Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Never seen Capaldi, how's he doing?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited September 2014

@federica Pretty good! Started off rather wonky because he'd lost his memory, almost like a man with Alzheimer's or dementia (and for the Doctor, it's great fun!), but it's more steady now. The last episode before today, Time Heist, could become another stand-alone episode (like Blink) to introduce people to Doctor Who that've never seen it before.

Rowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well done, @Jeffrey, keep it up! :thumbsup: .

Jeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

So, I'm announcing that I hate my job. Also, I really like the TV show Srugim, and I went on a short meditation retreat this weekend. That is all.

1) I'm sorry to hear that. I'd like to know what working again, feels like though, if I'm honest....

2) I'll have to look it up - not sure if it's here, whether I could get it, and what it even is....

3) Glad you got to go. Will read the link and savour the moment. Oh, hang on......

:D .

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

My siblings are fighting on facebook...

About politics.

Thanksgiving should be interesting.

VastmindhowBuddhadragon

Michael Crawford made that role very much his own. Amazing performance.... Delighted you're going to see it.... You should enjoy it tremendously!

Vastmind
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

@federica said:
    Well done, Jeffrey, keep it up! :thumbsup: .

Ditto.

VastmindJeffrey

I watched a film on BBC iplayer last night, with my mum. She has seen it before.
    It's titled "The Lives of Others" and is set in East Germany, at a time before the Wall came down. I was mesmerised by it and have not read a negative review of it.
    For UK-based members, it's available to watch on iplayer until this coming Saturday morning. For those elsewhere, Netflix may help, but if you can find it, and the time, I heartily recommend it. It's in German with English subtitles.
    The main actor has sadly since died, but his performance is wonderful and he was perfectly cast...
    Great film, right up to the very final moment.

• "The Lives of Others"

Saw it a while back. Great film.

• Mr Cushion is now available for digital office workers . . .
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/junhao/darma-sit-smart-for-a-healthy-body-and-mind

:wave: .

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

If apart from photo apps you invented the "Darma" cushion, I have to go all the way back to school with my son, I'm such a dunce!

• I have no connection to the Darma Cushion project. Just feel it might be helpful to some . . .

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    Mr Cushion is now available for digital office workers . . .
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/junhao/darma-sit-smart-for-a-healthy-body-and-mind

Is there a version for meditators which administers a mild electric shock when the onset of snoozing is detected?
    :p .

lobsterHamsakaSarahT
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I want a PlayStation 4.

@bookworm said:
    I want a PlayStation 4.

What's that? I'll have to ask my boy...
    :scratch: ..

SarahT

The price alone is sufficient to shock me into sitting up straight......!

bookworm
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

@DhammaDragon its a video game system, i'm surprised you never heard of it lol

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I'm always amused when I read things like:

Physical inactivity is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. and the fourth in the world.

Really? How is this measured? There's no other factors at play?

Hamsaka

@Bunks said:
    Physical inactivity is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. and the fourth in the world.

My guess is that they're using proxy measures like obesity, diabetes or heart disease.

Bunks
    edited October 2014

@Bunks said:

One of the side effects of too much indulging in Playstation 4?

I stopped being bemused by these gadgets since old dear Atari..
    :p ..

SarahT
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Is there a version for meditators which administers a mild electric shock when the onset of snoozing is detected?

You might try a matching wristband . . .
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/pavlok/
    :hair: .

Dear congenial and forbearing sangha:
    Tiny announcement here.
    Tomorrow, I'm leaving off for Buenos Aires for three weeks.
    My hand baggage includes my cellphone (hopefully with roaming fee working properly), a silly notebook set in German (which as expected, changes to capitals all nouns), and my son's tablet for us to be able to cater to his Talking Tom's needs.

Also included (can't help it, I'm that crazy) are my F.L. Woodward's "Some Sayings of the Buddha" and Paul Carus' "The Gospel of the Buddha."
    I still might include dear old T.W. Rhys-Davids' "Buddhism."

Whatever, just chiming in fast because I have a lot of packing to do.
    I'm all freaked out at the weight restrictions, and unfortunately the weather in Buenos Aires does not help to ease my mind.
    It is ranging from 13° to 20° during the day, but crashes to 5° in the evening, so I'll have to include heavy warm clothes.
    I soooo hate packing!!

A farewell kiss to everyone and hopefully I can log in from time to time over there...

VastmindBunksHamsakaDavid
  • ^^^^ fair thee well

Buddhadragon

Hasta la vista!

..or is it Ahi nos vemos!?

Buddhadragon
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2014

I wanna go !!!!!!!.... :rant: ..... Take me with you!!!!!!!!

Buddhadragon

@Jason said:
    So, I'm announcing that I hate my job. Also, I really like the TV show Srugim, and I went on a short meditation retreat this weekend. That is all

I hate my job too. Im grateful for even having one.....but the political stress is getting to me. Im gonna have to step up on the sitting.......

edited October 2014

I was out with the local astronomy club last night and had a go on some telescopes, and with some help I managed to find a galaxy! Obviously it was one of the ones they already know about, it wasn't a new discovery called "Spiny Andromeda". :D .
    We also had an interesting discussion about space aliens.

VastmindlobsterBunks

@DhammaDragon said: ..... Also included (can't help it, I'm that crazy) are my F.L. Woodward's "Some Sayings of the Buddha" and Paul Carus' "The Gospel of the Buddha."
    I still might include dear old T.W. Rhys-Davids' "Buddhism."

What, no "25 shades of Grey"...? (it's the abridged version....)

A farewell kiss to everyone and hopefully I can log in from time to time over there...

>

Take care, take jumpers and take your passport and tickets.
    Always a good idea....

Buddhadragon
  • @SpinyNorman said:

We also had an interesting discussion about space aliens.

Hopefully you will set up an abduction program. First you need a lure. I hear they are partial to wheat . . .

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2014

Apparently they just like to mathematically dance upon it for the sky bound view that it creates. Personally I see this kind of tagging as a sign that aliens have no more control over their teenagers than we do.

lobsterDairyLamaShoshinVastmind
    edited October 2014

@lobster said:

Hopefully you will set up an abduction program

No need to re-invent the wheel! I just wish they wouldn't keep using those probes. :wow: :D .

I have just ordered my first telescope. How exciting!

VastmindHamsaka
    edited October 2014

The show last night was AWESOME!!!! The sets and lighting were gorgeous, there was pyrotechs....even the chandelier came down with all the dramatics of the story!!! The singing was breath taking....and we both cried like a baby at the end. We got there early enough to site see around the old theater and it was well worth the wait all these years!!!

Next: The Symphony Orchestra in Germantown. A friend of mine ushers and we got a hook up! 3rd row middle!!!

It means so much to me that I can expose my children and give the opportunities to experience the arts and just a different world/ view point than alot of Black folks don't/can't get...especially in a poor state in the South. I'm mindful about not tunneling their identity and not limiting their social weaves. It's not bec I have tons of money...but I make it happen bec it's important to me. The hook ups always seem to fall into place...and for my co workers who the other day said..." What? Who goes and sees things like that"? ....... We do. .. :) ... That's how we get turned up in my house!!!

Tickets to the symphony???? Turn down for what? lolololol

Hamsakalobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

It is ranging from 13° to 20° during the day, but crashes to 5° in the evening, so I'll have to include heavy warm clothes.

Is that celcius or fahrenheit?

• 85% cocoa chocolate bar is way too much!

lobster

@Jeffrey ...How's the nicotine quit going?

Keep up the good work .. :) ..

@Bunks said:
    Is that celcius or fahrenheit?

Celsius, @Bunks.

@federica said:
    What, no "25 shades of Grey"...? (it's the abridged version....)

After almost sixteen years of marriage, I would need something like "150 shades of Grey," the mega-expanded, director's cut, uncensored, unauthorized, illustrated Edition!!!..

:clap: ..

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

^
    ^
    23 days and counting... That's the easy part. Quiting is easy and full of moments of ecstasy. Staying Quit is the hard part. But winter's coming and you can go outside and breathe in the cold, crisp air: a wonderful substitute for the exhaust fumes from a cigarette.

Jeffreybookworm

@DhammaDragon said:
    :clap: ..

Oh....You too, huh....?

VastmindBuddhadragon

@Nirvana said:
    23 days and counting... That's the easy part.

:-/ .

(raises hand) ..... me three.

Buddhadragon
  • Gosh who would have thought it so hard to put sound into the cloud . . .
    Anyway here is me (maybe) ranting on mantra.
    https://app.box.com/s/mze7t722ve6ku93udf1x
    Might have to download . . . wot no streaming?

edited October 2014

I got my telescope today and have assembled it so it looks roughly like the picture on the box. I couldn't follow the instructions, it was all stuff like "tighten knob A and rotate dial B 180 degrees" but there are so many knobs and dials I got a bit confused, it's all very technical. :p .
    Anyway, I hope to gaze at a star later, how exciting! So many to choose from! Or maybe I'll spot some space aliens! :D .

lobsterHamsaka

Start easy. look at the moon. Even though it's probably the most common, closest and easily-identifiable object in the night sky - I still love looking at it....