'd like to think of it in more practical terms, everything that we are may be a product of evolution. If that's the case, our capacities apparently proved to be successful in accomplishing some goal. The most primary goal was probably survival, I'm thinking. So we might ask how anger has helped us to be successful, in survival if nothing else.
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    Can anger give rise to things such as compassion? Be a motivator to do positive things? I don't know. Emotions can often be tangled together with one effecting or causing another. I don't think it's an easy question to answer.

However, whether or not anger can potentially be harnessed into something more useful, it creates a lot of issues of it's own -- enough issues that it would be better to start from some other emotion to begin with, IMO. @riverflow made a post that I can very much relate too -- about anger eventually leading to dissillusionment and a sense of futility. It's easy for anger to get out of control, and it's easy to hold onto anger long after it is appropriate. When experienced frequently, it is also utterly exhausting.

I used to consume a lot more news media and frequented various political forums too. Now I steer clear of much of that, because I don't like the negative emotions they stir up, and I am tired of being angry. It's not the person I want to be, it's not how I want to interact with the world, and it's something I struggle with a lot because it is very ingrained in me at this point to react in certain ways. It's not that my political viewpoints have really changed all that much over the years, it's just that I don't want approach things the way I have in the past. But that is easier said than done, and at some point I have to separate myself from what is setting me off -- at least until I have a better handle on myself. This really has been my biggest struggle since becoming Buddhist. It's better not to end up in that place to begin with than have to deal with the frustration and burn out that anger dumps on you later.
  • I'm thinking in terms of personal practice. Looking for an "objective" purpose for anger is not relevant to me, and makes little sense outside the scope of practice.

As far as anger acheiving goals, well, yeah, it has-- but the question then is just WHAT goals has anger actually succeeded at? The answer can be found in history, the local newspaper, or in your own neighbourhood. Its not a pretty picture.
  • If Martin Luther King Jr succeeded, it was out of a sense of compassion and diligence. That is what aroused others to see the injustice of racism, not anger (I'm not saying MLK did not experience anger, but that is not what woke people up-- anybody can be angry, but to awaken others to injustice requires something more powerful and empowering than mere anger).
    karmablues
    edited May 2013
    riverflow said:

If Martin Luther King Jr succeeded, it was out of a sense of compassion and diligence. That is what aroused others to see the injustice of racism, not anger (I'm not saying MLK did not experience anger, but that is not what woke people up-- anybody can be angry, but to awaken others to injustice requires something more powerful and empowering than mere anger).

People were outraged when he was assassinated. There was riots etc. A lot of anger.
    Looking for an "objective" purpose for anger is not relevant to me
    Only your personal feelings and opinions are relevant to you in regard to purposes? Hmmm.
    Maybe we're confusing anger with hatred?
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    My personal experiences are relevent, which I try to learn from. My experiences with anger in many different contexts have always been harmful to myself and/or others. I have never experienced a situation with myself or others that has shown otherwise. When I am not angry, I can accomplish things far more skillfully. I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I'm merely relating my own understanding from my own experience, nothing more.
    I just find it very odd that we can ascribe goodness or usefulness to some emotions and ascribe badness and uselessness to others. It's kind of like saying my left hand is evil and my right hand is virtuous. Granted my left hand is used more for things that I won't mention, but I think I've made a point.
    kashiInvincible_summer
    It is, indeed, not the hand itself that is good or bad, but WHAT IT DOES. Given that good and bad are to a degree subjective, and meanings vary from person to person (I beg the pardon of those who hold that even with reality there is no present self), one needs to use one's own experiences to determine what to do to a large degree until one is enlightened.

Man cannot be fully just a "objective" thinker, intuitiveness and emotions get in the way. Psychology is a soft science still. Psychiatry is a baby science.

Some would say we are a set -- one mind altogether. I would have to say that except in well accomplished meditation the set is pretty much hidden.

It is, indeed, not the hand itself that is good or bad, but WHAT IT DOES.

So we agree, the left hand (anger) can be used for good. :D
  • Looks like a lot of reading to do later.. .just stoping by to check out the thread's progress. Lol
  • Where is the anger coming from/about? If it is because our ego is being threatened, I would posit that it is never good. If it is about compassion for another, and spurs us to right action it is good.