Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Expletive this city

I'm feeling rough and I'd love to hear others' thoughts on my experience.

On Sunday I got back from serving an Goenka Vipassana course for 3 days. Although the course was only 3 days it was the most transformational one yet. I made very close bonds with the people working there and upon returning to my house in the city I missed them dearly.

We worked in the kitchen close to 12 hours a day and whenever things went wrong or someone was mad at another, and it happened often, they would TRY to foster compassion and give others the benefit of the doubt. A particularly strong meditation session convinced me to correct a miscommunication with someone who I viewed as aggravating. We had a great talk and that person revealed their life story and I could really understand them after that.

Leaving the camp I had never felt more proud, more happy, more confident, more clear and more mature. Then... driving through a rich neighborhood when I got back to my home city the terror hit.

I'll probably never be that happy again! In the city VALUES are different. For example; in the meditation camp, we as a community chose specific values. Learning over results. Patience over efficiency. Helping others above serving ourselves. Taking the minimum over hoarding for ourselves. We all earned each other's respect. We did our part and were proud to be doing that.

In the city, this cannot exist, at least not in my city. Such little value is placed on happiness or the factors that lead to happiness. I saw a rich person's house all made of stone with these perfectly trimmed rectangular bushes. To the headspace I was in this was so INSANE!!! a) just let it grow, way more beautiful, b) why would you ever spend resources on such selfish petty needs that will bear so little happiness! Use your limited energy to love and to learn and to serve and to grow! c) To the average person in this city, this house would be desirable and they wouldn't realize the amount of neuroticism that was actually behind it.

So... after 3-4 days of being in the city, I'm back to being the same old person. That house is looking pretty sweet and I want it so that I can hide in it and the stone will keep me safe from the elements and the well trimmed bushes will keep me safe from the neighbors' judgment and it will also make them feel inadequate and it will look like I have my shit together.

I have redeveloped an aversion to life and I am clinging for my old habit of smoking. I have no one that I respect and no one that respects me. And even if I did get a piece of happiness, so what, it would just get Sh*t on over and over by people in the city until I was just like everyone else. I want to give but these people lack understanding.

If you are someone who is lucky enough to understand where I'm coming from can we discuss alternatives to this lifestyle? Are there any different kinds of cities out there? Is it a culture thing? Is anyone coping well and can give me a different perspective of their lives or how they manage?

My city is Toronto Canada by the way. It's terrifying because you adapt to your environment, and 2 hours of meditation a day isn't enough to prevent that. I can't spend my life in a meditation camp.

Many, many thanks,
Julian

Invincible_summerBeejDaltheJigsawDharmaMcBum

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @Julian - Well you could ordain... :p

Toronto is indeed busy. I live in Vancouver but have family in Toronto and I've visited often enough that I consider it a 2nd home. I don't think I could handle that sort of "Money and busy-ness = success" atmosphere.

But try to avoid the "grass is greener" syndrome! It's like that in many places (and arguably everywhere).

I think you could try to do some metta practice to reduce your negative attitudes towards others in your city, as well as yourself for being in this situation. Everyone else is suffering along with you - it often feels like we're alone in this suffering, but in reality it's quite the opposite. It's just that others may not realize it or want to express it as the latter is a bit taboo; admitting weakness is a big no-no in our performance and success-driven society.

So try to see others not as "sheeple" who "don't get it," but rather as other beings who are probably feeling the same way you are, but don't have the opportunity to realize it/express it. You can try to help them instead of seeing them as obstacles or enemies.

I know I'm not really giving any concrete "answers," but I hope that you'll get a bit of a different perspective that may help you cope with life in T.O.
    Beejzombiegirlfixingjulianperson
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, meditation was not enough for me either. I had to develop an attitude of keeping the peace inside that the meditation brought. It is sometimes a struggle to do so, and I now live in a small town near a 15,000 person area of people. The nearest true city is 25 miles away.

We have hospitals in the little town I live in and in the nearby area, about 7 miles to furthest of three hospitals nearby. So basic health needs can be cared for. I would say, seek out a center for meditation and a teacher, and talk a lot to the folk there. What you seem to need is company of like- minded folk, and that can often be found closer than people think. The nearest Sangha to me is 250 miles away.

As to adapting to environment, you have a home and can make it a place like you want to have for environment inside if you own it. Make your home conducive to practice of meditation and contemplation, and you have a refuge. Look at the pics of riverflow's little altar on this site, he rents an apartment. So even if you rent, there ar things you can do. Environments are made.
    BeejfixingjulianBarra
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Leaving the camp I had never felt more proud, more happy, more confident, more clear and more mature.
    I think I may have spotted your mistake . . .
    . . . You left . . .

How do we attain and stay or accept 'what is' as acceptable?

There are three ways:
    The first is practice.
    The second is the same as the first.
    The third is different to the first but the same as the second.

Peace and more Peace

fixingjulian
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I live in a rural area, in a village of 150 or so people, just outside a town of 3500 people. We are 90 miles from the nearest walmart, 50 miles from the nearest Target or McDonalds. The same problems exist. Unless you choose to ordain, the problems are inescapable, though I personally wouldn't recommend ordaining in order just to escape. The nice thing is, there are people like you in your city. Do you belong to a Sangha that you meet with and/or meditate with regularly? I find this to be most helpful. Someone even in my tiny community invited a Buddhist teacher here, then after the weekend retreat we got together and started a sangha. We were astounded to have 50 people show up for such a small (and very much largely sheltered, and Christian area). Meeting with them weekly and doing weekend retreats several times a year makes a HUGE difference. It is like recharging a battery that is running low. Just when my batteries for dealing with the every day lives of folks around me and their worries and stresses, it's time to meet, and I get recharged for the upcoming week. When I am doing that regularly, and meditating at home, I do pretty well. If I slack in meditation, or if our group doesn't meet for a couple weeks (our group leader is also an adventure tours owner and he runs tours several times a year) it notice it a lot. Find people to recharge with. I guarantee you they are around you.

It's funny, because the people who are in our group, many of them have lived here for all their lives, or for many years and I have never heard of them, except for one lady. The rest of them are like ghosts in our community. Quietly going about their ways, participating in parts of the community that are hiding in plain sight, that you won't see until you know how and where to find them. I suspect it is the same anywhere.
    fixingjuliansova
  • @fixingjulian, Your anger is afflicting you. Drop the vipassana for a while. Just do metta.
    rivercaneCinorjer
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

In the city, this cannot exist, at least not in my city.

A city is what its people make of it. If you believe it can't have something, it never will for you.
    karastiInvincible_summersova
  • rivercanerivercane Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Well, not to sound trite but if you have four walls and a roof over your head I'd say you're doing better than a lot of people on the planet. Add an adequate supply of clean water and decent food and clothing to the equation and I think you have all the ingredients necessary to make real spiritual progress.

I understand where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. I've never been to Toronto but I have lived in similiar places and I too had to learn how to skilfully navigate (in both a metaphorical and literal sense) through wealthy neighborhoods with their overpriced houses and perfectly manicured lawns, just as I had to learn how to travel through impoverished areas. Both require a different kind of understanding, imo.

I suppose one could start by considering the fact that everything is relative - someone with a million dollar home may be looked down upon by those who are ultra rich. Perhaps that person paid a million dollars just for their yacht and owns several homes. Similarly, many of the people who are poor in North America, where practically everyone at least has electricity and flush toilets, would be shocked by the living conditions of the poor in other nations.

I used to feel anger toward the very rich, mainly because they consume more in resources than they put back in taxes. Thanks to Buddhist teachings, I began to see things differently when I considered just how unhappy many of them are, how inadequate they must feel to have to derive their self worth by the car they drive or the brand name clothes they wear. How they constantly worry about their reputation and how they are perceived by other wealthy people. I can feel compassion for them now, even though I still feel the economic system is unfair and needs to change.

We are all suffering human beings and even though it is the poor who suffer more than anyone, I think there can also be a kind of freedom among the poor to just enjoy themselves that continually eludes rich people. Also consider countries where the gap between the rich and the poor is even greater than in Canada or America - places such as India or China. Yet many maintain a meaningful, happy, and spiritual life.

Don't go back to smoking if you can avoid it. That is slavery and will not bring true happiness. We can use external factors to justify drinking alcohol or smoking or taking drugs but usually it is just the addictive voice in our head making excuses to indulge one more time. Continue to meditate. Change your inner perceptions. Place an image of the Buddha on your wall. You are now living in a spiritual environment, no matter what the circumstances around you.

Cinorjerkarastikarmabluessova
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Wouldn't it be great if people everywhere could value getting along and communicating and being part of the group? Your retreat gave you a taste of our potential. Your home is showing you another side of humanity, that's all. Here is where it gets tricky. You have to love people the way they are. Granted, sometimes that means gritting your teeth and reminding yourself over and over that they're fellow suffering human beings.

If it was easy, the entire world would be a retreat.

fixingjuliansova

• I can't spend my life in a meditation camp

try to do the following whenever you feel or you can

whenever you 'see' something or someone (a wall, tree, man, child, dog etc) check whether you like 'it'
    or
    do not like 'it'
    and then check
    why do you like it?
    or
    why do not you like it?

whenever you 'hear' something (a song, cry, door-bang etc.) check whether you like 'it'
    or .......

whenever you 'smell' something (perfume, food etc.) check.....

whenever you 'taste' something (fish, apple, cucumber etc.) check.........

whenever you 'feel' something ( rough surface, smooth carpet etc) check....

whenever you 'remember' something or someone (some one from the office, relation, friend etc) check..........

if you can increase the 'trying' time that is the 'right effort' you make

meditation is not a big deal

:)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    All clinging is suffering. Everything would be great if only if......
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    This whole thread has hit home in me with some great timing.

The environment up in my human face is my work environment, and not the physical or psychological demands of being an oncology nurse working in a corporate hospital entity, but the sub-environment of my co-workers.

It's a lot like family -- you can't choose who you are related to, and no matter where you work, you can't choose with whom you work. Of course you can, you can leave and go work somewhere else only to discover the same shit is there because we work with other human beings. What I mean by 'no choice' is a person can't choose the nature of with whom they work.

My responses, reactions and work on the matter are clear to me, which does nothing whatsoever to ease me. Obviously cultivating metta and equanimity is in order.

I slept for 12 hours last night! I'm off today, and tried real hard to get up after a nice 8 hours. I even blew off all but 15 minutes of meditation, I was SO tired in my mind and heart and have only experienced the beginning of peace and release in meditation.

The Dharma is everywhere, all the time. Whether or not it is respected and attuned to by the beings is another story. My task, if I am going to continue to work where I do without massive aversion and craving to be away from it is to spend the next couple of days working with metta or else I'm going to quit lol!! I've been an RN for 22 years, and this is only the 76,298,172 time I've had this same aversion/craving smothering me. This time, I'm going to work with metta, self-metta and tonglen and metta for the co-workers who I spent the last three nights wishing would evaporate and leave ANYONE ELSE in their place. Thank you for this, OP, your suffering is our suffering, you are so not alone. And there is so much comfort and solution, as it were here on this thread, so thanks to all who've shared and encouraged, too :)

Gassho :)
    Barra
  • This time, I'm going to work with metta, self-metta and tonglen and metta for the co-workers who I spent the last three nights wishing would evaporate and leave ANYONE ELSE in their place.
    Are you ready to do this with your own arisings, or must they be changed in some way?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    There is the case where a monk — having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building — sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect and setting mindfulness to the fore [lit: the front of the chest]. Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.

Where is the city in that paragraph? Hehe... I can't believe anyone would want to live in any city... ive always found them crowded, stiffling, over rated, and pretentious. I feel like I'm entering a prison whenever I enter one and maintain that humans were not meant to live in such conditions even though now for the first time in history more humans live in cities then outside them.

Of course this is all negativity in my mind, I can be happy no matter where I am if I tried, but I can't remember a time in my life I was ever excited to go in one. I feel like I should live in one for a year to develop some equanimity :).
    lobster said:

This time, I'm going to work with metta, self-metta and tonglen and metta for the co-workers who I spent the last three nights wishing would evaporate and leave ANYONE ELSE in their place.
    Are you ready to do this with your own arisings, or must they be changed in some way?

I believe I am ready to do this with my own arisings. Yeah, I am. I'll find out if I'm not ready (unLOL). I am drawing a blank about 'must they be changed in some way'. I must do something. I'm open for specific suggestions, they'll be helpful for everyone.

• I'm open for specific suggestions
    The best is to find your own specifics. The important thing is to have metta and Tonglen as back ups if you feel overwhelmed.
    The specific question you might learn to address is how at core are 'aversion' and 'metta' different? Can you find their emptiness, their non arising start point. You may need the inner space and stability to do this. Do as much with this form as is comfortable.

Be careful. Trust your clear mind but not any arisings of emotive or mental mantles.

:wave:
    Hamsaka
    Metta and aversion can't seem to exist in the same mind space. In essence metta is inclusive and aversion exclusive. Metta is 'us' and aversion is 'me vs them'.

Finding their emptiness, the non arising start point is out there in my NEAR future, I hopefully intend :)

The experience I had last three days (and have in general) arises in full gory glory and knocks me out before my beginner's concentration stillness has a chance to say "What's thi-"

I feel my body shudder and clench, my 'core' (chest, torso) feels a variety of burning, nausea, steel plate, and then my mind feels compassion, in it's infinite wonkiness, and provides such solutions as "don't you just want to be HOME right now instead of here? Wouldn't it be great if he/she just DISAPPEARED? Go over there and tell her XXXXX, that will fix it" ad NAUSEUM, most of which I am mindful of but by then am already in the soup.

I don't react outwardly all that much, if at all. It stays thankfully all up in my head doing as little damage to the overt interpersonal world as possible. Inside the exhaustion is severe (more at some times, like this one, than others).

I appreciate this experience for it's liberal learning opportunities. My goal is the eradication of aversion for the sake of my suffering and the suffering of all beings.

@Lobster thank you, I am now in observation, study and inspection mode in a more specific way.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Hamsaka
    This might not apply to you and it is coached in zen speach but...

Aversion is a protective mode. It says that I think there is something within me that is vulnerable and needs to be protected.
    My most successful method for addressing this and the suffering that it's causing is through surrendering it up.
    By this I mean letting go of my protectiveness over whatever it is that is feeling vulnerable.
    For me it always turns out to be an attachment to something. Release my hold on the threatened attachment and it dissipates along with the aversion.
    Easy enough to say but doing seems to ask of everything possible as a cost.

HamsakaTheswingisyellow
    @How, yes, major concurrence here with the aversion being a protective mechanism.

Back to the OP and the 'assault' of the city upon him after the retreat (which is the exact same process I'm experiencing with different variables), what is it that, when 'threatened', causes the reaction of aversion?

I'm equating for myself being at 'home' in my personal environment with OP's retreat experience, but only in a process oriented way (not quality). My work environment experience is the equivalent of 'returning to the city' and experiencing the 'threat' to the something.

Whatever the something is, reactive aversion to protect it causes suffering. NOT the city, not the work environment.
    Release my hold on the threatened attachment and it dissipates along with the aversion.
    The attachment and the aversion arise from a single cause, then? For the sake of understanding dependent origination :)
    Easy enough to say but doing seems to ask of everything possible as a cost.
    I'll bet :ninja: Thanks for this, it makes perfect sense.

Theswingisyellowlobster
  • I really don't understand why you get so bothered when you come home from retreat. What possible effect does other people's homes have on your happiness? Why do you presume that such a lifestyle doesn't make them happy? I'm much happier with my larger home now than the ramshackle apartment I used to have in Georgia. The neuroticism seems to be on your part for obsessing over how other people live their lives.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Frozen_Paratrooper
    It helps make things clearer if you directly address the person you are talking to or put their quote on your post.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
  • fixingjulianfixingjulian Explorer
    edited January 2014
    @Hamsaka

Thanks a lot. I'm proud and grateful that my post resonated with you so
    strongly.

It's a pretty old post so I feel like I can write a part 2. A sequel if you will. Thinking of calling it "On dealing with an insurmountable foe."

I hope you'll read it.

It's also probably going to pull a decent amount from these replies.
    Wow!!! It is really an old post, I missed that :) I'm so glad it popped up, it is very 'up' for me, and I'm grateful you wrote it out, it's such a universal experience. Will you be writing "Part 2" in a blog or here?
  • fixingjulianfixingjulian Explorer
    edited January 2014
    @Frozen_Paratrooper
    I see where you are coming from. I think it was just such a culture shock. You gotta picture going to Japan or somewhere with heavy formalities and feeling like what's the big deal, it was so much better where I came from because everyone was more at ease. It's just an example. Then it's that feeling of isolation and powerlessness with that.

And I think that it was more about highlighting the contrast in values between the retreat and this particular home. So yes, you are correct that I can't presume that their lifestyle doesn't make them happy. Let alone can I presume much from a set of well trimmed hedges.

And then I do think that people's homes have an affect on the environment and in turn an affect on me. So I think that on some level it's reasonable to feel a particular way about it.
  • @Hamsaka
    I'll write it here :)